Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern (10-0) at Owen Valley (10-0)

Does regular season schedule matter? GS and other PAC fans were saying schedule didn’t matter leading up to the S32 battles with Memorial and the rest of the field. I always felt like it was important to some degree. Now I’m hearing some of the same GS/PAC fans say schedule does matter. Has the thought on scheduling changed now that GS has beefed theirs up?  

• Like 1

I personally never said that SOS didn’t matter, but what I did say is that many teams in the state including some in the PAC have shown that they can go deep in the tournament with not the greatest of schedules.  So it’s obviously a good thing if you can and do take the opportunity to beef up your schedule.  

18 minutes ago, Screagle said:

Does regular season schedule matter? GS and other PAC fans were saying schedule didn’t matter leading up to the S32 battles with Memorial and the rest of the field. I always felt like it was important to some degree. Now I’m hearing some of the same GS/PAC fans say schedule does matter. Has the thought on scheduling changed now that GS has beefed theirs up?  

I think it’s more of a hindsight thing

sometimes it really doesn’t matter who you play and you just got the right dudes.  OV might be in that category.

other times schedule matters a lot…I would like to think that VL last week gave GS the trouble they did because they had been in tough games with memorial Reitz md and the rest of the SIAC.  So facing GS was similar to facing Reitz or someone and they didn’t just fold over and kept fighting 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I think it’s more of a hindsight thing

sometimes it really doesn’t matter who you play and you just got the right dudes.  OV might be in that category.

other times schedule matters a lot…I would like to think that VL last week gave GS the trouble they did because they had been in tough games with memorial Reitz md and the rest of the SIAC.  So facing GS was similar to facing Reitz or someone and they didn’t just fold over and kept fighting 

This could be a complete swing and miss…

GS 2022 reminds me of EM 2019.  Big names graduating after state title(s) runs and some questions that needed answered about who’s the next man up. Almost feel like underdogs most nights because most outside of the inner-circle of Titan football expected a let down.  Im sure Titan32 and others felt different. I had no doubts in 2019 the Tigers would make a deep run when many thought that was it.  

Im sure GS vs OV will be a good game with lots of big plays. Tournament wins on the road are never easy for high school teams this time of year. 

Edited by Screagle
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Screagle said:

GS 2022 reminds me of EM 2019.  

This might be the best compliment I’ve seen you give GS lol 

as for the titans inner circle vs not….I think expectations have changed.  Coming into the year many were focused on just conference and sectional…but after winning against South Warren…Southridge using the backup QB…the way they have handled adversity…I think the expectations have been rising slowly and many think there is something more to this class.  

but I’m an outsider who gets information second hand and this is just my interpretation.  I think I’m still hesitant to proclaim anything with GS while people directly involved with the program are more bullish on certain topics…which is completely fair 

1 hour ago, Screagle said:

This could be a complete swing and miss…

GS 2022 reminds me of EM 2019.  Big names graduating after state title(s) runs and some questions that needed answered about who’s the next man up. Almost feel like underdogs most nights because most outside of the inner-circle of Titan football expected a let down.  Im sure Titan32 and others felt different. I had no doubts in 2019 the Tigers would make a deep run when many thought that was it.  

Im sure GS vs OV will be a good game with lots of big plays. Tournament wins on the road are never easy for high school teams this time of year. 

I've seen this happen in other sports as well.  It's special to see that next group get their chance and do more than anyone expected. 

In 2013 Linton basketball finally broke through & won a sectional after a 20+ year drought. They rode the sectional championship momentum to a 2A state runner-up finish.  That season had been circled for several years & after losing 4 starters and 3 scholarship players not much was expected the following season. 

The 2014 group didn't care much about anyone else's expectations. A bunch of seniors who played JV their first 3 years went on to win 20+ games, and another sectional title before losing in the regional final. From that point on, Linton's been a 2A basketball power and one of the top programs in southern Indiana. 

Looking back at where the program is now, most people credit the 2013 team for breaking through (and rightfully so), but to me the 2014 team truly changed Linton Basketball. They proved you didn't need a bunch of superstars to win.  Good athletes who are smart, tough, competitive, and have something to prove can win a lot of games. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hick said:

I've seen this happen in other sports as well.  It's special to see that next group get their chance and do more than anyone expected. 

In 2013 Linton basketball finally broke through & won a sectional after a 20+ year drought. They rode the sectional championship momentum to a 2A state runner-up finish.  That season had been circled for several years & after losing 4 starters and 3 scholarship players not much was expected the following season. 

The 2014 group didn't care much about anyone else's expectations. A bunch of seniors who played JV their first 3 years went on to win 20+ games, and another sectional title before losing in the regional final. From that point on, Linton's been a 2A basketball power and one of the top programs in southern Indiana. 

Looking back at where the program is now, most people credit the 2013 team for breaking through (and rightfully so), but to me the 2014 team truly changed Linton Basketball. They proved you didn't need a bunch of superstars to win.  Good athletes who are smart, tough, competitive, and have something to prove can win a lot of games. 

Agreed.  Also helping Linton Basketball is the Statue of Liberty that has welcomed players from surrounding towns, cities, and counties. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, hick said:

So when you first log in there is an Indiana basketball Forum…you should check it out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

So when you first log in there is an Indiana basketball Forum…you should check it out.

😄

I have. Not much happening there lol

Maybe a part of me was wondering when GS was going step their game up & compete in a sport other than football?? I kid...

Edited by hick

3 hours ago, hick said:

This is a GS vs Owen Valley thread, no one cares about Linton basketball or Linton in general 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, The Ghost said:

This is a GS vs Owen Valley thread, no one cares about Linton basketball or Linton in general 

I want the best for GS and I believe in you guys!

Would love to see GS follow the Linton all sports success model.  Maybe we could arrange for your folks to do some job shadowing @ Linton-Stockton? 

2 hours ago, Donnie Baker said:

I’m out of reactions so here’s this😂😂😂

If you build it,they will come

6 minutes ago, hick said:

Would love to see GS follow the Linton all sports success model.  Maybe we could arrange for your folks to do some job shadowing @ Linton-Stockton? 

That’s funny!! Why would anyone from GS waste their time in city that has to try and tell you “You’ll Like Linton” as you enter town

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, The Ghost said:

That’s funny!! Why would anyone from GS waste their time in city that has to try and tell you “You’ll Like Linton” as you enter town

If you're okay being a two trick pony (football, GBB) you shouldn't 

Edited by hick

2 hours ago, hick said:

If you build it,they will come

Just to let you know, GS 4th grade beat Linton 27 to 0 ....and 6th beat Linton 41-6....this past weekend. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Titan76 said:

Just to let you know, GS 4th grade beat Linton 27 to 0 ....and 6th beat Linton 41-6....this past weekend. 

Congratulations. I knew about the 4th grade game. Didn't know about the 6th grade. 

One of our 4th grade  coaches said you had the best team there (also said Castle's officials were suspect).