Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2023

Irishman

IU football can't afford Tom Allen's buyout, but can it afford the program bottoming out?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/10/17/iu-football-cant-afford-fire-tom-allen-buyout-contract-so-the-descent-continues-indiana-hoosiers/71207908007/

(Note: Story is behind a paywall)

IU football coach Tom Allen is waffling again about his starting quarterback, and you wonder if anyone is waffling about Tom Allen. No, you don’t wonder about the fan base. The fans have decided — they’re done with Tom Allen — but when it comes to football the IU fan base is not, shall we say, impactful.

Without enough alumni making enough noise (like this was IU basketball), the Hoosiers are right where they’ve been for a few years: Not good enough at quarterback, not good enough at offensive coordinator, not good enough at defensive coordinator, not good enough at head coach.

Not good enough.

The Hoosiers are on the hamster wheel again, where they’ve been for the better part of forever, leaving the IU administration stuck between an overmatched coach, disinterested fan base and increasingly unforgiving Big Ten Conference.

Firing Tom Allen after the season will cost IU a buyout of about $20 million, a ludicrous sum that goes down to the more reasonable $8 million neighborhood after the 2024 season. That’s a difference of about $12 million, so let’s look at it that way: Firing Tom Allen after this season will cost the school about $12 million.

What will it cost to keep him?

Good question.  How much farther can this program fall under Mr. Allen?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

IU football can't afford Tom Allen's buyout, but can it afford the program bottoming out?

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2023/10/17/iu-football-cant-afford-fire-tom-allen-buyout-contract-so-the-descent-continues-indiana-hoosiers/71207908007/

(Note: Story is behind a paywall)

Good question.  How much farther can this program fall under Mr. Allen?

No coach in America benefitted from the fool’s gold that was the Covid season than Tom Allen. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, temptation said:

No coach in America benefitted from the fool’s gold that was the Covid season than Tom Allen. 

Absolutely!!! I just can’t get out of my head  him and the team celebrating like they won a title when they beat Akron in overtime a few weeks ago. Dumpster fire in Bloomington

Edited by Komets2727

12 hours ago, temptation said:

You have a short list of candidates you’re willing to share?

They won't spend the $$, but they need a name coach to rip the program inside out and rebuild it....also to generate fan interest. 

Maybe Michigan's DC Jesse Minter or Brian Hartline (OC) from OSU.  I also wonder if Washington State or Oregon State's HC's with some cash would be willing to bail and jump to a Power 5 team like Indiana??  It would take some serious cash, but they are running tremendous programs at their schools.

19 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

They won't spend the $$, but they need a name coach to rip the program inside out and rebuild it....also to generate fan interest. 

Maybe Michigan's DC Jesse Minter or Brian Hartline (OC) from OSU.  I also wonder if Washington State or Oregon State's HC's with some cash would be willing to bail and jump to a Power 5 team like Indiana??  It would take some serious cash, but they are running tremendous programs at their schools.

I'd be all-in on Hartline. Kane Wommack is quietly having a great start to his career at South Alabama after a good stint as Indiana's DC a few years back. You could convince me 64 year old Willie Fritz at Tulane as a 4-5 year band aid solution is a better option.

The difference in buy-out between the end of this season and the end of next season is $12million. And while that may seem like a lot, especially if they fire him after this year with his $20million buyout, it's paid over the course of his remaining contract shelf life (5 years). Indiana is about to see a major media revenue boost to start next season when these PAC12 teams are set to join. Current deal is around ~$60 million and figures estimate the new deal to be around ~$90mil a year. 

Indiana can "afford" to fire Tom Allen after this year. The real question is, does Indiana actually want to invest in the program. I'm talking a brand new practice/indoor facility. A weight room that is exclusive to the football team (they share with other sports). And just an overall salary pool increase to not only attract, but keep quality assistants. You can fire Tom Allen and the next guy might be better, but nothing is going to last until the latter happens. And it may never happen.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Both are high school coaches for a reason.

Can't compare the two. One was successful everywhere he went. The Tulsa catastrophe doesn't count. Whereas the other couldn't win with the most resources in the state. 

Edited by BTF

1 minute ago, BTF said:

Can't compare the two. One was successful everywhere he went. The Tulsa catastrophe doesn't count. Whereas the other couldn't win with the most resources in the state. 

Neither should be coaching a B10 program.

If they fire Allen just to promote Kevin Wright, well I'm done lol. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

I'd be all-in on Hartline. Kane Wommack is quietly having a great start to his career at South Alabama after a good stint as Indiana's DC a few years back. You could convince me 64 year old Willie Fritz at Tulane as a 4-5 year band aid solution is a better option.

The difference in buy-out between the end of this season and the end of next season is $12million. And while that may seem like a lot, especially if they fire him after this year with his $20million buyout, it's paid over the course of his remaining contract shelf life (5 years). Indiana is about to see a major media revenue boost to start next season when these PAC12 teams are set to join. Current deal is around ~$60 million and figures estimate the new deal to be around ~$90mil a year. 

Indiana can "afford" to fire Tom Allen after this year. The real question is, does Indiana actually want to invest in the program. I'm talking a brand new practice/indoor facility. A weight room that is exclusive to the football team (they share with other sports). And just an overall salary pool increase to not only attract, but keep quality assistants. You can fire Tom Allen and the next guy might be better, but nothing is going to last until the latter happens. And it may never happen.

No disagreement with the buyout...I was talking more about spending the $$ to bring an outstanding established head coach from a Power 5 school.  Jonathan Smith (Oregon State HC) Jake Dikert (Washington St HC) are not going to be cheap to bring in.  Smith maybe a pipe dream given he's an Oregon St alum, but Dikert is a Wisconsin guy and IU no reason couldn't get him back to the midwest.  But IU would need to spend some $$ on football.  

11 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I'm just wondering why he's still the tight ends coach after four years. Is he just waiting his turn in line? Certainly he has more to offer a program than coaching the tight ends. Maybe he's content with low stress, good pay? I'm not promoting him as the next coach at IU, I just think he's probably smarter than the guy he works for. 

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Agreed 100%.  Heck, Wright hasn't been able to get promoted to the OC role at IU under Allen, let along HC.  

1 minute ago, BTF said:

I'm just wondering why he's still the tight ends coach after four years. Is he just waiting his turn in line? Certainly he has more to offer a program than coaching the tight ends. Maybe he's content with low stress, good pay? I'm not promoting him as the next coach at IU, I just think he's probably smarter than the guy he works for. 

That's fair...agree with that....but just don't see Wright being considered as HC of a Power 5 program without being a coordinator.  But, who knows??

3 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Agreed 100%.  Heck, Wright hasn't been able to get promoted to the OC role at IU under Allen, let along HC.  

That's fair...agree with that....but just don't see Wright being considered as HC of a Power 5 program without being a coordinator.  But, who knows??

Agree. It would never happen. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

He's still likely getting a nice $200-300k salary a year coaching TE's. I really don't know what he does at IU. The guy before him recruited both Ian Thomas and Peyton Hendershot (both NFL) and after inheriting Hendershot for his senior year, the TE room has been awful under Wright's direction. 2/3 top TE's this year are walk-ons with one being a lacrosse player from Chicago who came to IU without ever playing a down of football in high school.

Edited by Footballking16

Everything changes after this season. While some change has occurred with NIL and the transfer portal, the game changes completely with the expanded playoff and expanded conferences for next season. Competitive programs will have to find ways to pay players. Schools have to be willing to commit to that. Even now, I don’t believe admins in Bloomington have shown a willingness to do so. 

I agree that Hartline is a guy to consider, but I am certain he goes to any school and starts out by saying, here is what we do in Columbus to have a top tier program; if you are not willing to commit to that, I am not your guy. I would even say the same for a guy like Mike Hart, who would also be a solid prospect. 

Joel Klatt said it best during the game Saturday; teams in a position where IU is are basically a farm team. Kids that are not highly recruited will go there, play one season and look for opportunities elsewhere. Guys at IU not getting playing time will likely go to a non power 5 conference to get playing time. Unless IU makes a huge push to pay some solid talent, they will be stuck where they are regardless of who the head coach is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1