Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Pioneer - Chesterton

2 minutes ago, footballer_02 said:

How is Cass looking this year? I know they graduated a fair amount. Not sure what they had returning. 

They are young, but they have Clay Mannering on as head coach who has been coaching at the college level for a few years. Clay also has a hall of fame coach roaming the sidelines in his father Scott. Cass will be well coached and ready to play every Friday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I'd go with Pioneer.  Chesterton best boy fall athletes are on the soccer team.  Football kind of takes a back seat.  Trojans have never won a sectional title in football in school history.

One thing to remember though is a 6a school has hundreds upon hundreds of athletes to choose from and a 1a (school size), 2a (competition level due to success) will weigh on the Panthers. In most cases a bad 6a school would beat a good 1/2a school. No disrespect to Pioneer here because I think the panthers will make it a good game, but it'll be a different style of play Pioneer is used to seeing. Just my 2 cents... 

2 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

Chesterton by 3 td's unless some big injuries in week 1. QG for Chesterton is real deal. Pioneer pass defense will be tested all night long.

I'd say that's a pretty accurate guess. Pioneer will definitely be tested through the air, but that Chesterton's line will weigh on Pioneer as the game goes on. 

Agree with your assessment on 6A size and depth taking a toll on 2A/3A opponents. Having watched Andrean play 6A competition over the years, you see the wear down effect in second half.

Andrean has a bit of a gauntlet; scrimmaged Valpo last week, @Merrilville tonight, @ Lake Central next week, home against New Prairie week 3. We will see the wear down impact for a few weeks.

I'm just happy we are playing.

2 hours ago, footballer_02 said:

How is Cass looking this year? I know they graduated a fair amount. Not sure what they had returning. 

Cass is super young. They only return 4 kids that started last year.

I believe they'll be maybe a 2 to 3 win team with their schedule... If they played Winamac's schedule, or Pioneers (before season started). Theyd finish 3-6 to 4-5. 

Winamac's old football coach is an assistant on staff there. 

Got a mix of seniors, juniors and Sophs playing.. They got 2 freshman that impressed me in Frye and Hillis.

Edited by TheStatGuy

1 minute ago, TheStatGuy said:

Cass is super young. They only return 4 kids that started last year.

I believe they'll be maybe a 2 to 3 win team with their schedule... If they played Winamac's schedule, or Pioneers (before season started). Theyd finish 3-6 to 4-5. 

Winamac's old football coach is an assistant on staff there. 

I didn't realize they only brought back 4 returners. Who are planning on watching tonight with Winamac's cancellation? 

Just now, footballer_02 said:

I didn't realize they only brought back 4 returners. Who are planning on watching tonight with Winamac's cancellation? 

Cass..its their senior night and with Tyson Johnson over there...i figured id drive down.

Ill be at Pioneer week 2 to watch my cousin Joseph who'll have his senior night. 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

BREAK OUT THE GOATS 

Pioneer has installed new obstacles this season with the addition of mole runs. Sadly, this is not sarcasm. There are bare dirt spots (earlier than normal this year) from moles allowed to run rampant on the visitor sideline. During our self scrimmage this season we could only use half of the field because a mole trap was never removed by our maintenance staff.

Edited by FarmerFran
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Is everything still sponsored by the Bob-O-Link?  Its been 15 years or so since we went to Royal Center....

Unfortunately the Bob-O-Link is closed now and is for sale. Bob Shanks has decided to sell his three restaurants and retire.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Congrats on the 20-16 win Pioneer.  

Chesterton is what DT would describe as a country club sport school.  Don't schedule the Trojans in soccer, golf or swimming.

Or gymnastics! Congrats Pioneer. Great W! 

37 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That is a great win for Pioneer.  Does anyone know the last time a 1A school (Pioneer is not really 2A) defeated a Class 6A school?

I do not think it has ever happened. 

I wish I could have seen this game.

I would think it’s never happened and 1A vs 5A in the old system couldn’t have had more than a handful.