Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

4 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

This is game is the culmination of my frustration. Keeping Mishawaka on the schedule would not be so frustrating if you have Carmel and at least another quality 6A on the schedule....

But we get Mishawaka on top of Adams, Washington and Riley....This is possibly the worst schedule Penn has played since 98.

I would rather play Carmel, Valpo, Mishawaka and a top Fort Wayne team or Indy area school and go 1-3 in those games then be undefeated and get owned at home in game one of the Sectionals...

We have seen schools send their JV to play teams of similar quality and the IHSAA doesn't punish them, Penn can do the same thing. This opens up 3 additional games a year for Penn to add quality opponents. 

Get your AD to play Center Grove.  We have a couple openings next year.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

You continue to be too kind to non Indy 6A teams.

Not sure what else you need to see.

I see the gap closing. Whether that was just a two year trend remains to be seen. But both Carroll and Crown Point seem to be trending up as long as there isn't a major coaching change. I'd like to add Penn to the conversation, but like Homestead, they're just trending sideways. I think we can all agree that HSE '22 & Westfield '23 were among Indy's best. 

On 12/9/2023 at 1:57 PM, Grover said:

Get your AD to play Center Grove.  We have a couple openings next year.

I would gladly take that thumping yearly over playing our schedule next year. However, there has been an article locally that quoted our coach as to looking forward to the new challenges of the NIC...

Penn v Center Grove wont happen. 

On 12/9/2023 at 1:50 PM, Grover said:

You just traded up.  

Do you think Mishawaka is better than Carmel, even after the tough year Carmel just had?

My beef with the decision to drop Carmel, isn't directly about Mishawaka, it actually is more about how the administration allows these decisions to be made over doing what is actually best for the program. Scheduling St. X and Cathedral were awesome pick ups...but we have been uncompetitive for like 5 years now....Carmel being on the schedule would have kept the schedule palatable. Penn is about to play one of the weakest schedules in 6A next year. 

4 hours ago, Hudson said:

How about 6A shift to having four different sectionals made of 8 teams and jump straight to semi state? 

Its still the same games.....unless the point is to just not give out a trophy week 2 of tournament?

Apologies if I'm reading that different than you intended.

3 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Penn is about to play one of the weakest schedules in 6A next year. 

Just out of curiosity, I checked John Harrell....last season they ranked 24th in 6A and 33rd overall.  Not a whole lot of room to drop unfortunaltely.  As a Northern Indiana guy I feel Indiana HS football is better when Penn is relavent.  

If I'm Penn, I'd try and schedule 3-4 of these teams each year

Snider, Carroll, Homestead, Crown Point, Carmel, Cathedral, Chicago power, Ohio power, Michigan power.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, US31 said:

Just out of curiosity, I checked John Harrell....last season they ranked 24th in 6A and 33rd overall.  Not a whole lot of room to drop unfortunaltely.  As a Northern Indiana guy I feel Indiana HS football is better when Penn is relavent.  

Snider, Carroll, Homestead, Crown Point, Carmel, Cathedral, Chicago power, Ohio power, Michigan power.

Agree. 

It just boils down to the lack of ability with the current conference schedule. We should have two Region teams (Valpo, the Ville, or CP) each year, a top Fort Wayne school each year and two Indy schools yearly. That leaves 4 games for local rival games. That is a lot of travel, but at this point it is what is needed to be considered competitive. 

Heck even if Penn could join the DAC it would be an upgrade in competition. Ville, Valpo and CP all on the schedule yearly, NC can have Mishawaka still and go to Fort Wayne and pick up Carroll or Snider. If they aren't available you can swing for the fences and go Center Grove, @Grover is saying they have openings they need to fill. 

Pipe dreams. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, US31 said:

Maybe not a big fall as reflected in the rankings, but Penn's objectively below average schedule is about to get much worse when it needs to get much better. Could it be the worst schedule in 6A?

On 10/29/2023 at 8:24 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

Ever since they went to 32 teams I have felt they should do away with sectionals and just do regionals. One let’s face it ishaa is not going away from blind draw like it  or not I do not see them changing. So this would be a way to help at least in my mind.  Like BD and brownburg this year u have a 1 in 3 chance they would play first game. If you go to 8 team regionals, that goes to 1 in 7.  Not saying it would not happen but the odds are better.  Two they do not have to reinvent the wheel they regionals are already set so no more work for them. Three it would safe the ishaa money 8 less trophies they would have to buy.  Like said my opinion and we all how opinion’s on here go. Lol

6 hours ago, Hudson said:

How about 6A shift to having four different sectionals made of 8 teams and jump straight to semi state? 

1 hour ago, US31 said:

Its still the same games.....unless the point is to just not give out a trophy week 2 of tournament?

Apologies if I'm reading that different than you intended.

I post something along those ideas a while back

2 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Agree. 

It just boils down to the lack of ability with the current conference schedule. We should have two Region teams (Valpo, the Ville, or CP) each year, a top Fort Wayne school each year and two Indy schools yearly. That leaves 4 games for local rival games. That is a lot of travel, but at this point it is what is needed to be considered competitive. 

Heck even if Penn could join the DAC it would be an upgrade in competition. Ville, Valpo and CP all on the schedule yearly, NC can have Mishawaka still and go to Fort Wayne and pick up Carroll or Snider. If they aren't available you can swing for the fences and go Center Grove, @Grover is saying they have openings they need to fill. 

Pipe dreams. 

Kind of a more severe measure as to what I thought Snider was going thru until this past year when they cut playing 9 SAC games to 7 SAC games and allowing teams to schedule 2 out of conference games. My pipe dream would be that Snider just played Carroll, Homestead, Dwenger, Luers, and North Side in the SAC and play 4 out of conference games against similar skilled opponents. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Kind of a more severe measure as to what I thought Snider was going thru until this past year when they cut playing 9 SAC games to 7 SAC games and allowing teams to schedule 2 out of conference games. My pipe dream would be that Snider just played Carroll, Homestead, Dwenger, Luers, and North Side in the SAC and play 4 out of conference games against similar skilled opponents. 

That NS game should be a "floater". 

Not so sure that the situation is a permanent one with the belief of them being a Top-Tier SAC team.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Do you think Mishawaka is better than Carmel, even after the tough year Carmel just had?

My beef with the decision to drop Carmel, isn't directly about Mishawaka, it actually is more about how the administration allows these decisions to be made over doing what is actually best for the program. Scheduling St. X and Cathedral were awesome pick ups...but we have been uncompetitive for like 5 years now....Carmel being on the schedule would have kept the schedule palatable. Penn is about to play one of the weakest schedules in 6A next year. 

I get it.  I just have a personal vendetta against the cowards in Carmel.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

Not so sure that the situation is a permanent one with the belief of them being a Top-Tier SAC team.   

I agree....the days of them being considered a top tier SAC team are over (at least they had one year right?  LOL).  I see them falling to a lower bottom half SAC team in the next 2 years....at least until they get a staff in place that can take control of the team (they are really missing the days of Hall and Kolkman)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grover said:

I get it.  I just have a personal vendetta against the cowards in Carmel.

That is what I thought was your sentiment, but just wanted to be sure. lol

Keep the Vendetta strong. 

15 hours ago, PDB26 said:

Maybe not a big fall as reflected in the rankings, but Penn's objectively below average schedule is about to get much worse when it needs to get much better. Could it be the worst schedule in 6A?

Elkhart's schedule cannot be any better. 

at least we have that going for us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

However, there has been an article locally that quoted our coach as to looking forward to the new challenges of the NIC...

I saw that... and literally my jaw dropped. I know it's likely just coach speak and not publically saying anything to ruffle feathers, but I couldn't believe that was the actual quote.

18 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I agree, but with the crap show that is going on at North Side, it would be nice to beat their tails yearly…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I saw that... and literally my jaw dropped. I know it's likely just coach speak and not publically saying anything to ruffle feathers, but I couldn't believe that was the actual quote.

If you remember the animated movie Hercules, when Hades erupts in flames...that is how I felt in that moment....

Sorry everyone, I know...I will leave my grown up and man cards at the table on my way out. 

• Haha 2

On 12/8/2023 at 1:41 PM, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Penn Drops Carmel in favor of Mishawaka.....

We will be an undefeated paper giant going into sectionals for the foreseeable future. 

GAH. 

#droptheNIC

Penn/Mishawaka is like BD/Warren, Avon/Brownsburg, Bloomington North/Bloomington South, HSE/Fishers right? I mean, not the same district but huge rivals. I can see this making difference in gate receipts, but I think Penn needs to play someone down in this area. 

On 12/14/2023 at 1:21 PM, BDGiant93 said:

Penn/Mishawaka is like BD/Warren, Avon/Brownsburg, Bloomington North/Bloomington South, HSE/Fishers right? I mean, not the same district but huge rivals. I can see this making difference in gate receipts, but I think Penn needs to play someone down in this area. 

I think Penn needs to have Mishawaka on their schedule. It is good for our area. What threw me into a frenzy, is the fact that we (the school) are so worried about hurting conference schools feelings that we are sacrificing our competitiveness in the 6A tourney for a conference championship. 

I would rather have Mishawaka on the schedule and send the JV to play most of our conference schedule.  That gives us 3 or 4 games we could play Carmel and other 6A schools. 

But, we care more about feelings than we do about winning.  

Edited by BLACKGOLD2007
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

I think Penn needs to have Mishawaka on their schedule. It is good for our area. What threw me into a frenzy, is the fact that we (the school) are so worried about hurting conference schools feelings that we are sacrificing our competitiveness in the 6A tourney for a conference championship. 

I would rather have Mishawaka on the schedule and send the JV to play most of our conference schedule.  That gives us 3 or 4 games we could play Carmel and other 6A schools. 

But, we care more about feelings than we do about winning.  

I remember running into Coach Geesman before BD and Penn played for the last time in the regular season at Lucas Oil. He was talking about how he told the NIC/ADs they needed to protect rivalries so that games like the Mishawaka game never fell off. 

Edited by BDGiant93

Just now, BDGiant93 said:

I remember running into Coach Geesman before BD and Penn played for the last time in the regular season at Lucas Oil. He was talking about how he told the NIC/ADs they needed to protect rivalries so that games like the BD game never fell off. 

It has been since 2010 since Penn has played BD yearly. Idc if we got walked, won or lost close. BD was always the game on our schedule. Also, the respect between the two programs, sharing meals after the game was an awesome sign of respect. 

I loved that rivalry....well it was lopsided but still a Rivalry to us. 

• Like 2