• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

SIAC Week 7

3 hours ago, TransplantedPanther said:

Mater Dei

Central

North

Castle over Jasper in a slugfest

Memorial over Reitz. That being said, Reitz is playing for the future at this point. That are playing a lot of underclassmen. At this point, I think we see this season as a wash on the hill, and are currently transitioning to next year’s team now. 

How does Reitz look next year? Heard their freshman team was undefeated 

31 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Final Scores for tonight: 

Castle over Jasper, 14-10 

Central over Harrison, 59-0 

Mater Dei over Bosse, 56-6 

Memorial over Reitz, 47-14 

Ongoing 

VL over North, 21-12 ~4Q

VL 21,  North 13   Final

8 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Final Scores for tonight: 

Castle over Jasper, 14-10 

Central over Harrison, 59-0 

Mater Dei over Bosse, 56-6 

Memorial over Reitz, 47-14 

Ongoing 

VL over North, 21-12 ~4Q

Rather predictable, outcomes. I thought Jasper-Castle would be a defensive slugfest. Interested to read the story and forum commentary. Both need an offensive shock heading into the sectional. Castle still controls a share of the SIAC if they win out.

Whoa, I read the North score backwards. Props to the Alices. A 5A school has to be able to put points on the board even without the starting QB. Hopefully that's fixed before the sectional. 

8 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Rather predictable, outcomes. I thought Jasper-Castle would be a defensive slugfest. Interested to read the story and forum commentary. Both need an offensive shock heading into the sectional. Castle still controls a share of the SIAC if they win out.

Whoa, I read the North score backwards. Props to the Alices. A 5A school has to be able to put points on the board even without the starting QB. Hopefully that's fixed before the sectional. 

He played.  

5 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

He played.  

Oh wow, I'm 9 hours ahead of you and have some Twitter and C&P reading to do.

ETA: The North game isn't on the front of the online sports page... subject to change and I don't want to speak ill of an old employer despite being bought out by Gannett (USA Today) 🙄 

I predict in the next two years a SW Indiana sports website will appear... the Dubois County (Jasper) newspaper has also very recently sold, as has the Bloomington Herald-Times. All at one time, provided stellar sports coverage in Southern Indiana. I think b the same goes for New Albany, Bedford, and Terre Haute.

2 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Oh wow, I'm 9 hours ahead of you and have some Twitter and C&P reading to do. 

For some reason I watched quite a bit of game.  North RB seems like he breaks a long TD or 25 yard run or gets stuffed at the line for a 1 yard.   Did not see a consistent ground game last night of driving down the field.  

9 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

For some reason I watched quite a bit of game.  North RB seems like he breaks a long TD or 25 yard run or gets stuffed at the line for a 1 yard.   Did not see a consistent ground game last night of driving down the field.  

The Vincennes Sun-Commercial has it up (everything past the first two pargraphs is behind a paywall).

It's true online ad revenue isn't enough to sustain a purely newspaper-turned-online media. I believe there are two realistic solutions:

- For "big" stories you don't put them behind a paywall for 24 hours

- For all stories, the technology exists to know how long you are "active on that page" after 10 seconds, media websites could deduct a fraction ($0.50) from your PayPal or other online payment services to give you complete access to that story.

1 hour ago, jcat69 said:

Looking at Sagarin ratings. Closed SIAC schedule messed up ratings? No connecting games?

Yep. CalPreps or Massey might be slightly better, although Sagarin has to be using some kind of recent program success factor to rank closed conference teams... That or some voodoo statistics (which he is most capable of developing), involving comparing teams with similar records and Class, but then you still have the SoS quandry. No idea how Sagarin does it with closed conference teams.

This seems like a essay question on a math test. Lol

This year will be different because Castle/Bosse never happened, but wouldn’t each team theoretically have the same SOS at the end of the regular season? Each team will have the same opponents, which should all be 45-45 combined. So the opponents’ opponents combined record should also be .500. 

10 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

This seems like a essay question on a math test. Lol

This year will be different because Castle/Bosse never happened, but wouldn’t each team theoretically have the same SOS at the end of the regular season? Each team will have the same opponents, which should all be 45-45 combined. So the opponents’ opponents combined record should also be .500. 

Each team doesn't have the same opponents. Central has an easier SoS than Bosse, as Central played Bosse and Bosse didn't play itself. The top team should have the worst SoS and the worst team should have the best SoS, ignoring the Castle-Bosse game because yeah. 

If all teams some how ended 4-5 or 5-4, I think you could theoritcally have the same SoS, or very close.

Seven of the teams in the SIAC ended the season last year with a Sagarin rating above 50. right now only Central is above 50. Doubtful last year rating are influencing this years ratings. There must be an arbitrairy influence or unrecognized consequence of a closed conference?

Sagarin currently rates Tecumseh, South Spencer, Washington and Princeton all higher then Reitz.  That should tell you all you need to know about comparing a closed conference to the rest of the state using mathematical rating systems (Hint:  you can't do it)

Edited by Alduflux
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Each team doesn't have the same opponents. Central has an easier SoS than Bosse, as Central played Bosse and Bosse didn't play itself. The top team should have the worst SoS and the worst team should have the best SoS, ignoring the Castle-Bosse game because yeah. 

If all teams some how ended 4-5 or 5-4, I think you could theoritcally have the same SoS, or very close.

You're right. So I guess I failed the essay question? I was thinking for every win, there is a loss resulting in a .500 record across the board.  But even the combined opponent's opponents would be slightly different (but very close to .500). 

Moral of the story - like as mentioned above, an SOS based solely on W-L percentage will be pretty irrelevant come tournament time.   

On 10/2/2020 at 1:33 PM, TigerFan20 said:

How does Reitz look next year? Heard their freshman team was undefeated 

I believe (don’t quote me on this) that Reitz will only have two senior starters next year, and no skill starters will be one. I believe that a lot of this year’s freshmen will make the jump to varsity, and the record will be around 6-3, but the jump will be when that class becomes juniors (two years from now).

But I am on the outside looking in. 

16 hours ago, TransplantedPanther said:

I believe (don’t quote me on this) that Reitz will only have two senior starters next year, and no skill starters will be one. I believe that a lot of this year’s freshmen will make the jump to varsity, and the record will be around 6-3, but the jump will be when that class becomes juniors (two years from now).

But I am on the outside looking in. 

Teams with very few senior and very many sophomore starters struggle. Six wins will be a tall task if what you are saying is true. 

On 10/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, Spitting Llamas said:

Teams with very few senior and very many sophomore starters struggle. Six wins will be a tall task if what you are saying is true. 

Very true but their freshman class is loaded. They have MD and GS left in their quest to stay undefeated if I heard correctly. I think they already have a few in that group getting varsity time, but mixing the best of that class in with the best juniors and seniors next season may not be a bad recipe for them. But I do agree, next year may still be a youth movement/rebuilding situation. However, in 2-3 years I would not be shocked if they're the best team in the city.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:53 AM, Spitting Llamas said:

I agree.  If they get to .500 being light on seniors and heavy on sophomores, that would be pretty impressive....depending how the rest of the conference looks, of course.

That said, I think Brunson is an excellent coach and if anybody could do it, it’s him.  But, given how weak Reitz looked the other night, if their freshmen are that good, why aren’t some of them playing now?  At least get them some V level experience.  Or maybe they are and I didn’t know.