Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4A State Championship: Northwood vs East Central

8 hours ago, PantherPride said:

Taking a break from how awesome EC is, but I wanted to recognize coach Andrews and his staff for the job they have done this season.  I know that the Panthers were 1 of the favorites to reach LOS in August, but it’s been fun to see this team overcome mid season adversity and improve tremendously since September.  I realize that the Panthers have 2 of the top 5 college recruits in the state, but to get them to play as a team when 1 transferred in last winter and another was transferred out all spring and summer until a week or so before the season started. Nitro admitted in an interview he was playing for himself the first few weeks.  A team that was giving up chunk plays in the run game to Plymouth did a solid job of shutting down New Prairie and Leo’s running games. Admittedly it may not matter on Saturday but to pull this team together when they could’ve checked out after 2 straight losses given the preseason expectations coming off all that happened to the program off the field to end last season has been a tremendous job. 

Nothing against East Central, but I'm looking forward to watching the Northwood team celebrate their victory on Saturday. Good luck to the Panthers. 

16 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

What was it you said to @Lysander "Your true colors are starting to show". I hope for your sake you don't walk away totally disappointed.

Not sure you can compare anything I said to what he said yesterday. Shocking you'd even bring that up and make a comparison. But I don't know you from Adam, so why be surprised I guess. 

I have much respect for the East Central program. Is there anything wrong with me rooting for a team that no one is giving an iota of a chance of winning? The disrespect on this board is posters not giving these Northwood kids a chance. There's always a chance. Go Panthers. 

• Like 1

So I have not seen East Central play this year, but I went and found highlights that were available.  It appeared that EC runs the ball...a lot.  Is that because they are just beating teams and are killing clock, or are they a passing threat as well?  I ask because if you look at NW...they have had success packing the box to stop the run...ie Mishawaka / New Prairie / Leo and letting the DB's do their jobs.  If they are a "run" team will they adjust to passing?  I ask because some teams die on that hill.  I remember in the 05-06 State game with NW and Chatard...Chatard refused to pass the ball.  I know people always bring up that NW team as...the worst team to win State...but those that followed NW that year knew they could not defend a pass...however...were very good at stopping the run.  Everyone they faced in the playoffs were run heavy offenses.  If that is the case with EC...I like NW's odds of slowing that run game down.

26 minutes ago, 00NWP said:

So I have not seen East Central play this year, but I went and found highlights that were available.  It appeared that EC runs the ball...a lot.  Is that because they are just beating teams and are killing clock, or are they a passing threat as well?  I ask because if you look at NW...they have had success packing the box to stop the run...ie Mishawaka / New Prairie / Leo and letting the DB's do their jobs.  If they are a "run" team will they adjust to passing?  I ask because some teams die on that hill.  I remember in the 05-06 State game with NW and Chatard...Chatard refused to pass the ball.  I know people always bring up that NW team as...the worst team to win State...but those that followed NW that year knew they could not defend a pass...however...were very good at stopping the run.  Everyone they faced in the playoffs were run heavy offenses.  If that is the case with EC...I like NW's odds of slowing that run game down.

EC can run the spread offense and throw it around when they need to. Brotherton(#20) plays all over the field and is going to Western Michigan as a wide receiver. 

That being said EC is a run 1st team and will try to run it until the opponent stops them. The only team that's held them less than 7yds a carry is Batesville and EC threw it for 241yds and 3tds.

Every team that EC plays knows that they will run the ball. New Pal committed 9 to 10 guys in the box most of the night and still gave up 479yds. The rushing stats would probably be even more impressive but the starters were pulled at halftime or early 3rd quarter in most of their games due to the running clock. 

31 minutes ago, 00NWP said:

So I have not seen East Central play this year, but I went and found highlights that were available.  It appeared that EC runs the ball...a lotIs that because they are just beating teams and are killing clock, or are they a passing threat as well?  I ask because if you look at NW...they have had success packing the box to stop the run...ie Mishawaka / New Prairie / Leo and letting the DB's do their jobs.  If they are a "run" team will they adjust to passing?  I ask because some teams die on that hill.  I remember in the 05-06 State game with NW and Chatard...Chatard refused to pass the ball.  I know people always bring up that NW team as...the worst team to win State...but those that followed NW that year knew they could not defend a pass...however...were very good at stopping the run.  Everyone they faced in the playoffs were run heavy offenses.  If that is the case with EC...I like NW's odds of slowing that run game down.

East Central has a 4 headed monster that can run the ball (Ringer, Brotherton, Maxwell, and Minges). Teams know they are going to run it and they still rack up the yards. If you pack the box to stop the run you will hear a lot of the name Brotherton for long TD's. Yes East Central runs the ball EXTREMELY well, but when teams load the box and put a DB on an island with Brotherton it will not bode well. They throw the ball effectively and have a terrific WR/RB to catch the ball. Ringer, Brotherton, Maxwell, as well as QB Burton are all Sr's. QB has completed 68% of his passes for 1,312 yds 22 TD's and 2 Int's. 

They prefer to run the ball but will take advantage of opportunities the defense gives if they load the box. Against Cincinnati Moeller their QB threw 2 passes and had 1 completion (they also threw 1 halfback pass and completed it) so they threw a total of 3 times. Conversly Ringer had 26 carries 246 yds 3 TD's and Maxwell had 12  carries 183 yds 1 TD. All 4 RB's are a threat to take it to the house on each carry.

East Central rushed for 397 yards last year vs. New Prairie.  This year's team is better and more versatile, with Brotherton moving to slot, WR, and splitback to allow Maxwell to get carries.  Also they have added Minges as another threat in the backfield. It's not just the RB's but its also their use of unbalanced and 8-9 man OL formations that make them so tough to matchup with. 

Coach Meiners has a lot of talent and he does a great job of using them in creative ways.  And their defense is very solid as well.  I'm curious to see how NorthWood matches up with them. 

1 hour ago, 00NWP said:

So I have not seen East Central play this year....I like NW's odds of slowing that run game down.

Oh. That makes sense. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

East Central rushed for 397 yards last year vs. New Prairie.  This year's team is better and more versatile, with Brotherton moving to slot, WR, and splitback to allow Maxwell to get carries.  Also they have added Minges as another threat in the backfield. It's not just the RB's but its also their use of unbalanced and 8-9 man OL formations that make them so tough to matchup with. 

Coach Meiners has a lot of talent and he does a great job of using them in creative ways.  And their defense is very solid as well.  I'm curious to see how NorthWood matches up with them. 

Oh. That makes sense. 

East Central's defense gets largely overshadowed by their terrific Offense. They are really good though. Not to mention they bring a defensive scheme not many teams see often especially the off the ball odd man front.

I see some folks saying NorthWood could surprise East Central and keep it close. Anything is possible but I guess I’m just curious as to what the basis of that belief is. I know NorthWood has a couple D1 studs but I also know the team has two losses and is unranked in both the media and coaches polls. Could someone who knows NorthWood well explain to me why they lost to Northridge and Warsaw? Was there an injury that caused them to lose?

Unless there’s a good reason for the losses, I’m having a hard time believing NorthWood could keep it close based on the results of their schedule. Not trying to be insulting but I really want someone to sell me on why NorthWood is the toughest challenge East Central will face this season.

On 11/20/2023 at 6:12 AM, temptation said:

My only interest in this game is to see how these guys perform against East Central. They, along with NW's offense as a whole, was enteraining against Leo. I wouldn't be surprised if Tuggle and Edmond alone could generate 20-25 points for NW. Doesn't really matter though when East Central's offense will come close to scoring on every posession.

4 hours ago, 00NWP said:

So I have not seen East Central play this year, .I like NW's odds of slowing that run game down.

That's because you haven't seen them play. Nobody slows their run game down. Prepare yourself for at least 300 yards rushing and a lot of EC TD's. You may chuckle and shake your head in desbelief, but it's your reality in a few days. NW's only hope is for Edmonds and/or Tuggle to somehow outscore EC in a shootout. I probably have a better chance of winning the Powerball than that actually happening. 

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I see some folks saying NorthWood could surprise East Central and keep it close. Anything is possible but I guess I’m just curious as to what the basis of that belief is. I know NorthWood has a couple D1 studs but I also know the team has two losses and is unranked in both the media and coaches polls. Could someone who knows NorthWood well explain to me why they lost to Northridge and Warsaw? Was there an injury that caused them to lose?

Unless there’s a good reason for the losses, I’m having a hard time believing NorthWood could keep it close based on the results of their schedule. Not trying to be insulting but I really want someone to sell me on why NorthWood is the toughest challenge East Central will face this season.

NW lost to Northridge the first time around as they didn't run the ball...at all.  That was an issue in the first half of the season.  Since that loss, they have realized that they actually can have some success in the running game...which has opened up the passing game.  Warsaw...that game was interesting.  They were in that game...until turnovers in the second half.  That was a pretty bad game...Warsaw hands down played a great game that week.  I know people say...you haven't seen EC play...and I haven't...I will say DB is by far the hardest position to play at any level of football.  I think NW's passing game will be effective as rarely does a high school have more than 2 maybe 3 good DB's.  I'm not saying NW will win this game..I am saying, that they have the ability to keep up with EC scoring. If NW can at least slow down EC running game and make them pass the ball a bit more...that could cause turnovers...and that is what NW will need to keep it close.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 00NWP said:

NW lost to Northridge the first time around as they didn't run the ball...at all.  That was an issue in the first half of the season.  Since that loss, they have realized that they actually can have some success in the running game...which has opened up the passing game.  Warsaw...that game was interesting.  They were in that game...until turnovers in the second half.  That was a pretty bad game...Warsaw hands down played a great game that week.  I know people say...you haven't seen EC play...and I haven't...I will say DB is by far the hardest position to play at any level of football.  I think NW's passing game will be effective as rarely does a high school have more than 2 maybe 3 good DB's.  I'm not saying NW will win this game..I am saying, that they have the ability to keep up with EC scoring. If NW can at least slow down EC running game and make them pass the ball a bit more...that could cause turnovers...and that is what NW will need to keep it close.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Best of luck to your Panthers on Saturday!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 00NWP said:

Bold score there...that means you think NW is the one of the worst teams EC has faced all year.

No, he is saying there is no running clock. EC would have beaten several other teams on their schedule by 70 something points but the running clock sped the game up and prevented extra scoring. Northwood is not the worst team EC has played. I don't think it will be 63-14 though.

On 11/20/2023 at 9:43 PM, PantherPride said:

Taking a break from how awesome EC is, but I wanted to recognize coach Andrews and his staff for the job they have done this season.  I know that the Panthers were 1 of the favorites to reach LOS in August, but it’s been fun to see this team overcome mid season adversity and improve tremendously since September.  I realize that the Panthers have 2 of the top 5 college recruits in the state, but to get them to play as a team when 1 transferred in last winter and another was transferred out all spring and summer until a week or so before the season started. Nitro admitted in an interview he was playing for himself the first few weeks.  A team that was giving up chunk plays in the run game to Plymouth did a solid job of shutting down New Prairie and Leo’s running games. Admittedly it may not matter on Saturday but to pull this team together when they could’ve checked out after 2 straight losses given the preseason expectations coming off all that happened to the program off the field to end last season has been a tremendous job. 

Agreed with this statement. I posted in the NLC thread after the first two weeks of the season (when the Panthers were 2-0) that anything LESS than an undefeated regular season and Semi-State appearance at a minimum by NorthWood would be considered a disappointing year. Then they lost 2 straight conference games, and the wheels appeared to be falling off. The fact that they were able to keep it together and get to Indianapolis on Thanksgiving weekend is a testament to Coach Andrews and the entire staff, as well as the team coming together and the support from the community.

21 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Could someone who knows NorthWood well explain to me why they lost to Northridge and Warsaw? Was there an injury that caused them to lose?

As someone else already said, that Warsaw game was something else. First, the Tigers had an excellent defense this season. They only gave up 15 offensive touchdowns all year, and 3 of those were to NorthWood in the first half of that game. The Panthers took a 21-17 lead right before halftime, but Warsaw was able to score on a 2-play drive to retake a 24-21 lead going into the locker room and stole all the momentum. In the second half, it was just mistake after mistake for NorthWood and they imploded. They ended up with 5 turnovers for the game and didn't score a point in the second half. I know it's "coach speak" sometimes to say this, but I truly believe that's what this NorthWood team needed. They needed to get punched in the mouth, buried in the ditch to find out what kind of team they needed/wanted to be. Those losses to Northridge and Warsaw were probably the best thing to ever happen to the Panthers.

I don't expect them to win, but I do believe they have an opportunity to be competitive into the second half with East Central. Go Panthers!

• Like 1

Warsaw beat Carroll, who I still maintain is one of the best 11 or 12 teams in the state. And they have that clock burning offense that can take any team off guard. So I'm not about to fault Northwood for that loss. I don't know much about Northridge, other than they beat North Side to open the season. At that point, North Side was healthy and their mojo was high. So that was a good win for Northridge. Like Leo, I think Northwood is hitting on all cylinders when it matters most. I don't seem them rolling over for East Central.