Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA Should Mandate Week 10 Games for Class 5A and 6A

Guest DT

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Why do we have a system where the biggest and wealthiest schools get a free week off to rest up and heal and prepare and go on vacation, and our smaller more urban schools are thrown directly into the post season fire without the same privileges?

MIC schools go 4 deep at every position and have the best equipment and medical support money can buy.  Do they need a week off more than a rural school with barely a 2 deep roster that probably has to take a long road trip for a first round sectional game?

Why is that relevant to schools 1A-4A? 

Just now, Footballking16 said:

Why is that relevant to schools 1A-4A? 

Because if you support high school football, you just don't support the largest classes.

The IHSAA is showing favoritism to the larger classes by allowing this dichotomy to exist.

8 minutes ago, DT said:

Because if you support high school football, you just don't support the largest classes.

The IHSAA is showing favoritism to the larger classes by allowing this dichotomy to exist.

The IHSAA created the 6th class to promote competitive balance. Unfortunately it split one class in half thus making one less tourney game possible causing the subsequent bye. Class 5A and 6A not playing a week 10 has ZERO bearing on class 1A-4A. It's not like a 5A school has a week off to prepare for a 4A school in the playoffs, each team is at the same advantage/disadvantage. This is a non-issue.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

The IHSAA created the 6th class to promote competitive balance. Unfortunately it split one class in half thus making one less tourney game possible causing the subsequent bye. Class 5A and 6A not playing a week 10 has ZERO bearing on class 1A-4A. It's not like a 5A school has a week off to prepare for a 4A school in the playoffs, each team is at the same advantage/disadvantage. This is a non-issue.

That's what I thought all along, a nothing burger, if you will...

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

5 hours ago, Muda69 said:

The large schools, much like the majority of the p/p's, enjoy having their cake and eating it too.

That is not true, most of us would love to have a 10th game. Our Athletic departments would love to have a 10th game. The IHSAA won't allow it.

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

I think the 10th game for half the teams playing will do exactly what you described as the reason to eliminate the bye; it can kill any momentum gained going into the playoffs. I think you might get more traction with something either you or someone else posted in the other topic; a bye week in the regular season. A number of schools now have a full week of Fall break now, so it might be good to have the bye weeks scheduled the same week. 

Outstanding idea !! If only we could get all the schools to go on fall break at the same time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

This is great for the fans but a large majority of the 6A programs that I’ve spoken with prefer the week off to get healthy for the tournament.

Agree. A tenth game will never happen unfortunately. However, it would be a great opportunity for SAC teams to play out of conference. Homestead used to play Carmel and Snider used to play Penn. 

1 hour ago, DT said:

Why do we have a system where the biggest and wealthiest schools get a free week off to rest up and heal and prepare and go on vacation, and our smaller more urban schools are thrown directly into the post season fire without the same privileges?

MIC schools go 4 deep at every position and have the best equipment and medical support money can buy.  Do they need a week off more than a rural school with barely a 2 deep roster that probably has to take a long road trip for a first round sectional game?

Put the 6A bye week after Sectionals. Problem solved.

49 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Look at that: a down vote!!!  How will I deal with the tragedy?  Stay tuned...

Ain't that a kick in the head: another down vote!!!  I guess Muda stopped playing Dungeons & Dragons for a second...

Edited by Gipper

4 hours ago, DT said:

One might say because the 6A athletes are bigger, faster and stronger that they might require a break in their schedule due to being significantly more banged up at their skill positions and among starters.  

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

One might say because the 6A athletes are bigger, faster and stronger that they might require a break in their schedule due to being significantly more banged up at their skill positions and among starters.  

LOL

Tell that to South Newton and the 20 kids they dressed for their opening round sectional game

5 hours ago, Lemmy said:

For selfish reasons I would love to see a bye week imposed on the exact week that most schools are on fall break.  Make it a week of no contact between coaches and players and that would even be better.  Finally, I could go on one of the fabulous fall vacations that I keep hearing about.  Everyone tells me that somehow the fall break vacations are superior to spring break vacations.  I'm guessing this is just a ploy to p*ss me off, but I would like to find out.

not sure I would make it a total no contact week  I have had this thought for a few years that this should be the case

I also feel that 6 and 5 should have a 10 game and the best way to do that is move week one up a week by doing this 5 and 6 can add their game the other smaller schools can add their bye week.   This way all would get a bye and all get to play  or could play in they get to state 15 games

13 minutes ago, DT said:

LOL

Tell that to South Newton and the 20 kids they dressed for their opening round sectional game

Seriously?  NOW South Newton warrants attention from you outside of contraction?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Seriously?  NOW South Newton warrants attention from you outside of contraction?

There are lots of South Newtons out there my friend.  They are the poster boys for small school competitive imbalance

1 minute ago, DT said:

There are lots of South Newtons out there my friend.  They are the poster boys for small school competitive imbalance

Yeah, I know.  You spent the better part of the season telling them to shutdown.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Yeah, I know.  You spent the better part of the season telling them to shutdown.

Now they're so tired they need a week off. Good thing there's only 1 DT in the State. Teams would be afraid to stop playing, they might get contracted if they take a week off.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Now they're so tired they need a week off. Good thing there's only 1 DT in the State. Teams would be afraid to stop playing, they might get contracted if they take a week off.

South Newton alumnus here. I don’t know if I should thank DT for all of the attention as I’m sure he knows what’s best for the school without even having been there or call him out for being a pompous jerk.

There May have been a grammatical error in there, but I don’t really care.

Edited by Gipper

DT's superpower is roping us into these conversations with his ideas to fix things that aren't broken. 

The only teams who could be at a disadvantage are the 5A schools in 5-team sectionals. When the IHSAA decided to split out 6A for competitive balance purposes, I believe that the plan was to have exactly 32 teams each in 5A & 6A. Not sure why they didn't do that for this 2-year cycle-- maybe due to the Elkhart consolidation or general logistics/travel issues in certain areas of the state.

But I don't want to be blasted for disagreeing with DT without offering up my own idea. So here goes--

320 schools with football = 10 classes, 32 teams each. No change needed to schedule at all-- 9 regular season games, BYE WEEK FOR ALL, 32-team/5-week tournament for each class, 3 day State Finals extravaganza at LOS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slice60 said:

DT's superpower is roping us into these conversations with his ideas to fix things that aren't broken. 

The only teams who could be at a disadvantage are the 5A schools in 5-team sectionals. When the IHSAA decided to split out 6A for competitive balance purposes, I believe that the plan was to have exactly 32 teams each in 5A & 6A. Not sure why they didn't do that for this 2-year cycle-- maybe due to the Elkhart consolidation or general logistics/travel issues in certain areas of the state.

But I don't want to be blasted for disagreeing with DT without offering up my own idea. So here goes--

320 schools with football = 10 classes, 32 teams each. No change needed to schedule at all-- 9 regular season games, BYE WEEK FOR ALL, 32-team/5-week tournament for each class, 3 day State Finals extravaganza at LOS.

Thank you for not taking this too seriously.  It’s a game, and games should be fun.  Some people take the fun out of everything.  It’s not up to us to make the rules...