Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli starting to look like a 6A Program

Guest DT

9 minutes ago, DT said:

I was looking at the Ohio Divisional breakouts recently and noticed that all of the elite high end football programs play in Division 1.  St X.  St Iggy.  Moeller.  St Edward.  They want to see the best teams play each other at the highest level.  Thats the way it should be in Indiana.  

They happen to be all male schools with large enrollments, at least most of 'em are.  That makes a difference.  Your dislike of good football teams, and let's make 'em all even is worn out and totally outdated. 

57 minutes ago, DL6 said:

Roncalli’s successful years and down years are ALWAYS determined by one, simple indicator... are they able to keep all (or at least a majority) of the talent in their feeder schools (south deanery grade schools) at Roncalli.

In 2016 and 2017, in which RHS won a state championship and was ranked #1 in 5A, they were fueled by classes in which all of the south deanery talent attended Roncalli.

However, anyone within the program at time would have told you tough years were coming. During the following years, Roncalli missed out on the following players that attended their feeder grade schools...

QB Eddie Schott (St Jude) - Southport - Ball State

ATH Haven Montefalco (St Jude) - Cathedral - Harvard

OL Josh Fryar (St. Mark) - Beech Grove - Ohio State

ATH Ryan Lezon (St. Barnabas) - Southport - Ball State

QB Kody Sparks (St. Barnabas) - HSE - Bowling Green

QB Nate  McCahill (St. Roch) - Cathedral - Current candidate for Mr. Football

These are just a few examples. These are also elite high school football players that attended Roncalli’s grade schools but did not attend Roncalli, all for a variety of reasons.

Believe it or not, Roncalli’s success has nothing to do with recruiting (that claim has always been ridiculous).

This year’s Roncalli team is loaded with home grown talent that (outside of McCahill) all chose to stay in the south deanery and attend Roncalli. Thus, the success.

Speaking for all, or at least most Cathedral fans, we thank the South Deanery for Nate McCahill!

36 minutes ago, DT said:

I was looking at the Ohio Divisional breakouts recently and noticed that all of the elite high end football programs play in Division 1.  St X.  St Iggy.  Moeller.  St Edward.  They want to see the best teams play each other at the highest level.  Thats the way it should be in Indiana.  

1600 all males will get ya into the highest class. Roncalli and Cathedral have roughly ~600

2 hours ago, DT said:

Did these players avoid RHS due to the sordid scandals that engulfed the institution over the past several years?  

Post like this show your absolute contempt for Roncalli.    Those "sordid scandals" kind of all disappeared from the headlines.   The Surpreme Court will settle the ones still not resolved.   Roncalli is an outstanding instituition and the vast majority of students and parents who have attended or are attending are proud of their accomplishments.   Your contempt has been around for what 20 years now and sure it will continue for the next 20.   You should really try and "get a life" outside of your unhealthy fixation on the school.   

• Sit and spin 1

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Speaking for all, or at least most Cathedral fans, we thank the South Deanery for Nate McCahill!

I am sure you do!   We are more than happy with the QB we have had for the last 3 years and will have next year.  Home grown talent from southside Nativity.    Good luck on Friday, but not sure you need it.  

1 hour ago, Grandpa B said:

Post like this show your absolute contempt for Roncalli.    Those "sordid scandals" kind of all disappeared from the headlines.   The Surpreme Court will settle the ones still not resolved.   Roncalli is an outstanding instituition and the vast majority of students and parents who have attended or are attending are proud of their accomplishments.   Your contempt has been around for what 20 years now and sure it will continue for the next 20.   You should really try and "get a life" outside of your unhealthy fixation on the school.   

The scandals did indeed occur.   The talent did indeed scatter.   The program did experience a significant downturn.  The schools reputation did indeed suffer

These things all happened.  

Denial is a strong emotion

7 hours ago, DT said:

The schools you just named play in Ohio Division I because that is where their enrollment puts them.

Just a sample from Div-I and Div-II (There are more in other division but far too many to go through them all). 

Div-I Enrollment

St. Ignatius 1,524 All-male

St. Xavier 1,514 All-male

St. Edward 970 All-male

Moeller 856 All-male

Elder 800 All-male

Div-II Enrollment

Walsh Jesuit 1,010 Co-ed

Archbishop Hoban 828 Co-ed

Toledo Central Catholic 600 Co-ed

St. Francis De Sales 875 Co-ed

LaSalle (Cincy) 630 All-male

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

The schools you just named play in Ohio Division I because that is where their enrollment puts them.

Just a sample from Div-I and Div-II (There are more in other division but far too many to go through them all). 

Div-I Enrollment

St. Ignatius 1,524 All-male

St. Xavier 1,514 All-male

St. Edward 970 All-male

Moeller 856 All-male

Elder 800 All-male

Div-II Enrollment

Walsh Jesuit 1,010 Co-ed

Archbishop Hoban 828 Co-ed

Toledo Central Catholic 600 Co-ed

St. Francis De Sales 875 Co-ed

LaSalle (Cincy) 630 All-male

When I attended St. Edward in the late 1960s, it had 1,760 boys. The testosterone fog drifting through those hallways was so thick, you could cut it with a knife.

7 hours ago, Grandpa B said:

I am sure you do!   We are more than happy with the QB we have had for the last 3 years and will have next year.  Home grown talent from southside Nativity.    Good luck on Friday, but not sure you need it.  

I thought that was in the West?  At least that's what the song says ... "Westward leading, Still proceeding, Guide us to Thy perfect Light."  😀

9 hours ago, DT said:

The scandals did indeed occur.   The talent did indeed scatter.   The program did experience a significant downturn.  The schools reputation did indeed suffer

These things all happened.  

Denial is a strong emotion

Your hate emotion is actually sad.   The talent did not scatter.  Roncalli lost no more kids during your "scandal period" than they lost in previous years.   The downturn in the program was no more significant than what I showed in previous post under Scrifres during 3 year periods.   I think most people would not see 8-2 being a downturn.  Only you DT with your hater glasses on would see that.  Schools reputation is just fine for the vast majority for which it matters.  I could not give two cents on what you think of the reputation of Roncalli.    

• Disdain 1

2 minutes ago, Grandpa B said:

Your hate emotion is actually sad.   The talent did not scatter.  Roncalli lost no more kids during your "scandal period" than they lost in previous years.   The downturn in the program was no more significant than what I showed in previous post under Scrifres during 3 year periods.   I think most people would not see 8-2 being a downturn.  Only you DT with your hater glasses on would see that.  Schools reputation is just fine for the vast majority for which it matters.  I could not give two cents on what you think of the reputation of Roncalli.    

Marsh was run off of campus and you were fortunate to have Rburg in town to come in and clean up the mess.  It is what it is.  RHS is the biggest PP in the state and has the resources to quickly bounce back.  I expect you to throttle Hobart.  But you are clearly up to your old strategy of minimizing Roncallis successes as a means to protect their potential to play at the lowest competitive level possible.  I cant see how that is in anyones best interests, and frankly Im surprised your cohorts have not called you out on the issue

6 minutes ago, Grandpa B said:

I dont hate anyone or anything.  I see, I evaluate, I comment.  

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Marsh was run off of campus and you were fortunate to have Rburg in town to come in and clean up the mess.  It is what it is.  RHS is the biggest PP in the state and has the resources to quickly bounce back.  I expect you to throttle Hobart.  But you are clearly up to your old strategy of minimizing Roncallis successes as a means to protect their potential to play at the lowest competitive level possible.  I cant see how that is in anyones best interests, and frankly Im surprised your cohorts have not called you out on the issue

Scott Marsh was a good man and not run off campus.   Wrong again you are.  But you are wrong in about 90% of your take on Roncalli.  Always have and always will.  Why?  Because of your hate.  I don't minimize Roncalli's success.  I have said for 20 years here that they have success because of the PROGRAM.   I have fully supported the Success Factor which has worked.  Again let me remind you Mr. Roncalli Hater that Roncalli has won one state championship in 15 years.    

• Disdain 1

8 minutes ago, Grandpa B said:

Scott Marsh was a good man and not run off campus.   Wrong again you are.  But you are wrong in about 90% of your take on Roncalli.  Always have and always will.  Why?  Because of your hate.  I don't minimize Roncalli's success.  I have said for 20 years here that they have success because of the PROGRAM.   I have fully supported the Success Factor which has worked.  Again let me remind you Mr. Roncalli Hater that Roncalli has won one state championship in 15 years.    

RHS is on the cusp of its 10th state championship.  Nobody is crying  any tears for your lack of additional hardware over the past decade an a half.

2 hours ago, DT said:

The players I listed did not leave because of any “scandals.”

Schott and Lezon’s fathers work at Southport. The Montefalcos have long been a Cathedral family. Fryar’s father coached at Beech Grove. Sparks’ family moved north. Not sure what McCahill’s reasoning was but know his dad was a great athlete at Scecina, so maybe has some ties from the east side.

These are facts, not opinions. So “evaluate” all you want.

Scott Marsh was a fantastic coach as is John Rodenberg. In Marsh’s first year, Roncalli was ranked #1 in 5A and only dropped close losses to Decatur Central and Cathedral. He then helped a really young roster mature and improve over the next two years, and Rodenberg has done a fantastic job keeping that positive momentum going.

For the record, no one at Roncalli holds ill feelings towards any of these kids. No kid should ever be judged for choosing where they want to go to school. Proud of the success they’ve all had!

Edited by DL6
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I don’t have a dog in the fight, and honestly could not care less about Roncalli’s success or lack of it, but I do have some inside info, you are completely wrong. 

He (DT) is wrong.  He is wrong on just about EVERYTHING he posts about Roncalli.    Call it ignorance, arrogance, hate, jealousy, - pick one: he thinks he knows more that the people that associated with the school and the program.     

Edited by Grandpa B

24 minutes ago, Grandpa B said:

He (DT) is wrong.  He is wrong on just about EVERYTHING he posts about Roncalli.    Call it ignorance, arrogance, hate, jealousy, - pick one: he thinks he knows more that the people that associated with the school and the program.     

Careful, he might PM you with some nasty 4-letter words!

1 hour ago, Grandpa B said:

His goal isn't to be right or wrong. His goal is to generate post counts by throwing things out there he knows will generate opposition because they are so off base people will reply. The internet is filled with people like him and some people think they are the reason sites are interesting. They don't have to believe anything they post, but they get a thrill off the constant banter.

• Disdain 1

6 hours ago, JustRules said:

His goal isn't to be right or wrong. His goal is to generate post counts by throwing things out there he knows will generate opposition because they are so off base people will reply. The internet is filled with people like him and some people think they are the reason sites are interesting. They don't have to believe anything they post, but they get a thrill off the constant banter.

Well said and spot on. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, JustRules said:

Yep!

On 11/22/2020 at 10:26 PM, Grandpa B said:

You could put the period after "posts" and eliminated the rest of the sentence and it would still be accurate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1