Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A State Championship Bishop Luers vs North Posey

4 minutes ago, LuersLurker said:

Darn if I can remember only 4 of the names:  Anthony Spencer, Coach Kyle Lyndsay, Adam Griffith, Micheal Ledo.  Someone help me out. And to think that I had pictures of them in my Classroom.

Was Matt Millhouse in that group?  Was on the Luers staff for the Jaylon Smith years, then coached at St. Francis.

51 minutes ago, BTF said:

You and I were both hard on Luers this season. I love when a team proves critics wrong. 

I remember those years well. Anthony Spencer's years were just as good as the Jaylon Smith years. Both those era's saw Luers beat Snider two years in a row. That's saying something. 

Rightfully so that we were hard on Luers. They got slaughtered by East Noble and New Haven in back to back weeks. They showed zero compete level at that time. Then they got some confidence playing the bottom feeders in the SAC, and those teams were absolutely awful, didn’t have to play Snider or Carroll, who would have obliterated them, played tough against 6A Homestead, and then ran thru a down 2A. 

Luers played very well in the tourney and are to be congratulated. They showed a high compete level and did what most of us expect them to do every year, be a front runner for a state title

2 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Rightfully so that we were hard on Luers. They got slaughtered by East Noble and New Haven in back to back weeks. They showed zero compete level at that time. Then they got some confidence playing the bottom feeders in the SAC, and those teams were absolutely awful, didn’t have to play Snider or Carroll, who would have obliterated them, played tough against 6A Homestead, and then ran thru a down 2A. 

Luers played very well in the tourney and are to be congratulated. They showed a high compete level and did what most of us expect them to do every year, be a front runner for a state title

Agree. 

2A south was definitely down this year.  The worst MD team in probably 30 years had NP beaten and let it slip away, with the help of a questionable NP TD and a missed 12 men on the field against NP on the 2 pt conversion in OT.  NP rolled everybody else in 2A.  Very well could have had a 2-7 regular season MD team playing Luers this past Saturday.

10 hours ago, Wildcat1992 said:

2A south was definitely down this year.  The worst MD team in probably 30 years had NP beaten and let it slip away, with the help of a questionable NP TD and a missed 12 men on the field against NP on the 2 pt conversion in OT.  NP rolled everybody else in 2A.  Very well could have had a 2-7 regular season MD team playing Luers this past Saturday.

Lots of discussion about how down 2A was this year. I thought it was the worst class of football in Indiana this year by a wide margin

13 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Lots of discussion about how down 2A was this year. I thought it was the worst class of football in Indiana this year by a wide margin

May have been in the Southern Region.  But in NE Indiana, you have to admit, that it must have given some pause when Eastside and Bluffton came to town?

Now that BLHS moves up to 3A, perhaps the Blazers/Tigers can carve out their own journey to LOS?  AC and SA may also have something to say....

2A, honestly is not a class that is "meaty" in this area.  FW has been wonderful in the classes beyond 2A for a decade.   It's just enrollment #'s that have made that so. 

Let's not forget the 2A juggernaut a few short years ago in the area was: Woodlan.  Before that Busco.  Before that....hmm. "BLHS"? 

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

May have been in the Southern Region.  But in NE Indiana, you have to admit, that it must have given some pause when Eastside and Bluffton came to town?

Now that BLHS moves up to 3A, perhaps the Blazers/Tigers can carve out their own journey to LOS?  AC and SA may also have something to say....

2A, honestly is not a class that is "meaty" in this area.  FW has been wonderful in the classes beyond 2A for a decade.   It's just enrollment #'s that have made that so. 

Let's not forget the 2A juggernaut a few short years ago in the area was: Woodlan.  Before that Busco.  Before that....hmm. "BLHS"? 

Eastside the last few years yes, not this year. Bluffton has improved greatly the last few years, but I did not see them beating Luers this year, some others did though.

Woodlan had some really good teams when Haydock was there, not so much after he left for Wayne. Churubusco was really good for a 5-10 year period and then the bottom fell out.

Really interested to see who steps out of the shadows with Luers gone for at least 2 years. My money is on Eastside, Adams Central, and Bluffton until someone proves differently 

Edited by Komets2727

6 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

Eastside the last few years yes, not this year. Bluffton has improved greatly the last few years, but I did not see them beating Luers this year, some others did though.

Woodlan had some really good teams when Haydock was there, not so much after he left for Wayne. Churubusco was really good for a 5-10 year period and then the bottom fell out.

Really interested to see who steps out of the shadows with Luers gone for at least 2 years. My money is on Eastside, Adams Central, and Bluffton until someone proves differently 

Ya know it was a 4 point game...  

Edited by Yuccaguy

9 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

I think you are very wrong. Like stated about the NE for 2A was very solid. LCC was only down a touchdown going into halftime against the state champions. That LCC team played a very good Rochester team that went toe to toe with them. Laville played an excellent game against LCC as well. Just eventually got worn out in the second half. That Laville team beat Andrean who has gone to state the last two years. They also beat the semistate runner up in 1A NJ Bluejays. Alexandria played Bluffton very tough first round of sectionals and everyone is saying Bluffton was the second best team in 2A. 

Just because you had two very solid programs in 1A that could punch above their weight class so to speak, doesn't mean the whole 1A was better than 2A. I think you could say that about a couple of teams in every class. Outside of Chatard's sectional in 3A, how many other sectionals could a couple of teams in 2A have won. My guess is they could have made some noise in a few. Same could be said about some teams in 3A if they played in 4A and so on. I think Snider could have been competitive in the North for 6A this year. 

Reflecting on the tournament as a whole, i don't think there was a class that was down compared to the others. I think overall this was a very balanced tournament across the board. Obviously there were some classes that you knew the winner before it started but each class had a solid top 10 teams for their class which is what you want. To say any class was the worst in Indiana is hard to do in my opinion. I saw a lot of good football in 2A, a lot more good than bad. I think the North in 2A just had a gap that was a lot greater than what the South had this year and it made people think 2A had one good team and that was all based on the state championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I think you are very wrong. Like stated about the NE for 2A was very solid. LCC was only down a touchdown going into halftime against the state champions. That LCC team played a very good Rochester team that went toe to toe with them. Laville played an excellent game against LCC as well. Just eventually got worn out in the second half. That Laville team beat Andrean who has gone to state the last two years. They also beat the semistate runner up in 1A NJ Bluejays. Alexandria played Bluffton very tough first round of sectionals and everyone is saying Bluffton was the second best team in 2A. 

Just because you had two very solid programs in 1A that could punch above their weight class so to speak, doesn't mean the whole 1A was better than 2A. I think you could say that about a couple of teams in every class. Outside of Chatard's sectional in 3A, how many other sectionals could a couple of teams in 2A have won. My guess is they could have made some noise in a few. Same could be said about some teams in 3A if they played in 4A and so on. I think Snider could have been competitive in the North for 6A this year. 

Reflecting on the tournament as a whole, i don't think there was a class that was down compared to the others. I think overall this was a very balanced tournament across the board. Obviously there were some classes that you knew the winner before it started but each class had a solid top 10 teams for their class which is what you want. To say any class was the worst in Indiana is hard to do in my opinion. I saw a lot of good football in 2A, a lot more good than bad. I think the North in 2A just had a gap that was a lot greater than what the South had this year and it made people think 2A had one good team and that was all based on the state championship.

1 hour ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I disagree. If you didn’t see LCC vs Luers in the semi-state from the beginning of the tourney not sure what to tell you. Please don’t even get me started on the South. There was quite a bit of banter amongst Luers and LCC fans how these were not even close to their best teams and they were shocked they got to semi-state, much less the winner going to state.

Great year for North Posey, but all it took for me was to see one possession offensively for them to know they had zero chance against Luers and it would end up a blowout.

Everyone knew from day 1 it would be Lutheran vs. Adams Central in 1A. No surprise there. Unlike some, I think Luers would beat both of them, but North Posey would get smoked by both teams

2A North was far superior to 2A South. Bluffton and Eastside were goodLCC was good as well. Top to bottom, 2A is better than 1A, but at the very top, 1A might be better

Edited by Komets2727

2 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

I disagree. If you didn’t see LCC vs Luers in the semi-state from the beginning of the tourney not sure what to tell you. Please don’t even get me started on the South. There was quite a bit of banter amongst Luers and LCC fans how these were not even close to their best teams and they were shocked they got to semi-state, much less the winner going to state.

Great year for North Posey, but all it took for me was to see one possession offensively for them to know they had zero chance against Luers and it would end up a blowout.

Everyone knew from day 1 it would be Lutheran vs. Adams Central in 1A. No surprise there. Unlike some, I think Luers would beat both of them, but North Posey would get smoked by both teams

I'm just confused. So because Lutheran and Adams Central could beat North Posey, that makes 2A the worst class in Indiana High School Football. LCC and Luers don't have some of their best teams, that makes 2A football terrible? Exactly how much 2A football outside of the Semistate and State Championship have you watched?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

I'm just confused. So because Lutheran and Adams Central could beat North Posey, that makes 2A the worst class in Indiana High School Football. LCC and Luers don't have some of their best teams, that makes 2A football terrible? Exactly how much 2A football outside of the Semistate and State Championship have you watched?

Quite a bit actually. What don’t you understand? There have been many years 2A football was really good and deep with 8-10 teams that could win a title. Not this year. Go back and watch 2A South and tell me that is good football. It’s not. Did it have some close games? Sure. Again, was it good football? 

I enjoy 1A and 2A football. I am not one of those people who bash on lower class football and think that 5A and 6A are the be all and end all. There have been so many great teams in 2A like Mater Dei, Luers, Eastside, LCC , etc… This year just was not one of those years. It happens

11 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Quite a bit actually. What don’t you understand? There have been many years 2A football was really good and deep with 8-10 teams that could win a title. Not this year. Go back and watch 2A South and tell me that is good football. It’s not. Did it have some close games? Sure. Again, was it good football? 

I enjoy 1A and 2A football. I am not one of those people who bash on lower class football and think that 5A and 6A are the be all and end all. There have been so many great teams in 2A like Mater Dei, Luers, Eastside, LCC , etc… This year just was not one of those years. It happens

While LCC might end up being a mainstay in 2A, they've really only been there for three seasons outside of their campus visit back in 2013/2014.  Such is the mystique of LCC ... they seem to have been eternal even though they are more recent.

36 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Triton Central, Linton Stockton, Brownstown Central...all good teams that played good football this year. North Posey only lost 10-0 to a Heritage Hills team that were the 3A runners up. Was 3A football in the south just not very good? 

What I don't understand is you saying 2A football wasn't good this year. The top 10 2A teams as a whole were better than the top 10 teams in 1A. If the list grows to 15 its still better than 1A. 20 still better. Same could be said when stacking up the 2A teams against 3A. and 3A against 4A. and 4A against 5A. So again no I don't understand how you can say 2A was the worst class in football this year. I don't know how you can say any of the classes had over 50% of their teams playing bad football. Were classes down in talent level from previous years? Yes, you can make the argument. Doesn't make it bad football. 

59 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Triton Central, Linton Stockton, Brownstown Central...all good teams that played good football this year. North Posey only lost 10-0 to a Heritage Hills team that were the 3A runners up. Was 3A football in the south just not very good? 

What I don't understand is you saying 2A football wasn't good this year. The top 10 2A teams as a whole were better than the top 10 teams in 1A. If the list grows to 15 its still better than 1A. 20 still better. Same could be said when stacking up the 2A teams against 3A. and 3A against 4A. and 4A against 5A. So again no I don't understand how you can say 2A was the worst class in football this year. I don't know how you can say any of the classes had over 50% of their teams playing bad football. Were classes down in talent level from previous years? Yes, you can make the argument. Doesn't make it bad football. 

No worries. Don’t want to argue about it, you have your opinion, which I respect, just see it differently

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 10:03 PM, Komets2727 said:

May not have been if the IHSAA split the classes up correctly. I've personally felt for years it should be 32 teams in 6A and 32 teams in 1A, then have 63 teams for 2A-5A. That would likely bolster 2A and 5A. I will do a mock up of what teams would have been in which class this year had that been done when I get a chance.

Typically when you hear from the p/p faithful that a particular class or conference is "down" they don't really mean what we poor public guys think they mean.  What they actually mean is that in said class or conference there aren't one or two P/Ps playing at a much higher than everyone else, which in their mind "should" be the case for the year to be normal.  When perhaps those years shouldn't be considered the baseline at all, and instead those teams should compete in a different class altogether where they might at least get a little friction.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

May not have been if the IHSAA split the classes up correctly. I've personally felt for years it should be 32 teams in 6A and 32 teams in 1A, then have 63 teams for 2A-5A. That would likely bolster 2A and 5A. I will do a mock up of what teams would have been in which class this year had that been done when I get a chance.

Something like that would have put the likes of Adams Central, Park Tudor, Covenant Christian, Carroll, and NJSP in 2A, but I'm not sure that, outside a couple of those, it would have propped up 2A much more than it was this year ... recall that Lutheran is in the bottom quarter of 1A by enrollment.

8 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Something like that would have put the likes of Adams Central, Park Tudor, Covenant Christian, Carroll, and NJSP in 2A, but I'm not sure that, outside a couple of those, it would have propped up 2A much more than it was this year ... recall that Lutheran is in the bottom quarter of 1A by enrollment.

Under that format, I believe East Central qualifies as 5A's smallest enrollment team. Snider vs East Central would have been interesting. 

When Lutheran dismantled Triton Central early on, and later seeing TC in person and their continued success to semistate, it was a sign to me that 2A may be suspicious. They are a decent team and program under Tim Able, but were driven by one superstar at that level. One player can only do so much, unless you are James Banks, who created absolute chaos.

5 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

100% agree with you

• 4 months later...