Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Latest AP Football Poll

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

I have Whiteland at 16 miles from Indy and Bellmont 22 miles from Fort Wayne about a 6 miles difference. I still don't consider Whiteland an Indianapolis area school just like I wouldn't consider Martinsville, Franklin, or Shelbyville Indy area schools. 

I think it depends on where you are from.  Coming from the south, I see everything from north of Bloomington to Noblesville as an Indy school. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

I kind of think of it as if you're 45 minutes to 1 hour drive from the Circle, you are de facto "Indianapolis" because you could go there to school if you wanted and as a school you are within realistic driving distance to enjoy the benefits of being in the Indy metro area.

I get it. I can say with passion Mt Vernon (Fortville) does not feel by De Facto they are a part of INDY. Just a thought.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

I get it. I can say with passion Mt Vernon (Fortville) does not feel by De Facto they are a part of INDY. Just a thought.

Mt Vernon (at least to me) feels like an Indy school. Large parts of Fortville and McCordsville are very suburban.

I would not consider a school like Lebanon or WeBo to be Indy area school but by some people definition they are consider Boone is a doughnut county.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

Good point. Since moving to Lawrence a fee years ago my definition of an Indy school has completely changed. Now Id never consider Mt. Vernon Fortville to to be Indy. I'm there every day and it seems more small town.  

45 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Why does it matter so much if any school is an Indy area school? 

It really doesn't matter to anyone from the Indy area. The rest of the State seems to be where the concern is.

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Fair

Noblesville and Westfield about the furthest North you can get.

Glad Hamilton Heights is at 26 miles(or so). It's north of 256th st(25.6 miles from the Circle) and south of 266th st.

9 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

What's that one mean?

4 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

It means he wanted to groan at my pun/dad joke. 

@gonzoron's right.  We really need GID to have a *groan* response.  It's so appropriate for the punsters that frequent GID's threads. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

I am not so sure I would say Whiteland is an Indy area school. How far out would you consider Indianapolis to be? Would you consider Dekalb and Belmont part of Fort Wayne? Whiteland is about the same distance from Indianapolis as those schools are to Fort Wayne.

Does that make Sheridan and Tri-West part of Indianapolis too?

Whiteland's school district borders Marion County. It's not an "Indy school," but it is definitely suburban Indianapolis, as much as Brownsburg, Center Grove and Hamilton Southeastern. 

7 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Whiteland's school district borders Marion County. It's not an "Indy school," but it is definitely suburban Indianapolis, as much as Brownsburg, Center Grove and Hamilton Southeastern. 

Greenwood school district borders Marion County on the north side of Johnson County. Whiteland is south of Greenwood.

I consider any school within Marion County a Indianapolis area school. My list of schools playing football: Arsenal Tech, Crispus Attucks, Washington, Shortridge, Beech Grove, Decatur Central, Franklin Central, Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, Perry Meridian, Southport, Pike, Speedway, Warren Central, North Central, Ben Davis, Christel House Manual, Tindley, Bishop Chatard, Brebeuf Jesuit, Cardinal Ritter, Cathedral, Covenant Christian, Heritage Christian, Lutheran, Park Tudor, Roncalli, Scecina Memorial, Indiana Deaf, and Purdue Polytechnic

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Greenwood school district borders Marion County on the north side of Johnson County. Whiteland is south of Greenwood.

I consider any school within Marion County a Indianapolis area school. My list of schools playing football: Arsenal Tech, Crispus Attucks, Washington, Shortridge, Beech Grove, Decatur Central, Franklin Central, Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, Perry Meridian, Southport, Pike, Speedway, Warren Central, North Central, Ben Davis, Christel House Manual, Tindley, Bishop Chatard, Brebeuf Jesuit, Cardinal Ritter, Cathedral, Covenant Christian, Heritage Christian, Lutheran, Park Tudor, Roncalli, Scecina Memorial, Indiana Deaf, and Purdue Polytechnic

Whiteland's school district wraps around Greenwood's and includes all of the unincorporated land east of Greenwood in Johnson County. It actually borders Marion County for more miles than Center Grove does. 

"Indianapolis" schools are those in Marion County. 

"Indianapolis-area" schools are those in Marion County and the eight donut counties (and I'd add Pendleton Heights into that, too), as the donut counties - *especially* the ones that border Marion County that are largely bedroom communities (Plainfield, Avon, Brownsburg, Zionsville, Carmel, HSE/Fishers, Mt. Vernon, New Pal, Whiteland, Greenwood, Center Grove ... and to a lesser degree, Triton Central, although Shelby County has basically forbade residential development outside of Shelbyville, thus keeping TC a small, largely rural school). 

29 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Whiteland's school district wraps around Greenwood's and includes all of the unincorporated land east of Greenwood in Johnson County. It actually borders Marion County for more miles than Center Grove does. 

While that is true, it is still land that includes or connects directly to Greenwood.  I am not sure why Greenwood gave us so much school district land either in or just outside their city limits to Whiteland...perhaps they are limited on growth options.  Regardless, I think most people in Johnson County consider Whiteland and Franklin to be mid Johnson county in terms of their location.  Is that still Indy metro area? I would say so being a donut county.

16 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I would not consider a school like Lebanon or WeBo to be Indy area school but by some people definition they are consider Boone is a doughnut county.

They are both Indy area schools, "benefiting" from the encroaching urban sprawl.   A schools like Sheridan is as well.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

While that is true, it is still land that includes or connects directly to Greenwood.  I am not sure why Greenwood gave us so much school district land either in or just outside their city limits to Whiteland...perhaps they are limited on growth options.  Regardless, I think most people in Johnson County consider Whiteland and Franklin to be mid Johnson county in terms of their location.  Is that still Indy metro area? I would say so being a donut county.

Greenwood was a pre-consolidation "school city" and only includes the city limits. The unincorporated land to the west (White River Township) has always been Center Grove. The unincorporated land to the east of Greenwood is Clark Township - it had its own (very small) high school until the 1960s when it was consolidated into Whiteland (same with Union Township - it was consolidated into Franklin at about the same time). Geographically, it would've made sense for Clark Township to consolidate with Greenwood, but the 1959 Consolidation Act required districts to have at least 1,000 students and a certain amount of assessed valuation. Greenwood likely already met that threshold, so it was unlikely to desire to consolidate with any neighbors and give up its identity as a school/community or take on excess costs sending buses to what were then "the boonies." 

The whole consolidation era is a fascinating one and we see the results of it today - lots of schools built exactly halfway between the consolidating towns, school colors that were chosen as a mix of the pre-consolidation schools (in some cases). I've lived in Hancock County for 25 years and the hyphen in Greenfield-Central's name is a point of contention more than 50 years post-consolidation (basically, the Greenfield people have been trying to quietly eliminate it, while the Hancock Central people have tried to ensure it remains). 

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

They are both Indy area schools, "benefiting" from the encroaching urban sprawl.   A schools like Sheridan is as well.

Whitestown (in Lebanon's district) is the fastest-growing community in Indiana. While the community is likely more economically tied to Zionsville, the students living there go to Lebanon schools. 

The "outer fringe" schools in the donut counties - WeBo, Sheridan, Hamilton Heights, Tri-West, Danville, Cascade, Edinburgh, Indian Creek, Eastern Hancock, Hamilton Heights (and to a lesser degree, Shelbyville, Martinsville & Greenfield-Central) are likely far enough away that the suburban pull of Indy isn't *quite* as much of a factor for them, but they do have some suburban influence. Tri-West and Cascade, definitely, are starting to feel it because their districts are close enough to I-70 and I-74 that Brownsburg and Plainfield have largely begun to grow into their districts. Same with Greenfield-Central - it's not quite the booming bedroom community Mt. Vernon and New Pal are, but its proximity to I-70 will bring about some degree of suburbanization. It'll be interesting to see what effect I-69's completion has on Martinsville. 

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Doesn't really matter.  They are an accident of geography.

Don't think Sheridan is "benefitting" from urban sprawl. I think the reverse is more accurate. Sheridan has one of the proudest football traditions in the state. They haven't won a sectional in 10 years. I would categorize their enrollment as stagnant at best. Seems like they are losing families looking to move closer to Indy. Certainly don't fit the profile of a school corporation benefitting from urban sprawl.