Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2020 Mr. Football

Who are the leading candidates to take home Mr. Football this year? Admittedly, I have been primarily focused on our team, so I apologize if there is an obvious choice out there. 

I would guess Cathedral’s (and St. Roch alum) Nathan McCahill would have to be a strong candidate. 

Baron Huebler’s 2,167 yards (7.4 avg) and 31 TDs on 291 carries is also worth of some attention. 

Who else?

2 hours ago, The TW said:

Who are the leading candidates to take home Mr. Football this year? Admittedly, I have been primarily focused on our team, so I apologize if there is an obvious choice out there. 

I would guess Cathedral’s (and St. Roch alum) Nathan McCahill would have to be a strong candidate. 

Baron Huebler’s 2,167 yards (7.4 avg) and 31 TDs on 291 carries is also worth of some attention. 

Who else?

I started a thread at the mid-way point of the season and thought it’d come down to these three guys:

Donovan McCulley-LN

Carson Steele-Center Grove

Nathan McCahill-Cathrdral

I will add that Roncalli’s impressive run to the state finals probably warrants some attention for Huebler. 

At the end of the day the award is likely going to go to the best skill position player on the best team and that’s Carson Steele. McCulley and his commitment to Indiana is probably what most want to see, but I feel he needed to lead LN to at least a sectional title. 

Nathan McCahill’s stats are pretty gaudy considering the strength of schedule the Irish played this year. These are his numbers before last night’s Semi-State victory over Castle:

2687 yards passing, 34TDs, 3 INT

842 yards rushing, 10 TDS

12-1 versus State Finalists: Westfield, Chatard, Center Grove, Cincy Lasalle and OH Large School Champ St. X. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I started a thread at the mid-way point of the season and thought it’d come down to these three guys:

Donovan McCulley-LN

Carson Steele-Center Grove

Nathan McCahill-Cathrdral

I will add that Roncalli’s impressive run to the state finals probably warrants some attention for Huebler. 

At the end of the day the award is likely going to go to the best skill position player on the best team and that’s Carson Steele. McCulley and his commitment to Indiana is probably what most want to see, but I feel he needed to lead LN to at least a sectional title. 

Not sure Steele has the stats.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Not sure Steele has the stats.

Doesn’t have jump off the wall stats primarily because he’s either taken out after halftime or playing with a running clock, but still good numbers nonetheless.

I could see cases for all 3 (and Huebler) but head tells me it is Steele’s to lose. 

17 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Doesn’t have jump off the wall stats primarily because he’s either taken out after halftime or playing with a running clock, but still good numbers nonetheless.

I could see cases for all 3 (and Huebler) but head tells me it is Steele’s to lose. 

Oh I am fully aware.  I’ve seen years like last year, where stats matter (as they should relative to the level of competition) and have also seen instances (Hunter Johnson) where stars seem to matter.

If Steele wins it, get set for back to back winners from CG.  They have three juniors that will duke it out in 2021.

Plenty of good competition but it has to be Carson Steele.

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

If Steele wins it, get set for back to back winners from CG.  They have three juniors that will duke it out in 2021.

They still owe us one for robbing Russ Yeast.  😉

12 minutes ago, Grover said:

Plenty of good competition but it has to be Carson Steele.

They still owe us one for robbing Russ Yeast.  😉

I agree on both points.  Steele will win Mr. Football but McCahill had an incredible season.  It's a shame he only had one year as the Irish QB starter.

I still can't believe Yeast is playing defense at Louisville!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

McCahill will end up with 3000yds passing, 1000yds rushing, and 50 TDS. Have a hard time saying Steele is a lock in this voting. 

IMO, Mr. Football is as much a career award as a yearly award.  No player has had more impact on their team's success this season than Nate McCahill, that's a fact.  But Nate only has the one year and Steele has been a starter, on one of the best if not the best teamsin the state, for four years.

I'm an Irish fanboy!  If I had a vote it would be for Nate!

8 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

McCahill will end up with 3000yds passing, 1000yds rushing, and 50 TDS. Have a hard time saying Steele is a lock in this voting. 

Don’t have an argument there. McCahill more than deserving and probably wins it in most years. But been around long enough to know that this award usually goes to the best skill position player on the best team and Steele wins in that category.

9 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

IMO, Mr. Football is as much a career award as a yearly award.  No player has had more impact on their team's success this season than Nate McCahill, that's a fact.  But Nate only has the one year and Steele has been a starter, on one of the best if not the best teamsin the state, for four years.

I'm an Irish fanboy!  If I had a vote it would be for Nate!

Opens another topic for debate...is it a one year award?  Should it be?

I still say that’s why Kiser won over Bell and Johnson over Yeast...to many it IS a career award.

20 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Hopefully the voters will be capable of seeing beyond stats but I agree McCahill has had an incredible season.

Edited by Grover

10 hours ago, temptation said:

Opens another topic for debate...is it a one year award?  Should it be?

I still say that’s why Kiser won over Bell and Johnson over Yeast...to many it IS a career award.

IMO, it's a lifetime achievement award more than a single season, and I don't think that's all bad.  Lots of quality talent in the state, especially in the Indy Metro area.

25 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

IMO, it's a lifetime achievement award more than a single season, and I don't think that's all bad.  Lots of quality talent in the state, especially in the Indy Metro area.

I agree on the talent but like the Heisman Trophy, I believe it should be a single season award, hence the reason it is given annually and the year is in front of the “Mr. Football” title.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

I agree on the talent but like the Heisman Trophy, I believe it should be a single season award, hence the reason it is given annually and the year is in front of the “Mr. Football” title.

In a  perfect world this would be the case.  It appears that it's become more of a career award.  No one in the state of Indiana means more to his team than Nate McCahill!

Stirring the pot, can't have gravy sticking and burning on Thanksgiving...

So besides this going to the best player in the IndyStar's coverage area, what about other players across the state? Kids like @Mockstangboyz (headed to Navy) deserve all the individual accolades they can. Shame Boonville didn't have more team success.