Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lawrenceburg v Rushville

I wasn’t at the game so I have no context.  If it was 77-0 at half then maybe there is some shred of dignity which could be preserved.  But this score is 9 points from national news and LB coach and AD both being in hot water… and they probably should be. No excuse for this imo.  Take a knee.  I’m now the biggest Gibson Southern fan in the state.  Hope the throttle LB by 50.

• Like 1

Up 70-0 late on the first half, LB got the ball back with 1:30 left on the clock in the 2nd quarter. They could have chosen to kneel on it and go to halftime. Instead, Coach Knigga calls for a throwback screen.  I think that tells you what you need to know. In addition, regardless of what “string” player he was playing in the second half, he was still throwing the football!

2 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

I wasn’t at the game so I have no context.  If it was 77-0 at half then maybe there is some shred of dignity which could be preserved.  But this score is 9 points from national news and LB coach and AD both being in hot water… and they probably should be. No excuse for this imo.  Take a knee.  I’m now the biggest Gibson Southern fan in the state.  Hope the throttle LB by 50.

Saw this one scroll across last night and am intrigued.  Details?

3 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

Fil
Lawrenceburg 70 14 0 7 91
Rushville 0 0 0 12 12

How bout 70 in the first quarter and another 14 in the 2nd?

2 hours ago, Sports Freak20 said:

No need to score 91 points in a game.  Running clock in the first, every backup in the game....something.  That is ridiculous. 

I could be wrong but I believe that Mercy Rule does not allow the running clock until the start of the 2nd half. 

8 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Running clock starts at half, and from the looks of it, everyone of the backs up played. 

Not true.  When Cathedral played Morton last week, we started the running clock in the beginning of the second quarter.  Coaches agreed to that it.  Regardless, why score in the 4th quarter.  Whatever the circumstances, it looks really bad IMO.

Typically it does start in the beginning of the 3rd Q but can start earlier in these situations.

Just now, Sports Freak20 said:

Not true.  When Cathedral played Morton last week, we started the running clock in the beginning of the second quarter.  Coaches agreed to that it.  Regardless, why score in the 4th quarter.  Whatever the circumstances, it looks really bad IMO.

The Mercy Rule is the exclusive manner in which normal game-timing can be altered. It doesn’t start until the 2nd half. Anything other than that is an error.

12 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Running clock starts at half,

That’s correct. No exceptions. No agreement can alter that.

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

The Mercy Rule is the exclusive manner in which normal game-timing can be altered. It doesn’t start until the 2nd half. Anything other than that is an error.

That’s correct. No exceptions. No agreement can alter that.

Well, Cathedral ran a running clock in the 2nd quarter last week.  I KNOW that I was there.  So obviously there are expections.

1 minute ago, Sports Freak20 said:

Well, Cathedral ran a running clock in the 2nd quarter last week.  I KNOW that I was there.  So obviously there are expections.

Regardless, its tough to justify 91 points

Just now, Sports Freak20 said:

There are no exceptions. If timing was altered in the first half, that is a mistake by the officials.

8 hours ago, Purdue Pete said:

The HC and the AD are the same person...

18 minutes ago, 812 Observer said:

The HC and the AD are the same person...

I would never suggest that anyone just "give up".  But it wouldn't have been out of the question for the trailing team to 'assess' the situation, and think about just whether or not an Education Based athletic event is best served in the long run with a potential 100+ point loss. 

The clock cannot run until the 2nd half, and it was 90-0 at that point.  What is the motivation at that point for either institution?  

I don't have an answer, but I just am befuddled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

There are no exceptions. If timing was altered in the first half, that is a mistake by the officials.

I was there, Bob, and the running clock started midway in the 2nd half.  I don't know why this would fire you up so much.  Morton had only one first down in the entire game and that came when a young man caught a long pass, late in the game, and although he was 10 yards behind our DB's he dropped the ball at about the 40 yard line.  It was the most one sided game I've seen in many years, maybe ever.  Let the coaches decide when the clock runs in this kind of situation!  It's cruel to score 90+ with the running clock.  There's not a good reason for it.

40 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I was there, Bob, and the running clock started midway in the 2nd half.  I don't know why this would fire you up so much.  Morton had only one first down in the entire game and that came when a young man caught a long pass, late in the game, and although he was 10 yards behind our DB's he dropped the ball at about the 40 yard line.  It was the most one sided game I've seen in many years, maybe ever.  Let the coaches decide when the clock runs in this kind of situation!  It's cruel to score 90+ with the running clock.  There's not a good reason for it.

I don’t make the rules.

Quit starting these threads hopefully rushville uses this as motivation to get better as a program. 
also Hanover was up 69-6 at half over whiting, I was hoping Hanover would keep bringing it to teach whiting a lesson.

Edited by Whiting89
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I was also at that game and agree with everything you just said!

16 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Thanks for the details.  Makes a bit more sense.  How do u score 70 in a quarter?   Still…between the two HCs …this could’ve and should’ve been avoided.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

I am curious how they even managed to get 70 points in first quarter.  Is there a box score posted with scoring plays?

I read the scoring plays but the time left in the quarter is not accurate so I cannot tell how it happened, especially since there were not pick sixes.  All offensive TDs.  When it is 63-0 in the first quarter, how about we run the ball.  They threw a 35 yard TD to go up 70-0.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I don’t make the rules.

You are not the ultimate to make these kind of decisions.  That's why there are two head coaches!  Rules were bent last night at LaSalle.  Lots of things went "undetected."  The game belongs to the teams, and not always the rule book.  At least that's the way I see it.  No one was harmed by what happened  at Arlington last week, and maybe someone was spared an injury.

2 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Quit starting these threads hopefully rushville uses this as motivation to get better as a program. 
also Hanover was up 69-6 at half over whiting, I was hoping Hanover would keep bringing it to teach whiting a lesson.

What kind of lesson?