Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Chatard vs Knox Semi-state

10 hours ago, tango said:

Find me a p/p that "restricts" enrollment. I'll wait. 

Sorry.....every single one does
Every single one has an admission/application process. That limits/restricts enrollment
Even with tuition assistance and vouchers, the cost to attend limits/restricts enrollment.

99.9% of them have little to no special needs population, and even the ones that do have very limited resources and have to turn away certain student they know they would not be able to serve effectively. That limits/restricts enrollment. 

Every one of them has a performance and behavior standard in place that would not be allowed in public schools. That limits/restricts enrollment.

The size of most buildings, including the number of classrooms and the number of seats available limits/restricts enrollment. 
These are not criticisms, but they are all realities. 

• Like 1

Back to football. Has Knox played anyone this year? It looks like their regular season schedule is mostly 1A and 2A teams. They only beat 1A North Judson 22-18 and the best team they played all year, West Noble, they only beat 15-13. 

Are they forced into their schedule due to conference rules or is it just too far for them to travel to play decent competition? I realize that it is easier to find tough games in the urban areas but wouldn’t it be worth it for some of these teams to travel just to test themselves?

If Chatard wins this game it will be the 10th hardest team they have played this year. Just a huge difference in preparation for the kids. 

7 hours ago, Irishman said:

Every single one has an admission/application process. That limits/restricts enrollment
Even with tuition assistance and vouchers, the cost to attend limits/restricts enrollment.

99.9% of them have little to no special needs population, and even the ones that do have very limited resources and have to turn away certain student they know they would not be able to serve effectively. That limits/restricts enrollment. 

Every one of them has a performance and behavior standard in place that would not be allowed in public schools. That limits/restricts enrollment.

The size of most buildings, including the number of classrooms and the number of seats available limits/restricts enrollment. 

There you go again trying to sprinkle in actual facts. Like you have coached at P/P schools! 🤣😂

I personally think where some want to mention restricting enrollments, they feel they do it to stay in a specific class in sports. In reality classification of sports is not even a part of the decisions of why enrollment is restricted. All the things you've listed don't even sniff restricting enrollment for athletic classification. That in itself is the biggest thing lost in translation. Number of classrooms and seats is a big thing, heck some of the schools have already thrown up walls to split classrooms or made additions to appease a growing student body. Others are down in enrollment and desperately wanting viable students to fill the classrooms.

One thing is for certain if they have the room, the student can meet the criteria set out, and the parents can afford the tuition. They will gladly take them because each students tuition helps keep the doors open, lights on, and teachers / administrators salary paid. 

17 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

There you go again trying to sprinkle in actual facts. Like you have coached at P/P schools! 🤣😂

I personally think where some want to mention restricting enrollments, they feel they do it to stay in a specific class in sports. In reality classification of sports is not even a part of the decisions of why enrollment is restricted. All the things you've listed don't even sniff restricting enrollment for athletic classification. That in itself is the biggest thing lost in translation. Number of classrooms and seats is a big thing, heck some of the schools have already thrown up walls to split classrooms or made additions to appease a growing student body. Others are down in enrollment and desperately wanting viable students to fill the classrooms.

One thing is for certain if they have the room, the student can meet the criteria set out, and the parents can afford the tuition. They will gladly take them because each students tuition helps keep the doors open, lights on, and teachers / administrators salary paid. 

I agree as far as the assumptions go about controlling enrollment. The same can be said when the r word is thrown out when the term people are actually referring to is undue influence. And the difference between recruiting and undue influence is pretty significant. 

8 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I agree as far as the assumptions go about controlling enrollment. The same can be said when the r word is thrown out when the term people are actually referring to is undue influence. And the difference between recruiting and undue influence is pretty significant. 

yep-best.gif

Exactly my thoughts. ALL P/P recruit students, not just athletes but every student that walks through that door was recruited. Some by even the best recruiters (their parents that are alumni). If they didn't the doors wouldn't be open. Heck even many of the township schools recruit now or days with Open Enrollment.

Undue influence is a whole different animal.

1 hour ago, FastpacedO said:

I personally think where some want to mention restricting enrollments, they feel they do it to stay in a specific class in sports.

That was the insinuation. There is not 1 p/p school in Indiana that keeps numbers at a given level to stay in a particular class for athletics...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irishman said:

Every one of them has a performance and behavior standard in place that would not be allowed in public schools.

On this we can agree. But the question is why? 

** As an aside.  I don't take much educational advice from Facebook.  I have observed the Venn diagram between 1) parents mad at the school system for teaching things without their knowledge and 2) parents mad that teachers send home too much homework - seems to be a perfect circle. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

On this we can agree. But the question is why? 

Because those standards for performance and behavior are generally what are required for success in any post-secondary endeavor, whether it be the workforce, military, or further academic pursuits. In most cases having such a standard that is known by parents and students going in can be a component of the tide that helps raise all boats, but it isn't always the case. We sometimes have parents / students who choose to leave our school when faced with enforcement of the standards elect to take safe harbor where lower standards are accepted. 

9 hours ago, Just a dad said:

Back to football. Has Knox played anyone this year? It looks like their regular season schedule is mostly 1A and 2A teams. They only beat 1A North Judson 22-18 and the best team they played all year, West Noble, they only beat 15-13. 

Are they forced into their schedule due to conference rules or is it just too far for them to travel to play decent competition? I realize that it is easier to find tough games in the urban areas but wouldn’t it be worth it for some of these teams to travel just to test themselves?

If Chatard wins this game it will be the 10th hardest team they have played this year. Just a huge difference in preparation for the kids. 

Tradionally they haven't been a good team until here lately. Radtke has that effect on programs. He almost instantly turns them into winners.

They are moving to a bigger conference next year with mostly 3a or 2a teams. Their current conference is mostly 1a or 2a schools but it's a pretty good small school conference. The Judson game is typically a terrible game to gauge them on with it being their rivalry.

Knox may play a perfect game and still get blown out in this game. I think the whole town realizes the uphill battle they face with playing the juggernaut of Chatard. Them trying to schedule a Merriville or Valpo (which i doubt the DAC schools would schedule them with them trying to prepare for the indy teams as well) wouldn't make that much of a difference for them. Except maybe cause a few more injuries and add a loss on their scheule.

11 hours ago, Irishman said:

Interesting that some of the things that “limits/restricts enrollment” in P/Ps are the very things that also attracts students to them?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Exactly my thoughts. ALL P/P recruit students, not just athletes but every student that walks through that door was recruited. Some by even the best recruiters (their parents that are alumni). If they didn't the doors wouldn't be open. Heck even many of the township schools recruit now or days with Open Enrollment.

Undue influence is a whole different animal.

But it sure is nice when the kid who walks through the p/p door with a very high IQ also runs a really fast 40 yard dash..................

1 hour ago, tango said:

We sometimes have parents / students who choose to leave our school when faced with enforcement of the standards elect to take safe harbor where lower standards are accepted. 

AKA they enroll their kids in a government school.

59 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Interesting that some of the things that “limits/restricts enrollment” in P/Ps are the very things that also attracts students to them?

Exactly...you can see how the remaining population evolves to one of a higher standard.

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

But it sure is nice when the kid who walks through the p/p door with a very high IQ also runs a really fast 40 yard dash..................

And it hurts when a good athlete can't see the value of discipline and accountability and walks out the p/p door. The door swings both ways. 

4 hours ago, littledog said:

Tradionally they haven't been a good team until here lately. Radtke has that effect on programs. He almost instantly turns them into winners.

They are moving to a bigger conference next year with mostly 3a or 2a teams. Their current conference is mostly 1a or 2a schools but it's a pretty good small school conference. The Judson game is typically a terrible game to gauge them on with it being their rivalry.

Knox may play a perfect game and still get blown out in this game. I think the whole town realizes the uphill battle they face with playing the juggernaut of Chatard. Them trying to schedule a Merriville or Valpo (which i doubt the DAC schools would schedule them with them trying to prepare for the indy teams as well) wouldn't make that much of a difference for them. Except maybe cause a few more injuries and add a loss on their scheule.

John Hendryx got them going and Coach Radtke has kicked it into high gear. 

14 hours ago, Just a dad said:

West Lafayette, LaVille, Triton, North Judson and West Noble all had fine seasons.  Chatards schedule definitely helps them but even if they played a weaker schedule or watered down they'd still be really good and probably still favored by a lot. 

1 hour ago, hondo17 said:

John Hendryx got them going and Coach Radtke has kicked it into high gear. 

I’ll be honest, prior to Radtke showing up I’m not sure I had ever heard of Knox. But here’s what will happen. Knox will be well prepared. They’ll have a great game plan and they will execute it to the best of their ability. And at the end of the day, they’ll lose to a better team, but they will show up and compete. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So you are saying a fast 40-yard dash time is not a desirable trait for a football player?

I didn't see me type that. I do know during entance exams, parent/student interviews, registration (heck even filing for Financial aid) etc. 40 times aren't on any of the forms or questions. Neither are Punt, Pass, and Kick ratings or elementary school stats.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irishman said:

The r word-made me think of that Black Eyed Peas song, "Let's Get Retarded."