Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State tournament and playing fields

48 minutes ago, temptation said:

A game played by children that can open doors for many of them.

I wouldn't exactly call 7% "many of them":  https://scholarshipstats.com/varsityodds

FTA:

Overall a little over 7% of high school athletes (about 1 in 13) go on to play a varsity sport in college and less than 2% of high school athletes (1 in 57) go on to play at  NCAA Division I schools.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Indiana had a chance to put itself on the map and in the national spotlight earlier this month and one school chose not to by playing the contest on a slip and slide.

Now, I need the REAL story on why Tech is no longer an option for Cathedral…I’ve heard rumors…

Indiana has been on the map and gained National spotlight. They did with Ben Davis and their #1 National ranking many years ago. They did during the Warren Central dynasty. They have with CG being ranked highly nationally the last 2 years. Playing on a grass field didn't change that. They also have had games televised on ESPN (Carmel/Cathedral). This CG/Cathedral game wasn't chosen to be nationally televised and that wasn't going to change if it was played at Arlington, Tech, North Central, or St. Matthews CYO field. You make way more of it than anyone else on here and definitely won't let it die.

IWG just specifically stated that Cathedral has a contract to use Arlington for the regular season. That is all you need should answer all questions.

• Haha 1

Sorry I'm new to GD so please forgive me that this is off topic but it looks like @Irishman is the GD police and decides what is valid and not valid to post. I would like like to post about the topic of national exposure but I know it's off topic for this thread so I thought about creating a new thread but I  saw the post that said the game between center grove and cathedral is off limits  so I am a little confuse on what I can post and not get in trouble/put in time.

Edited by Slobberknocker
Typo
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

Sorry I'm new to GD so please forgive me that this is off topic but it looks like @Irishman is the GD police and decides what is valid and not valid to post. I would like like to post about the topic of national exposure but I know it's off topic for this thread so I thought about creating a new thread but I  saw the post that said the game between center grove and cathedral is off limits  so I am a little confuse on what I can post and not get in trouble/put in time.

Apparently ne enough to have not seen the number of topics the conversation spread to that were unrelated to the one you mentioned, along with the number of insults back and forth....as well as the number of topics that were started to take cheap shots at a program........But nice introduction with the "Look at me" post. Maybe a message would have sufficed????? just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I wouldn't exactly call 7% "many of them":  https://scholarshipstats.com/varsityodds

FTA:

Why are you only referring to scholarships?  Don’t be so close minded.

I am largely the man I am today BECAUSE of my participation in high school athletics.  I chose my career based in part to my love for them, created lifelong relationships because of them and networked my way through life based on many of those relationships and experiences.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

Indiana has been on the map and gained National spotlight. They did with Ben Davis and their #1 National ranking many years ago. They did during the Warren Central dynasty. They have with CG being ranked highly nationally the last 2 years. Playing on a grass field didn't change that. They also have had games televised on ESPN (Carmel/Cathedral). This CG/Cathedral game wasn't chosen to be nationally televised and that wasn't going to change if it was played at Arlington, Tech, North Central, or St. Matthews CYO field. You make way more of it than anyone else on here and definitely won't let it die.

IWG just specifically stated that Cathedral has a contract to use Arlington for the regular season. That is all you need should answer all questions.

One more question:  Why just the regular season?

3 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I thought everyone would be bored talking about field conditions ad nauseam, but clearly I was wrong 

And apparently people cannot distinguish between the topic title of State Tournament and playing fields compared to regular season field conditions. 😄

10 minutes ago, Irishman said:

And apparently people cannot distinguish between the topic title of State Tournament and playing fields compared to regular season field conditions. 😄

Nope.  Not when a precedent had been set two weeks earlier.

You’ll never convince me that Arlington is in worse shape right now than it was two weeks ago.

The only difference is the opponent.

Hell even a couple of Cathedral posters insinuated that the week 10 game against Center Grove was bigger than a 5A state title for the Irish…and one referenced the coaching staff echoing this sentiment.

It all makes so much sense if you open your eyes.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I thought everyone would be bored talking about field conditions ad nauseam, but clearly I was wrong 

If you could detach the teams from their fields, that assumption would probably be spot on.

13 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

The last neutral site game AC played on turf was in week 3 against a talented and athletic spread team in Parke Heritage and the Jets looked fast and explosive. This isn’t a Jet team that is solely built on the Rick Minnich mold of “3 yards and a cloud of dust.” They can do that (and since your comments in another thread suggest you don’t believe this, I think you need to watch film from last week), but they’re more dangerous when they can utilize speed while getting to the edge. The wings will make cuts much easier on the turf. Whatever potential advantage Southwood gains from this move is definitely balanced (if not outweighed) by the advantage that AC gains. 
The sidelines of Minnich Field were submerged in flooded waters this weekend. Another inch or so of rain between tonight and kickoff would have made for ridiculous conditions - not to mention potentially making the field nearly unplayable for future games this postseason if they’re able to move on. This was the right move. We need to move past the fact that “we’ve never had to do this before.” It hasn’t been an option until recently and weather hasn’t prompted this situation in recent history. 

I watched the game again and replayed over and over the plays on both sides. The pulling linemen had a rough night to say the least on the offense. Busco also did a good job with the MLB #25 blitzing off a pulling guard as well.  The wings had a hard time blocking as well, but the way they line up makes it hard on a few of the plays. On defense, it was clear Busco outnumbered them by pulling guard & tackle to a specific side. We need another quick DE to go with Currie and move Wurm to DT with Hirschy. Wurm is a great player but couldn't get to the edge fast enough as DE. Up the middle they drove Moon back multiple times into the LBS. Wurm & Moon are young and will be really good in the future. I think Bluhm may need to go DE & bring in another LB. Bluhm standing over the center felt like it took him out of the edge support to help Wurm.

I know the turf can help our wings this week, but I also think it helps Southwood's offense even more. A muddy field in Monroe would extremely hurt the Southwood offense more than AC's. I guess hopefully advancing and getting another possible home game is the only benefit I can see. I'd rather see neutral site for regional and semi state anyway. I'm sure if that ever happens, it'd be turf for those games.

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

You’ll never convince me that Arlington is in worse shape right now than it was two weeks ago.

Lol.

You been out of town the last 3 weeks or does your moms basement just not have windows?

I most have missed all your posts about Arlington’s field the three other times they played there.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Lol.

You been out of town the last 3 weeks or does your moms basement just not have windows?

I most have missed all your posts about Arlington’s field the three other times they played there.

My mom is deceased.  She doesn’t have a basement.

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

Nope.  Not when a precedent had been set two weeks earlier.

The only difference is the opponent.

Hell even a couple of Cathedral posters insinuated that the week 10 game against Center Grove was bigger than a 5A state title for the Irish…and one referenced the coaching staff echoing this sentiment.

It all makes so much sense if you open your eyes.

lol

New Let It Go Meme Generator Memes |

4 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

@WCGrad92I rest my case. I knew he wouldn't disappoint.

Tonight's game was moved likely because the field got pounded for 2 Friday nights and weeks of rainy weather. I would bet even the grounds crew couldn't get out on it to do any work because of the weeks of saturation. I am not Cathedral administration so I have no dog in the mix. I will say I highly doubt there was any more gamesmanship for the CG game than there was for Penn, Chatard, Hammond Morton, or TH North. If they hadn't played those other games there this year or last I would totally agree with you. That's is why I even brought up Pioneer (during the Jack Kiser) era. If I remember correctly they moved a late post season game to a turf field because their field had got into bad shape after some back to back games on a grass field dealing with rain.

On to other things. When talking about Neutral sites I would be curious what criteria some would want for Neutral sites. There are some nice D2 and D3 fields. However the problem I see is many of them have large home side bleachers, but visitor bleachers are not very big (and they don't need to be because very rarely are they filled up by opposing teams they play that travel from out of state). You have the D1 colleges that are pretty big. Would there be certain High School you could use. I like the Neutral site idea just wanting to get some ideas.

I would say that any high school football games played in the month of November should all be on turf fields, given the point made above.  Any natural grass fields this time of the year are going to be compromised.  With that being said, I fully support games for 'regular season' to be played on natural grass no matter what the conditions.

5 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

Not hard to figure out. There are no guarantee that there will be a home game for any team. That comes down to fate of the ping pong balls and then if you win.

Huh?  Why would the contract not say “All regular season contests and any potential postseason contests?”

LOL.  It’s not like they could double book the facility.

You are talking yourself in circles here.

Edited by temptation

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Huh?  Why would the contract not say “All regular season contests and any potential postseason contests?”

LOL.  It’s not like they could double book the facility.

That's two more questions. You said you only had one.

25 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

Not surprising to me that the topic of field conditions is still happening since as of yesterday, October was the fourth wettest month in Indianapolis history and I am guessing the rest of state is the same or worst.

And guess what field with what user continuously gets dragged through the mud (no pun intended)?