Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DAC vs HCC Semi-State

Well we in the Region have been looking forward to this day since Merrillville and Valpo were sent packing last year. In this years version, both Merrillville and Michigan City are on fire. Both teams have speed, athletes at the right position, and the ability to beat you on offense in the air or on the ground. Same goes for defense, speed and athletes everywhere, except Merrillville is more multiple on defense with their four man front while Michigan City does not hide that they will dare a team to throw on them playing 9 players in the box and man to man all over the field. Merrillville has the best interior lineman by far in the region, Kenneth Grant a one man wrecking crew.

I have no doubt that both teams are ready to battle. Weakness for both teams, but more so for Michigan City is that they have been able to win while committing many turnovers and penalties. 

Looking forward to the DAC representing in possibly two classes. 

Edited by DACNUT
edit
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

Well we in the Region have been looking forward to this day since Merrillville and Valpo were sent packing last year. In this years version, both Merrillville and Michigan City are on fire. Both teams have speed, athletes at the right position, and the ability to beat you on offense in the air or on the ground. Same goes for defense, speed and athletes everywhere, except Merrillville is more multiple on defense with their four man front while Michigan City does not hide that they will dare a team to throw on them playing 9 players in the box and man to man all over the field. Merrillville has the best interior lineman by far in the region, Kenneth Grant a one man wrecking crew.

I have no doubt that both teams are ready to battle. Weakness for both teams, but more so for Michigan City is that they have been able to win while committing many turnovers and penalties. 

Michigan City would have been sent home last week had they played anyone better than Valpo. Some really, really, bad TO's kept them from handidly beating the Vikings. They gave Valpo every chance possible to stay in the game and eventually tie it. Could have likely won it in regulation with a FG had they not thrown an INT with under a minute to go.

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Michigan City would have been sent home last week had they played anyone better than Valpo. Some really, really, bad TO's kept them from handidly beating the Vikings. They gave Valpo every chance possible to stay in the game and eventually tie it. Could have likely won it in regulation with a FG had they not thrown an INT with under a minute to go.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda...  But in the end DID!  

Time for the Wolves to focus on the Semi-State and not look backwards, huh?  

5 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Coulda, shoulda, woulda...  But in the end DID!  

Time for the Wolves to focus on the Semi-State and not look backwards, huh?  

Absolutely! But, I'm a firm believer that it's more difficult to correct the future if you don't acknowledge mistakes in the past.

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Absolutely! But, I'm a firm believer that it's more difficult to correct the future if you don't acknowledge mistakes in the past.

AGREED!  Good luck next week to Phil and the da Boys.  "Coach Jake" is great one also,  down at Westfield.  

This one could be a classic!   

3 hours ago, DACNUT said:

If you’re Footballking 16 or Cody whatshisname then you probably agree with this post. Or this may be another freezing cold take.

I’m leaning towards the latter.

1 hour ago, Staxawax said:

If you’re Footballking 16 or Cody whatshisname then you probably agree with this post. Or this may be another freezing cold take.

Nah. He didn’t predict any W’s. Just said he thinks City and Ville have the athletes to make it interesting this year and is looking forward to the possibility of both winning. Seems fair. Cody would have called for a running clock in at least one of the games and the other to be 2 TD Region win. Parkhurst’s hyperbole doesn’t really bother me. What gets me is his inability to provide factual information regarding historical results. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s just a parody account attempting to troll.  

• Like 1

While this will be interesting, I am not sure we can make an honest assessment based on this weekend's games alone.  They will be interesting data points but I am not sure we can make any sweeping/broad generalizations based on these two contests.

I think that the DAC could hold its own in many scenarios if you just went straight down the conference standings, but I think the HCC is superior at nearly every position and even more so (Avon, Franklin Central, Noblesville vs Lake Central, LaPorte, Portage) at the bottom.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

the HCC is superior at nearly every position and even more so (Avon, Franklin Central, Noblesville vs Lake Central, LaPorte, Portage) at the bottom.

I think it remains to be seen whether or not the HCC is superior at the #1 position. I'll place my money on the HCC, but we won't really find out until Friday. Position's 2-8 are a 'no contest.' 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I think it remains to be seen whether or not the HCC is superior at the #1 position. I'll place my money on the HCC, but we won't really find out until Friday. Position's 2-8 are a 'no contest.' 

I think it'll be much closer than it was last year and give Merrillville more than a puncher's chance for sure.

I will be the first one to be realistic about the DAC or the northern conferences vs the HCC, MIC, but I would say that Michigan City and Valparaiso are not pushovers and have proven over last 4-5 years they can battle with the best, especially Valpo with tough losses to Carmel in a 6A semi state and given the New Pal team one of their toughest battles during their two year run. While the bottom half of the conference is way down, the top three teams are not, and have high quality coaching staffs and depth charts that are not a step below what Zionsville, Brownsburg, or Westfield have. 

I don't have a pick yet, but you can tell my heart is with the region. I have said in previous post this year, Merrillville is much more physical this year than the last three and will not rely on just using their superior athleticism to beat Westfield this year. Merrillville has physically imposed their will on every team they have played this year, throw in Marshall and their dedication to pounding Logan cannot be overstated. Same goes for Michigan City, they have started pounding the ball and not relying on their athletes, four kids who can take the ball to the house at anytime. 

Westfield and Zionsville defeated Merrillville and Valpo with not much resistance last year, I will be shocked if that happens this year. 

I think Merillville is actually much better than last year, which I wasn't expecting considering they lost JoJo to Notre Dame. That said, I just think the timing is bad for them. It's going to be very hard for Westfield to replace Maximus Webster, Micah Hauser, Popeye Williams (ironically from Merrillville), etc., from their Senior class. That group is ridiculously battle tested from getting years of varsity reps in the HCC and I think their end game is giving Center Grove one heckuva battle in Lucas Oil. I can see the Pirates putting up a fight, but I just can't envision them winning. I've been so impressed by Westfield 2 weeks in a row now. They took every knockout punch HSE could deliver and still came through in the clutch at the end of the 4th quarter. They completely knocked Carroll out of the game just when it looked like the Charrgers were creaping back in with a  TD and 2 pt. conversion.  I'm not worried about Merrillville playing the weaker schdule because I believe this game has been in their minds all off season and during this season. They knew what every off season workout and conditioning session was for. Everything they've done has been for this game. I think they'll be ready and give the Rocks a match. 

Regarding the two conferences as a whole, there's just no comparison. The bottom feeders of the DAC would be lucky to win a single game in the HCC. I think it says alot about the HCC that winless Noblesville was able to beat Mt. Vernon with complete ease. It was a 30 point game at one point in the 2nd half. And Noblesville really didn't do anything in that game that they haven't done all year. They just lined up in power formations and ran the ball down the throats of the Marauders. Realistically, only Merrillville, Valpo, and City could compete in the HCC. Crown Point can get there as long as Buzea's health remains good. LC should be there. Time will tell if Good is the guy to turn it around. Crown Point and LC really need to keep their talent out of Andrean's halls.

Edited by Boilernation

19 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Westfield and Zionsville will roll.

Don't let Brownsburg choking cloud your judgment and allow you to overthink things, DAC is arguably more underwhelming than the HCC in recent years. 

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1

10 years ago, when I was still working, I observed that the DAC and the HCC were approximately equivalent levels, the tier below the MIC. Whether it was true then or not, it’s certainly not true now. I was on the field for the Westfield - Merrillville game last year, and the Zionsville - Michigan City game last night. Those teams operate on a completely different level than the cream of the DAC. It is obvious from the moment they walk out on the field.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

10 years ago, when I was still working, I observed that the DAC and the HCC were approximately equivalent levels, the tier below the MIC. Whether it was true then or not, it’s certainly not true now. I was on the field for the Westfield - Merrillville game last year, and the Zionsville - Michigan City game last night. Those teams operate on a completely different level than the cream of the DAC. It is obvious from the moment they walk out on the field.

The HCC has made tremendous strides over the last 10 years, separating themselves from the SAC and DAC by a wide margin. Twenty years ago, the HCC would have been a thumping ground for the SAC. 

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

Just saying, the folks here love to give me shit but the HCC (barring conference realignment) will put everyone in the rear view mirror by then.

I don't doubt that. Seeing how Carroll and Homestead have grown in the Fort Wayne burbs, the Indy burbs are even bigger. 

3 hours ago, Bobref said:

I looked at the athletes Merrillville and City had on offense and figured they would keep them in the game for a while. For MC, the speedster Hatch had about 250 yards rushing and receiving. Unfortunately, Hart didn’t play as he hurt his knee in Thursday’s practice. Hopefully it’s not too serious. For Merrillville, Logan had a few moments and Marshall looked electric when he did get in space. 

Ultimately, I lost track of the reality that having some playmakers on offense wasn’t enough. All it took was a few minutes of each game to remember how huge of a difference the line play is from the HCC to the Duneland as well as the defensive front 7’s. The Ville and City more resemble a Decatur Central than a threat to the HCC. Too many big and talented dudes all over the field for Westfield and Zionsville. I watch the HCC all year and and forget just how overwhelmingly big and talented they are compared to the Duneland and SAC until the matchups materialize in front of me. 

Oh well. In a little bit I’ll be passing by Noblesville’s new football facility that includes 2 100 yard turf practice fields and a brand new football stadium that sort of resembles Center Grove’s. Hopefully the Millers can join the party at some point. 

Edited by Boilernation

6 hours ago, BTF said:

The HCC has made tremendous strides over the last 10 years, separating themselves from the SAC and DAC by a wide margin. Twenty years ago, the HCC would have been a thumping ground for the SAC. 

I actually laughed out loud when I read this! 20 years ago I don’t think the HCC existed. Most of those schools were midling 5A in enrollment at best. So, yeah, the DAC probably would have had a degree of success