Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2023

Irishman

18 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

While this isn’t an ISU thread, such a bummer Sycamore’s lose out on hosting the Super Regional. They had earned it!! 

image.thumb.png.2e1681d52582942cd06cac0cdd33d922.png

Terre Haute is no Bloomington or Lafayette/West Lafayette.  That said, with classes out just open up the dorms.  Should be plenty of sleeping space.

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Terre Haute is no Bloomington or Lafayette/West Lafayette.  That said, with classes out just open up the dorms.  Should be plenty of sleeping space.

I understand the importance of hosting the annual Indiana Special Olympics event.  I just can't get my arms around that its an "either/or" proposition.

Now the baseball team, that earned the right to play at home, has to go down to TCU and win 2of 3 on their home field to earn a trip to the College WS.  Nice job admin.

23 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I understand the importance of hosting the annual Indiana Special Olympics event.  I just can't get my arms around that its an "either/or" proposition.

Now the baseball team, that earned the right to play at home, has to go down to TCU and win 2of 3 on their home field to earn a trip to the College WS.  Nice job admin.

Man, beyond frustrated....AD made decision about lack of resources without even discussing it with the city.  Why do I think his department received a nice check to move the location of the Super Regional, putting his team on the road?  BTW, media interviews with local hotels determine accomodations not the issue.

https://www.wthitv.com/news/i-wish-it-would-have-been-a-collective-community-decision-city-leaders-former-isu-players/article_9750d2e6-04a6-11ee-b03b-f374dad58e58.html

Listen to president of the university...dumps it on the AD.  Again, never talks with city officials about staffing needed to pull it off.

https://www.wthitv.com/news/isu-president-addresses-controversial-decision-to-withdraw-bid-to-host-super-regionals/article_09c51104-04c3-11ee-afd9-c76aa8256a7d.html

Really disappointed in this administration...they sold out their team.  BTW, when is the last time ISU has made the sweet 16 in anything with an opportunity to host a major event that would have exposed the school all over national TV??  Nice call jackwagons!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Really disappointed in this administration...they sold out their team.  BTW, when is the last time ISU has made the sweet 16 in anything with an opportunity to host a major event that would have exposed the school all over national TV??  Nice call jackwagons!!

At least the Indiana Special Olympics organization made some sweet dough:  https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/06/tcu-fans-graciously-paid-it-forward-donating-over-23000-to-indianas-special-olympics

The Lupton Drinking Club, a TCU sports-based podcast, put out a call to action June 5. In fewer than two days, it’s been retweeted more than 800 times. That’s resulted in more than $23,000 in new funding for the Special Olympics.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Irishman said:

Just in time for IU's football season

Thanks for sharing this info, I'll give it a try.  I usually like Upland products,  recently had their Paw Paw sour which was excellent. 

A few years ago I had a "Boiler Gold", brewed by People's Brewing Company in Lafayette.  It tasted like old, stinky feet.  But then again most of the products from PBC taste that way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tom Allen is right -- the Big Ten shouldn't be playing on Fridays

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2023/09/07/iu-football-tom-allen-is-right-big-ten-shouldnt-play-on-fridays/70769842007/

Tom Allen seemed to rile himself up Saturday, when he started discussing the Hoosiers’ upcoming game.

Allen had just finished with Ohio State, any frustration lingering from a 23-3 defeat certainly understandable. But it wasn’t that opponent, or the next one, that stirred him.

“You know how I feel about Friday night games,” Allen said, not steaming but hardly passive. “That's not a decision that we make. That comes straight from the Big Ten. Somebody wants to complain about that, don't talk to me.”

Even now, the Big Ten’s move to add Friday night games to its schedule beginning in 2017 remains a contentious topic around the conference. It was opposed at the time by a host of high school athletic associations, more than one conference athletic director and coaches, like Allen, who see few competitive or recruiting advantages in playing on Friday nights.

“I'll say it until I'm blue in the face,” Allen said, “until somebody tells me to shut up — and I'll probably say it again: Friday night is for high school football.”

He’s right. As Big Ten expansion — both literal and figurative — consumes ever more tradition and institution in college sports, it can afford some concessions. The freight train of progress has taken plenty in the last decade. It can afford to give this back.

Allen has been consistent on this topic since his earliest days in his job.

Friday night games entered the scheduling math at the advent of the Big Ten’s last media deal. Then-commissioner Jim Delany declared them “not a financial consideration,” but rather an attempt to “find a window for good games” and put them on “national platforms,” which is of course a nakedly financial consideration.

Despite the fact that filling vacant programming slots meant more money from broadcast partners down the road, the conference hardly embraced the idea. Some schools said they would not play on Fridays. Others agreed reluctantly, but only under certain conditions (only road games, only certain weekends, etc.).

Allen actually earned respect around the league for publicly opposing the idea during his remarks at his first Big Ten media day, a rookie head coach willing to stand up to administrators of perhaps the most powerful conference in college football and tell them he thought they were wrong.

“I am a 15-year high school coach and have a lot of respect for what (high school coaches) do, and how that night is special,” Allen said Monday, repeating his unchanged position. “I've been consistent. I'm not trying to just keep bringing it up. I just think it's important. And I understand the whole dynamics of it all with different variables with media (rights deals) and everything. But there's certain things that if anybody wants to know my opinion, they know what it is.”

Allen’s argument is manifold.

Playing on Fridays hurts programs’ recruiting efforts, since few high school prospects are free to attend games and coaches aren’t able to go on the road. The compressed week places more physical strain on current players. Attendance can be more difficult on a Friday night than most typical Saturday slots, with fans navigating the end of the school and work weeks.

And, perhaps most fundamentally, football is culturally strong when every level of the sport has its own day of the weekend. High schools play Friday, colleges Saturday and the NFL on Sunday, no one conflicting with the others.

This isn’t to say there’s no room for innovation. Thursday nights have become appealing for football, first at the college level and more recently for the NFL. And the NFL will always sprinkle a handful of Saturday games into the back end of its calendar, but by design those often don’t conflict with the college regular season. This year’s schedule won’t see the NFL add Saturday games until mid-December.

The same can’t be said for the Big Ten’s foray into Fridays.

Locally, HSE faces Fishers on Friday in a meeting of 3-0 in-town rivals who look like early state title contenders. Ben Davis hosts prestigious IMG Academy. Guerin plays Brebeuf, and Chatard-Cathedral will be hosted at Arlington. Cincinnati Moeller visits Center Grove, while Carmel travels to Trinity, in Louisville.

There will even be a meeting of ranked undefeateds three miles south of Memorial Stadium, when Bloomington North and Bloomington South renew their crosstown rivalry for the 63rd time. Aidan Steinfeldt, a 2024 Marshall commitment and tight end, will try to keep North undefeated, at the same time his brother, Aaron, also a tight end, grapples with the Sycamores just north of campus.

It should be a fantastic night for high school football, in our city and our state. In many respects, it will be. But it shouldn’t have to share the stage with the college game anymore than Indiana should be required to step onto that stage.

Given the Big Ten just began a new media rights deal including three separate partners, Friday night games probably aren’t going anywhere. But they should. The conference has taken enough in recent years. It can give this back.

Agreed.

• Like 3

Should Kevin Wright have a bigger role than tight ends coach in his 4th season with the team? It's hard to ignore that he won everywhere he went when having the support of the community............Noblesville, Warren Central, Carmel, and IMG. The only exception being Tulsa Union where he had absolutely no support. He saw that after one season and got the hell out. His resume is pretty sick. I have a hard time believing he shouldn't be more than just a tight ends coach. 

He owns an over-all record of 229-65 (.779)

Eight Top-10 national rankings, four state championships and two state runner-up finishes as a head coach.

He has coached four national players of the year, 39 All-Americans and 150 plus Division I student-athletes.

At IMG in Bradenton, Fla., he went 44-2 in five campaigns. The program posted three-straight undefeated seasons (2015-2017), and 5 consecutive Top-6 National rankings.

He has coached 25 former NFL players.

He guided Carmel High School to a 54-11 record and three state championship appearances with a title and No. 4 national ranking upon conclusion of the 2011 campaign.

Kevin became the 5th coach in Indiana High School history to win state titles at two different schools.

From 2003-2005, he led Warren Central to three-consecutive state titles. The 2005 team finished the season ranked 5th in the nation, and the warriors were ranked nationally for 4 consecutive years.

3 hours ago, BTF said:

Should Kevin Wright have a bigger role than tight ends coach in his 4th season with the team? It's hard to ignore that he won everywhere he went when having the support of the community............Noblesville, Warren Central, Carmel, and IMG. The only exception being Tulsa Union where he had absolutely no support. He saw that after one season and got the hell out. His resume is pretty sick. I have a hard time believing he shouldn't be more than just a tight ends coach. 

He owns an over-all record of 229-65 (.779)

Eight Top-10 national rankings, four state championships and two state runner-up finishes as a head coach.

He has coached four national players of the year, 39 All-Americans and 150 plus Division I student-athletes.

At IMG in Bradenton, Fla., he went 44-2 in five campaigns. The program posted three-straight undefeated seasons (2015-2017), and 5 consecutive Top-6 National rankings.

He has coached 25 former NFL players.

He guided Carmel High School to a 54-11 record and three state championship appearances with a title and No. 4 national ranking upon conclusion of the 2011 campaign.

Kevin became the 5th coach in Indiana High School history to win state titles at two different schools.

From 2003-2005, he led Warren Central to three-consecutive state titles. The 2005 team finished the season ranked 5th in the nation, and the warriors were ranked nationally for 4 consecutive years.

Can he call plays? Walt Bell is awful and will yet again be the downfall of what should be another disappointing season. That 4th and G play all alone should be a fireable offense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Can he call plays? Walt Bell is awful and will yet again be the downfall of what should be another disappointing season. That 4th and G play all alone should be a fireable offense.

I would imagine he can call plays. He's won everywhere he's gone. I have a hard time believing that he's not the smartest coach on that sideline. 

5 hours ago, temptation said:

Never thought I’d see the day when it seems the IU defense is good enough/competent yet the offense can’t get it done.

Thought the offense started to click once they took the training wheels of Jackson in the 2nd half. IU was all too predictable play-calling wise in their game against Ohio State and much of the first half against Louisville. There’s some talent and athleticism at the skill positions and Jackson appears to have all the tools. His maturation as the season progresses will tell a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Maryland 44 - Indiana 10 late in the 4th quarter. Another complete embarrassment. Saw enough quit in the team to know a coaching change needs to happen. It won’t because of the huge buyout for Allen, so more suffering ahead. Think there is a possibility that Purdue and Indiana both go winless until their meeting at the end of the year. What a thriller that will be…

Edited by Komets2727

13 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Maryland 44 - Indiana 10 late in the 4th quarter. Another complete embarrassment. Saw enough quit in the team to know a coaching change needs to happen. It won’t because of the huge buyout for Allen, so more suffering ahead. Think there is a possibility that Purdue and Indiana both go winless until their meeting at the end of the year. What a thriller that will be…

Purdue rolled Illinois.

Saw where Allen fired another coordinator...this time Walt Bell.  Not saying it wasn't earned, but also says something about Allen's hiring.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2023/10/01/indiana-football-walt-bell-fired-as-offensive-coordinator-tom-allen-rod-carey-iu-hoosiers/71025627007/

Instead, stagnation deepened. The Hoosiers managed just three points against Ohio State, 14 against Louisville and 17 in Saturday’s heavy loss at Maryland. IU has the Big Ten’s second-worst scoring offense (20.8 ppg) ahead of only Nebraska. The Hoosiers have scored just five touchdowns in four games against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents in 2023.

Why not Kevin Wright??

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Instead, stagnation deepened. The Hoosiers managed just three points against Ohio State, 14 against Louisville and 17 in Saturday’s heavy loss at Maryland. IU has the Big Ten’s second-worst scoring offense (20.8 ppg) ahead of only Nebraska. The Hoosiers have scored just five touchdowns in four games against Football Bowl Subdivision opponents in 2023.

Why not Kevin Wright??

To be honest, Kevin Wright has been dreadful. Not sure what he actually does? Certainly hasn't been very involved in recruiting Central Indiana given his ties. TE room has been bad the last two years after he was hand-gifted Peyton Hendershot. Wright's predecessor put two TE's in the NFL. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I don’t follow IU football. But correct me if I’m wrong. The guy who leads the nation in passing was once on scholarship at IU, but couldn’t get the job done? Guess he can play after all.

Was on scholarship for 4 years and all 4 years suffered season ending injuries. Penix displayed an unbelievable amount of talent.....when he was healthy.