Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional 32

6 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Do BTC fans still pull up the hay wagons & pick up trucks on the street overlooking the field behind the visitors stands and tail-gate the entire game?  Crazy atmosphere...

When we played them in 2016, I remember people the fence, but not any trucks, I think. But the atmosphere is really good, the entire crowd was into the game for 4 quarters. Even after they were up by like 24 in the 3Q

Edited by TigerFan20

1 hour ago, MDAlum82 said:

Do BTC fans still pull up the hay wagons & pick up trucks on the street overlooking the field behind the visitors stands and tail-gate the entire game?  Crazy atmosphere...

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

When we played them in 2016, I remember people the fence, but not any trucks, I think. But the atmosphere is really good, the entire crowd was into the game for 4 quarters. Even after they were up by like 24 in the 3Q

Absolutely still do that every home game! We did in 2016 too TigerFan...perhaps the pain you felt that evening has caused your brain to shelter you from the memory! 🤪

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, npatman said:

Absolutely still do that every home game! We did in 2016 too TigerFan...perhaps the pain you felt that evening has caused your brain to shelter you from the memory! 🤪

I still remember that cold, cold night, we were not prepared at all for your guy’s Wing Formation. It was a long ride home from Brownstown. Until we played you again 2 years later 😉

Edited by TigerFan20

10 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

I still remember that cold, cold night, we were not prepared at all for your guy’s Wing Formation. It was a long ride home from Brownstown. Until we played you again 2 years later 😉

Haha, I prefer to talk about 2016 if we can just stick to that please and thank you 🤣

Honestly, I was much more impressed with our defense that night than our offense, we're typically not
only a run first offense, but also a stop the run first defense, but our D stepped it up that night!

1 minute ago, npatman said:

Haha, I prefer to talk about 2016 if we can just stick to that please and thank you 🤣

Honestly, I was much more impressed with our defense that night than our offense, we're typically not
only a run first offense, but also a stop the run first defense, but our D stepped it up that night!

I remember the pictures the Memorial fans sent out of your tackle holding their D-end all night...cry babies! LOL

Hats off to Bosse for competing on Friday.  It would have been easy for them to roll over after we took the early lead, but they continued to battle back.  Not sure how many Bosse fans are on here but wanted to give props to them.

Now, back to the GS vs BTC Regional planning... sorry to interrupt.

Edited by HereComesTheBoom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, npatman said:

Are you sure? I mean we can have a therapy session on both games 😂

7 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

Hats off to Bosse for competing on Friday.  It would have been easy for them to roll over after we took the early lead, but they continued to battle back.  Not sure how many Bosse fans are on here but wanted to give props to them.

Now, back to the GS vs BTC Regional planning... sorry to interrupt.

Nice try on disrespect.  HH will get no disrespect here.  Memorial...probably, HH...nope.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, npatman said:

I remember that long drive, painful night, and also that your field was the worst natural surface I had ever seen for a varsity game. Nobody in Indiana has benefitted from installing turf more than Brownstown. 

10 minutes ago, tango said:

I remember that long drive, painful night, and also that your field was the worst natural surface I had ever seen for a varsity game. Nobody in Indiana has benefitted from installing turf more than Brownstown. 

Next up Washington….unless they have renovated recently and it went unmentioned but that field is brutal and has been since I was in HS 10 years ago.  

I imagine it would go a little ways towards turning the program around giving it some new life….but I’m sure the coaches there have been asking for it for years 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Are you sure? I mean we can have a therapy session on both games 😂

Hahaha, might be good for all of us!

28 minutes ago, tango said:

Oh yeah, I did forget about all of the whining about our cow pasture 🤣🤣🤣 Ironic that you mention that after we just had a mud bowl 3 days ago at Batesville lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, npatman said:

Hahaha, might be good for all of us!

Oh yeah, I did forget about all of the whining about our cow pasture 🤣🤣🤣 Ironic that you mention that after we just had a mud bowl 3 days ago at Batesville lol

The field was not an excuse.  You guys whooped our butts and would have whooped our butts on any surface. That game was actually a pretty important moment for our program.  We were pretty young in some spots and it showed us we needed to be tougher. I suspect the turf was well-received by most, if not all of the BTC faithful, right?

Good luck to you guys this week, npatman. 

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Next up Washington….unless they have renovated recently and it went unmentioned but that field is brutal and has been since I was in HS 10 years ago.  

I imagine it would go a little ways towards turning the program around giving it some new life….but I’m sure the coaches there have been asking for it for years 

I forgot about the Hollow.  It is worse than what BTC had. There is no question improving the facility would benefit the Hatchet football program, and probably other sports programs too (soccer, baseball, softball, etc.).   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tango said:

The field was not an excuse.  You guys whooped our butts and would have whooped our butts on any surface. That game was actually a pretty important moment for our program.  We were pretty young in some spots and it showed us we needed to be tougher. I suspect the turf was well-received by most, if not all of the BTC faithful, right?

I forgot about the Hollow.  It is worse than what BTC had. There is no question improving the facility would benefit the Hatchet football program, and probably other sports programs too (soccer, baseball, softball, etc.).   

Toughness is hard to teach, it's a mind-set. You all have certainly had a lot of success since then...we'll take some credit lol

Yes, I think most of the community was behind it. There will always be a few that just like to complain, but overall, it was well-received.

Thank you, I hope we can get them once!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tango said:

I just know that when I was playing that the coaching staff (pre coach hart) made it a point to tell us to watch out because of like concrete exposed on the sidelines and just other stuff when we played there.  Maybe those things have been addressed since then, idk…but the city of Washington and those fans deserve a new stadium….they have one of the coolest basketball arenas in the US and it has a capacity that is like 12th of all HS courts….but that track/football/soccer/lacrosse field is the complete opposite 

4 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I just know that when I was playing that the coaching staff (pre coach hart) made it a point to tell us to watch out because of like concrete exposed on the sidelines and just other stuff when we played there.  Maybe those things have been addressed since then, idk…

I had always heard about the fabled Hatchet Hallow, but never believed it could be *that* bad.  Then I visited.  Yikes.

Asphalt track ~2 yards off the sidelines.  The area drain inlet grates *just* off the sideline--about five drains on each side--all drop, what, 6"-8" down (more??) within a foot of the boundary?  How has there not been a major injury?

They did put some refurbished field turf down on the straightaways of the asphalt track, so that helps... some.  As long as you can avoid the anchors sticking about an inch out of the turf as you slide across it at the seams...  It is progress, but dang.  If it hasn't happened already, someone is going to get a life-changing injury.

I get it, I really do.  It is a historic 1938 field/stadium that just will NOT be replicated in this day and age.  I wouldn't propose they raze it and start from scratch, or even go to the expense of touching anything within the four boundary lines of the playing surface (yet) or the bleachers (ok, the visitor bleachers are horrible, but for the sake of this fantastical diatribe we'll stick with the OOB area and not my creature comforts).  However, AT A MINIMUM everything outside the playing field to the bleachers should be open season for renovation for the sake of player safety.

I think they had some kind of plan to possibly get rid of the track, but I don't know how serious that ever got beyond rumors... maybe someone from Washington can fill us in...?

I really do hope for some improvements because it has a nice atmosphere and obviously has some great history... but man I cringe on every OOB play.  

12 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

9 hours ago, tango said:

7 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I just know that when I was playing that the coaching staff (pre coach hart) made it a point to tell us to watch out because of like concrete exposed on the sidelines and just other stuff when we played there.  Maybe those things have been addressed since then, idk…but the city of Washington and those fans deserve a new stadium….they have one of the coolest basketball arenas in the US and it has a capacity that is like 12th of all HS courts….but that track/football/soccer/lacrosse field is the complete opposite 

1 hour ago, Esso Ayche said:

I had always heard about the fabled Hatchet Hallow, but never believed it could be *that* bad.  Then I visited.  Yikes.

Asphalt track ~2 yards off the sidelines.  The area drain inlet grates *just* off the sideline--about five drains on each side--all drop, what, 6"-8" down (more??) within a foot of the boundary?  How has there not been a major injury?

They did put some refurbished field turf down on the straightaways of the asphalt track, so that helps... some.  As long as you can avoid the anchors sticking about an inch out of the turf as you slide across it at the seams...  It is progress, but dang.  If it hasn't happened already, someone is going to get a life-changing injury.

I get it, I really do.  It is a historic 1938 field/stadium that just will NOT be replicated in this day and age.  I wouldn't propose they raze it and start from scratch, or even go to the expense of touching anything within the four boundary lines of the playing surface (yet) or the bleachers (ok, the visitor bleachers are horrible, but for the sake of this fantastical diatribe we'll stick with the OOB area and not my creature comforts).  However, AT A MINIMUM everything outside the playing field to the bleachers should be open season for renovation for the sake of player safety.

I think they had some kind of plan to possibly get rid of the track, but I don't know how serious that ever got beyond rumors... maybe someone from Washington can fill us in...?

I really do hope for some improvements because it has a nice atmosphere and obviously has some great history... but man I cringe on every OOB play.  

Hatchet alum (c/o 2013) here ready to answer all your questions/comments about our lovely little stadium. Let me first establish that football and marching band are the only two programs that use this facility. Soccer has their own facility/complex with the baseball and softball programs on the West side of town. Track has their own facility not too far away from that behind an elementary school. We don't have a lax program. Recent upgrades to Hatchet Hollow include new visitor bleachers within the past two years (they were literally falling apart before hand) and the aforementioned usage of the refurbished turf to cover the concrete track. Other than that, some home stand painting and maybe some replaced lighting and upgraded sound system, although our PA guy can go kick rocks for all I care. No personality as an announcer and has some family beef with me. But, that's not for this discussion. 

Last year there was talk and a referendum put up to build a new junior high on some farm land purchased near one of the current elementary schools. It would have included a new football/track facility and alleviated some issues with lack classroom spaces. This referendum was then voted down, leaving our program to continue to call Hatchet Hollow home. I wasn't too sad to hear this news as I enjoyed my time there, but I'm not ignorant in knowing that upgrades are needed in order for Hatchet Hollow to fulfill its potential as one of the most intimate high school football settings in the state. 

One of the best qualities Coach Morris brings to the table in my opinion is his qualities as a salesmen. Year 1 he reached out a bunch of us alums and set the path down for injecting us into the program more than we have ever been (or at least in my case). It was easy to to relate considering he's a Hatchet alum as well. He discussed his vision for the program and how our involvement as alums is vital in the development of the program. You look at some of the successful programs around SW Indiana and how active their alumni base is (Reitz, Mater Dei, Heritage Hills just to name a few) and we've been playing football just as long if not longer than some of them. It's no different than college: get the alums involved/engaged and good things tend to happen.

The first goal in maximizing Hatchet Hollow's potential is definitely ripping up that concrete track, the terribly placed drainage grates (where I witnessed a teammate DESTROY his ankle during a 7on7) and the instillation of turf. While my involvement with the program is entirely hands off since I live in Louisville, KY, I've always dreamed about Hatchet Hollow getting turfed up to the home stands kinda how the Reitz Bowl is. The teams are also in need of a new locker room space. Current one isn't bad, but a new one would look fantastic just outside the West end zone where they used to have a film tower that's now torn down. That would allow the junior high to move to the current varsity locker room. The home bleachers also have space underneath them: however, I'm not too sure how much of it is actually usable.

Another upgrade that is sorely needed is a new weight room. They have a dungeon down in the gymnasium that has been outgrown in my opinion, even when I was there. Dark, damp with old equipment they've had to made due with. I believe there's enough space to build a facility in the area I mentioned above to build a combined weight room/football locker room right at the field. I know for a fact that these renovations listed above are on Coach Morris' to-do list. I believe they'd breathe life into the program never seen before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, OldHatchetHog76 said:

Hatchet alum (c/o 2013) here ready to answer all your questions/comments about our lovely little stadium. Let me first establish that football and marching band are the only two programs that use this facility. Soccer has their own facility/complex with the baseball and softball programs on the West side of town. Track has their own facility not too far away from that behind an elementary school. We don't have a lax program. Recent upgrades to Hatchet Hollow include new visitor bleachers within the past two years (they were literally falling apart before hand) and the aforementioned usage of the refurbished turf to cover the concrete track. Other than that, some home stand painting and maybe some replaced lighting and upgraded sound system, although our PA guy can go kick rocks for all I care. No personality as an announcer and has some family beef with me. But, that's not for this discussion. 

Last year there was talk and a referendum put up to build a new junior high on some farm land purchased near one of the current elementary schools. It would have included a new football/track facility and alleviated some issues with lack classroom spaces. This referendum was then voted down, leaving our program to continue to call Hatchet Hollow home. I wasn't too sad to hear this news as I enjoyed my time there, but I'm not ignorant in knowing that upgrades are needed in order for Hatchet Hollow to fulfill its potential as one of the most intimate high school football settings in the state. 

One of the best qualities Coach Morris brings to the table in my opinion is his qualities as a salesmen. Year 1 he reached out a bunch of us alums and set the path down for injecting us into the program more than we have ever been (or at least in my case). It was easy to to relate considering he's a Hatchet alum as well. He discussed his vision for the program and how our involvement as alums is vital in the development of the program. You look at some of the successful programs around SW Indiana and how active their alumni base is (Reitz, Mater Dei, Heritage Hills just to name a few) and we've been playing football just as long if not longer than some of them. It's no different than college: get the alums involved/engaged and good things tend to happen.

The first goal in maximizing Hatchet Hollow's potential is definitely ripping up that concrete track, the terribly placed drainage grates (where I witnessed a teammate DESTROY his ankle during a 7on7) and the instillation of turf. While my involvement with the program is entirely hands off since I live in Louisville, KY, I've always dreamed about Hatchet Hollow getting turfed up to the home stands kinda how the Reitz Bowl is. The teams are also in need of a new locker room space. Current one isn't bad, but a new one would look fantastic just outside the West end zone where they used to have a film tower that's now torn down. That would allow the junior high to move to the current varsity locker room. The home bleachers also have space underneath them: however, I'm not too sure how much of it is actually usable.

Another upgrade that is sorely needed is a new weight room. They have a dungeon down in the gymnasium that has been outgrown in my opinion, even when I was there. Dark, damp with old equipment they've had to made due with. I believe there's enough space to build a facility in the area I mentioned above to build a combined weight room/football locker room right at the field. I know for a fact that these renovations listed above are on Coach Morris' to-do list. I believe they'd breathe life into the program never seen before.

Maybe whoever is proposing it…they should push for a new turf field to include soccer lines and such.  Gibson Southern I believe had to have those lines added to get the turf approved and at the time the soccer teams were just playing at the Ft. Branch middle school…which honestly had a really nice soccer field already.  

it’s a money game I know, but if you push to have the soccer/lacrosse lines + revamp the track…in theory you’re bringing in more alumni and people who are interested in other things besides just football

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

it’s a money game I know, but if you push to have the soccer/lacrosse lines + revamp the track…in theory you’re bringing in more alumni and people who are interested in other things besides just football

I wasn't sure how bad I wanted turf until we had it. Not only does our High School, Jr High, and Youth football programs (k-6) use it but it is also been used by our baseball team, our soccer team, our wrestling team (yes they put  mats on the field on a pretty day many a times,) our softball team, our track team (great for kids with shine splints,) our PE classes, heck some of the other classes have used it for class on nice days, and our community (events, personal exercise, movie nights, etc.) The field has people on it all the time!! It's great to see

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappy said:

I wasn't sure how bad I wanted turf until we had it. Not only does our High School, Jr High, and Youth football programs (k-6) use it but it is also been used by our baseball team, our soccer team, our wrestling team (yes they put  mats on the field on a pretty day many a times,) our softball team, our track team (great for kids with shine splints,) our PE classes, heck some of the other classes have used it for class on nice days, and our community (events, personal exercise, movie nights, etc.) The field has people on it all the time!! It's great to see

Exactly…I think it’s important to pitch it as a multi use facility and emphasize that as much as possible because nobody is going to raise the $500K + it takes, if it’s just a football field.  Gotta show how it benefits the entire school and community not just the 100 or so involved with the football program