Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

“Recruiting is real in high school."

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2023/11/09/ihsaa-football-jace-stuckey-hopes-to-lead-triton-central-eastern-michigan-commit-indiana-high-school/71474364007/

Mark James, Triton Central’s new boys’ basketball coach, watched recently as Tigers’ quarterback Jace Stuckey coordinated a workout. James, in that fly-on-wall-moment, marveled at the respect Stuckey commanded from his teammates.

“I don’t know him personally,” said James, not one to pass out unwarranted praise. “But I could tell he’s a really good leader.”

Tim Able, a veteran coach of 30 seasons, including the past 11 at Triton Central, has never allowed a quarterback to call his own plays. Stuckey does — or at the very least has an influence. On Tuesday after practice, Stuckey pitched his ideas to the coaching staff on what to add and what to eliminate for top-ranked Triton Central’s Class 2A home regional game Friday against No. 4 North Posey.

Stuckey’s season, and his performance in front of college coaches, put him on the radar in a loaded class of quarterbacks. In early May, he committed to Eastern Michigan. While other schools, including Power 5 programs, wanted to Stuckey to keep his options open, he solidified his commitment to the Mid-American Conference school during his official visit two weeks later.

There is an alternative version to this story that could have Stuckey playing in a different regional game this week in a larger class. He heard from people throughout his high school career that he needed to transfer to a bigger school.

“Recruiting is real in high school,” Stuckey said. “I had people telling me it was time to get out. It kind of gets in your head when all these people are in your ear both ways. But I had a great foundation at home and a great coaching staff here that really helped me. I put the hours in, and it translated and worked out.”

Interesting statement by young Mr. Stuckey.  Wish the article delved more into it.

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

(Insert SARCASTIC shocked face emoji) 

Well duh ....and until the IHSAA takes a more hardline stance (which they won't), it will continue to happen. In this regard, I actually side with the p/p's. At least they are open and honest -They HAVE to recruit, or their school won't exist. Public's who call and poach top athletes from other schools, that is just public on public crime. I'm still from the old school of "Play with who ya got and who grew up in your school system" ....some don't feel/think that way. 

• Like 1

There's "recruiting" when you are marketing your school to convince local students to choose you over other P/P options.  And then there's "recruiting" when you are speaking directly to a specific student that also happens to be a good athlete.   Northside CYO kids can decide between Guerin, Brebuef, Chatard, Cathedral.  So all of those schools have to market directly to local grade schools and convince kids why their school is the best option in order to fill their classrooms.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Tin Cup said:

There's "recruiting" when you are marketing your school to convince local students to choose you over other P/P options.  And then there's "recruiting" when you are speaking directly to a specific student that also happens to be a good athlete.   Northside CYO kids can decide between Guerin, Brebuef, Chatard, Cathedral.  So all of those schools have to market directly to local grade schools and convince kids why their school is the best option in order to fill their classrooms.  

There is a difference between recruiting and undue influence.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tango said:

There is a difference between recruiting and undue influence.    

Agreed.   Undue influence of an athlete is a different story.  And it happens.  Nobody can deny that.  But the word "recruiting" gets thrown around as some kind of criminal activity.  P/P schools have no guarantee that students from feeder schools will select them over other options.  They aren't subsidized by the government, so if they don't fill their classrooms, they close.  Call it marketing or recruiting.  It's necessary.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jets said:

(Insert SARCASTIC shocked face emoji) 

Well duh ....and until the IHSAA takes a more hardline stance (which they won't), it will continue to happen. In this regard, I actually side with the p/p's. At least they are open and honest -They HAVE to recruit, or their school won't exist. Public's who call and poach top athletes from other schools, that is just public on public crime. I'm still from the old school of "Play with who ya got and who grew up in your school system" ....some don't feel/think that way. 

My momma said never side with the p/p's!

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

As an advocate for School Choice, you also must take the understand, school choice, can lead to this sort of thing to occur, when talking school choice, you cannot cherry pick, well only for academics, that is not the reality of the situation, I think you understand that.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

As an advocate for School Choice, you also must take the understand, school choice, can lead to this sort of thing to occur, when talking school choice, you cannot cherry pick, well only for academics, that is not the reality of the situation, I think you understand that.  

?  Holy run-on commas Batman!   Sorry, with such poor sentence structure I can't understand exactly what you are trying to say here.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

oh now, of course you can, if you choose to my friend.   

Im just a meathead elementary PE teacher, me no need good grammar

Sorry, I've tried and I just don't understand what you are trying to say here.    If you deem to rewrite your statement I will definitely consider it and compose a response.  Maybe get a English teacher from the RHS English department to assist you?

15 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

I would take the over...🤑

What's the going rate for a fourth grader currently in the Castle system, below average size and speed, theatre and chorus skills? She's undecided with a 4.0 GPA and has had unofficial visits to Memorial, Castle, North and Gibson. Heritage Hills and British (father's side) pedigree without a drop of Roman Church blood in her though...

4 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

What's the going rate for a fourth grader currently in the Castle system, below average size and speed, theatre and chorus skills? She's undecided with a 4.0 GPA and has had unofficial visits to Memorial, Castle, North and Gibson. Heritage Hills and British (father's side) pedigree a drop of Roman Church blood in her though...

You left out her 40 yard dash time. Also please upload a video of her running a 3 cone drill and refer to her as a “Dawg” as often as possible to let people know that you are serious. 

• Haha 4

Someone from Indy help me out. Recruiting is probably the reason the PP's, Ben Davis, and Warren Central are so good and teams deep inside the donut are so bad. I'm just not sure how Indianapolis teams can be as bad as they are without their best talent being raided by their neighbors. I'm presuming suburban schools are self sustaining based on their enrollment and resources alone and have nothing to do with the outright failure in Indianapolis proper when it comes to football. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BTF said:

Someone from Indy help me out. Recruiting is probably the reason the PP's, Ben Davis, and Warren Central are so good and teams deep inside the donut are so bad. I'm just not sure how Indianapolis teams can be as bad as they are without their best talent being raided by their neighbors. I'm presuming suburban schools are self sustaining based on their enrollment and resources alone and have nothing to do with the outright failure in Indianapolis proper when it comes to football. 

I will just say this, Ben Davis’s rise to state and national prominence seemed to coincide with Washington HS closing. But I’m getting old and my memory ain’t what it once was. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I will just say this, Ben Davis’s rise to state and national prominence seemed to coincide with Washington HS closing. But I’m getting old and my memory ain’t what it once was. 

What are the largest employers for people living in the BD district and how does their existence coincide with BD's success in the 80s and 90s?

2 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Ben Davis's State and National prominence was there long before Washington High School closed the first time in 1995. Their National Title came in 1991 Dick Dullaghan started coaching at BD in 1984 and that is when they really began to take off.

Busing though really was the start of the death nail to IPS schools.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

What's the going rate for a fourth grader currently in the Castle system, below average size and speed, theatre and chorus skills? She's undecided with a 4.0 GPA and has had unofficial visits to Memorial, Castle, North and Gibson. Heritage Hills and British (father's side) pedigree without a drop of Roman Church blood in her though...

Depending upon income qualification, she could be eligible for a school choice voucher. In any event, in determining the quality of education offered at each of the mentioned places, I might suggest that sometimes you get what you pay. I am confident our students can correctly spell the name of the school. 

soutern.png

53 minutes ago, Just a dad said:

You left out her 40 yard dash time. Also please upload a video of her running a 3 cone drill and refer to her as a “Dawg” as often as possible to let people know that you are serious. 

Always important..

6 minutes ago, tango said:

Depending upon income qualification, she could be eligible for a school choice voucher. In any event, in determining the quality of education offered at each of the mentioned places, I might suggest that sometimes you get what you pay. I am confident our students can correctly spell the name of the school. 

Soutern.jpg

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, BTF said:

Why is South Side terrible at football?  Could it be that the parents of talented kids in the surrounding neighborhoods decide to send their kids to Snider or Luers?  Do these same parents convince other parents to do the same?  Probably not a single Snider/Luers coach involved.  Same thing applies in Indy, just 3x the scale.

27 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Sorry, I've tried and I just don't understand what you are trying to say here.    If you deem to rewrite your statement I will definitely consider it and compose a response.  Maybe get a English teacher from the RHS English department to assist you?

You forgot the "C".  RCHS, but I digress

Just because I truly do like you, here you go. 

Muda69, as a champion of School Choice, you must understand that School Choice is not just about Academics.  School Choice is about the entire school community.  Examples of this include, but not limited to:  Academic success/reputation, School Culture, Safety, and yes, EXTRA CURRICULAR Activites, such as Sports, FFA, Robotics, et. al.   As someone who has advocated for School Choice, you cannot be naive to the fact that some families will utilize school choice for their child's athletic endeavors, good or bad, but that is part of the process as well, or as some may think, an unintended consequence of school choice.   

Cheers

Just now, kdets89 said:

Why is South Side terrible at football?  Could it be that the parents of talented kids in the surrounding neighborhoods decide to send their kids to Snider or Luers?  Do these same parents convince other parents to do the same?  Probably not a single Snider/Luers coach involved.  Same thing applies in Indy, just 3x the scale.

I bet South Side goes 5-0 against the Indy publics. I'm not saying recruiting doesn't occur in Fort Wayne, because it absolutely does. But there's more of a balance in Fort Wayne from the bottom to the top. There is zero balance in Indy. Either your top ten in the state or you're bottom ten. There doesn't seem to be an in between like there is in Fort Wayne. How did Indy Lutheran become so good so fast? Just a bunch of good ol Lutheran boys working hard? I'm not so sure. 

3 minutes ago, kdets89 said:

Agreed, add in IPS is a mess even in leadership. The IPS is the IPS's worst enemy and has nothing to do with recruiting from P/P or BD and WC. Numerous incompetent decisions made (too many to list). Rest easy though they have putt all their eggs in the Arsenal Tech basket. It starts with leadership and trickles on down.

• Like 1