Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

The p/p hegemony continues unabated

5 hours ago, tango said:

LOL. I'm not sure that is the flex you think it is, Titan32, but hey, at least someone posted on the GID!!

The more I think about it, I should probably pick up a copy...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, foxbat said:

Just gotta worry about the unnecessary roughness call.

I’m out of reactions… but that made me spit out my drink. 

This is the content I am here for! 🤣

That form reminds me of the episode of Curb your Enthusiasm where Larry David stops a baptism because he thinks it’s an attempted drowning. 

Edited by oldtimeqb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Who's going to tell him that Lutheran isn't a Catholic high school?

forget_it_he_s_rolling-DMID1-5hiej78ui-250x250.gif.40bb4e127db2576f5ca8238b44d10f16.gif

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, tango said:

LOL. I'm not sure that is the flex you think it is, Titan32, but hey, at least someone posted on the GID!!

Wait until I post page 32....how to pretend as if you have no advantage in class-based HS athletics! LOL

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

IMG_9413.thumb.jpeg.ee9bf1edae6bbabbcc213acf60a30cff.jpeg

The money in question doesn’t come from public schools.  It comes from taxpayers who are taxed to fund K12 educations for the state’s kids.

Does it really matter where somebody chooses to get that education and have those dollars applied?

To me, it’s kind of like comparing Medicare to the VA.  With Medicare, you can use the public subsidy at the provider of your choice…whereas with the VA, you have to go to a VA provider.  They’re both tax-funded.  But it seems to me that the former model is preferable to the latter. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

IMG_9413.thumb.jpeg.ee9bf1edae6bbabbcc213acf60a30cff.jpeg

Maybe the worst analogy ever … since education is a fundamental right under the Indiana Constitution and, to my knowledge, golf isn’t.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Maybe the worst analogy ever … since education is a fundamental right under the Indiana Constitution and, to my knowledge, golf isn’t.

...............but it should be!  LOL

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Dinner was fundamentally guaranteed at my Dad's house. You either ate what was provided, starved, or paid for your own somewhere else. 

If they don't like the educational fundamental right the State provides, same rules should apply. 

Edited by gonzoron
  • Disdain 1

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Dinner was fundamentally guaranteed at my Dad's house. You either ate what was provided, starved, or paid for your own somewhere else. 

If they don't like the educational fundamental right the State provides, same rules should apply. 

In this analogy, your dad isn’t paying for it.  You are, your siblings are, everybody else at the table, etc.  Your dad just collects your money, uses it to buy groceries and pay a cook.

Governments (dad) literally have no money except that which they take from their people (those of you needing dinner).

• Like 1

The right isn’t fundamental when one chooses to purchase an enhanced version.  Once one steps out of the confines of what is fundamental, you have chosen the better option (the pay for play option).  Kind of like the seafood upgrade at the Buffett.  Your dollars provide and enhanced and improved service including inherent athletic and educational advantages. Privatization in its purest form.  Services rendered.  Fundamentals bypassed and unnecessary to support the business.  Let’s save the subsidies for stuff that fails like green energy.

8 hours ago, Titan32 said:

The right isn’t fundamental when one chooses to purchase an enhanced version.  Once one steps out of the confines of what is fundamental, you have chosen the better option (the pay for play option).  Kind of like the seafood upgrade at the Buffett.  Your dollars provide and enhanced and improved service including inherent athletic and educational advantages. Privatization in its purest form.  Services rendered.  Fundamentals bypassed and unnecessary to support the business.  Let’s save the subsidies for stuff that fails like green energy.

You’re missing the point. Whether people like it or not, P/Ps are an integral part of the state education system. Ask yourself what would happen if large numbers of P/P students decided to go to public schools instead. It costs $$ to educate each student. Vouchers for a P/P students cost the taxpayers significantly less than educating that student in public schools, not to mention the capital investment avoided. Vouchers for P/P students are a significant savings for the taxpayers compared to the alternative. Then, of course, there’s the “fairness” issue…

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

In this analogy, your dad isn’t paying for it.  You are, your siblings are, everybody else at the table, etc.  Your dad just collects your money, uses it to buy groceries and pay a cook.

Governments (dad) literally have no money except that which they take from their people (those of you needing dinner).

He had all the money. And none of us wanted Gouda when Government Cheese was readily available.

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

Says who?

Me, the non-entitled, non E-light taxpayer.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bobref said:

You’re missing the point. Whether people like it or not, P/Ps are an integral part of the state education system. Ask yourself what would happen if large numbers of P/P students decided to go to public schools instead. It costs $$ to educate each student. Vouchers for a P/P students cost the taxpayers significantly less than educating that student in public schools, not to mention the capital investment avoided. Vouchers for P/P students are a significant savings for the taxpayers compared to the alternative. Then, of course, there’s the “fairness” issue…

So the government should reward private businesses for not using their services?  Perhaps the government should subsidize your health insurance company for you not participating in Obamacare.  Is that where we are headed?  When you choose to pay for a customized enhanced service, you forfeit your rights.  That’s the point I think you’re missing. 

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

When you choose to pay for a customized enhanced service, you forfeit your rights.  That’s the point I think you’re missing. 

I’m not missing it. I just don’t agree with it. The analysis leading to that point of view is, superficial, as the ridiculous analogies that appear earlier in the thread demonstrate.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Titan32 said:

When you choose to pay for a customized enhanced service, you forfeit your rights.

With all due respect, that’s absurd.

So…somebody who buys (private) Medigap supplemental insurance loses their entitlement to regular Medicare benefits?

Somebody with a large 401k loses their entitlement to Social Security benefits?

A couple Canadian provinces actually tried to do something similar to this - prohibit privately contracted healthcare services…which effectively allow people with the means to not only skip the queue, but lengthen it for those without the means.  Their courts threw the laws out.

If somebody loses the access to a right because of sacrifices they’ve made to enhance their own lives, then it would be a misnomer to call that thing a right.

Edited by MHSTigerFan

1 hour ago, MHSTigerFan said:

With all due respect, that’s absurd.

So…somebody who buys (private) Medigap supplemental insurance loses their entitlement to regular Medicare benefits?

Somebody with a large 401k loses their entitlement to Social Security benefits?

A couple Canadian provinces actually tried to do something similar to this - prohibit privately contracted healthcare services…which effectively allow people with the means to not only skip the queue, but lengthen it for those without the means.  Their courts threw the laws out.

If somebody loses the access to a right because of sacrifices they’ve made to enhance their own lives, then it would be a misnomer to call that thing a right.

Come on man....if a private institution can't stand on its own feet then the government should subsidize it?  No one is keeping those attending a private institution from doing just that.  These institutions should receive ZERO tax dollars!  There is no right to it....that is just laughable. If you can afford to send your kid to one so be it, that's great....live with your choice and your unfair advantage in athletics.  Don't look to the government for help.  It's funny many of you guys identify as conservative, how hypocritical.  

• Like 2

I'm confused.  Is it November already?  I thought it was May with practices still a month away.  But this sounds like November belly-aching.  I guess there really is no offseason anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Come on man....if a private institution can't stand on its own feet then the government should subsidize it?  No one is keeping those attending a private institution from doing just that.  These institutions should receive ZERO tax dollars!  There is no right to it....that is just laughable. If you can afford to send your kid to one so be it, that's great....live with your choice and your unfair advantage in athletics.  Don't look to the government for help.  It's funny many of you guys identify as conservative, how hypocritical.  

So those people whose kids attend private schools should not have to pay school taxes to the district where they live? What about if one doesn’t have kids at all? Should they pay school taxes? Saying they should “lose their rights” kind of sounds like taxation without representation. Pretty sure that “right” was already fought over during a large tea party some years ago. You are wearing roller skates on a slippery slope here. What is the next step? Let those low income areas rot. To hell with the poors, the old, the infirm? Look out Porter Co with your paltry .005 county income tax rate. You guys might want to look into grouping up with the other low tax county to start your own league before “they” start coming after you for not pulling your weight. 

6 hours ago, Just a dad said:

So those people whose kids attend private schools should not have to pay school taxes to the district where they live? What about if one doesn’t have kids at all? Should they pay school taxes? Saying they should “lose their rights” kind of sounds like taxation without representation. Pretty sure that “right” was already fought over during a large tea party some years ago. You are wearing roller skates on a slippery slope here. What is the next step? Let those low income areas rot. To hell with the poors, the old, the infirm? Look out Porter Co with your paltry .005 county income tax rate. You guys might want to look into grouping up with the other low tax county to start your own league before “they” start coming after you for not pulling your weight. 

Thanks for letting us know that you have absolutely no idea how public school systems are funded. 

On 5/11/2024 at 12:44 PM, Titan32 said:

So the government should reward private businesses for not using their services?  Perhaps the government should subsidize your health insurance company for you not participating in Obamacare. 

Governments already provide tax breaks to companies that provide non-Obamacare health insurance benefits to their employees. I believe it is called the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit.