Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Laughable Sagarin rating

I like to use the Sagarin system as it was originally designed.  Total offense performance and total defense performance.

As the season rolls along, those numbers start getting more and more accurate. I rarely look at Jeff's numbers for the first 2 (or even 3) weeks.  Data is still being compiled during that period.  I also never place a lot of stock in pure computer generated rankings.  As Gipper sez "on the field".  That's where we play the games.  From my perspective, I am just using it as a gauge for how competitive games will be.

For rankings - the stats don't mean a lot.  For competetive evaluation... it does provide a measuring stick for how head-to-head competitions will be.

The post-season toureny is the only true ranking!

8 hours ago, snrmike said:

I like to use the Sagarin system as it was originally designed.  Total offense performance and total defense performance.

As the season rolls along, those numbers start getting more and more accurate. I rarely look at Jeff's numbers for the first 2 (or even 3) weeks.  Data is still being compiled during that period.  I also never place a lot of stock in pure computer generated rankings.  As Gipper sez "on the field".  That's where we play the games.  From my perspective, I am just using it as a gauge for how competitive games will be.

For rankings - the stats don't mean a lot.  For competetive evaluation... it does provide a measuring stick for how head-to-head competitions will be.

The post-season toureny is the only true ranking!

Yep!  The only meaningful rankings are those from downtown at LOS on Thanksgiving weekend.

Edited by PHJIrish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I know we've beaten this topic to death, but this one literally made me LOL this morning.  

# 78 Boonville (0-5)

# 99 Jasper (6-0)

Even Sagarin knows the PAC really IS that much tougher than the SIAC. 😄

Keep in mind Boonville took MTV to the wire and the C&P laid it out clearly today just how good MTV is (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

😂

Just now, Titan32 said:

Keep in mind Boonville took MTV to the wire and the C&P laid it out clearly today just how good MTV is (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

😂

Honestly, I was this close to tagging you after my last sentence... but I went with the smiley face instead.  Some might say it's the same thing??? 

1 minute ago, oldtimeqb said:

Honestly, I was this close to tagging you after my last sentence... but I went with the smiley face instead.  Some might say it's the same thing??? 

You mean a smiley face is like saying Titan32 in a mirror three times? LOL

You would think some really smart stats guy could come up with a way to get the closed conferences closer than they are.  Jasper should be in the upper 90's or low 100s.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:10 AM, jcat69 said:

Sagarin and Harrell, what would our Indiana football lives be without them? I can't imagine being without them. Much more valuable than than this website. 

I agree.

Luers over Cathedral

Carroll over Westfield

The SAC boasts four teams in the Top 12 compared to two each for the MIC and HCC. Football is alive and well in The Summit City.

14 minutes ago, jakone said:

Luers jumps 81 spots to be #2 overall. What happened to the closed conference Al Gore Rhythm.😁

I've seen this happen the last couple of years. SAC schools go up and down like a yoyo until playoff time. 

44 minutes ago, jakone said:

Luers jumps 81 spots to be #2 overall. What happened to the closed conference Al Gore Rhythm.😁

The opposite happened to all the SIAC schools 

jasper beat castle and are 7-0  but dropped HEAVY

Central has a -10 score……which I haven’t even seen from programs that go winless for 3 years + 

10 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

If Sagarin doesn't have the capability to factor in out of state games, then it's nothing more than a fun thing not to be taken seriously.  I always thought computers were smart.🤓

Exactly, it’s nothing to get worked up about. It’s for fun. Same with the other polls.

6 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

The opposite happened to all the SIAC schools 

jasper beat castle and are 7-0  but dropped HEAVY

Central has a -10 score……which I haven’t even seen from programs that go winless for 3 years + 

In the grand scheme of things this doesn’t matter. But I have a new theory. 

The Al Gore Rhythm has to be based on some measure of your performance and your SOS. These closed conferences are drastically weighed down by the SOS portion. The worst team drags the whole conference down. 

Summit - this is FW South who lost a game to COVID. So they are 1-5 which in computer speak would be much better than 1-6. 

SIAC - Vincennes. They are 1-6. And they have yet to play Memorial (6-1) and Jasper (7-0). So their opponent W/L record has to be awful compared to a ‘normal’ SOS. 

Again, none of this matters but it beats watching Notre Dame today. Lol

9 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

It doesn't worry this old Irish Alum one bit.  Now on Thanksgiving weekend, that's another thing.  

It shouldn't. Cathedral is safely tucked away in a different class. The two will never meet. 

On 10/2/2021 at 11:32 AM, BTF said:

I've seen this happen the last couple of years. SAC schools go up and down like a yoyo until playoff time. 

Yea, I wonder about Carroll being the #2 in 6A. doesn't meet the eye test to me. Will likely change next week. 

On 10/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, jakone said:

Just wait until next week and they drop for some unknown reason and you can complain again.

On 10/2/2021 at 3:32 PM, MarshallCounty said:

Exactly, it’s nothing to get worked up about. It’s for fun. Same with the other polls.

Bingo

2 hours ago, psaboy said:

Yea, I wonder about Carroll being the #2 in 6A. doesn't meet the eye test to me. Will likely change next week. 

I think Carroll is a Top 20 team regardless of class. No way they are the second best team in 6a. We'll see how good they are if they get by Homestead again and play Westfield.

• Like 1