Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Crown Point could become the Northern version of Center Grove

Guest DT

12 minutes ago, DE said:

Dunno?

Genetics maybe

The Valpo feeder does not let these kids slip thru the cracks.  They capture them as 7 year olds and develop them until they reach high school age.  

2 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Tough question. I think you have to look at changing up the front end of your schedule if you want to compete for a 6A state title. Nothing against Lowell or Andrean...both fine programs. It's a different gear when you're playing any of the MIC teams, HCC teams, or Cathedral.

Its called having a state championship mentality.  

Kids at BD/WC/CA and CG dream of state championships and D1 scholarships

Kids at Crown Point dream of beating Lowell and Merrlllville and wining a sectional title and going to Western Michigan.

Everything MUST elevate for a school like CP to achieve beyond the local level.

Nothing should be off the table, including a money making rivalry game like CP-Lowell.

2 hours ago, DT said:

The Valpo feeder does not let these kids slip thru the cracks.  They capture them as 7 year olds and develop them until they reach high school age.  

How exactly do you know this Mr. P. ?

19 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Crown Point has a HUGE feeder program,  JUNIOR BULLDOGS   

Though, if I am not mistaken,  only Spring 7th grade football for CP schools for 2-3 weeks,  they all play Junior Bulldogs instead of middle school teams.  Only 8th grade teams I believe 

Not JUST theirs. 

I wonder if this head coaching change at Crown Point is being done now as a preemptive strike aimed at the new nearby Andrean High School, slated for constuction at some time in the near future.  

CP athletics are potentially positioned to be the most damaged by the opening of the new Andrean High School.  Many CP Catholic families will be faced with a very difficult decision.  Send our Catholic son/daughter to one of the elite public high schools in the entire state, or send them off to the shiny new Andrean with all its new bells and whistles.

Enright had a solid record at CP, and won 3 sectionals in the past 4 seasons.  No one at the high school level with that type of record generally gets whacked.

I think the CPHS brass is looking ahead and getting a jump on the soon to be arriving competition.

4 minutes ago, DE said:

How exactly do you know this Mr. P. ?

Not JUST theirs. 

Football is the lifeblood of the Valpo athletic program.  It makes good reasonable sense to surmise that kids are identified and groomed at a young age and retention is a huge priority, which leads to success at the varsity level.

Crown Point has always been tough, physical, but why are we shooting for them, like Lake Central, to take on challenges with the MIC, when they have demonstrated they can't consistently be 1-2 in the DAC. Would anyone who knows the DAC say that Crown Point is even top 3 team in the conference? in the last 3-5 years. They just graduated a 3 year starter at QB and were mediocre at best.

Top teams in the DAC have done miserable against HCC competition and has been a push with the Summit, minus Valpo beating Dwenger. DAC schools tried to play Southwest Suburban Conference (large school conference across the border) schools recently and went 0-3, so for right now, get better playing Penn, Elkhart, and Warsaw before thinking about MIC schools.

18 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

Crown Point has always been tough, physical, but why are we shooting for them, like Lake Central, to take on challenges with the MIC, when they have demonstrated they can't consistently be 1-2 in the DAC. Would anyone who knows the DAC say that Crown Point is even top 3 team in the conference? in the last 3-5 years. They just graduated a 3 year starter at QB and were mediocre at best.

Top teams in the DAC have done miserable against HCC competition and has been a push with the Summit, minus Valpo beating Dwenger. DAC schools tried to play Southwest Suburban Conference (large school conference across the border) schools recently and went 0-3, so for right now, get better playing Penn, Elkhart, and Warsaw before thinking about MIC schools.

Crown Point has a higher ceiling than either Merrillville or Valpo.  Remember the powerhouse Lake Central teams of the 90s.  I can envision Crown Point duplicating those teams, and taking it a few steps further.  Keep in mind that soon CP will have nearly 1000 more students in the high school than either Valpo or Merrillville.  That makes a big difference, especially if you have a new staff that encourages increased turnout and you fully maximize all of your student resources.  

Weve seen the best that Merrillville and Valpo have to offer over the past few seasons.  They are both light years away from competing at the highest level in 6A.  It will take a Region mega school to challenge an Indy megaschool, so its either LC or CP.  And LC is a CF.

Edited by DT

6 hours ago, DE said:

BINGO!

The school is supportive of their kids taking APC (or whatever it is called at CP).  Our kids were expected to take it.  If they didn't or couldn't b/c of their schedule, they would join us beginning in January for 530 am workouts in the weight room and conditioning.  Many learned REAL quick to find a way to schedule APC during the day.  Of course, some absolutely could not and they were the ones at the school by 5 am waiting on us coaches to get there.  They then went on their day taking numerous AP/dual credit courses, heavily involved in all aspects of school and community.

We worked HARD at CP, but man did we have a good time.

Lowell football would like to have a word w you Mr. P.

I think the ENTIRE state would agree of the football reputation Lowell has.

The rivalry is very intense and do not see it as a 6A-4A tilt.

4 hours ago, DT said:

Crown Point has a higher ceiling than either Merrillville or Valpo.  Remember the powerhouse Lake Central teams of the 90s.  I can envision Crown Point duplicating those teams, and taking it a few steps further.  Keep in mind that soon CP will have nearly 1000 more students in the high school than either Valpo or Merrillville.  That makes a big difference, especially if you have a new staff that encourages increased turnout and you fully maximize all of your student resources.  

Weve seen the best that Merrillville and Valpo have to offer over the past few seasons.  They are both light years away from competing at the highest level in 6A.  It will take a Region mega school to challenge an Indy megaschool, so its either LC or CP.  And LC is a CF.

Higher ceiling yes, but Crown Point just didn't get big, they have been a larger DAC for the past 10 years. I will say once again, I want to see them consistently beat LaPorte or Michigan City before they should worry about the MIC, let alone the HCC. We all saw what Zionsville and Westfield did to the two best DAC teams, wasn't pretty last year. Center Grove or any other MIC school, let's slow that down. 

5 hours ago, DT said:

I wonder if this head coaching change at Crown Point is being done now as a preemptive strike aimed at the new nearby Andrean High School, slated for constuction at some time in the near future.  

CP athletics are potentially positioned to be the most damaged by the opening of the new Andrean High School.  Many CP Catholic families will be faced with a very difficult decision.  Send our Catholic son/daughter to one of the elite public high schools in the entire state, or send them off to the shiny new Andrean with all its new bells and whistles.

Enright had a solid record at CP, and won 3 sectionals in the past 4 seasons.  No one at the high school level with that type of record generally gets whacked.

I think the CPHS brass is looking ahead and getting a jump on the soon to be arriving competition.

Football is the lifeblood of the Valpo athletic program.  It makes good reasonable sense to surmise that kids are identified and groomed at a young age and retention is a huge priority, which leads to success at the varsity level.

VHS Boys basketball would like to discuss your assumption.

By all means, keep going Mr. P.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DACNUT said:

Higher ceiling yes, but Crown Point just didn't get big, they have been a larger DAC for the past 10 years. I will say once again, I want to see them consistently beat LaPorte or Michigan City before they should worry about the MIC, let alone the HCC. We all saw what Zionsville and Westfield did to the two best DAC teams, wasn't pretty last year. Center Grove or any other MIC school, let's slow that down. 

CP has not been committed to championship caliber football for a long time.  It appears that the time has now come for the school to ramp up its committment and make a run for a state title.  

It all starts with this coaching hire

11 hours ago, southend said:

The region schools and Allen county schools are so far behind, it won’t happen in my lifetime, Marion and surrounding counties own 6a for years to come.  Keep enrollment to 5a and win championships. 

Ouch! For the sake of Allen County and The Region, I'm hoping you are 80 years old or better. Seriously though, Homestead and Carroll have both the resources and growing enrollments........both now over 2400. Carroll is in the process of building an 8 million dollar football stadium and Homestead is starting a 169 million dollar facility upgrade. It's probably a matter of time before they overtake Snider and Dwenger as the kings of the SAC. Now the SAC just needs to get on board with stronger scheduling. 

Dwenger will always be Dwenger. Them Catholic kids are just tough. And they have a beautiful new 5 million dollar football stadium. 

Snider's enrollment is down from 2100 to 1800. FWCS's doesn't seem to be doing them any favors either. Although situated in a nice neighborhood, driving by the football/track facility reminds me of something you would see in Gary or Detroit. A rusty fence and leaning goal posts...........thankfully they get to get on a bus and play their games at Northrop.  However, Snider's community and strong nucleus of administration and football coaches will keep them near the top for another decade at least. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tanka Jahari said:

How is Crown Point set up for endzone cameras? Before they worry about competing outside of the Region, they need to make sure their endzone camera game is on point! A school with 3,000 students should have a Hi-Pod X31 or two laying around.

Fantastic.  State of the art.  Actually, I think they 3 laying around.

I jest.

I’m really not talking 5 or 4a or even the rest of the lower enrollments. Just 6a here.  Granted ,Carroll is in an affluent area of town and has the money for top notch facilities, but that is just one of the steps to get to where Marion and surrounding counties are right now.  Plus as Homestead and Carroll get better, do you think Marion schools are staying the same? It will be several years before you see any consistent challenge from The Fort or the reigon , in 6a.  

14 minutes ago, southend said:

I’m really not talking 5 or 4a or even the rest of the lower enrollments. Just 6a here.  Granted ,Carroll is in an affluent area of town and has the money for top notch facilities, but that is just one of the steps to get to where Marion and surrounding counties are right now.  Plus as Homestead and Carroll get better, do you think Marion schools are staying the same? It will be several years before you see any consistent challenge from The Fort or the reigon , in 6a.  

I'd argue that Marion County schools ARE staying the same if not declining (I know that some of the folks on this board will rush to their defense and pretend they are outraged by this statement).  I've been saying this for a couple of years now.  

At no time in the previous two decades were Avon, Brownsburg, Zionsville, New Palestine, Whiteland, Mount Vernon, HSE, Fishers and Westfield legitimate LONG TERM ANNUAL threats to the Marion County schools.  They popped up every once in a while with a stellar group but then returned to earth and rebuilt for another run.

Warren and Ben Davis' demise was slightly exaggerated by a couple of folks (including myself) on this board but I will remain steadfast that they are simply where they are at this point due to enrollment advantages and the culture of football at their buildings.  We will never see a team at either school that rivals Warren's 2006 or BD's 2017 team again.  Kids want to see the field and will head to Avon or Brownsburg instead of "waiting their turn" at BD.  I could see similar happenings at WC as it relates to Franklin Central in the coming years.

Population trends/demographics are shifting and the talent is much more spread out in central Indiana.  Not just at the 6A level.  I have been hearing about Carroll and Homestead "gearing up" and gaining momentum for years now but they have fallen flat on their face when given the opportunity.  Snider will be able to compete in 5A but no one in central Indiana views them as a threat in 6A.  Maybe they get (or already have) a good group coming down the pipeline but they'll never be a consistent threat when you look at the enrollment in 6A combined with their SES.

Tee off on me.  I can handle it.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, DT said:

They fail the eye test when compared to central Indiana schools.  I can see it throughout The DAC when I look at game photos in The Times.  

Agreed. Whenever I do actually go to a game, typically a Noblesville game at this point, I'm impressed by the sheer size of the teams. Based on my perception, a lot of 6'0 or higher players. Not a lot of 5'7 to 5'10 kids.

20 hours ago, DT said:

I would be curious to see the impact Andreas has on Crown Point. My guess is Andrean gets more football talent out of Crown Point than they do Valpo. Though I'm unsure how many of Andrean's starters are actually from Crown Point. 

I would imagine Center Grove has the benefit that they'll never lose anyone of significance to Roncalli. Just my guess though.

40 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed. Whenever I do actually go to a game, typically a Noblesville game at this point, I'm impressed by the sheer size of the teams. Based on my perception, a lot of 6'0 or higher players. Not a lot of 5'7 to 5'10 kids.

man do you have good eyes to see the difference of a 5-10 player compared to a 6-0 player.