Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gibson Southern (10-0) at Owen Valley (10-0)

6 hours ago, GS54 said:

Whomever needs to be thanked for hospitality at the game last night, thank you. What an amazing atmosphere it was.  A lot of it was created. Congrats to OV, we had a couple chances to put distance between us and they Never went away.  Good luck the rest the way. 

You should see the atmosphere during the regular season when we can use the digital board to its full potential and can fire off the cannon. 

53 minutes ago, hick said:

Let's keep this on the front page a little longer!

This one might. In the early days of Owen Valley football (early 70's), they didn't have a playable field. They played their home games at Cloverdale. A few years later, they finally got a field built, and had a huge crowd and big ceremonies for the opening night field dedication game. The lead trumpet player marched out to midfield, mic-ed up, to solo the Star Spangled Banner. He missed two of the first three notes, paused, and muttered an "aww F#$@" heard clearly over the loud speakers, before playing flawlessly the rest of the way.

Took it almost 50 years to drop to the second best night in OV football history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Stoner said:

This one might. In the early days of Owen Valley football (early 70's), they didn't have a playable field. They played their home games at Cloverdale. A few years later, they finally got a field built, and had a huge crowd and big ceremonies for the opening night field dedication game. The lead trumpet player marched out to midfield, mic-ed up, to solo the Star Spangled Banner. He missed two of the first three notes, paused, and muttered an "aww F#$@" heard clearly over the loud speakers, before playing flawlessly the rest of the way.

Took it almost 50 years to drop to the second best night in OV football history.

Great story. Until this week I didn’t realize OV was the only high school in Owen County. 

OV and their opponent next week, Pike Central, are disproving my theory of single HS county schools don’t have postseason success. (Albeit, Pike Central’s success this year is for a completely different reason than OV)

I assume Owen Valley is a consolidation of smaller HS, maybe Spencer and Freedom had separate schools 50 years ago? 

4 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I assume Owen Valley is a consolidation of smaller HS, maybe Spencer and Freedom had separate schools 50 years ago? 

From Wikipedia(if true): Built in 1971, OVHS is the result of a consolidation of several smaller schools located within Owen County. The three schools that were merged to make Owen Valley High School are Patricksburg High School, Spencer High School, and Gosport High School. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

From Wikipedia(if true): Built in 1971, OVHS is the result of a consolidation of several smaller schools located within Owen County. The three schools that were merged to make Owen Valley High School are Patricksburg High School, Spencer High School, and Gosport High School. 

Heck I always thought freedom and bowling green went there also.

57 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Great story. Until this week I didn’t realize OV was the only high school in Owen County. 

OV and their opponent next week, Pike Central, are disproving my theory of single HS county schools don’t have postseason success. (Albeit, Pike Central’s success this year is for a completely different reason than OV)

The 3 high schools that merged in 1970-'71 to form Owen Valley were Patricksburg, Gosport, and Spencer. Freedom and Coal City were Owen County high schools that had closed previously in the mid-60's. Quincy High School in Owen County burned in the 50's--but that is part of Cloverdale school district now.

Edited by Stoner
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hick said:

Let's keep this on the front page a little longer!

I'll tell you what I am so happy for Owen Valley! It's about time they got it figured out. Next time on my travels from NC to Indy to Linton I will stop at the Hilltop restaurant have a great meal and gladly toast to their success! (Hope there still there)

• Like 2

I will admit I’ve been to OV a few times over the years as well as having them in the road. They don’t have a much tradition. Good for OV, always good to see some success after a long drought. 

I’m quite familiar Pike Central, having spent a lot of time in Petersburg in my yute. We’ve been sent to Pike Central a couple of times in the tournament. Pike County was pretty much decimated when the coal industry petered out. It has been a tough situation. Again, happy to see Pike Central have a little success. If I’m not mistaken I thought I heard on Bob Lovell’s show a couple of weeks ago it was PC’s first tournament win. 

No interest in arguing merits of PC being there, just happy to see a couple of teams enjoy a little success when they’ve had so little over the years. Congrats to both teams. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I will admit I’ve been to OV a few times over the years as well as having them in the road. They don’t have a much tradition. Good for OV, always good to see some success after a long drought. 

Maybe not a whole lot of tradition, but I remember them having a really good team in 1992 (11-0 and losing to Cathedral in the 3A Regional 24-7), and in 1999 going 10-0 and losing a tight one to Ev North 18-12.

9 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I’m quite familiar Pike Central, having spent a lot of time in Petersburg in my yute. We’ve been sent to Pike Central a couple of times in the tournament. Pike County was pretty much decimated when the coal industry petered out. It has been a tough situation. Again, happy to see Pike Central have a little success. If I’m not mistaken I thought I heard on Bob Lovell’s show a couple of weeks ago it was PC’s first tournament win. 

No interest in arguing merits of PC being there, just happy to see a couple of teams enjoy a little success when they’ve had so little over the years. Congrats to both teams. 

Pike Central had a good run in 1986 (I think), and they actually won the PAC--this is the only thing they have ever won any kind of anything in football and I believe they have only been in the semifinal twice in school history.  Being in the final is a first.  

In 1986 they lost to us in the first round, I believe it was 20-0 or something like that.  

13 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I feel 100% the same way. Good for Pike Central! Maybe they can get some interest growing with the young kids and start building something. BTW, their last tournament win was in 2002 according to John Harrell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 8:27 AM, Patriot Nation said:

Congrats to OV awesome game. Nothing but respect to the GS team and fans you guys played well last night. Also you traveled well for a 2 hour road game. Patriot field was rocking last night and heard it was anywhere from 5000 to 7000 people there last night. With over 2 hours till kick off the stands were filling up. I don’t think there was other football field in the state if Indiana that was as packed and rocking like Patriot field. This video is not mine but thought I would share it anyways. Let’s go Patriots!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1722423207993391/posts/3475524409349920/

Thanks for sharing. Your Coach GET'S IT! Loved the way he kept the focus on the fact it was one game and the Patriots still haven't won Sectionals. Especially loved seeing him ensure the Seniors from Gibson Southern were shown respect as they left the field.