Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Suspended or cancelled season

34 minutes ago, TheStatGuy said:

I didn't omit them. They were terrible at the start but now aren't as bad as the state's I mentioned earlier.

Kreigh 50

Temptation 0. 

Take a look again.  Their death/hospitalization rate (you know, the most important metric) was astronomical in comparison to the states that “opened too early.”

2 hours ago, Football Guru 25 said:

hearing non essential  businesses are going to 25% capacity starting August 3rd.    Sorry for voicing my opinion here but... there will be NO highschool football in 2020.... who is agreeing on this opinion!

Nobody who understands math and science.

7 hours ago, wrcsage said:

I am for football this fall as much as anyone....but I still pose the question:  what is different now with the virus than back in March when we shut it all down?

You can’t be serious.  It’s night and day.

We know much more about HOW the virus spreads, we know much more about to WHOM the virus is most dangerous, we know much more about the effectiveness of social distancing and masking and MOST IMPORTANTLY we know that the death rate has dropped significantly and despite the NUMBER of cases increasing, the death rate has remained fairly consistent and has not grown parallel to the case rate.

13 minutes ago, Temptation said:

You can’t be serious.  It’s night and day.

We know much more about HOW the virus spreads, we know much more about to WHOM the virus is most dangerous, we know much more about the effectiveness of social distancing and masking and MOST IMPORTANTLY we know that the death rate has dropped significantly and despite the NUMBER of cases increasing, the death rate has remained fairly consistent and has not grown parallel to the case rate.

I will state again....what is different with the virus?  It is still highly contagious.  We still have no vaccine/treatment.  I’m pretty sure nothing has changed with the virus itself since back in March.  

8 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

I will state again....what is different with the virus?  It is still highly contagious.  We still have no vaccine/treatment.  I’m pretty sure nothing has changed with the virus itself since back in March.  

I know that there have been  several mutations of the virus since the outbreak. Some strains are far more severe than others. 

17 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

We CANNOT wait until we get a vaccine to return to normal AND a vaccine guarantees NOTHING.  Get your head out of the sand.

Its contagious but now we now more about HOW contagious it is, the environments in which it spreads easiest and whom it is most vulnerable.

26 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

We know it isn’t a hoax.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wrcsage said:

Cases are at their highest level.  Many people refuse to wear masks to stop the spread.  It is hitting the under 40 group in high numbers.  Look at the colleges that have had to shut down.  I love football but the current situation is almost like what enxt.

1 hour ago, wrcsage said:

What was the goal of the March shutdown?  The goal was to flatten the curve to the point hospitals wouldn't be over run during a return life.  For now we can only manage this....it doesn't go away.  Let's return to life and manage this!

14 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

What was the goal of the March shutdown?  The goal was to flatten the curve to the point hospitals wouldn't be over run during a return life.  For now we can only manage this....it doesn't go away.  Let's return to life and manage this!

Except that we are seeing overrunning in some states at this point in time ... and not just the "fly over states" either.  Florida has over more than 50 hospitals that are past their ICU capacity.  In Houston, the children's hospital is admitting adults because of capacity constraints and many cities/areas in Texas, which had been transferring patients to other areas of the state that had capacity, are now finding that those areas no longer have capacity either.  Some hospitals are already turning away COVID patients.  In Starr County in Texas, they have created a committee/board that will evaluate cases of patients to decide which ones will be sent home to die as opposed to having continued treatment at the hospital due to resource constraints.

I agree that managing it is a necessity, given where we are; however, I don't think that we have gotten to a point where we should be putting the foot on the accelerator just yet.  A modicum of caution and an understanding that we may need to have reduced access to "normal" for more than a couple of months might be a necessity/reality.

How many region teams have shut down?  Like 16?  What happens when a team is exposed to the virus and they have to quarantine for 14 days?  What if this happens once the season starts and teams are not able to play?

Right now Marion, Lake, Elkhart, and St Joe Co seems to be the counties with the most cases?  How many teams are n those 4 counties?  If the number keep growing over the next 14 days things will not be looking good.

one indicator of if the reopening of schools and if the  in-person class structure will work will be revealed by schools that open up this week. I know Avon is scheduled to open Wednesday of this week (unless it has changed)......if it is in-person classes I think we will get a clear idea of how all this works....kind of the so called "canary in the coal mine"

21 minutes ago, cw13 said:

one indicator of if the reopening of schools and if the  in-person class structure will work will be revealed by schools that open up this week. I know Avon is scheduled to open Wednesday of this week (unless it has changed)......if it is in-person classes I think we will get a clear idea of how all this works....kind of the so called "canary in the coal mine"

Yep.  Hendricks County schools will be the state’s guinea pigs.  

13 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

Medical knowledge has changed...and we have lots more data now than we had back then.  We know the demographics of the highest risk.  And we are much closer to vaccine and treatment drugs.  (not 100% as stated)  We have professional leagues playing sports again and many more people back to work performing safely.  We have way more knowledge than we did back back in March.

We are currently seeing less hospitalizations and mortality.  We have states that are not hot.

When you say "still" no vaccine and treatment, you do understand making medicine that is effective and safe isn't easy.  If the new Pfizer vaccine is effective, it will be producing a vaccine at a record pace...by far.

Comparing professional leagues starting back up and playing to high school sports is simply ridiculous.  Look at the measures ALL of these professional leagues have gone to to be able to play again, yet we are all thinking that high schools and high school sports will just start back up in normal operation mode!  

2 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Not your best work.

But the phrase:

CDC has made it clear that kids need to be back in school. 

Has a purely educational connotation to it, does it not?    So that would entail that the CDC also must now employ educational professionals who have made the determination that "kids need to be back in school".  

If "kids need to be back in school" is not primarily for educational reasons that what is it?  Is the CDC saying that physical public/private/parochial school environments are now somehow safer places for kids to be in regards to COVID-19 infection?  Safer than their actual homes?

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

But the phrase:

Has a purely educational connotation to it, does it not?    So that would entail that the CDC also must now employ educational professionals who have made the determination that "kids need to be back in school".  

If "kids need to be back in school" is not primarily for educational reasons that what is it?  Is the CDC saying that physical public/private/parochial school environments are now somehow safer places for kids to be in regards to COVID-19 infection?  Safer than their actual homes?

I think they are saying the risk is small in terms of "a place to be" from a public health standpoint, they also consider the mental health benefits of kids being in school.  I think everything they say is clearly from a public health frame of reference and I think folks take it that way.  I don't think the CDC needs to employ factory workers in order to make a judgement on what safety protocols and risk tolerance is acceptable from a health perspective to open a factory.  They might even have less of a hidden agenda than even say....a teachers union perhaps?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I think they are saying the risk is small in terms of "a place to be" from a public health standpoint, they also consider the mental health benefits of kids being in school.  I think everything they say is clearly from a public health frame of reference and I think folks take it that way.  I don't think the CDC needs to employ factory workers in order to make a judgement on what safety protocols and risk tolerance is acceptable from a health perspective to open a factory.  They might even have less of a hidden agenda than even say....a teachers union perhaps?

Yet I got how many signed form letters from parents WARNING me that some SEL (like I had time to be trained in anything in depth) and religious and sexual topics better not come up in my room or else I could be sued!?!?!?!   Now I'm supposed to be a part of a mental health benefit.  I see how that works....or maybe I don't.  

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Yet I got how many signed form letters from parents WARNING me that some SEL (like I had time to be trained in anything in depth) and religious and sexual topics better not come up in my room or else I could be sued!?!?!?!   Now I'm supposed to be a part of a mental health benefit.  I see how that works....or maybe I don't.  

I find this very interesting. I assume SEL is “Social-Emotional Learning.” In the teacher world, what is that “code” for?

29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I find this very interesting. I assume SEL is “Social-Emotional Learning.” In the teacher world, what is that “code” for?

Not really “code” it just speaks to the fact that no real learning can happen in schools without children feeling safe and without addressing the experiences/trauma many of them experience outside of school and bring into the classroom every morning.

30 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Not really “code” it just speaks to the fact that no real learning can happen in schools without children feeling safe and without addressing the experiences/trauma many of them experience outside of school and bring into the classroom every morning.

I see. 🤭 The nuns at St. Joseph school in Avon Lake, Ohio didn’t teach that ... probably because they were a major reason for feeling unsafe and experiencing trauma. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I see. 🤭 The nuns at St. Joseph school in Avon Lake, Ohio didn’t teach that ... probably because they were a major reason for feeling unsafe and experiencing trauma. 

Warning: NSFW

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What is the over/under on the number of school buildings during the 2020-21 school year that start out with in-classroom learning, then have to go back to e-"learning" for X number of weeks due to a COVID-19 case(s) in the particular building?

I say it happens at at least five school buildings throughout the state within the first 30 days of that building being open for school.

Edited by Muda69