Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral at Roncalli

55 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Really?

So why was Roncalli the only school to drop Cathedral? And for football only no less? Cathedral still plays Chatard every year and has played Brebeuf several times since the agreement was drawn up. Ritter and Scecina aren't feasible football opponents for Cathedral so they don't really factor into the equation. This was absolutely an athletically motivated decision and anybody who believes otherwise is lying to themselves. If there were truly major philosophical differences between Cathedral and Roncalli they'd have discontinued any and all events. Roncalli was tired of getting their teeth kicked in by a rival and took the easy way out. Roncalli wanted to dictate Cathedral's demographics to level the playing field and Cathedral laughed at them. 

Cowards.

So they were cowards and now they’re not, what has changed? 

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

So they were cowards and now they’re not, what has changed? 

They'll always be cowards for discontinuing what was once one of the better rivalries in the state.

Reasons as to why they're now scheduling Cathedral again in football?

Regime change?

Increased level of on-field talent the last couple of seasons?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

It's so good to see the old blood boiling again!  I'm going to get down there early tomorrow night to beat the crowd.  Tickets are bought.

I don’t have a dog in the fight and my blood is far from boiling. Just calling out bullshit when I see it. A nicked up Roncalli group will take their ass whoopin like men, and the old Cathedralites can feel even better about themselves Saturday morning scrolling thru the box score. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Actually Cathedral was one of the original "Deanery" schools from 1918-1964 when the diocese turned over control to the Brothers of Holy Cross making them independent due to opening Scecina, Bishop Chartrand (Now merged with Sacred Heart/Kennedy to form Roncalli), Bishop Chatard, and Cardinal Ritter . After the Brothers closed the doors in 1972 alumni saved the school moved it and made it a Private Catholic school. 

Were any other Indy Catholic schools staffed by Brothers of Holy Cross? We too were a BHC school (in collaboration with the Sisters of Providence) and had brothers from 1925 until 2009 (when the last one passed away). 

43 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Just calling out bullshit

Bullshit lol.

Was this a Roncalli administrative decision? No Roncalli continued to play Cathedral in every other sport, freshman and JV football included.

Was this a diocesan decision? Nope. Cathedral has played every diocesan school in some facet, Roncalli included, since the agreement was drawn up.

I get optics and line reading aren't your thing. Oh well.

46 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

A nicked up Roncalli group will take their ass whoopin like men, and the old Cathedralites can feel even better about themselves Saturday morning scrolling thru the box score. 

Hope the series continues. There's several years to be made up. 

54 minutes ago, tango said:

Were any other Indy Catholic schools staffed by Brothers of Holy Cross? We too were a BHC school (in collaboration with the Sisters of Providence) and had brothers from 1925 until 2009 (when the last one passed away). 

I’m not aware of any.  Cathedral actually re-affiliated with the Brothers of the Holy Cross about 8 - 10 years ago, although there were no Brother Eugene’s roaming the halls, and the Brothers had no input on curriculum.  So it seemed to be more of a marketing play to make sure everyone knew they were still Catholic when they were out speaking to the prospective students and parents of the deanery schools

• Haha 1

We had some recent discussions with the BHC about re-affiliating too. Not sure it will go anywhere. I think they wanted a pretty good chunk of change. 

BTW, I have Brother's bike and ride it almost every night  - blue Schwinn Racer made in Chicago... 

You still have kids at BCHS? 

3 minutes ago, tango said:

We had some recent discussions with the BHC about re-affiliating too. Not sure it will go anywhere. I think they wanted a pretty good chunk of change. 

BTW, I have Brother's bike and ride it almost every night  - blue Schwinn Racer made in Chicago... 

You still have kids at BCHS? 

I love that.  Yep, last one is a senior.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I don’t have a dog in the fight and my blood is far from boiling. Just calling out bullshit when I see it. A nicked up Roncalli group will take their ass whoopin like men, and the old Cathedralites can feel even better about themselves Saturday morning scrolling thru the box score. 

Maybe I should have said the juices are flowing again, just like old times.

Also Cathedral grads, fans and followers always feel good about themselves every day of the week.  It doesn't take winning a game to get there.  Thanks for your contribution though.

5 hours ago, Cali23 said:

I’m not aware of any.  Cathedral actually re-affiliated with the Brothers of the Holy Cross about 8 - 10 years ago, although there were no Brother Eugene’s roaming the halls, and the Brothers had no input on curriculum.  So it seemed to be more of a marketing play to make sure everyone knew they were still Catholic when they were out speaking to the prospective students and parents of the deanery schools

Thanks for noticing!😉

14 hours ago, tango said:

No at the time up until 1953 there was Cathedral (all boys located downtown Indianapolis), Sacred Heart (later named Kennedy merged with Bishop Chartrand to form Roncalli), and Latin school. You had girls High School too Ladywood (ran by Sisters of Providence) which is where Cathedral sits today, Ladywood and Cathedral were combined to make Cathedral Co-Ed. Cathedral was Operated by Brothers of Holy Cross but full control (no longer financially supported by the Archdiocese happened in 1964 and the brothers closed the doors in 1973 due to financial reasons declining enrollment and shifting populations).

In 1953 Scecina Memorial was built, Bishop Chatard in 1961, Bishop Chartrand 1962, and Cardinal Ritter in 1964. These schools were built to ease the overcrowding at Cathedral and Sacred Heart. Parents and Alumni saved Cathedral by forming a non-profit organization to operate the school becoming a Private Catholic school. They have recently rekindled with the Brothers of Holy Cross.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 11:17 AM, Footballking16 said:

Really?

So why was Roncalli the only school to drop Cathedral? And for football only no less? Cathedral still plays Chatard every year and has played Brebeuf several times since the agreement was drawn up. Ritter and Scecina aren't feasible football opponents for Cathedral so they don't really factor into the equation. This was absolutely an athletically motivated decision and anybody who believes otherwise is lying to themselves. If there were truly major philosophical differences between Cathedral and Roncalli they'd have discontinued any and all events. Roncalli was tired of getting their teeth kicked in by a rival and took the easy way out. Roncalli wanted to dictate Cathedral's demographics to level the playing field and Cathedral laughed at them. 

Cowards.

Bitter dude...life is pretty good if that is what you decide to carry with you.  Regardless of Roncalli's motivation back in the day, this current group of players, coaches and probably admin had little to do with it.  Isn't it time to move on?  Perhaps a rebirth of the rivalry.  

Understand not forgetting, but isn't it time to forgive and move on?  New day!

7 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Bitter dude...life is pretty good if that is what you decide to carry with you.  Regardless of Roncalli's motivation back in the day, this current group of players, coaches and probably admin had little to do with it.  Isn't it time to move on?  Perhaps a rebirth of the rivalry.  

Understand not forgetting, but isn't it time to forgive and move on?  New day!

Ehh no harm in poking the bear to renew a little rivalry.

Surprised though to see so many defend Roncalli. Imagine IU dropping Purdue a few years back when their basketball team lost 9 in a row in the series. And only basketball, not in any of the other 17 sports they play Purdue in. IU wouldn't have heard the end of it. Roncalli shouldn't either.

Edited by Footballking16

26 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Ehh no harm in poking the bear to renew a little rivalry.

Surprised though to see so many defend Roncalli. Imagine IU dropping Purdue a few years back when their basketball team lost 9 in a row in the series. And only basketball, not in any of the other 17 sports they play Purdue in. IU wouldn't have heard the end of it. Roncalli shouldn't either.

Eh, not sure that analogy fits.

On 10/3/2023 at 9:45 AM, FastpacedO said:

There is a trophy for Cathedral vs Bishop Chatard (Northside K of C traveling trophy) and Cathedral vs Roncalli (K of C Victory Bell). I would think there is one for Bishop Chatard vs Roncalli too.

There's one for LCC and Guerin as well called the Bishop's Cannon for the two Catholic high schools in the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana.

On 10/2/2023 at 3:05 PM, Footballking16 said:

Hope Cathedral beats those cowar...errr Royals, 63-0.

People don't forget.

Waited until the end of the game to respond.  Congrats to the Irish.   Dominated every aspect of the game.   

Footballqueen16 - Cowards?  Really?   Roncalli dropped you for valid reasons.  All of them previously stated.   My former namesake "RebelDad" would say more, but I promised a Roncalli Administrator that I would "let it go".   So be it.   

Grandpa B - Former known as RebelDad - Joe Banich 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grandpa B said:

Waited until the end of the game to respond.  Congrats to the Irish.   Dominated every aspect of the game.   

Footballqueen16 - Cowards?  Really?   Roncalli dropped you for valid reasons.  All of them previously stated.   My former namesake "RebelDad" would say more, but I promised a Roncalli Administrator that I would "let it go".   So be it.   

You can say whatever you need to say to rationalize Roncalli’s decision. At the end of the day, it was Roncalli who picked up their ball and went home. Period. End of story.

I have little doubt that this renewed edition will be very short-lived. And we’ll all know why. 

Edited by Footballking16

4 hours ago, Grandpa B said:

I heard they dropped em cuz they were scared

On 10/5/2023 at 9:14 PM, tango said:

Happy to report that Cathedral has two new Holy Cross brothers teaching at the school this year (and both math teachers)! 

It is no coincidence that Roncalli's downfall has correlated with Center Grove's rise. Roncalli doesn't have unlimited access to the southside stable anymore. Hoping they can find their mojo soon. The rivalry is a rivalry when Roncalli is competitive. 

Congrats on retaining the bell, Irish! 

• Like 1