Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is your school open for business on Saturday?

There's a well-known story about how New Pal won the 4A football title in 2014 on a Friday, and the guys were lined up at the weight room door Saturday morning, because that's what they do - they work out on Saturday mornings after film.

(Coach Ralph told them to go home and enjoy the weekend, but that's the culture - NP's players spend a lot of time in the weight room). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Is it typical for football players to workout the morning after a game? I was referring more to the overall culture of a school in all sports. 

I can only speak for one school but “yes”.  I think it just goes with the program if you want to be competitive.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Is it typical for football players to workout the morning after a game? I was referring more to the overall culture of a school in all sports. 

Can't speak for other schools, but the weight room culture at New Pal is pretty significant across sports. Coach Ralph has overseen the weightlifting/conditioning for the softball program, which has won three state championships since he came to NP. The athletes in other sports see what football is doing and they do the same. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Can't speak for other schools, but the weight room culture at New Pal is pretty significant across sports. Coach Ralph has overseen the weightlifting/conditioning for the softball program, which has won three state championships since he came to NP. The athletes in other sports see what football is doing and they do the same. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the New Pal softball team lifted on the day of one of their state championships.  There are STILL baseball coaches who believe (even in the off season) that pitchers shouldn't lift like every other athlete. Really unbelivable.

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So High School Football is now a job for the players?

Depends on whether or not they want to win a championship. There are many lessons learned from playing any sport. Building a championship team is one of them. Work hard and win in the game of football, work hard and win in the game of life. Not a bad lesson if you ask me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coachkj said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the New Pal softball team lifted on the day of one of their state championships.  There are STILL baseball coaches who believe (even in the off season) that pitchers shouldn't lift like every other athlete. Really unbelivable.

Really?  On THE day of a SC game?  Someone please tell me what rationale I am missing out on here, and why this should make sense.

Edited by Bonecrusher

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

The phrase "open for business" indicates just that, a business where hired employees strive to do the wishes of their employer in exchange for remuneration.  Aka a "job".

You're a real peach... I'm not the only one who interpreted your comment as being against schools having athletes coming in on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

The phrase "open for business" indicates just that, a business where hired employees strive to do the wishes of their employer in exchange for remuneration.  Aka a "job".

I give up. 

• Haha 2

<insert deity here> forbid we let children be children for once, especially on a weekend. No, practically every waking moment of their birth-to-18 existence must be filled with planned (by adults) activities and "optional" workouts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

<insert deity here> forbid we let children be children for once, especially on a weekend. No, practically every waking moment of their birth-to-18 existence must be filled with planned (by adults) activities and "optional" workouts. 

I doubt high school age 'young people' prefer to be classified as children. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I doubt high school age 'young people' prefer to be classified as children. 

some old enough to go to war within a year, but he prefers to call them children so as to reinforce the BS misinterpretation he made about your title

Edited by Rodney
  • Like 1
  • Disdain 1

When Southridge won state in 2017, Southport HS opened their facilities to us on Saturday morning so the players could get a lift in the morning of the State Championship game. (Which Southridge went on to win) This is not uncommon for Southridge as they have done similar workouts each time they have been to state. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bonecrusher said:

Really?  On THE day of a SC game?  Someone please tell me what rationale I am missing out on here, and why this should make sense.

They won, so it worked. 

Coach Ralph is a big believer in keeping your lifting schedule and yes, lifting on gameday if that's on the schedule. They wanted to get a light workout in before the game to stay in-routine. 

7 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

They won, so it worked. 

Coach Ralph is a big believer in keeping your lifting schedule and yes, lifting on gameday if that's on the schedule. They wanted to get a light workout in before the game to stay in-routine. 

I could see a light routine just to get the blood flowing. My first thought would be to rest your players on gameday. Not my area of expertise. Would love to hear what others have to say. 

Another thought would be to rest your players the day after. Again, would like some insight on this. 

16 minutes ago, BTF said:

I could see a light routine just to get the blood flowing. My first thought would be to rest your players on gameday. Not my area of expertise. Would love to hear what others have to say. 

Another thought would be to rest your players the day after. Again, would like some insight on this. 

I was in the weight room 4 hours a day 7 days a week all 6 years of high school

and I turned out alright

Edited by Rodney
  • Haha 3