Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Football Season Options

Lots talking and planning going on now.

And, still a lot of talk and planning still to come.

With the present mask requirement in Indiana, would a delay help the numbers level off?

In your opinion, what are the options for the HS football season?

1 - Cancel the season entirely?

2 - Postpone the season to the spring?

3 - Postpone the season for Weeks 1 - 4 and pick up with week 5 (that would put us at September 18 to start)?

4 - Postpone the season and play the last 4 regular season games (September 25 start with Week 6)?

5 - Other suggestions?

What say you?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

1 minute ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Lots talking and planning going on now.

And, still a lot of talk and planning still to come.

With the present mask requirement in Indiana, would a delay help the numbers level off?

In your opinion, what are the options for the HS football season?

1 - Cancel the season entirely?

2 - Postpone the season to the spring?

3 - Postpone the season for Weeks 1 - 4 and pick up with week 5 (that would put us at September 18 to start)?

4 - Postpone the season and play the last 4 regular season games (September 25 start with Week 6)?

5 - Other suggestions?

What say you?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

Number 3. Give teams that are in different phases or starting late a chance to catch up. Plus it gives IHSAA more time and everyone a chance to figure this all out. 

6 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

If you play as planned do you allow any fans in the stands?

I would start with immediate family of players (including grandparents if the player so choses) only plus media.  Then move to a 50% capacity model whereby the number of players is divided into 50% capacity and tickets are given out by the players depending on the local COVID-19 situation as determined by the school corporation.

12 hours ago, Titan32 said:

None of the above.  The best option for Indiana is to play as scheduled as long as your school is open for face to face.

Agreed.

I know this is hard for some to believe, but there are 90 other counties besides Marion and Lake. 

• Like 3

South Bend as of this moment said no fans at any athletic events.  Let's be realistic the behavior of the young people and the coaching staff with following guidelines and staying away from large crowds will determine how the season goes whether there are fans or not and every count will probably have their own guidelines to follow.

I read an interesting comment yesterday on another outlet...and I wonder too...How are high schools thinking that we can navigate all of this, with little to no resources readily available at all times?  When professional organizations and universities, with gigantic resources available, cannot get a plan in place that seems to work?  We see multiple colleges and conferences postponing..professional teams having outbreaks...what do we have, as public high school personnel, that give us an idea that we can pull it off?  This is just a question..

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Would love to see 5 come to fruition. 
2 is DOA....Not a prayer that happens. 

It will probably be #5, but not as a structured plan.  It'll potentially look like the MLB situation that we are seeing.  The difference is that, unlike the MLB, high schools will have less testing, less resources, and much less of a support environment to weather the storm.

7 minutes ago, Fan90 said:

I read an interesting comment yesterday on another outlet...and I wonder too...How are high schools thinking that we can navigate all of this, with little to no resources readily available at all times?  When professional organizations and universities, with gigantic resources available, cannot get a plan in place that seems to work?  We see multiple colleges and conferences postponing..professional teams having outbreaks...what do we have, as public high school personnel, that give us an idea that we can pull it off?  This is just a question..

Athletes who do not spend time in bars and nightclubs.  Athletes who don't fly.  Smaller numbers.  Fortunately common sense takes one farther with COVID-19 than does resources.  By "working" to many think that means ZERO cases.  More than a few HS programs in our state have already managed "cases" successfully without major outbreaks. In many instances postponing is just kicking the can down the road in an effort to be a fast follower as opposed to doing the hard work of moving forward and taking the lead. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Agreed.

I know this is hard for some to believe, but there are 90 other counties besides Marion and Lake. 

I can only speak for Lake County, but cases are mainly higher in a few of the cities in the county, not the whole county. Its a school by school decision.

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Would love to see 5 come to fruition. 
2 is DOA....Not a prayer that happens. 

Why? I bet you the IHSAA already has a back up plan to play in spring as a just in case. If the big 10 moves to spring.. No doubt HS will in this state. 

Just now, TheStatGuy said:

Why? I bet you the IHSAA already has a back up plan to play in spring as a just in case. If the big 10 moves to spring.. No doubt HS will in this state. 

Not a chance. For that to work, the Spring coaches would have been told plan on the possibility of playing in the Fall. Not a single one of those coaches associations has been told that. With the official start date less than two weeks away, there is no possible way to tell those sports to be ready. And to have football in the Spring at the same time as those sports? Not a chance. Between Track, Baseball and Football, at least two of the sports would suffer because kids would be forced to choose one over another. 

1 hour ago, Indian72 said:

South Bend as of this moment said no fans at any athletic events.  Let's be realistic the behavior of the young people and the coaching staff with following guidelines and staying away from large crowds will determine how the season goes whether there are fans or not and every count will probably have their own guidelines to follow.

High School aged kids across the NATION, including Indiana have been hangin out with each other since MARCH 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

Not a chance. For that to work, the Spring coaches would have been told plan on the possibility of playing in the Fall. Not a single one of those coaches associations has been told that. With the official start date less than two weeks away, there is no possible way to tell those sports to be ready. And to have football in the Spring at the same time as those sports? Not a chance. Between Track, Baseball and Football, at least two of the sports would suffer because kids would be forced to choose one over another. 

unless you move Spring to Summer....   not ideal, and not likely, but Wisconsin was close to doing that from what I was told, but again, nothing from actual decision makers