Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Biggest Week One Upset

30 minutes ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Has to be Brebeuf willing at Chatard, right? 

What about West Lafayette over Jeff? Did Jeff lose a lot from last year's team?

West Lafayette beating Jeff, in general terms, wasn't surprising since they play Jeff close every year and had actually beaten Jeff before ... back in 2018.  What makes me wonder is that my son said that WL didn't look all that good when they scrimmaged Harrison a couple of weeks ago.  Scrimmages are not necessarily data sources to hang a season hat on, but will be interested in seeing what the Jeff - Harrison matchup looks like in three weeks.  May get a glimpse when Harrison faces Westfield on Friday.

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Has to be Brebeuf willing at Chatard, right? 

This was a big upset in that it's been several years since Brebeuf won this game, but I'm not shocked by the outcome. Brebeuf has a good team with some very talented players. This was also expected to be a down year for Chatard after taking some big hits to graduation. Unfortunately, I think this season is going to be a painful one for Chatard faithful. They honestly looked like a JV team compared to Brebeuf physically. Smallest Chatard team I've seen in recent memory.

But take nothing away from Brebeuf. They were the better team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run in 3A. Hats off to the Preps!

15 minutes ago, TheDoctor22 said:

This was a big upset in that it's been several years since Brebeuf won this game, but I'm not shocked by the outcome. Brebeuf has a good team with some very talented players. This was also expected to be a down year for Chatard after taking some big hits to graduation. Unfortunately, I think this season is going to be a painful one for Chatard faithful. They honestly looked like a JV team compared to Brebeuf physically. Smallest Chatard team I've seen in recent memory.

But take nothing away from Brebeuf. They were the better team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run in 3A. Hats off to the Preps!

And THIS was the year they put Warren on the schedule?  Yikes.

Edited by temptation

On 8/21/2021 at 2:36 PM, TheDoctor22 said:

Yep, Brebeuf deserves all the props they can get.  Brebeuf looked great but it’s going to be hard to say just how good Brebeuf is until we get some measure of Chatard which might be difficult in the context of the next three “Murderer’s Row” of games they are facing (Warren Central, Cathedral, Roncalli).  

With that, Chatard seemed to play Hamilton Southeastern roughly equally, so I was a little surprised at how the Brebeuf game played out….despite Chatard looking tiny against HSE as well.  So even in what some might consider a “down” year I was a little surprised (to keep it a bit in context, the last couple of years featured Chatard teams that may well rank among the best Chatard teams that have been fielded).

On 8/21/2021 at 2:51 PM, temptation said:

Yeah……”yikes” is the word that occurs to me as well.

I think Chatard’s teams these last couple of years play this game tightly with Chatard having a slight edge….but this is a different year.

Edited by Lysander

On 8/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, temptation said:

I’ll also give honorable mention to Luers over Carroll.

Since the better team won, I have difficulty calling it an upset. From what I saw that night, Luers win that game 8/10 times.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 2:51 PM, temptation said:

Think it would be foolish to write off Chatard just yet. Unless this Chatard team is completely different from any Chatard team I’ve seen the last 20 years, they aren’t going to roll up and die.

Warren appeared to have several conditioning issues last week and with another scorcher in the forecast, tired football players lead to undisciplined football players. Chatard has thrived in this kind of situation in years past playing with nothing to lose. Unless Chatard self destructs with turnovers I think it’s a close game. Might be my upset pick of the week.

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Think it would be foolish to write off Chatard just yet. Unless this Chatard team is completely different from any Chatard team I’ve seen the last 20 years, they aren’t going to roll up and die.

Yeah, I completely expect them to battle all season. I think they are replacing something like 9 starters on offense, all 5 olinemen, and 7 on D. Hell of a stretch to start your varsity career for most of these guys!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Warren appeared to have several conditioning issues last week and with another scorcher in the forecast, tired football players lead to undisciplined football players. Chatard has thrived in this kind of situation in years past playing with nothing to lose. Unless Chatard self destructs with turnovers I think it’s a close game. Might be my upset pick of the week.

I’ll never write off the Trojans.  This group is faced with perhaps the most difficult schedule in the history of the Trojans.  Whatever the result this year, I will never doubt their resolve or their commitment.

I hope like heck the school maintains this level of schedule because I want to see even more kids at Chatard that welcome a Warren Central game just as much as they do a Cathedral or Roncalli game.

This game is likely a dogfight the last 2 years with Sagarin giving Chatard the edge those 2 years.  This year, the Trojans are huge underdogs….

I’m anticipating some major adjustments vs Warren Central….and some smoothing out in game play with all the new starters.  No doubt Warren Central (with roughly 1,900 boys) will be much more talented (much like Merrillville last year) vs. a school with 300 or so boys (just to put these things in some perspective…).  

Err….can still say “boys” in this age of “self-identifying”?  

• Haha 1

I would say without KNOWING much about what Warsaw was going to do this year after losing a lot of talented seniors from last season AND just the historical perspective about how good Dublin Coffman (OH) program is... I really do not know if it was an "upset", but I am a Tiger supporter that was STUNNED to see Warsaw win the game, especially after giving up a 65 yard TD run on the very first play of scrimmage by Coffman.

After Columbus North beat Gibson Southern last year 48-6 can anyone really say they expected Gibson Southern to dominate  Columbus North 43-20 this year? I am sure Gibson Southern fans though they could win but I doubt they expected that big of a difference in the score.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I would say without KNOWING much about what Warsaw was going to do this year after losing a lot of talented seniors from last season AND just the historical perspective about how good Dublin Coffman (OH) program is... I really do not know if it was an "upset", but I am a Tiger supporter that was STUNNED to see Warsaw win the game, especially after giving up a 65 yard TD run on the very first play of scrimmage by Coffman.

I tried to find some information about Dublin Coffman, but came up short. I believe someone on this forum, maybe DT, labeled them as a Columbus power. If that's the case, then Warsaw has a good case for 'upset of the week.' It'll be interesting following the Tigers the rest of the season. I'd have to dub them as one of the Top 3 teams in 6A north at this point. The other two being Merrillville and Homestead. 

2 hours ago, sr1 said:

After Columbus North beat Gibson Southern last year 48-6 can anyone really say they expected Gibson Southern to dominate  Columbus North 43-20 this year? I am sure Gibson Southern fans though they could win but I doubt they expected that big of a difference in the score.

Believe me, I’m a BIG, BIG fan of GS (recruitin’ Catholics that they apparently MUST be to pull off that win) and am rooting for them to get their long-deserved blue rings - but check Guerin’s record v. Columbus North before you place that crown.  

CN is generally a win vs. the Circle City Conference 3A teams (4A Roncalli excepted).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BTF said:

I tried to find some information about Dublin Coffman, but came up short. I believe someone on this forum, maybe DT, labeled them as a Columbus power. If that's the case, then Warsaw has a good case for 'upset of the week.' It'll be interesting following the Tigers the rest of the season. I'd have to dub them as one of the Top 3 teams in 6A north at this point. The other two being Merrillville and Homestead. 

@DT is correct with his labeling, and I concur. Historically, Dublin Coffman is one of the top Division 1 programs from Columbus, as well as the entire state of Ohio. They have qualified for the playoffs 20 times in their history, including the last 12 seasons. Last year they finished the regular season ranked #8 in the Division 1 poll, and earned the #1 seed in the Division 1 - Region 2 bracket. They won their first two games of the playoffs before losing in the "Sweet 16" round by a score of 18-15. Coffman would fit right in with the HCC or MIC here in Indiana. I liken them to a school/community like Westfield, with the history of a program like Carmel (without the state championships). They consistently have D1 kids year in and year out, something Warsaw has only seen at the kicker position the last 15 years.

11 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

@DT is correct with his labeling, and I concur. Historically, Dublin Coffman is one of the top Division 1 programs from Columbus, as well as the entire state of Ohio. They have qualified for the playoffs 20 times in their history, including the last 12 seasons. Last year they finished the regular season ranked #8 in the Division 1 poll, and earned the #1 seed in the Division 1 - Region 2 bracket. They won their first two games of the playoffs before losing in the "Sweet 16" round by a score of 18-15. Coffman would fit right in with the HCC or MIC here in Indiana. I liken them to a school/community like Westfield, with the history of a program like Carmel (without the state championships). They consistently have D1 kids year in and year out, something Warsaw has only seen at the kicker position the last 15 years.

Thanks for the information. Never estimate good coaching. Someone on here kept saying this would be a down year for Warsaw. That doesn't seem to be the case after Week 1. 

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Thanks for the information. Never estimate good coaching. Someone on here kept saying this would be a down year for Warsaw. That doesn't seem to be the case after Week 1. 

I may have mentioned that I was not sure what to expect from Warsaw this year due to the impact graduations had on the team. A lot of production on offense and multi-year starters/players was lost on both sides of the ball. But I will admit I really did not believe Warsaw would have won the game Friday night. Because of Bart Ball, Warsaw will always be in most games. Rarely have/will they get blown out. But I definitely underestimated their performance. Only 1 week, and hopefully the kids are not letting it get to their heads. But I was extremely impressed by the Tigers Friday night and believe the term "upset" is appropriate.

11 hours ago, Lysander said:

I’ll never write off the Trojans.  This group is faced with perhaps the most difficult schedule in the history of the Trojans.  Whatever the result this year, I will never doubt their resolve or their commitment.

I hope like heck the school maintains this level of schedule because I want to see even more kids at Chatard that welcome a Warren Central game just as much as they do a Cathedral or Roncalli game.

This game is likely a dogfight the last 2 years with Sagarin giving Chatard the edge those 2 years.  This year, the Trojans are huge underdogs….

I’m anticipating some major adjustments vs Warren Central….and some smoothing out in game play with all the new starters.  No doubt Warren Central (with roughly 1,900 boys) will be much more talented (much like Merrillville last year) vs. a school with 300 or so boys (just to put these things in some perspective…).  

Err….can still say “boys” in this age of “self-identifying”?  

300 hand picked, specially trained and lazer focused boys

49 minutes ago, DT said:

300 hand picked, specially trained and lazer focused boys

Yep.  I didn’t point out THE 300 intentionally…..being as subtle as a hammer.

Check the whole “Horatius at the Bridge” thing too.

I’m all about Classical history.…..and I will never not love these kids.  

They are all special….regardless of season.

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

Yep.  I didn’t point out THE 300 intentionally…..being as subtle as a hammer.

Check the whole “Horatius at the Bridge” thing too.

I’m all about Classical history.…..and I will never not love these kids.  

They are all special….regardless of season.