Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Decatur Central vs New Palestine has been canceled

39 minutes ago, PhilLee said:

Incredibly stupid.  But then again much of this is complete idiocy to begin with. 

If both people are "masked up", then what's the issue?  If that's so damn important to "keep everyone safe" and people are doing what they've been told and its still not enough, then what are we doing?? Or are masks just a complete waste of time, which most of us already know to begin with.   

These state and county health departments are run by morons to begin with. 

Because it's like a condom. It helps to greatly reduce the likelihood of contraction, but it will never completely prevent it. That's why I've said you have to go into this (students in school and athletes participating) knowing there will be some spread. If you are going to shut down if there is any spread then don't bother starting because that's not realistic even with everyone doing what they can. Masks and distancing and avoiding large groups for long periods of time seem to be the most common and consistent things to do to greatly reduce your risk. But they don't 100% prevent it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Because it's like a condom. It helps to greatly reduce the likelihood of contraction, but it will never completely prevent it. That's why I've said you have to go into this (students in school and athletes participating) knowing there will be some spread. If you are going to shut down if there is any spread then don't bother starting because that's not realistic even with everyone doing what they can. Masks and distancing and avoiding large groups for long periods of time seem to be the most common and consistent things to do to greatly reduce your risk. But they don't 100% prevent it.

Spot on in your discussion point

46 minutes ago, Titan20 said:

25 of 26 states with Republican governors are playing football this fall.  Maryland being the exception.

Only 7 of 22 states with Democratic governors are playing.

Heard this on Clay Travis this morning.

E4A2E7B4-82CB-4688-8D02-FE31BF437841.jpeg

This map was used in a previous thread. According to this 14 States are carrying on as normal. 20 are having modified seasons. 16 are not having a football season. Is there a grey area for playing but modified. Some of these states have pushed back football for a month or more but have not actually began. I don't doubt what you heard on Clay Travis, I'm just not certain he is accurate.

Edited by JQWL

Griffith just canceled their games in week 1 and week 2.  This creates an open date for Valpo in week 2.  How about a week 2 match up between CG and Valpo?  This would be an awesome game. Pick a neutral site somewhere between the two and play. If not, one team travels to other, prefer CG coming into the Region.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

Griffith just canceled their games in week 1 and week 2.  This creates an open date for Valpo in week 2.  How about a week 2 match up between CG and Valpo?  This would be an awesome game. Pick a neutral site somewhere between the two and play. If not, one team travels to other, prefer CG coming into the Region.

I played college with valpo coach I’ll hit him up make this happen jk but yeah that would be an epic matchup 

4 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

Play it at Ross Ade on Saturday afternoon, halfway between the two, bigger stadium to allow more fans. Purdue can generate some income since the stadium will be empty until Spring!!

The optics of having games in college stadiums while the college team couldn’t play wouldn’t look good and could cause riots I mean peaceful protests 

20 hours ago, RegionFBFan said:

Play it at Ross Ade on Saturday afternoon, halfway between the two, bigger stadium to allow more fans. Purdue can generate some income since the stadium will be empty until Spring!!

If I can purchase a cold one while there I may consider attending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaptainHook said:

Hancock County Health Department is making it very difficult to play football here.  Greenfield-Central down 14 days.

Yes with those idiotic protocols in place (even if you test negative, people who aren't sick and likely never will be still have to sit out 14 days), hard to see how much is going to get accomplished in the county this year in any sport. 

And just for reference, Hancock County is averaging 7 new cases per day.  And has been under 10 per day since late July.  % positive rate is low in the 5-6% range and been there for months.   In the last 30 days, a grand total of 17 people, in the entire county, have been admitted to the hospital.  5 total deaths in the entire county since July 1st.

Complete lunacy. 

5 hours ago, PhilLee said:

Yes with those idiotic protocols in place (even if you test negative, people who aren't sick and likely never will be still have to sit out 14 days), hard to see how much is going to get accomplished in the county this year in any sport. 

And just for reference, Hancock County is averaging 7 new cases per day.  And has been under 10 per day since late July.  % positive rate is low in the 5-6% range and been there for months.   In the last 30 days, a grand total of 17 people, in the entire county, have been admitted to the hospital.  5 total deaths in the entire county since July 1st.

Complete lunacy. 

Sounds like the authorities in Hancock County want to keep it that way. How many times on the GID have we heard, with reference to the tournament format, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?” Well, if the protocols are working to keep the infection rate low, don’t change anything.

And there must have been a testing breakthrough I haven’t heard of: how do you identify people who aren't sick and likely never will be?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrojanDad said:

yet businesses in the same county will continue to sending people back to work as incidence rates drop....and the majority of folks continued to work all along.

Send the kids home, but if mommy and daddy need new tires, the tire store better be open!!  I think you are giving the county way too much credit for inconsistent practices...at best.

I bet Honda has a healthy sized work force on site at their Greenfield facility as I type this....

Honda facility is in Greensburg.  And car sales are quite slow right now so the facility probably isn't at full capacity.

This virus is unhandy for us all.  We need to do what the medical experts think needs to be done and keep everyone as healthy as possible.

Edited by PHJIrish

11 hours ago, PhilLee said:

Complete lunacy. 

I would guess most coaches would rather their teams are playing their best in October and not August. It takes a bit for individuals to change their behaviors and adapt to the current situation. Which makes the Honda plant comparison somewhat a moot point. The workers have had several months in the current environment, while the schools are still adjusting.  This why I thought summer workouts should have started mid- June instead of post July 4, but that is past history now.   

We know so much more about this virus than we did 6 months ago.  Hancock County has 70,000 residents, which means 7 cases per day ~ 10 per 100k.  That's an acceptable number based on the most recent rules of thumb.  So I'm sure Hancock County, and all counties for that matter, want to keep or improve (decreased cases) that level of community activity.   Fourteen day quarantine is excessive and overly cautious, but it's far from idiotic.  Data is showing the virus is much? less lethal than we thought in March, but it can still be lethal.  When it's a blanket quarantine policy though, they are erring on the side of caution. 

3 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Honda facility is in Greensburg.  And car sales are quite slow right now so the facility probably isn't at full capacity.

This virus is unhandy for us all.  We need to do what the medical experts think needs to be done and keep everyone as healthy as possible.

Toyota in Princeton is hiring to the staff of over 7,000.  Apparently Toyotas are flying off the shelves.

10 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Toyota in Princeton is hiring to the staff of over 7,000.  Apparently Toyotas are flying off the shelves.

I hear pretty much the same about Subaru in Lafayette.  They have been up and running full bore since late May after being closed down for almost a month.

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

I would guess most coaches would rather their teams are playing their best in October and not August. It takes a bit for individuals to change their behaviors and adapt to the current situation. Which makes the Honda plant comparison somewhat a moot point. The workers have had several months in the current environment, while the schools are still adjusting.  This why I thought summer workouts should have started mid- June instead of post July 4, but that is past history now.   

We know so much more about this virus than we did 6 months ago.  Hancock County has 70,000 residents, which means 7 cases per day ~ 10 per 100k.  That's an acceptable number based on the most recent rules of thumb.  So I'm sure Hancock County, and all counties for that matter, want to keep or improve (decreased cases) that level of community activity.   Fourteen day quarantine is excessive and overly cautious, but it's far from idiotic.  Data is showing the virus is much? less lethal than we thought in March, but it can still be lethal.  When it's a blanket quarantine policy though, they are erring on the side of caution. 

Sorry, I think it’s idiotic.

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I hear pretty much the same about Subaru in Lafayette.  They have been up and running full bore since late May after being closed down for almost a month.

We have been doing some car shopping this summer and every dealership we've been in has been busy.

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Well, Hondas aren't flying anywhere.  I was laid off in June from my 5 year part time job at a local Honda dealer.  Business hasn't picked up there yet.

I'm happy that Toyota and Subaru are doing good.

3 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

you are so right...brain fade...driven by it 1000 times.

Car sales aren't as slow as you think.  Was just talking with a GM salesman.  One of the reasons for example that truck inventories were low previously wasn't due necessarily to lower workforces...it was due to plants being turned over to make ventilators, etc.  He told me now that the lots are filling up again with truck inventories.

Medical experts aren't always aligned on what should be done.  CDC and other pedicatric physicians groups have recommended a return to school.  And the risk of this virus isn't the same for all demographics of people.  And actions taken by a variety of countries have differed in the manner to combat and live with the virus.  Sweden for example has a very different model than let's say Spain or Italy.  When it comes to sports, we know various OUS countries are indeed back after it....with fans in the stands.  Not saying we should do the same...but to insinutate that medical experts globally are all aligned would be inaccurate.

I understand the different approaches by other countries.  I wish our Country was a little more stable in its approach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

I understand the different approaches by other countries.  I wish our Country was a little more stable in its approach.

I’m still a little shocked at the chain of events: the Pandemic hits and the world basically ends.  We social distance/wear masks/make human sacrifices in addition to canceling all sporting events and shut down our productive economy.  Things gradually improve and the rules are abated and we get to where are now.

What’s next?