Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Potential Dark Horses By Class

Now that the pairings have been revealed and the draw is known, who are some dark horses that you see that could make a deep run?  

Definitions of "dark horse" may differ but mine is a team that is rarely spoken of that could still be playing late in the tournament due to draw or springing a couple of upsets who also may not be represented in the polls.

I'll start:

6A:  How about one of the Lawrence Township schools?  Everyone is focused on the WC/NC matchup but both LN (Carmel, WC) and LC (Jeff, BD) have shown glimpses they have what it takes to play with the big boys on any given night.  Do Warren/NC beat up on one another then overlook the following week?

5A:  Decatur Central.  After consecutive losses to start the season, the defending 5A runners up have run off 7 in a row and all of the talk in 5A south is surrounding New Pal and Cathedral (rightfully so).  DC looks to be playing its best football of the season at the right time, again.

4A:  Indianapolis Roncalli.  Of course at 4-5, the Rebels record does not tell the whole story but as the tournament progresses, Roncalli has been steadily improving and has rattled off 4 of their last 5.  They should face little resistance in the sectional and could still be alive semi-state weekend.

3A:  Fort Wayne Concordia.  All of the attention is on the blood bath that is sectional 28 but the Cadets are obviously battle tested playing in the SAC and should roll through sectional 27 and face the survivor of sectional 28.  They will not have wide eyes and be intimidated having played Homestead, Carroll, and Snider.  

Honorable mention to Tri-West.  The Bruins have been in the news for all of the wrong reasons this fall but if they get by Danville in the opening round, I could see them making a deep run.  7-2 with losses to Plainfield and Western Boone is nothing to be ashamed of.

Honorable mention to Indian Creek.  Same sectional, but the Braves seem to also be hitting their stride (could be due to a weak schedule but the win over Triton Central shouldn't be ignored) at the right time.  They had little time to break in their transfer QB but have been putting up some big numbers over the past few weeks.

2A:  The aforementioned Triton Central squad.  If they can survive the potential travel of sectional 39 (which is BRUTAL), the Tigers could be set up for a deep run.  More travel awaits as a trip to Evansville/Linton could be in the cards but I think TC is a very overlooked 2A team.

1A:  How about North Vermillion?  Not sure if they meet my definition above but the Falcons could spring an upset or two in 1A south before Lutheran comes calling.

What say you?

4 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Now that the pairings have been revealed and the draw is known, who are some dark horses that you see that could make a deep run?  

Definitions of "dark horse" may differ but mine is a team that is rarely spoken of that could still be playing late in the tournament due to draw or springing a couple of upsets who also may not be represented in the polls.

I'll start:

6A:  How about one of the Lawrence Township schools?  Everyone is focused on the WC/NC matchup but both LN (Carmel, WC) and LC (Jeff, BD) have shown glimpses they have what it takes to play with the big boys on any given night.  Do Warren/NC beat up on one another then overlook the following week?

5A:  Decatur Central.  After consecutive losses to start the season, the defending 5A runners up have run off 7 in a row and all of the talk in 5A south is surrounding New Pal and Cathedral (rightfully so).  DC looks to be playing its best football of the season at the right time, again.

4A:  Indianapolis Roncalli.  Of course at 4-5, the Rebels record does not tell the whole story but as the tournament progresses, Roncalli has been steadily improving and has rattled off 4 of their last 5.  They should face little resistance in the sectional and could still be alive semi-state weekend.

3A:  Fort Wayne Concordia.  All of the attention is on the blood bath that is sectional 28 but the Cadets are obviously battle tested playing in the SAC and should roll through sectional 27 and face the survivor of sectional 28.  They will not have wide eyes and be intimidated having played Homestead, Carroll, and Snider.  

Honorable mention to Tri-West.  The Bruins have been in the news for all of the wrong reasons this fall but if they get by Danville in the opening round, I could see them making a deep run.  7-2 with losses to Plainfield and Western Boone is nothing to be ashamed of.

Honorable mention to Indian Creek.  Same sectional, but the Braves seem to also be hitting their stride (could be due to a weak schedule but the win over Triton Central shouldn't be ignored) at the right time.  They had little time to break in their transfer QB but have been putting up some big numbers over the past few weeks.

2A:  The aforementioned Triton Central squad.  If they can survive the potential travel of sectional 39 (which is BRUTAL), the Tigers could be set up for a deep run.  More travel awaits as a trip to Evansville/Linton could be in the cards but I think TC is a very overlooked 2A team.

1A:  How about North Vermillion?  Not sure if they meet my definition above but the Falcons could spring an upset or two in 1A south before Lutheran comes calling.

What say you?

Can I throw Columbus East in as a dark horse? The CG - CE games are always good. I think both teams could win that sectional.

• Thanks 1

In 6A, can Pike or Zionsville surprise Avon/Brownsburg after their huge sectional opener? 

5A: Bloomington South..Played a pretty decent schedule and have a manageable sectional and even more of a manageable potential regional opponent. 

4A: Agree wholeheartedly with the Rebels as a darkhorse. Would potentially face Mt. Vernon/Pendleton Heights in Regionals, and then face rival East Central or Mooresville in Semistate. 

3A: Mishawaka Marian? It seems like Chatard or WL's northern bracket to lose but could Marian pull off a shocker in Semistate?

2A: Heritage Christian... They haven't exactly played a murderer's row of a schedule but they do have a solid, young coach in Coach Ray. 

3A. Southridge.

Heritage Hills is the favorite out of the south but Southridge had them 7-7 at the half before the flood gates opened and Southridge also had Gibson Southerns number this last Friday for 44/48 minutes.  

it took a miracle from GS scoring with 4 minutes left getting a stop and then with 12.5 seconds left hitting an 88 yard touchdown on 4th and 10 + a broken philly special for the 2 to beat SR 22-21.  

they have the easiest path to a sectional championship for 32 and will likely face either Heritage Hills or Gibson Southern again and I’m sure neither GS or HH want to face SR again.  They will come hungry and with a massive chip on their shoulder 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Don't know if the injury bug has hampered the Rebels this season, but at least their starters will be able to sit out most of the tournament opener, and allow any nagging injuries to get more healing time.

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

I'll start:

What say you?

In 1A, what about Parke Heritage? They took NV to the brink and lost by 2 at the buzzer with an INT to end the game. They've looked pretty good. I think they're just as good as NV but we'll find out!

Out of NWI:

6A - Merrillville, if they can get past Jeff at home in the opener.  That should be a good one.

5A - Valpo has a nice shot to make a run in their first year in 5A

2A - Boone Grove / sneaky 9-0 team has beat up on everybody this year.  

42 minutes ago, DT said:

Out of NWI:

6A - Merrillville, if they can get past Jeff at home in the opener.  That should be a good one.

I’m not sure your first two fit MY definition of dark horse (maybe Merrillville I guess) but great points nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, Temptation said:

I’m not sure your first two fit MY definition of dark horse (maybe Merrillville I guess) but great points nonetheless.

Its virtually impossible for a true darkhorse to emerge from the field.  I can assure you that no one in central Indiana is concerned about an imminent threat from The DAC

😁

Mater Dei, Andrean, Brownstown Central (a lot of credit is being given to whoever wins Sectional 32, but the Braves won't be an easy out for anyone as they've repeatedly proven) 

I still think Evansville Memorial in 4A is dangerous, despite the double OT loss to Central. Lots of players with years of deep tournament runs pays dividends they have had 12 or so extra weeks of practice over the past three years... That's a ton of time to learn play packages and even if you weren't on the field, you were practicing against state-champion quality competition. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wvigo13 said:

In 1A, what about Parke Heritage? They took NV to the brink and lost by 2 at the buzzer with an INT to end the game. They've looked pretty good. I think they're just as good as NV but we'll find out!

Which game was that?  The final score of the game was 42 - 36.   

13 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Mater Dei, Andrean, Brownstown Central (a lot of credit is being given to whoever wins Sectional 32, but the Braves won't be an easy out for anyone as they've repeatedly proven) 

I still think Evansville Memorial in 4A is dangerous, despite the double OT loss to Central. Lots of players with years of deep tournament runs pays dividends they have had 12 or so extra weeks of practice over the past three years... That's a ton of time to learn play packages and even if you weren't on the field, you were practicing against state-champion quality competition. 

Didn’t Central go to state last year?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DT said:

Out of NWI:

Their Strength of Schedule is 261.  Kind of easy to beat up on everybody when you play against no competition, isn't it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Their Strength of Schedule is 261.  Kind of easy to beat up on everybody when you play against no competition, isn't it?

CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
2A 33 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 9-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
BOONE GROVE
WOLVES
Coach: Dan Kukulski, 26-7 in 3rd year at school
DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 44.6, DA 5.9

Aug. 23 at John Glenn 3A W 42 21    
Aug. 30 at River Forest 3A W 38 6    
Sep. 6   South Central (Union Mills) 1A W 53 0    
Sep. 12 at East Chicago Central 4A W 37 0    
Sep. 20   Wheeler 2A © W 40 0    
Sep. 28   Hanover Central 3A © W 42 13    
Oct. 4 at Griffith 4A © W 27 7    
Oct. 11   Lake Station 1A W 66 6    
Oct. 18 at Whiting 2A © W 56 0    
Oct. 25 at Whiting 2A 7:00 pm   Sectional 33

©GREATER SOUTH SHORE CONFERENCE GAME

I see a 2A school with wins over three 3A schools and two 4A schools.  I see a 56-0 demolition of a very proud Whiting team.  This team looks very solid, and has flown below the radar all year.  And they have nice uniforms.https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jake-mayersky/ZpPgdGD-Eea-8KA2nzwbTA/default.htm

Edited by DT

37 minutes ago, DT said:
CLASS SECTIONAL JOHN HARRELL'S INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RECENT SEASONS
2A 33 E-MAIL CORRECTIONS MAP TO SCHOOL 9-0
TOURNAMENT HISTORY
BOONE GROVE
WOLVES
Coach: Dan Kukulski, 26-7 in 3rd year at school
DATE OPPONENT CENTRAL TIME OA 44.6, DA 5.9

Aug. 23 at John Glenn 3A W 42 21    
Aug. 30 at River Forest 3A W 38 6    
Sep. 6   South Central (Union Mills) 1A W 53 0    
Sep. 12 at East Chicago Central 4A W 37 0    
Sep. 20   Wheeler 2A © W 40 0    
Sep. 28   Hanover Central 3A © W 42 13    
Oct. 4 at Griffith 4A © W 27 7    
Oct. 11   Lake Station 1A W 66 6    
Oct. 18 at Whiting 2A © W 56 0    
Oct. 25 at Whiting 2A 7:00 pm   Sectional 33

©GREATER SOUTH SHORE CONFERENCE GAME

I see a 2A school with wins over three 3A schools and two 4A schools.  I see a 56-0 demolition of a very proud Whiting team.  This team looks very solid, and has flown below the radar all year.  And they have nice uniforms.https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jake-mayersky/ZpPgdGD-Eea-8KA2nzwbTA/default.htm

And I'll raise you with this:

Class    Team                         Class rank      State rank

3A        John Glenn                 35                     182

3A        River Forrest               47                     241

1A       S C. U. Mills                  40                     273

4A       East Chicago                48                     214

2A       Wheeler                         42                     223

3A        Hammond Central      29                     152

4A        Griffith                           46                     192

1A        Lake Station                 60                     315

2A        Whiting                           55                    262

You can brag about playing 3A and 4A teams all day long, but when they are all bottom feeders, I see a 9 - 0 team that has played no one and SHOULD have been 9 - 0 with a schedule that easy.  The toughest team they played was Hammond Central and they are close to being in the bottom half of the state's worst teams.  And you realize there's what, 320 teams in Indiana?  I'd sooner call Scecina as a dark horse.  They play in the Indiana Crossroads conference (who is no stranger to state champions in recent years) and get tested most weeks.  They currently have a 6 - 3 record.  And while one of those losses was to 1A Lutheran, they are one of the favorites to win the 1A title this year.  Scecina was no stranger to deep tourney runs when they were in 1A and they still are now that they are in 2A.  Solid program.

9 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

And I'll raise you with this:

Class    Team                         Class rank      State rank

3A        John Glenn                 35                     182

3A        River Forrest               47                     241

1A       S C. U. Mills                  40                     273

4A       East Chicago                48                     214

2A       Wheeler                         42                     223

3A        Hammond Central      29                     152

4A        Griffith                           46                     192

1A        Lake Station                 60                     315

2A        Whiting                           55                    262

You can brag about playing 3A and 4A teams all day long, but when they are all bottom feeders, I see a 9 - 0 team that has played no one and SHOULD have been 9 - 0 with a schedule that easy.  The toughest team they played was Hammond Central and they are close to being in the bottom half of the state's worst teams.  And you realize there's what, 320 teams in Indiana?  I'd sooner call Scecina as a dark horse.  They play in the Indiana Crossroads conference (who is no stranger to state champions in recent years) and get tested most weeks.  They currently have a 6 - 3 record.  And while one of those losses was to 1A Lutheran, they are one of the favorites to win the 1A title this year.  Scecina was no stranger to deep tourney runs when they were in 1A and they still are now that they are in 2A.  Solid program.

I have no beef with you on this issue my friend.  Boone Grove can only play the schools on its schedule.  Small schools rarely travel out of their home areas to play better competition.

This Boone Grove program has been building for a few years now.  Note that the school is in Valparaiso,, a historically strong Indiana high school football city.

Boone seems to have eclipsed the other small school risers in NWI, including Wheeler, Hanover Central, and longtime standout Whiting.  One could make an argument that BG is the premiere program, pound for pound, in NWI.  This 2A Sectional 33 looks very interesting.  Since Boone, in your view, hasn't been tested this year, a looming 2nd round matchup with Renseltucky should be one to watch out for very soon.

And I do appreciate your over the top 2A southern bias.  

Edited by DT