Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Finals Format Changing

2 hours ago, coach_schreibjr said:

This may be a reach but I always thought it'd be cool if they did a traveling state title. One year at Lucas Oil, next at Notre Dame Stadium, go to Bloomington, and then West Lafayette. I'm not sure if there is a stadium in the southern part of the state that would be feasible for a 6A state title.

I'm sure attendance would be much worse than it is now at Lucas Oil because they'd be outdoor games. But, at least those schools in the North & South wouldn't have to travel nearly as far every year. It would also take away that home game feeling those metro schools have when they play.

I'd rather keep Lucas Oil for the championship but use those venues for semi state games for the bigger classes. This is however using my method of determining semi state matchups instead of what is currently used. I'd rotate which regional winner plays which every three years. So currently it is basically NW vs NE and SW vs SE. I'd have a 3 year rotation and I'll use NE in this example (since that is my area). Year 1 NE vs NW and SW vs SE; Year 2 NE vs SW and NW vs SE; Year 3 NE vs SE and NW vs SW. Year 1 the first matchup could be at Notre Dame and the second in Bloomington. Year 2 I'm not sure what locations would work for those probably U of Indy or something like it. Year 3 could have the first matchup at Ball State and the 2nd at Purdue. I know many Ohio HS football fans wish they had a Lucas Oil venue for their state championship. The east side of Ohio has reclaimed holding the championships after a brief stay at the horseshoe. Many of the smaller division champs in Ohio are from the NW/WC Ohio area.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

I'd rather keep Lucas Oil for the championship but use those venues for semi state games for the bigger classes. This is however using my method of determining semi state matchups instead of what is currently used. I'd rotate which regional winner plays which every three years. So currently it is basically NW vs NE and SW vs SE. I'd have a 3 year rotation and I'll use NE in this example (since that is my area). Year 1 NE vs NW and SW vs SE; Year 2 NE vs SW and NW vs SE; Year 3 NE vs SE and NW vs SW. Year 1 the first matchup could be at Notre Dame and the second in Bloomington. Year 2 I'm not sure what locations would work for those probably U of Indy or something like it. Year 3 could have the first matchup at Ball State and the 2nd at Purdue. I know many Ohio HS football fans wish they had a Lucas Oil venue for their state championship. The east side of Ohio has reclaimed holding the championships after a brief stay at the horseshoe. Many of the smaller division champs in Ohio are from the NW/WC Ohio area.

Like this idea a lot with the exception of the venues.  I’d rather see a place like Ball State nearly full than see ND/IU at 15-20% capacity.

Edited by Guest

If i am wrong please tell me.  I was thinking that the  ncaa banned  all high school games from being played on campus.

I know a lot people what seeding of the tournament  they feel it would make the regular season mean more.  For me i would  like to see then use a ranking seystem to pick the home teams and then let the school run it a normal home game with all the fan fair of the regular season game.   The easiest way would be to  use the sagarin rating system I know this is not perfect but for this I think it would work.

3 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

If i am wrong please tell me.  I was thinking that the  ncaa banned  all high school games from being played on campus.

I know a lot people what seeding of the tournament  they feel it would make the regular season mean more.  For me i would  like to see then use a ranking seystem to pick the home teams and then let the school run it a normal home game with all the fan fair of the regular season game.   The easiest way would be to  use the sagarin rating system I know this is not perfect but for this I think it would work.

I believe it is the choice of individual schools. I know it was Barry Collier’s decision to not have the sectional or regional at Hinkle when he took over as AD. I could be wrong, but I don’t recall an NCAA mandate on that. I know just a couple seasons ago, Ball State hosted a conference day of games for teams nearby. It may have been the ACAC. 

1 minute ago, Trojanmp52 said:

All that makes too much sense. In the meantime we will just continue to make fun of the IHSAA and why they do things so backward. A 9-0 team goes on the road to play an 0-9 team in the first round. Or even better, two 9-0 teams square off in one game and two 0-9 teams square off in the other. An 0-9 team earns the right to play another week while a 9-0 team cleans out their lockers. Everyone except the IHSAA knows this is stupid, but I'm sure we'll get some politically correct responses. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I believe it is the choice of individual schools. I know it was Barry Collier’s decision to not have the sectional or regional at Hinkle when he took over as AD. I could be wrong, but I don’t recall an NCAA mandate on that. I know just a couple seasons ago, Ball State hosted a conference day of games for teams nearby. It may have been the ACAC. 

Yeah it's been a few years now, but it was the ACAC. Sure miss those old days of playing in the old RCA dome on a Saturday in September for the ACAC.

20 minutes ago, BTF said:

All that makes too much sense. In the meantime we will just continue to make fun of the IHSAA and why they do things so backward. A 9-0 team goes on the road to play an 0-9 team in the first round. Or even better, two 9-0 teams square off in one game and two 0-9 teams square off in the other. An 0-9 team earns the right to play another week while a 9-0 team cleans out their lockers. Everyone except the IHSAA knows this is stupid, but I'm sure we'll get some politically correct responses. 

Yep there are a few who want the random draw for whatever reason. I would rather see it seeded or at least the top 4 teams in each 8 team sectional seeded (top 2 for 4 /5 team sectionals). At least the IHSAA has it right with the all in tournament and success factor. I get flack on Yappi for supporting the all in tournament as those Buckeyes love playoff qualifying. No undefeated team should be punished by their strength of schedule at this level like what happens in Ohio. They do get it right by seeding it though! They also get it right by having neutral site venues for later rounds of the playoffs. Most of their early playoff games are neutral sites for the most part, a very few are not. I would like to see our Indiana sectionals if seeded or partially seeded give the highest remaining seed home field advantage. Then regional and semi states at neutral venues and state remain at Lucas Oil. Ohio's division breakdown process is awful though (Competitive Balance) as what they truly want is our Success Factor.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:04 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

IHSA uses NIU as their state title venue and they'll play at University of Illinois sometimes too. In Illinois they've got a cool playoff format. It's far different than Indiana and it starts with not allowing everyone to compete in the playoffs. If we got rid of that we could go to more of a true playoff format. 

9 hours ago, coach_schreibjr said:

IHSA uses NIU as their state title venue and they'll play at University of Illinois sometimes too. In Illinois they've got a cool playoff format. It's far different than Indiana and it starts with not allowing everyone to compete in the playoffs. If we got rid of that we could go to more of a true playoff format. 

I believe the issue is the university hosting the event versus renting the venue to another group to use. If that's correct NIU couldn't organize an event for HS teams to play at their stadium, but a conference or state association can contract to host an event there. There may also be rules against coaches or athletic staff being there during the event. It's still a win for the school though because student athletes are on their campus.

11 hours ago, JustRules said:

I believe the issue is the university hosting the event versus renting the venue to another group to use. If that's correct NIU couldn't organize an event for HS teams to play at their stadium, but a conference or state association can contract to host an event there. There may also be rules against coaches or athletic staff being there during the event. It's still a win for the school though because student athletes are on their campus.

Yea I think you're right about all of that. I think most of our student-athletes tend to stay in state anyway but it is still great to have players on campus for any reason. I think there are a lot of D3 campuses in Indiana that have great venues and amazing facilities. When talking about a rotating regional or semi state, there are a lot of places throughout the state that could hold those.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, BTF said:

https://www.ihsa.org/data/fb/playoffs.htm#:~:text=If all tied teams played each other%2C highest point differential,Most wins in all games.

I thought I was the only one that didn't like our format in Indiana. The link is for the Illinois High School Football Playoff point system and selection process for playoff teams. They have a 256 team playoff primarily because of how many schools are in the state of Illinois. I'm sure there isn't some arbitrary number Indiana could come up with but it would probably be just above half of our state's schools making the playoffs based on this point system. It even goes as far as how to determine who hosts a game and what day/time. For instance, you could be a team in NWI and travel to play a team in the southern part of the state and vice versa. I think it'd make IHSAA football much more competitive going to this playoff format or something similar to this.

12 hours ago, JustRules said:

They use NIU when Illinois hosts Northwestern in their rivalry game. They dont have access to Memorial Stadium because Illinois is at home that weekend. So it goes back and forth.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:38 AM, Gipper said:

I like that idea!  I don’t know anything about UE’s football facility and Hanover’s in tiny.  I don’t think it’s very big at ISU either.

UE's football facility was turned into a soccer field years ago.

3 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

UE's football facility was turned into a soccer field years ago.

ISU's football stadium seats 12, 764. It's not big at all. Only one side of bleachers too. And parking is horrendous there as well.

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Driven by there numerous times--I agree.

12,000+ is plenty for just about any playoff game.  Parking?  I don't know about that.  But the biggest thing is ISU is in Terre Haute........ not north, not really south, just extremely west!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 3:09 PM, Irishman said:

If Collier made that decision, he changed it.  I attended the Hinkle regional in '02. 

Edit:  What a bad memory.  Collier didn't become AD until 2006, so you might very well be right!

Edited by Staxawax
  • Like 1