Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chatard @ Cathedral (Arlington MS)

1 hour ago, temptation said:

LOL at Arlington’s “facilities”…once again making headlines.

I hadn’t been back there since my playing days until last night.  Field conditions seemed fine.  Rest of the facility looked like a condemned prison yard.  

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

It’s not over. 21-10 Cathedral at half. Power went out.

Power went out?  I was there and there was power.  Half the lights wouldn't come on.  It wasn't a utilities issue; it was a facilities issue.  That was my first time back at Arlington since losing in 2007.  Many fond memories there from the 90's and early 2000's, but boy has that facility gotten rough.  I'm sure the grass is great.  I was shocked at the condition of everything else.  The school building itself looks like all the renovation money spent before it was shut down was well spent, but from peeling paint covering the home stands to cracked up concrete to half functioning restrooms, the prison yard comment wasn't far off.

Also, I never understood the gripes on here about parking at Arlington until being back last night.  With the new addition to the front of the school and half the facility being used to store broken down IPS vehicles, they don't do Cathedral any favors.  I'm sure this has been brought up and I've missed it elsewhere, but why does Cathedral stick with Arlington? Tech seemed like a great solution.  Both Lawrence schools are close.  Maybe this is sacrilegious to suggest, but why not use Chatard's facility when they are on the road?  No matter the on field record in the rivalry, both schools are better off when the relationship is in good standing.

58 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Power went out?  I was there and there was power.  Half the lights wouldn't come on.  It wasn't a utilities issue; it was a facilities issue.  That was my first time back at Arlington since losing in 2007.  Many fond memories there from the 90's and early 2000's, but boy has that facility gotten rough.  I'm sure the grass is great.  I was shocked at the condition of everything else.  The school building itself looks like all the renovation money spent before it was shut down was well spent, but from peeling paint covering the home stands to cracked up concrete to half functioning restrooms, the prison yard comment wasn't far off.

Also, I never understood the gripes on here about parking at Arlington until being back last night.  With the new addition to the front of the school and half the facility being used to store broken down IPS vehicles, they don't do Cathedral any favors.  I'm sure this has been brought up and I've missed it elsewhere, but why does Cathedral stick with Arlington? Tech seemed like a great solution.  Both Lawrence schools are close.  Maybe this is sacrilegious to suggest, but why not use Chatard's facility when they are on the road?  No matter the on field record in the rivalry, both schools are better off when the relationship is in good standing.

Last I heard Arsenal Tech was playing their games at University of Indianapolis. Which makes Tech not an option. I would assume it comes down to cost, perhaps these other schools were wanting too much money (compared to in the past) or they just weren't willing to allow them to rent it out. The actual playing surface at Arlington wasn't in any type of playing shape, Cathedral paid for it to be resurfaced and cared for.

9 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Last I heard Arsenal Tech was playing their games at University of Indianapolis. Which makes Tech not an option. I would assume it comes down to cost, perhaps these other schools were wanting too much money (compared to in the past) or they just weren't willing to allow them to rent it out. The actual playing surface at Arlington wasn't in any type of playing shape, Cathedral paid for it to be resurfaced and cared for.

If the money can be put together to build an off-site soccer/lacrosse stadium, can't it be found for a better solution for the football team?  If Tech is at UofI, why couldn't the same arrangement be made with them that they have with Arlington?

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

1.)If the money can be put together to build an off-site soccer/lacrosse stadium, can't it be found for a better solution for the football teamIf Tech is at UofI, why couldn't the same arrangement be made with them that they have with Arlington?

1.) That could be in the works 2.)Tech is at U of I because their field at Tech is out of commission

Would be easy to put blame on Irish athletic department for the fiasco with facilities last night resulting in change of venue to play following day when Irish had the momentum but Chatard delt with same circumstances and came ready to play today and we did not.  Irish had 2 turnovers all season up until today where they had 3.  This will for sure drop them out of top 10 6A so time for some soul searching as there is still A LOT of season left.

Congrats to the Trojans! I only saw the first half, but I wouldn't be too worried about the rankings.  Cathedral is legit and I'm sure they can still go deep in 6A.  A tough loss like this early in the season can often reset a team to make a big push.  See Chatard in 06, 07, 10, 11, 12, 19, and 20.

57 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Would be easy to put blame on Irish athletic department for the fiasco with facilities last night resulting in change of venue to play following day when Irish had the momentum but Chatard delt with same circumstances and came ready to play today and we did not.  Irish had 2 turnovers all season up until today where they had 3.  This will for sure drop them out of top 10 6A so time for some soul searching as there is still A LOT of season left.

Momentum?  Chatard had outscored the Irish 10-0 to close the half.

Irish played lights out in the first quarter and then the lights went out, both the team's lights and Arlington lights.  Hats off to the Tojans for not giving up after been blitzed for 21 points in the first quarter.  They just turned it on and the Irish had no answer.  The Irish offense just was stagnant after the first 12 minutes.  Maybe they thought it was going to be easy and the game was over.  It wasn't.

On to North Central next week.

I'm also not sure that the AMS experiment isn't over for the Irish Too much upkeep for that facility.

Shellshocked by this result. I know “”little brother” Chatard always shows up and fights with every ounce they have but that Cathedral team is massive in comparison. I guess the saying is true, it’s not the size of the dog in the fight it’s the size of fight in the dog. You could tell last night that it was getting a little mouthy between the Chatard LBs and the Cathedral lineman. Lot’s of blitzing up the middle and some grabbing to stop it but when Sam Feeney destroyed their KR and caused the fumble it seemed like the fight went out of Cathedral. As soon as they realized they weren’t going to be the bully it changed the tide. I’d love to know how many times they hit O’Neil.

While I’m happy with the result, I’m curious how early the coaches knew that the lights weren’t working and that the game would be called once it got dark.   If it was before the first snap, it would’ve made more sense to postpone and play the entire game today.  Not beneficial to either team to play half a game, rest for 12 hours and then play again.  Easy way to get kids injured.  

11 minutes ago, Tin Cup said:

While I’m happy with the result, I’m curious how early the coaches knew that the lights weren’t working and that the game would be called once it got dark.   If it was before the first snap, it would’ve made more sense to postpone and play the entire game today.  Not beneficial to either team to play half a game, rest for 12 hours and then play again.  Easy way to get kids injured.  

It was beneficial to one team

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Just a dad said:

Shellshocked by this result. I know “”little brother” Chatard always shows up......."

No to be disagreeable but nope...not "brothers"....and not 'little".   

If anyone on the field on either side feels that way then maybe they need to be playing soccer.

I'll let it go at that.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Cali23 said:

Momentum?  Chatard had outscored the Irish 10-0 to close the half.

Ha! When I was at Cathedral, late 60's, we had a game at the old 16th St. CYO field where the lights on the northern half of the field went out. Play the next day? Nah! They just played the remainder of the game at the south end of the field that had lights. If I remember, and that was LONG AGO, the lights went out in the first half. 

22 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Embarrassing. 

Embarrassing that the lights went out and changed the trajectory of the game? Or embarrassing that they lost to a smaller school. Isn't Chatard privy to the same kind of resources that Cathedral is? I'm asking an honest question since I don't live in Indy. 

22 minutes ago, BTF said:

Embarrassing that the lights went out and changed the trajectory of the game? Or embarrassing that they lost to a smaller school. Isn't Chatard privy to the same kind of resources that Cathedral is? I'm asking an honest question since I don't live in Indy. 

What do you mean by “resources”?  That word can cover a lot of ground.  

Chatard is an Indianapolis Catholic Archdiocese school along with Ritter, Scecina and Roncalli and tied to rules, regs, etc. of the Archdiocese.  Cathedral is an independent private school with a strong Catholic affiliation but not an Archdiocese schools. 

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, BTF said:

The lights going out didn't change the trajectory of the game. Chatard after going down 21-0 in 1st quarter grabbed the momentum in 2nd qtr scoring 10 points. Then on Saturday kept the momentum scoring 14 more points. Chatard's defense bent but didn't break after Q1. The lights were just a side object.

Edited by FastpacedO