Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Sectional Football Draw: NOT ON A SUNDAY: Thursday October 8th 6 P.M. Eastern

50 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

What is the reason for the IHSAA making the change? Was it COVID related? (not sure how/why that would impact the Sectional draw)

My guess is to prevent the "watch parties" that they blasted out on social media during the draw the last few years. 

• Like 3

Maybe it's something the new commish wants.  You know, "it's my ball game now.  Let's throw this at the wall and see if it sticks."  I mean it is the IHSAA still running things and seeing how they are at times, I'm not surprised they changed something.  Next year they will probably use scratch off tickets to pick your opponent in the tournament.

though we do not have a "watch party" with our players, but our coaching staff, going on at least 17 years (thats how many years I have been on staff) has enjoyed a big carry in food coma style, from a coaches perspective, it is a very exciting night to map out your tournament run.  We spend 1 night, a few hours usually during our Sunday stafffer and enjoy the event.  Then next day, back to the task at hand that week.   Like I said, you can do both, and there is not a staff in Indiana that doesn't have a vested interest in the pairing show and will be watching it in some capacity, if they say they don't they are lying..... 

• Like 2

I guess we have to look at this realistically.  It's good that there IS a draw this year.  Nothing is certain, even to this point.  We should be thankful that we have been able to progress this far and hope that the season can end Thanksgiving weekend as usual.  One week at a time!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gridiron_Junkie said:

Been saying for years I don't mind the ping pong balls. I just don't get the big deal with the seeding of the team's. So what if the top two teams have to play week one opposed to week three. Plus there is no guarantee that this 1 vs 2 matchup will automatically happen anyway.

Because in general, most fans would prefer to see the top 2 teams in the title game.  It's the #1 versus #2 thing.  When the 2 best teams play each other in the first round, it seems a lot of people lose interest after that game.  I don't see a problem with the seeding.  I think it would hold more fans interest (in a normal year and NOT this year).   However, I'd like to see them come up with a different way to rank teams in classes instead of using enrollment.  I believe it would even out the playing fields a bit more and more than likely cut down on some of the early round blowouts that we are accustomed to seeing.

The show is a fun time for kids and coaches.  I guess we are supposed to refrain from being around each other even though we spend hours together in school and practice.  It's a real bummer that when we finish our practice on Thursday they will have already announced the matchups for our sectional.  I am all for seeding the sectional.  The regular season needs to mean something beyond conference championships and simply preparing for the tournament.  

40 minutes ago, Duke of Denham said:

The show is a fun time for kids and coaches.  I guess we are supposed to refrain from being around each other even though we spend hours together in school and practice.  It's a real bummer that when we finish our practice on Thursday they will have already announced the matchups for our sectional.  I am all for seeding the sectional.  The regular season needs to mean something beyond conference championships and simply preparing for the tournament.  

YUP! Been beating that drum for several years. Having coached wrestling for 12 years - I've seen it can be done. Was it always perfect?? No, but a heckuva lot better than the alternative (blind draws) 

Unfortunately - if it doesn't have the support of coaches - it will never make it to the IHSAA. And sadly, 50% of coaches (estimate) are always gonna like the "blind draw" - cause they could be coaching that 2-7 or 1-8 team that gets the dream draw and makes it all the way to the Championship, only to be drummed by 30. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jets said:

YUP! Been beating that drum for several years. Having coached wrestling for 12 years - I've seen it can be done. Was it always perfect?? No, but a heckuva lot better than the alternative (blind draws) 

Unfortunately - if it doesn't have the support of coaches - it will never make it to the IHSAA. And sadly, 50% of coaches (estimate) are always gonna like the "blind draw" - cause they could be coaching that 2-7 or 1-8 team that gets the dream draw and makes it all the way to the Championship, only to be drummed by 30. 

Been on both sides of that coin over the years.  1 win season and u draw another 1 win school 1st round and it breathes life into the team (for at least a week).  Double ur win total for the year!  Alternatively, solid season and and get stuck in the bracket with the other top 3 teams.  Teams u smoked during the season playing after ur done. Championship is settled long before the title game.  Can see both sides which is why it likely will never happen.

26 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

Been on both sides of that coin over the years.  1 win season and u draw another 1 win school 1st round and it breathes life into the team (for at least a week).  Double ur win total for the year!  Alternatively, solid season and and get stuck in the bracket with the other top 3 teams.  Teams u smoked during the season playing after ur done. Championship is settled long before the title game.  Can see both sides which is why it likely will never happen.

Ohio's tournament this year will be the right format (other than teams opting out). They're doing all in starting next week and have it seeded. I'm not opposed to the IHSAA looking at this format and adopting it. They're allowing the teams knocked out of the tournament to play 3 more games to have their normal 10 game schedule. I'm wondering (if we get the official shortage fixed as well) if an 11th game would be a trade off to allow for seeding in the scenarios you laid out.