Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temp’s Top 25 (Preseason)

1 minute ago, BTF said:

Carmel, Warren Central, and Ben Davis were winning championships when the rest of Indianapolis was just average. Teams from the HCC were doormats during those dominating years. Penn won five state titles after rolling through one of the easiest schedules in the state. 

Sure, but BD's enrollment has been good for all of two championships in the past 20 years. Penn's run is ancient history now, but it isn't because other schools are bigger.

If we're talking 6A, Center Grove has four championships and the big 3 have 6 between them. I'm saying, today, that schools in 6A are not more successful than others because of their enrollment. 

I think that once you clear a threshold of 2/3000, you're much more similar than not and those schools should be relatively competitive given the right additional circumstances. 

5 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I'm pretty sure I would look through the additional 1,000 as opposed to waiving them off.

I'm not saying they get waved off. Realistically, though, how many of the 1000 are interested in playing? How many of that number will survive until their senior year? How many of those surviving players are impactful? Enrollment discussions are much more significant in the smaller classes where you could theoretically have more frequent wild swings in class size on a team.

It's not like the coach just goes around and says, "you, athlete, are now playing football." 

5 minutes ago, PDB26 said:

I think that once you clear a threshold of 2/3000, you're much more similar than not and those schools should be relatively competitive given the right additional circumstances. 

I'm not saying they get waved off. Realistically, though, how many of the 1000 are interested in playing? How many of that number will survive until their senior year? How many of those surviving players are impactful? Enrollment discussions are much more significant in the smaller classes where you could theoretically have more frequent wild swings in class size on a team.

It's not like the coach just goes around and says, "you, athlete, are now playing football." 

Realistically?  From similar population?  About 50% of what you already have on your team across all of the question areas.  If I'm a coach and I've got 20 impact players and you tell me I can have another 10; I'll take them.  If I have 30 impact players and you tell me I can have another 15; I'll take them.  That gets me more depth as well as, statistically, the ability to improve on what I already have unless somehow or another I have already topped out at the fastest, strongest, smartest, quickest, most agile, kids in that district.  It also gives me more mixes to work with.

A detriment though to large schools is that, sometimes, even above-average players don't play on the team because of the shared time aspect or even second-string aspect.  There are, and anyone who has coached knows this, kids that will not even come out for a team if there 1) isn't the probability that they will start and/or 2) the potential that they will have to share time with another talented person.  We see it in college where kids transfer, especially now with the portal ... in high school, they sometimes just opt for another sport where they know they will start although they sometimes transfer albeit "for academic reasons."  This also can have impact on big school pipelines too, depending on how many pipelines flow into that school.  I'm interested in seeing how this plays out as Jeff and Harrison even out in enrollment and both end up 6A.  Jeff has a single junior high, Tecumseh, that feeds the high school whereas Harrison has three middle schools, Klondkie, Battleground, and east Tipp, that feed it.

15 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I mean, you remember all the MIC drama, right?

So, the drama just applies to just varsity level football?  Because from what I see all remaining MIC schools with the exception of North Central are Playing Center Grove's JV and Freshmen teams in Football.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

So, the drama just applies to just varsity level football?  Because from what I see all remaining MIC schools with the exception of North Central are Playing Center Grove's JV and Freshmen teams in Football.

Correct

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

Yep.  Funny how that works.

4 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

Does that mean the MIC and Center Grove are culturally aligned when the Varsity football teams aren't playing each other? 

Edited by Boilernation
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

That's correct, but he just became the AD last year.

So perhaps “building level admin” should remain out of athletics and let ADs decide what’s best for their athletic programs?

What a thought.

As I said before, just swallow your pride, admit you overreacted and made a mistake in villainizing Center Grove, pick up the phone and do the right thing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, temptation said:

So perhaps “building level admin” should remain out of athletics and let ADs decide what’s best for their athletic programs?

What a thought.

As I said before, just swallow your pride, admit you overreacted and made a mistake in villainizing Center Grove, pick up the phone and do the right thing. 

Actually both CG and Carmel was villainized.  My opinion only, but I believe Carmel's recent attempt to villainize CG is to get back in the MIC's good graces.  Not easy to find 6A in-state football games.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Actually both CG and Carmel was villainized.  My opinion only, but I believe Carmel's recent attempt to villainize CG is to get back in the MIC's good graces.  Not easy to find 6A in-state football games.

Agree completely.  A complete smokescreen and embarrassment for all involved.

12 hours ago, temptation said:

3 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

My opinion only, but I believe Carmel's recent attempt to villainize CG is to get back in the MIC's good graces.  Not easy to find 6A in-state football games.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Agree completely.  A complete smokescreen and embarrassment for all involved.

So, what do you think will be the next chapter in this drama? Not what you want to happen, but what you think will actually take place.

29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

So, what do you think will be the next chapter in this drama? Not what you want to happen, but what you think will actually take place.

1.  Warren goes crawling back to CG but no public statement is made or backtracking happens because they have too much pride.

2.  Carmel and CG posture for a few more years and new blood eventually gets together at the same table and iron out their differences in getting the game back on the schedule.

3.  One, or both, Carmel/CG end up back in the MIC sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

God willing, CG & Carmel play Thanksgiving weekend at Lucas Oil.

Edit:  That's what I want to happen.  I never was very good at following rules.

Edited by Grover

14 hours ago, temptation said:

1.  Warren goes crawling back to CG but no public statement is made or backtracking happens because they have too much pride.

2.  Carmel and CG posture for a few more years and new blood eventually gets together at the same table and iron out their differences in getting the game back on the schedule.

3.  One, or both, Carmel/CG end up back in the MIC sooner rather than later.

Agree on all accounts.  

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 9:42 PM, Grover said:

God willing, CG & Carmel play Thanksgiving weekend at Lucas Oil.

Edit:  That's what I want to happen.  I never was very good at following rules.

It's a good thing CG's students won't be allowed on the field following a potential victory. We wouldn't want a Carmel coach to purposely walk through them, push a kid and then he as well as the Carmel Athletic Department cry victim afterwards.

• Haha 3

High School Football America Indiana Top 10

Ranking/Team 2022 Record HSFA 300 National Rankings
No. 1 Center Grove (12-2) 33
No. 2 Cathedral (10-2) 70
No. 3 Brownsburg (10-2) 108
No. 4 Hamilton Southeastern (12-1) 141
No. 5 Carmel (6-4) 223
No. 6 Warren Central (6-6) 273
No. 7 Westfield  (8-4) 276
No. 8 Ben Davis (6-4) NR
No. 9 East Central (13-2) NR
No. 10 Roncalli (12-2) NR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slobberknocker said:

High School Football America Indiana Top 10

Ranking/Team 2022 Record HSFA 300 National Rankings
No. 1 Center Grove (12-2) 33
No. 2 Cathedral (10-2) 70
No. 3 Brownsburg (10-2) 108
No. 4 Hamilton Southeastern (12-1) 141
No. 5 Carmel (6-4) 223
No. 6 Warren Central (6-6) 273
No. 7 Westfield  (8-4) 276
No. 8 Ben Davis (6-4) NR
No. 9 East Central (13-2) NR
No. 10 Roncalli (12-2) NR

I can get on board with this with the exception of Roncalli.  I know they are a blueblood but I'm not sure you just replace what they lost last year.