Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

North -South All Star Game

57 minutes ago, temptation said:

What’s a 15 yard unsportsmanlike to a kid in an exhibition all-star game though?

Honestly.

Exactly. That’s why it falls on the coaches to control the players in the only way that’ll make them settle down — playing time. They act like jackasses, sit ‘em down for a series and see if that works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The North South All Star game since it inception is a representative game to highlight our state players and coaches from all classes and corners of the state. 

D1 or not, that has always been the case, for some fans with D1 not participating the last 10 years ish, it has lost its luster for them, but for communities and coaches it really means alot, so I prefer to focus on that and believe that last nights actions by a few isn't going to tarnish the concept and event in the future

• Like 6

Wow, 

This thing has taken off into a full-blown blog of ridiculousness! 

We have posters saying they are coaches, but in reality are officials, acting "scott-free" with what they would or would not have done.  

Guys, not aware of the nature of ANY "All-Star game" and the looser nature of allowing participants to 'enjoy' themselves during the situation.  I've never seen an All-Star contest officiated or conducted as a regular season game in ANY sport.  

Question:  Who's the governing body that could or would hand out sanctions to a player or coach in this situation?  Oh, right NONE!

Has anyone ever considered that those who tended to make fools of themselves, just cost themselves the very opportunity to play at the next level by their actions last evening?  I'm pretty sure that there was a myriad of scouts/coaches there from various institutions that took notes on the behaviors as well as the in-game abilities of some. 

Then made a simple determination....It ain't worth the trouble.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

Wow, 

This thing has taken off into a full-blown blog of ridiculousness! 

We have posters saying they are coaches, but in reality are officials, acting "scott-free" with what they would or would not have done.  

Guys, not aware of the nature of ANY "All-Star game" and the looser nature of allowing participants to 'enjoy' themselves during the situation.  I've never seen an All-Star contest officiated or conducted as a regular season game in ANY sport.  

Question:  Who's the governing body that could or would hand out sanctions to a player or coach in this situation?  Oh, right NONE!

Has anyone ever considered that those who tended to make fools of themselves, just cost themselves the very opportunity to play at the next level by their actions last evening?  I'm pretty sure that there was a myriad of scouts/coaches there from various institutions that took notes on the behaviors as well as the in-game abilities of some. 

Then made a simple determination....It ain't worth the trouble.  

“Retired coaches turned officials”…let’s be factually accurate.

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1

I just watched the last couple of minutes of the video. Looks like the official acted wisely.

It's hard to officiate an all-star game held in July for graduated seniors. There's really nothing the schools can do from a discipline perspective. 

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I just watched the last couple of minutes of the video. Looks like the official acted wisely.

It's hard to officiate an all-star game held in July for graduated seniors. There's really nothing the schools can do from a discipline perspective. 

But this misses the mark…

Should they HAVE to?  I know they are simply mimicking what they see at the higher levels, and it is an exhibition/all star game.

However, there is such a thing as humility and getting excited when you make a play without rubbing your opponents nose in it.  

Its gone way too far at all levels.  Look guys, it’s an all-star game… everybody there is good and everyone else knows you are good. Just shut up, play the game and show them why you are there.

Other wise it just comes across as insecurity.

One of the many reasons I no longer coach.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BTF said:

Someone should take responsibility for this. I imagine that's on the coaches. 

I'm fairly certain that a number of the idiots, will arrive at the clear understanding that "they" are finished with organized sports under a certified/recognized organization.  

18 minutes ago, Grover said:

Which coaches?  Those who had four years to instill discipline in them or those who had three practices?

I would say the ones who had three practices with them. I mean damn, you've gotta start somewhere. Why not the leader of the team. Sorry if that hurts. 

26 minutes ago, BTF said:

I would say the ones who had three practices with them. I mean damn, you've gotta start somewhere. Why not the leader of the team. Sorry if that hurts. 

Why would it hurt?  I think your take is completely wrong but I don't take it personally.

1 minute ago, Grover said:

Why would it hurt?  I think your take is completely wrong but I don't take it personally.

Not necessarily implying that it hurts you. I just know there are many on here who don't want to hear that it's on the coaches......especially the coaches.  I just happen to think that's the best starting point, the leader of the team. Can't hardly pin it on the refs. 

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

Not necessarily implying that it hurts you. I just know there are many on here who don't want to hear that it's on the coaches......especially the coaches.  I just happen to think that's the best starting point, the leader of the team. Can't hardly pin it on the refs. 

The refs....SAVED the situation from devolving into a total fight.

Seriously?  Testosterone with Assistant Coaches and plyers nay have been an issue. 

2024 is now what's to be looked forward to

8 minutes ago, Yuccaguy said:

The refs....SAVED the situation from devolving into a total fight.

Seriously?  Testosterone with Assistant Coaches and plyers nay have been an issue. 

2024 is now what's to be looked forward to

I expect a punt, pass and kick competition in 2024 since we can’t have high expectations of student athletes and adults.

• Haha 1

It is truly unfortunate to hear the unnecessary ending to the North-South All-Star Football Classic.

For the player, this is a great honor to represent youself, the high school team you played on, your family, and your school.

Everyone involved should be held to a higher standard.  If you want to play in this event, then you follow the rules, listen to the coaches, play hard and clean, and with great sportsmanship.  If you want to display unnecessary roughness, cheap shot and other unsporting behavior, then you just don't play.

After this year, the organization leadership should address everyone moving forward about what the expectation will be during the game.

I do believe that the Coaches and Game Officials are ultimately in control of the game once it is started. This group along with the event administration make the ultimate decision.

I also believe that each coaching staff makes the decision as to who plays and who does not - All-Star game or not.

Yes, coaches want players to play.  Make a rotation, 1s and 2s, whatever.

With that said, the expectataion is made clear.

The coaches and officials are the adults here. 

Someone step up, be a leader and stop the non-sense.

Football is football. Physical, hard-hitting, good competition.

If a player(s) don't want to act like an athlete, then they get removed. Plain and simple!

Everyone knows how the game is meant to be played.

I hope this is a lesson that is learned by everyone involved.

In all honesty, this should have never happened.

Best to everyone!

As always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

@Bobref am I correct in assuming that this September, if a player spins the ball in the end zone and encourages his teammates to celebrate with him that it will be flagged? (42:40 mark of video) 

I sure hope not. High school football needs more of that.

I personally think we should get rid of flags all together.

• Haha 1
  • Sit and spin 1

"Exposure" 7 on 7 culture.  If you have been to any of these events, this over-the-top celebration is encouraged and even videoed for social media.  After all, the name of the game is "exposure" at all costs.  Do whatever it takes to get views.  The adults the kids pay to play on these 7 on 7 teams create an environment conducive to this type of behavior and they are unapologetic for it, I mean we want the kids to have "fun" right??

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

"Exposure" 7 on 7 culture.  If you have been to any of these events, this over-the-top celebration is encouraged and even videoed for social media.  After all, the name of the game is "exposure" at all costs.  Do whatever it takes to get views.  The adults the kids pay to play on these 7 on 7 teams create an environment conducive to this type of behavior and they are unapologetic for it, I mean we want the kids to have "fun" right??

Unfortunately, more and more kids may be drawn to the idea that, they may never see a college field, but there's still options for exposure in other areas.  While there's certainly the "next step" for talented players in college, realistically that number is limited.  On the other hand, other outlets for "noticed" people, who have some talent but not enough for post high school, are growing ... and not in a good way.  Need look no further than the "Cash me outside, how bow dah" girl who ended up with millions for being a brat.  The image of being the "bad boy" or "the assassin" or "the thug" seems to have niche appeal in social media even if athletics can't be taken to that next level.

10 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Unfortunately, more and more kids may be drawn to the idea that, they may never see a college field, but there's still options for exposure in other areas.  While there's certainly the "next step" for talented players in college, realistically that number is limited.  On the other hand, other outlets for "noticed" people, who have some talent but not enough for post high school, are growing ... and not in a good way.  Need look no further than the "Cash me outside, how bow dah" girl who ended up with millions for being a brat.  The image of being the "bad boy" or "the assassin" or "the thug" seems to have niche appeal in social media even if athletics can't be taken to that next level.

(I’ve been told “thug” is unacceptable.)

I have been to several different region Meetings where we pick who makes up the Region team, the step before they are picked for the all star game.  It always amazed me when I hear the coaches say how great character there kids have, and what a great representative of there community would be if they were on the team.  I have also heard several coaches say that "this is the type of kid I would let date my daughter."  I wonder if these kids fell under that criteria?