Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Reminder. Pioneer is.

9 hours ago, BoomBoomMcGee said:

I never thought I would ever see a 1A beat a 6A...2020 has been one for the books already!   😳

Has there ever been a 1A beating a 6A or 5A for that matter in the past, other than last night?

A little embarrassing for Chesterton and the Duneland Conference.

What impact will a loss like this have on the psyche of this team?  

Or do kids even think that way anymore?  Just another game?  Just anotherr team?

Just another loss?  No big deal?

1 hour ago, FCGriz said:

The other David versus Goliath game last night was New Albany (5A) at Eastern Hancock (a small 2A).  New Albany, who beat a pretty good Bloomington South team in week 1, held on to defeat the Royals 50-43!

In terms of size I would say it was David vs Goliath, as for NA I don’t believe they are a very good team. Maybe the 3rd best team in the HHC and its a pretty far gap between them and the top 2 teams in that conference. Was hoping the small school would pull it off. 

Yet another example why the simplistic primarily enrollment base classification system used by the IHSAA is flawed.  It's overwhelmingly about program, not size. 

And only a system of promotion and relegation  would crown a true Indiana state football champion.

• Like 2

Want to know a secret? Want to know why some teams seem to have a knack for winning the big games? 

It’s a mentality developed by searching out the best teams you can find to compete against. Competition like that takes away the fear of losing. And going into a big game, if there’s no fear of losing, chances are you’re going to win. 

Coach Berry and his program are awesome. I’m a big fan.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Woody_Hayes said:

Want to know a secret? Want to know why some teams seem to have a knack for winning the big games? 

It’s a mentality developed by searching out the best teams you can find to compete against. Competition like that takes away the fear of losing. And going into a big game, if there’s no fear of losing, chances are you’re going to win. 

I agree 100%!  It really doesn’t hurt to lose a regular season game.  And...if you don’t lose it, think about the confidence your team has gained from it.  It’s too bad some teams/programs/coaches hide behind beating up on all of the poor sisters all of the time...even when they have the cats to compete.  

1 hour ago, Woody_Hayes said:

Should Pioneer petition the NIC for membership? 

18 hours ago, Woody_Hayes said:

Exactly our thought process when we are able to set our summer schedule 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

I would assume Chesterton Schools have at least 3 junior highs and maybe 9 elementary schools.

Pioneer has one of each.  Kids have known each other for a very long time.

Chemistry comes much easier.

1 middle school, 1 intermediate school, and 5 elementary. Chesterton kids play together in Pop Warner from 5-12 years old then in middle school. They know each other as well as the Pioneer kids know each other. Coaching, execution, desire.......

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 2:19 PM, Muda69 said:

Yet another example why the simplistic primarily enrollment base classification system used by the IHSAA is flawed.  It's overwhelmingly about program, not size. 

And only a system of promotion and relegation  would crown a true Indiana state football champion.

The system is intended to have the worst team in one class to be better than the best team from the next class. That's a flaw in your expectation. There will always be teams in a lower class that can beat teams in a higher class. Just because you have a larger number of students doesn't mean you will always better. In a macro sense it will be true but not in a micro sense.

Sagarin isn't the best measure and may be skewed a little because of their win Friday, but Pioneer would be the 18th ranked team out of 32 in 6A.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JustRules said:

The system is intended to have the worst team in one class to be better than the best team from the next class. That's a flaw in your expectation. There will always be teams in a lower class that can beat teams in a higher class. Just because you have a larger number of students doesn't mean you will always better. In a macro sense it will be true but not in a micro sense.

Sagarin isn't the best measure and may be skewed a little because of their win Friday, but Pioneer would be the 18th ranked team out of 32 in 6A.

Agreed, this 'overlap' for lack of a better term will always be there.   But I firmly believe it will be minimized when enrollment is completely removed from the classification equation.