Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IHSAA Champions Network and CG Football both charging for streaming

Guest DT

9 minutes ago, DT said:

Im sure this will have a huge impact on actual viewership.  Not sure people are quite ready to pay to watch high school football on line.

Really? I mean I pay $10 for a family of 4 to watch. Im saving money. Not counting the fact im not buying food or anything at the game or gas to drive there. Dont know why you wouldn't do it if you were willing to go to the game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WWFan said:

Really? I mean I pay $10 for a family of 4 to watch. Im saving money. Not counting the fact im not buying food or anything at the game or gas to drive there. Dont know why you wouldn't do it if you were willing to go to the game.

I still may

Still getting over the shock factor.  

Im surprised both  (IHSAA and CG Football) were able to keep this below the radar for so long

6 hours ago, WWFan said:

I see both sides of the coin. Schools are losing gate revenue so they are doing the PPV. For someone like you who has a family of 4 and pays $20 at the gate but $10 online you are saving money. For others that are a lone person who would be attending a game they would be losing money $10 vs $5. I get it though and don't complain. 

What I found to be a bigger issue was the news release I saw on Twitter from Mooresville. After their game against Danville was cancelled and they picked up Leo changing from a home game to an away. It stated that only one parent per player was allowed to attend the game. That was a little surprising. I figured they would give it for 2 parents. Thankfully for the Mooresville fans it says they made a deal with Leo to be able to stream the game with their broadcast team and it was on IHSAATV for free. I just can't imagine being the parents of a Senior and only 1 of you can go.

8 hours ago, WWFan said:

People (like me) watch games who wouldnt or cant go to them.    I watch games from places outside my area.   Games I would not attend.  I dont have the money I had before 2020 so obviously, I cant pay for them.. 

I appreciate school athletic departments needing money and broadcasts cant be done for free.

But when you limit the number of people who can watch (which pay per view does) , you are also hurting the clients you do sell advertising too and limiting the exposure your athletes get.

A solution?: Broadcast for free and make the broadcast a telethon for the media outlet and the host school's athletic department.    People who are able probably would donate..

You would get max viewers and still rake in needed cash.

10 hours ago, Staxawax said:

I think you mean below YOUR radar.

Yes.  Most, if not all of us dont have the deep inside access that you claim to have Stax.  We acquiesce to your wisdom and knowledge and inside contacts on this subject, and many others

You are likely the most well informed and connected member of this forum.

1 hour ago, Alduflux said:

Paying ten bucks is a lot cheaper then getting covid.

Are we not talking about a very small number of schools whose games are available via live streaming?

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

People (like me) watch games who wouldnt or cant go to them.    I watch games from places outside my area.   Games I would not attend.  I dont have the money I had before 2020 so obviously, I cant pay for them.. 

I appreciate school athletic departments needing money and broadcasts cant be done for free.

But when you limit the number of people who can watch (which pay per view does) , you are also hurting the clients you do sell advertising too and limiting the exposure your athletes get.

A solution?: Broadcast for free and make the broadcast a telethon for the media outlet and the host school's athletic department.    People who are able probably would donate..

Kind of like several artist who post their music for "free" or, more specifically, state "pay us what you think it's worth."  Would also be smart to have the merch available online as well at that point.  Between probably donations/payments could probably also move some additional merch that way.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Kind of like several artist who post their music for "free" or, more specifically, state "pay us what you think it's worth."  Would also be smart to have the merch available online as well at that point.  Between probably donations/payments could probably also move some additional merch that way.

Exactly right, Fox.   Its not my idea.

Public television has done it for years. 'Support us and our home school in the Covid era and for $75 or more you get a special designed school t-shirt, sweater or hat'  'For $100, you get a game ball'. 'But $5 or 10 or $20 is very welcome and needed' and school swag is available at regular price.

Even a school T-shirt that says, "We survived 2020!!!".   (I'm surprised no one has done that already) 

2 hours ago, DT said:

Yes.  Most, if not all of us dont have the deep inside access that you claim to have Stax.  We acquiesce to your wisdom and knowledge and inside contacts on this subject, and many others

You are likely the most well informed and connected member of this forum.

Yes, and everyone knows I am the master.  Seriously, it is you who is the all knowing wise *ss of the forum.  I simply meant that CG and the IHSAA were hiding nothing. You were just late to the party.

I have streamed both of games using the IHSAA channel on Roku.  The first game between Plymouth and East Noble was $10.  The camera work wasn't very good and the announcers were local radio people who couldn't pronounce a name correctly.  I could handle them being homers because local radio should be but for $10 a consumer should get better camera work.  This week I found a "FREE" stream of the Plymouth vs. Kokomo game and it was excellent.  It was sponsored by FastPlaySports.  The video was like watching a decent game film but they included replays and best of all the announcers were teachers at Kokomo I think.  They were talking about the Kokomo players in the classroom and saying things that teachers would say about kids.  Even though we lost I enjoyed the viewing experience.

So the streaming is a great way to view a game when you can't be there live but if someone is to charge for the service they should have to have a certain quality of video and an announcing team that is entertaining but not annoying.  

But go to the IHSAA channel and you can watch a lot of different games throughout the state.  Some are free.  

55 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

It's hard to bet a good burrito and coke for $10.00...pay up whinney babies...the schools need the cash this season at 50% or less attendance.

Who the hell were those announcers for the Whiteland vs GS game? My god that guy from 89.1 The Bash was atrocious! I understand they were local southern folk, but put a student on the mic and it would have been a better broadcast. Thank god that was free 

Just now, Olympian06 said:

Who the hell were those announcers for the Whiteland vs GS game? My god that guy from 89.1 The Bash was atrocious! I understand they were local southern folk, but put a student on the mic and it would have been a better broadcast. Thank god that was free 

Bob and Jason?  Those guys rock!!  Not sure who we will have next week but there will be a fee going forward.

16 hours ago, Titan32 said:

It's hard to bet a good burrito and coke for $10.00...pay up whinney babies...the schools need the cash this season at 50% or less attendance.

Taqueria El Maguey has some excellent authentic Taco's (Asada and Chrizo) for $2 bucks each and very filling. lol

Btw 'm not complaining just said I see both sides of the coin and fully understand why they are doing it. Hopefully as the season goes along restrictions will lessen.

Edited by FastpacedO

On 8/29/2020 at 9:16 AM, DT said:

Are we not talking about a very small number of schools whose games are available via live streaming?

https://www.iscsportsnetwork.com/products

I watched the Frankfort - Clinton Prairie matchup this past Friday via the ISC Sport Network.  My rating of the broadcast is middling.   Primary reasons being:

1.  The two announcers calling the game were not actually at the game, but in some room somewhere.  So they were basically just seemed to be watching the same camera feed as we all were.  And for some reason this camera feed was zoomed in relatively close to field and never varied much.   It would have been nice to see say the scoreboard every once in a while, or maybe a crowd shot or two.

2.  About midway through the 3rd quarter the camera feed dropped completely for about 5 minutes.

3.  The on screen graphics with the game info was very basic.  It displayed the score along with what quarter it was but that was it.  Every once in a while the announcers would say how much time was on the clock, I assume they got this from the on-site cameraman.

4.  During commercial breaks they played the same 3-4 ads over and over and over and over and over again.  

On 8/29/2020 at 7:46 AM, oldunclemark said:

Agree completely! It's one reason I've never understood why newspapers put up pay walls. I would think The Northwest Indiana Times and Indy Star could drastically increase ad revenue by not restricting the amount of traffic their sites get. This reminds me of watching Indiana and Purdue basketball games on WYIN Channel 56 when I was a kid in Portage. If I recall correctly, Joe Arredondo was always leading the Saturday afternoon pledge drives during commercials. 

If you are who I think you are, the show you did with Mark on Thursday nights was a pleasure to watch when I was in Middle School and High School. I graduated from Portage in '97.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Agree completely! It's one reason I've never understood why newspapers put up pay walls. I would think The Northwest Indiana Times and Indy Star could drastically increase ad revenue by not restricting the amount of traffic their sites get. This reminds me of watching Indiana and Purdue basketball games on WYIN Channel 56 when I was a kid in Portage. If I recall correctly, Joe Arredondo was always leading the Saturday afternoon pledge drives during commercials. 

If you are who I think you are, the show you did with Mark on Thursday nights was a pleasure to watch when I was in Middle School and High School. I graduated from Portage in '97.

I ran hard up against the Indy Star and NWI Times paywalls this week.  They used to offer some occassional freebies but looks like those days are gone.

I found something to read on the Post Tribune of Merrillville, which is now owned by the Chicago Tribune.  

And somebody posted the Catherdaral-Penn story from the SB Tribune.  Does the SBT have a hard paywall now too?

It is unfortunate the number of fans permitted to attend games is limited. The "experts" claim those cheap non medical grade masks from China are supposed to save everyone from a virus which is more deadly than the Bubonic Plague.

• Disdain 1

27 minutes ago, Howe said:

It is unfortunate the number of fans permitted to attend games is limited. The "experts" claim those cheap non medical grade masks from China are supposed to save everyone from a virus which is more deadly than the Bubonic Plague.

Take it to the OOB.

• Like 1