Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Temperature for Week 2 Games

57 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

But the residents of Floyd County Indiana probably do because a good portion of them have some kind of economic or social interests (job, services, school, material goods,  etc.) with the Louisville area.  Same for the residents of Dearborn county and Cincinnati. 

So much like I’ve told many UK fans, move to the other side of the river, I don’t care. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

So much like I’ve told many UK fans, move to the other side of the river, I don’t care. 

undoubtedly... 

Also to others... for sure should be central time... think about it...

SNF- 715 start

MNF- 730 start

Tues/Wed/Thurs CBB games-- 6pm+8pm starts. 

It would be glorious. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

1) The time is the time. I don't have the time to complain about time zones. That's something above my pay grade.

2) I'd really be shocked if most games aren't pushed back an hour or so if it's going to continue to be extremely hot on Friday.

The time doesn't have to be the time, though. 

You took just as much time telling us you didn't want to take the time to complain about time zones, as it does to complain about them. 😅

Edited by btownqbcoach1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

The time doesn't have to be the time, though. 

You took just as much time telling us you didn't want to take the time to complain about time zones, as it does to complain about them. 😅

We could all sit here and whine about what time zone we should be in, and it won't do a diddly darn thing. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

In the late 1950's and early 1960's, when I went to school, our games started at 8PM, but you had to be at CYO Field by 6PM to get a seat at most games.  I realize that's back in the dark ages, but we were on Central Time, here in Indianapolis, at that time also.  It was a lot more civilized, imho.

I was at Cathedral mid to late 60's.  Yea, if you wanted a seat at CYO, you'd better get there early. I do remember the 8 pm start times. I'm not sure when or why they decided to start at 7 pm. Of course, real grass, not the hotter field turf back in "ancient times" :)

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

1) The time is the time. I don't have the time to complain about time zones. That's something above my pay grade.

2) I'd really be shocked if most games aren't pushed back an hour or so if it's going to continue to be extremely hot on Friday.

Central Indiana is forecasting 88 degrees for a high on Friday, so not much lower than that at 7 pm. Forecasting 82 for a high on Saturday but chance of storms in the morning. 

20 minutes ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Central Indiana is forecasting 88 degrees for a high on Friday, so not much lower than that at 7 pm. Forecasting 82 for a high on Saturday but chance of storms in the morning. 

We are under an excessive heat warning until Friday at 10pm. I bet the games all get moved to Saturday...

1 hour ago, AW0352 said:

I did a quick check on temps.  

3:30 PM on Tuesday. 
Mishawaka is 84 degrees and feels like 85

evansville is 95 degrees and feels like 108.   The heat index difference is insane.  

I think we will be looking at Saturday games soon, it’s going to be miserable Friday night in the area 

Edited by TigerFan20

5 hours ago, WestfieldRocks said:

I was at Cathedral mid to late 60's.  Yea, if you wanted a seat at CYO, you'd better get there early. I do remember the 8 pm start times. I'm not sure when or why they decided to start at 7 pm. Of course, real grass, not the hotter field turf back in "ancient times" 🙂

CYO Field was grass at the beginning of the season, but not much was left at the end of the season.  With Cathedral, Scecina and Sacred Heart all playing home games on that field, and Cadet football on Sundays, it got used up pretty badly.  Varsity games were played on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays in those days.

Field Turf is not as hot as the original Astro-Turf and some of the artificial "grass" that was on fields in the early days.  Field Turf is quite "grasslike" nowadays in fact.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tango said:

We are under an excessive heat warning until Friday at 10pm. I bet the games all get moved to Saturday...

I was wrong. Friday at 8 pm. Special night for tailgating. There better be some filets and lobster....

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

CYO Field was grass at the beginning of the season, but not much was left at the end of the season.  With Cathedral, Scecina and Sacred Heart all playing home games on that field, and Cadet football on Sundays, it got used up pretty badly.  Varsity games were played on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays in those days.

Field Turf is not as hot as the original Astro-Turf and some of the artificial "grass" that was on fields in the early days.  Field Turf is quite "grasslike" nowadays in fact.

A prize for who can spot @PHJIrish (only kidding).

image.png.19e5b0d8d6f4377d42928051951d7d18.png

• Like 1

I think moving kickoff time back 60 minutes is the best option.  I can tell you it's brutal on the field and in the stands that last couple hours of daylight in the earlier parts of the season down here in TX -- and we're used to these temps!  Been 103-110 (with heat index 110-120) most of the summer.  It's got to be even more difficult playing/spectating in temps like those if you're NOT used to it.

Regarding time zone, I have always thought Indiana is too far west to BOTH be in eastern time and have daylight savings, or even to be in eastern w/o DST.  Indiana should be on central.  DST is a discussion for another thread probably.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

A prize for who can spot @PHJIrish (only kidding).

image.png.19e5b0d8d6f4377d42928051951d7d18.png

I still remember those days whenever I drive by whatever CYO Field is called today.  That game in that picture must have been an out of town school, or a non Cathedral game.  That must be a CYO jamboree picture on second thought.

I also played CYO ball my 8th grade year on that field.  It was hard!  I caught a pass for about a 3 yard gain that day.

Edited by PHJIrish

10 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I still remember those days whenever I drive by whatever CYO Field is called today.  That game in that picture must have been an out of town school, or a non Cathedral game.  That must be a CYO jamboree picture on second thought.

I also played CYO ball my 8th grade year on that field.  It was hard!  I caught a pass for about a 3 yard gain that day.

It was a CYO jamboree photo. It is called Kuntz Memorial Stadium now and hosts soccer. My father always tells me the grass there is a little greener, but its current state will never surpass his memories of the old CYO Field.

2 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

It was a CYO jamboree photo. It is called Kuntz Memorial Stadium now and hosts soccer. My father always tells me the grass there is a little greener, but its current state will never surpass his memories of the old CYO Field.

I thought some of the landmarks in that picture looked familiar.  And the distinctive top of the old Kokomo gas tower gives it away.  

BTW the gas tower, a Kokomo landmark for decades, was imploded in 2003:  

Edited by Muda69

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I thought some of the landmarks in that picture looked familiar.  And the distinctive top of the old Kokomo gas tower gives it away.  

BTW the gas tower, a Kokomo landmark for decades, was imploded in 2003:  

did indy have a similar gas tower as Kokomos ?  The tower in background does look similar but the nred and white rectangles on top of Kokomos look bigger and less of them !

14 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

did indy have a similar gas tower as Kokomos ?  The tower in background does look similar but the nred and white rectangles on top of Kokomos look bigger and less of them !

The photo came directly from CYO Indianapolis website for CYO Jamboree. It definitely wasn't from Kokomo.

http://cyoarchindy.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/75th-Anniversary.pdf

Edited by FastpacedO