Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2023

Bobref

2 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Back to ND. 9-3 has to be the the bottom for this team right? If they go 8-4 against the schedule with the players they have something is fundamentally wrong or the injury bug hit hard. I want Coach Freeman to succed, he is probably the most likeable coach in my eyes since Lou Holtz.    I honestly think we will beat 1 or the 3 big teams on the schedule, if things go amazing there is a shot at winning all 3.  I really believe Louisville is a trap game as well as NC State.  The State game is before Ohio State and Louisville was a nightmare for Hartman last year, and you know Coach Brohm will have that hometeam jacked up to play the Irish. 

If they can somehow get 2/3 of OSU, Clemson, USC watch out.  I see 1-2 as the most likely outcome there (though 0-3 is more likely than 3-0 in my opinion) so it comes down to not slipping up one more time.

Draft Kings currently has the number right at 9 for what its worth.

The problem I would have as an ND fan in the current playoff format and their lack of conference affiliation is that anything less than 11 will feel empty because they have no conference championship game, will likely miss out on the four team playoff with more than 1 loss and will play in what is now a meaningless bowl game where most talented players will opt out.

Its playoff or bust in the current format.

Edited by temptation

On 8/7/2023 at 9:09 PM, Bobref said:

Not sure I agree with everything in the article, but it’s nice to see.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3477297/in-the-end-notre-dame-is-the-only-major-football-institution-with-any-integrity

In The End, Notre Dame Is The Only Major Football Institution With Any Integrity

Every single thing we love about College Football has been destroyed by the almighty dollar. The pageantry, the tradition, the regionality, the rivalries, the fact that conference championship was possible and everything for schools like Iowa, Washington State, Oregon State, Purdue, Texas Tech. One magical season for a mid-tier program could sustain a fan base for a generation. Those dream seasons are dead because Purdue might be able to put it all together to win a BigTen league in a year where they catch Michigan and Ohio State in a down year, but the idea that they could somehow finish ahead of Michigan, Ohio State, USC, and Oregon feels impossible. And yet it is still better to be Purdue than Cal, Oregon State, or Washington State today. 

All of these schools are racing to get the biggest cash grab possible by leaving 150+ years of tradition in the trash while also maintaining their non-profit tax exempt status. Joke. 

In the face of all of that there was one single school that said NO. We will not sell our soul, our mission, our identity, or our fans out for a few extra dollars. That hero who wanted to preserve college football and prevent it from becoming just a semi-amateur minor league NFL is Notre Dame. Every single one of these mega conferences has approached Notre Dame over the years. The BigTen now makes more sense than ever because ND's primary rival, USC,  is now somehow a midwestern school. Even with the promise of HUGE money, bigger money than they could get on their own, and the preservation of their national schedule, Notre Dame still said no. 

Notre Dame will remain independent. They will remain Notre Dame. They will play who they want and when they want. They will keep their integrity because they know an extra few million bucks a year doesn't really change anything for the positive. 

How much would Oregon fans pay per year to have a chance at a conference title and an annual game against Oregon State? Probably not worth it to the average fan an alumni. Worth millions to the administration who will line their own pockets with the extra cash though. I remember that phrase "too big to fail" from the 2008 financial crisis. I also think there is an idea that some things are so big that they have to fail. It's impossible to keep connection to what was special to begin with. Ultimately, I think we will see a decline in interest in college football. There's a reason why it's not as popular in the Northeast. The Northeast never had an real football tradition. No regional rivalries. No real conference. Now that is the case for most places. I think you'll see decline in interest of the schools that got left behind and then also the schools that will inevitably be left at the bottom of these leagues every year. It might take a generation for those predictions to come through, but college football won't have the same grip on America that it used to. 

People have been hating on Notre Dame for my entire life. They have probably been hating on them since Knute Rockne invented the forward pass. People can continue to hate them because that is what college football should be about, but they can't deny that ND recognizes that their program is more than just a money making machine. That their tradition can't simply be bought at this point. Somethings shouldn't change and bigger/more isn't always better. Notre Dame refuses to go with the flow and follow the money and everyone should respect them for that

Amen!

6 hours ago, temptation said:

If they can somehow get 2/3 of OSU, Clemson, USC watch out.  I see 1-2 as the most likely outcome there (though 0-3 is more likely than 3-0 in my opinion) so it comes down to not slipping up one more time.

The problem I would have as an ND fan in the current playoff format and their lack of conference affiliation is that anything less than 11 will feel empty because they have no conference championship game, will likely miss out on the four team playoff with more than 1 loss and will play in what is now a meaningless bowl game where most talented players will opt out.

Its playoff or bust in the current format.

Agree with all. I just think Hartman is a game changer. A playoff appearance wouldn't be a surprise in my opinion. Going 2/3 against the big three will get them there as long as there are no other hiccups. 

Don’t be cowards, Notre Dame. Save the Pac-12

https://deadspin.com/notre-dame-pac-12-ncaa-college-football-nbc-big-ten-acc-1850738542

Amid various upheavals and tectonic conference shifts, one of the nation’s most prominent college football brands has maintained its neutrality. Notre Dame is the Joel Osteen of college athletics as a football megachurch without a conference denomination. Notre Dame basketball is the garnish, but football pays the bills. However, the college football gusts are uprooting previously stable franchises potentially sweeping up Notre Dame.

The Fighting Irish earn approximately $22 million a year from their current media rights deal with NBC and through their partial agreement with the ACC, but the NBC contract expires in 2025. For their part, Notre Dame is seeking a bump in their football rights fees to somewhere in the neighborhood of $65 million and $75 million. It’s not quite Big Ten riches, but Notre Dame’s gotta keep up with the Joneses.

Since 1991, Notre Dame has remained content to rake in that sweet NBC dough. Let’s pose a hypothetical thought, and imagine that their negotiations for a new media deal in 2025 broke down because NBC desires to move them to Peacock while prioritizing their $350 million relationship with the Big Ten. Scoff at the implausibility if you want, but Texas and Oklahoma were joining the Pac-12 a decade ago. Three weeks ago, I was catching flack for suggesting the Pac-12 cancel their media day because the vibes were off. Life hits you fast.

Tribalism has swept over the land. BYU is joining the Big 12 and the media rights landscape is shifting quickly.

Under that scenario, joining the Big Ten is outside the realm of possibilities. Notre Dame values its visibility as a lone wolf. Pleading to a super conference would make them just another face in the crowd no matter how much of a financial boon it would be for them in the short-term.

The ACC’s ham-handed attempts to scoop up Stanford and Cal were reportedly at the behest of Notre Dame looking out for their natural rivals. For now, that quid pro quo is on life support. Props to them for making an effort to rescue the eggheads in Palo Alto from a sinking ship, but you know what would help?

Why not join a conference that is seeking a media rights deal and join the Pac-12? The Pac-12 appears to DOA, but what does Touchdown Jesus represent if not the resurrection? It’s not a super-conference, but a mini-conference is a solid middle ground.

Contrary to popular belief, the Conference Previously known as The Pac 12 still has a faint pulse and has hired former XFL chief Oliver Luck as an advisor and shadow commissioner. Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State aren’t an onerous open marriage. Only four teams remain, but in the worst-case scenario, the other four schools flounder beneath Notre Dame’s penumbra and the Fighting Irish will be right back to where they started in a one-team league.

On3’s Andy Staples recently proposed a hastily constructed conference of top-flight academic institutions and military academies consisting of Stanford, Cal, Army, Navy, and Air Force.

That’s less likely than Notre Dame joining the Pac-12. If Notre Dame ever sought to sink into irrelevance, Cal, Stanford, Army, Navy, and the Air Force would be their reapers. Besides that doesn’t leave them with enough flexibility for a robust “Shamrock Series” out-of-conference schedule.

Washington State and Oregon State are unimpressive hanger-ons, but this season, Notre Dame’s schedule consists of Navy, Tennessee State, NC State, Central Michigan, Duke, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, and Stanford so spare me. Then, Ohio State, Clemson, and USC are sprinkled in there between Sept. 23 and Nov. 4. They can still maintain their annual out-of-conference series against USC while beating up on the Pac-12’s C-team.

A rising tide lifts all boats and Notre Dame is the brand that can give any entity they join a boost. Is it crazy or are these just crazy times?

Yes, it is crazy.  Typical for most Deadspin takes.

I'm not sure if ND's independence has much bearing.  If they were to join a conference, they would probably not have a stranglehold on it.   Big Ten?  Nope.  SEC?  No way in hell.  ACC?  Most doubtful, as they are very top-heavy with Clemson, Florida State, Miami, and North Carolina with others such as Virginia Tech and Wake Forest showing flashes of brilliance.   Possibly  the Big 12, but I'm rather doubtful with their new lineup, especially BYU and Utah.

Them Mormons are mean.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 10:51 AM, temptation said:

The problem I would hav as an ND fan in the current playoff format and their lack of conference affiliation is that anything less than 11 will feel empty because they have no conference championship game, will likely miss out on the four team playoff with more than 1 loss and will play in what is now a meaningless bowl game where most talented players will opt out.

It’s playoff or bust in the current format.

And let’s not forget this is a staff and team that lost to Stanford and Marshall last year. For them to go 11-1 would mean the staff would have improved as much as the team. I’m not saying they can’t or won’t but the schedule is pretty tough. And let’s say they do knock off Ohio state, how will the team respond to that type of success? 

Too early for me to make a prediction but at this point from last season: the quarterback position is way better.  Running back has a lot of depth and should be better. Offense line should be solid, great at tackle and center but maybe questions at guard, major questions at wide receiver and who will be Hartman go to guy, tight end loses Mayer but young guys ready to step up. Defense line has a ton of depth that could be surprise of team; linebackers should be ok, corners have most talent in quite some time and safety room should be improved from last year. Add in 2 transfer kickers so special teams should be good. If I had to make a prediction I’d say 10-2 but 9-3 wouldn’t shock me with the schedule. 

Anxious for the game next Saturday in Ireland vs Navy

• Like 1

@temptation and I will be attending. 😂🤣😅😆

Rudy’ returns to Notre Dame Stadium for free Flick on the Field

August 19, 2022

Notre Dame News

•  
  •  
  •  

Flick On The Field

Catch a free Flick on the Field on Friday, Aug. 26, when the movie “Rudy” is shown at Notre Dame Stadium. The 1993 film, starring Sean Astin, tells the story of Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, who follows his dream to play football at the University of Notre Dame despite significant obstacles. 

Admission to Flick on the Field is free and open to the public. Parking is also free. Please park south of the stadium. Faculty, staff and visitors should enter the stadium through Gate D, on the southwest side of the stadium, starting at 8:30 p.m. The two-hour movie begins at 9 p.m. The movie will be captioned.

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

@temptation and I will be attending. 😂🤣😅😆

Rudy’ returns to Notre Dame Stadium for free Flick on the Field

August 19, 2022

Notre Dame News

•  
  •  
  •  

Flick On The Field

Catch a free Flick on the Field on Friday, Aug. 26, when the movie “Rudy” is shown at Notre Dame Stadium. The 1993 film, starring Sean Astin, tells the story of Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, who follows his dream to play football at the University of Notre Dame despite significant obstacles. 

Admission to Flick on the Field is free and open to the public. Parking is also free. Please park south of the stadium. Faculty, staff and visitors should enter the stadium through Gate D, on the southwest side of the stadium, starting at 8:30 p.m. The two-hour movie begins at 9 p.m. The movie will be captioned.

Great movie…have a soft spot for this one.

But…Rudy WAS offsides.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Final Stat Line of Buchner, Jurkovec, Pyne combined: 

18/47 (38.3%) 167 yards (3.55 YPA), 0 TD, 5 INT, 2 lost fumbles

saw this posted, yesterday’s stat line from former ND qbs. Maybe Tommy Rees was a miracle worker but really shows their lack of finding high end or developing the qbs they brought in. Hopefully that’s a thing of the past with this new regime 

Offensive line needs to play way better and defense has to do the same for a chance to win vs Ohio state. And definitely need JD Bertrand back 

Just now, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Final Stat Line of Buchner, Jurkovec, Pyne combined: 

18/47 (38.3%) 167 yards (3.55 YPA), 0 TD, 5 INT, 2 lost fumbles

saw this posted, yesterday’s stat line from former ND qbs. Maybe Tommy Rees was a miracle worker but really shows their lack of finding high end or developing the qbs they brought in. Hopefully that’s a thing of the past with this new regime 

Has the transfer portal, and their experience (so far) with Hartman, changed the thinking on this? Is it easier to get a plug & play mature QB from the transfer portal, as opposed to rolling the dice on a highly touted high school kid?

Hartman is a game changer.  he makes everyone a better player.  Funny how many thought Buchner was the golden boy at one time.  We have a real QB.  He has to stay healthy.

While everyone talks about the big three the Duke game looms a week after OSU.  Duke is the real deal based on what I have watched.  That is a huge trap game. 

It will get crazy here starting on Thursday and then you have Game Day as well.

I wonder how many ND fans gave up their tickets to the fans in red.  We shall see come Saturday

• Like 1