Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

6A TOURNEY PREDICTIONS

6A

NOTE: This is simply for fun and to generate discussion. This is how I predict the 6A postseason to pan out at this moment. Obviously it’s hard to predict every single game that is going to happen before sectionals have even started so this is just for fun. I’m sure some of my choices will change after week 1 of sectionals. Would love to see others predict their sectional winners and happily welcome anything anyone has to say about these picks. Let me know where you think I’m wrong at and if there’s something you strongly disagree with me about! Let’s all pray for a Covid-free postseason, all these teams to remain healthy and for some great football.

Sectional 1:

Lafayette Jeff and Merrillville will meet for the sectional title in what should be a great game. Jeff hasn’t been tested a whole lot this season but they’ve taken care of everyone they were supposed to. Merrillville hasn’t had a tough schedule either, other than their 45-28 loss to a very good Chatard team. Jeff’s strength is their O-Line and have a top 3 fastest kid in the state at RB. Merrillville has athletes all over the field and good size. Merrillville has a better roster but will they be as well coached and prepared as the Bronchos? Can Jeff get revenge for their 27-20 loss to the pirates last year in sectionals? I’m torn on this one. Jeff has 2 defensive lineman committed to Cincinnati and Eastern Michigan. Merrillville has ATH JoJo Johnson who is expected to commit to Michigan State soon and also have a DE committed to Bowling Green. My mind is telling me Merrillville but my heart tells me the Bronchos breakthrough and win only their 6th sectional title ever and first since 2002. Pat Shanley has one of the most impressive rebuilds in the state at Jeff and is building something special in Lafayette.

Prediction: Lafayette Jeff 42 Merrillville 40

Sectional 2: 

Penn and Elkhart should meet in the title game for what will be another great game. Elkhart defeated Penn 20-19 in week 5. It is great for the state and 6A football to have another great football program in the North like Elkhart. Can they take the Kingsman down for the second time this season?

Prediction: Penn 28 Elkhart 24

Sectional 3:

I think Carroll takes down Warsaw fairly easily and Homestead takes down Snider again. Homestead sent a message to 6A with a huge 70-41 win against Carroll week 7. I think this one will be closer and either team can absolutely win.

Prediction: Homestead 34 Carroll 21

Sectional 4:

HSE and Fishers meet again after HSE beating the tigers 21-9 in week 4. I’ll take HSE again in this one. Westfield should handle Noblesville easily in their game although Noblesville has been competitive all year and hasn’t lost an HCC game by more than 21 all year which is impressive despite a 2-7 record. Westfield played HSE week 5 with the rocks winning 14-3. Both teams are solid but I think Westfield is the best team in the north by a decent margin. I would be shocked if they don’t win by more than 11 this time around. But as always, anything can happen in high school football and HSE is certainly a good enough team to win this ballgame.

Prediction: Westfield 43 HSE 17

Sectional 5:

Pike vs Carmel round 2 will be very interesting. Carmel won 45-44 in 2OT week 4. Pike is 3-6 but a great football team. Full of athletes and have gotten so much better over the past couple of years. Carmel is 7-2 with losses to the 2 best teams in the state. I like them to win by 14+ in this game. Brownsburg vs Avon in a rematch where B’Burg won 47-29 in week 4. This is a rivalry game and anything can happen but Avon is having a down year compared to the past few years. Give me the bulldogs by 12-18. Brownsburg vs Carmel in the title game is a tremendous game. Brownsburg’a only loss is to Westfield in OT. Other than that game and the game against St. Xavier, they have dominated their opponents. Can one of the HCC’s top dogs take down one of MIC and the states premier programs? Carmel is playing great and I really don’t know what will happen in this game. It’s hard to pick Brownsburg due to recent MIC vs HCC matchups in the postseason in recent years.

Prediction: Carmel 37 Brownsburg 34

Sectional 6:

Ben Davis will have their way with Southport. Tech and Perry are probably 2 of the worst 3 teams in 6a. I guess I’ll take Tech since they have won football games this year. Ben Davis will rout Tech in the title game. Ben Davis beating North Central 42-20 in week 9 showed 6A they are not a team to be taken lightly despite a 4-5 record. Also took LN to overtime. No one should be sleeping on the giants this postseason.

Prediction: Ben Davis 66 Arsenal Tech 10

Sectional 7:

Somehow Lawrence North only beat Lawrence Central 28-21 earlier this year. This one will not be nearly as close. LN by 35+. Warren Central vs North Central is a rematch of NC beating the warriors 10-0 in week 2. While NC losing big last week to Ben Davis is surprising, I’m writing it off as just a bad night for them, they are still a great team. You’ve got to consider O’Shea a top 3 coach in the state with the job he’s done with NC. Already taken down many great MIC teams since he’s been there and them going 6-3 this year is extremely impressive. Warren is 2-5 this yet and obviously fielding one of their worst teams in a very long time. That being said, they are still Warren Central. They could very well win this game. Their offense has a tough task against NC. I’ll take NC by 14. Lawrence North vs North Central will be a rematch of a 27-21 win by the wildcats in week 4. My heart tells me LN is a significantly better football team with a lot more firepower. My mind reminds me the panthers still have Kevin O’Shea as their head football coach. Lawrence North’s competitive 28-13 loss to CG sways me enough to pick them in this game.

Prediction: LN 26 NC 21

Sectional 8:

CG is the best team in the state but they have shown they can be beat, despite being extremely dominant over some great teams. I think they’ll flex their muscle over Columbus North and win by 35+. Columbus East vs Franklin Central could be closer than some may think. CE hasn’t had a difficult game since week 3 but they have dominated like they were supposed to since then. FC is 1-8 and went winless in the HCC. Their 2 closes losses were 7-14 against HSE and 13-20 against Noblesville. Will their gauntlet of a schedule pay off in this game? Give me Columbus East by 21. Is Columbus East a trap game for CG? I don’t think so. CE is certainly a solid team but it’s hard to imagine them keeping this game within 3-4 scores.

Prediction: CG 45 CE 10

Regional 1: Lafayette Jeff vs Penn

This would be an interesting game and a matchup of 2 very different programs. Penn is one of Indiana’s most accomplished all time programs but has been on a decline recently. Lafayette Jeff is top 15 in all time wins but has hardly any postseason success to show for it. Jeff was awful for about a 10 year stretch until Shanley took over in 2016. Penn isn’t as good as they’ve been historically this season but they are still a good football team. I haven’t had the chance to watch time since they played Valpo week 1 but I thought they looked good back then.

Prediction: Lafayette Jeff 42 Penn 35

Regional 2: Homestead vs Westfield

I’ll always have great respect for non-Indy 5A and 6A schools who give the state some parity when it comes to the postseason. Homestead has impressive wins over Dwenger and Carroll but it’s hard to forget them almost losing to Noblesville last year in sectionals after also having a great regular season. Westfield is battle tested and i am extremely high on them. I think Westfield is just too talented and too well-coached to see a slip-up here. They have a special team this year.

Prediction: Westfield 55 Homestead 14

Regional 3: Carmel vs Ben Davis

Carmel beat Ben Davis 31-9 in week 7 of this year. Although I think Ben Davis is playing really well, I have a hard time seeing them keeping up with Carmel. The greyhounds are on a roll right now. Could Ben Davis win this game? Yes. Do i think they will? No.

Prediction: Carmel 38 Ben Davis 21

Regional 4: Lawrence North vs Center Grove

Rematch of the week 8 matchup when CG won 28-13. Everyone knows what each of these teams are capable of. LN’s QB/WR duo of Donaven McCulley and Omar Cooper is the best in that state. CG is fielding one of the states best D-Lines of all time along with a great backfield on offense. I can’t get a grip on how close this one would be. I love seeing dominant teams like CG run the table and go down in history but I love how electric LN’s offense is. I really hope these 2 meet again. I would love to pick LN to win this game and I think they are more than capable of doing that, but it would feel silly to me to choose CG to lose when they’ve risen to the occasion every game this year and then some.

Prediction: CG 42 LN 27

Semi-state: Westfield vs Lafayette Jeff

Most will not know this, but Jeff actually won the last meeting between these 2. They beat the Shamrocks 27-24 in sectionals in 2017. The prior two years, Westfield beat them 38-14 in 2015 sectionals and 46-27 in 2016 sectionals. Jeff has unfortunate luck with their placement in the Indiana state classes and sectionals. I believe they are the 2nd or 3rd smallest school of the 32 6a teams and prior to last year, were stuck in a sectional with Westfield, Carmel and Noblesville for 4 years. They could do some real damage if they were in 5a every year. Westfield has proven week after week they are the real deal this year. They went to state a few years ago and have consistently been a threat in the HCC and in the state tournament. They are the more talented team and going 8-0 in the HCC is incredibly impressive. They have one common opponent in Harrison (WL). Westfield beat Harrison 34-10 in week 2. Jeff beat Harrison 76-55 in week 4. I have a hard time imagining them losing this game against Jeff. They will give CG all they can handle in the state title game.

Prediction: Westfield 40 Lafayette Jeff 20

State championship: Westfield vs Center Grove

I am more confident in these 2 meeting up i the state game then a lot of the sectional games I had to pick. Westfield is blessed to be in the north and I think they are just simply a better team than anyone they would play up until this point. CG is going to have to go through a gauntlet to get here. But by now I think everyone knows how talented and good this team is. If they run the table and win a state title this year, they will go down as one of the best teams in Indiana in a very long time. If they are dominant and don’t have a game within, say 17 points or so the rest of the way, I would put them among top 10 best teams in Indiana of all time. But again, all that talk is for when the job is complete. As far as this game goes, it will be a brawl. Westfield will not back down from this game and have no reason to believe they can’t win this game. Jake Gilbert is a tremendous coach and I strongly believe his team will be in this game. I want to pick the Rocks to win this game, I really do. But you’re just not going to have me pick against CG at this moment in time. Depending on how these teams play in the postseason, I wouldn’t even shy away from picking Westfield to win this game if CG has some scares along the way and Westfield dominates their path. Westfield is that good and CG will have their hands full. With that being said, I’m riding with the Trojans in this one.

Prediction: Center Grove 24 Westfield 14

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Purdue Pete said:

I think ur substantially over rating Penn... unless they had injuries or covid issues earlier in the season.  Basically played even with 4A East Noble who will struggle to get out if 19

I don’t think so at all. Not that sagarin is the say-all in everything but they are 26th in state. I mean look at their route, I hope you don’t think they will lose to Portage. So then they will play Elkhart, who they lost to 20-19. I think you are underestimating them. 

1 hour ago, psaboy said:

Penn will not likely get to regional this year, unless the Rona knocks out Elkhart.

Also, Homestead has a hard time beating Snider, I think the Panthers may pull the upset next week. 

Penn only lost to Elkhart by 1, why do you think they don’t have a good chance? Penn has played better competition.

And homestead beat Snider 33-3, i haven’t watched either team but that’s enough for me to pick them to win again. But I’m sure there have been many examples of similar situations where a team loses by a lot in the regular season and comes back and wins in the tourney.

I agree until an HCC team actually does it, it’s hard to pick them against a MIC team. But if Brownsburg scores 34 points Carmel will not win.  This matchup will also be @ Brownsburg. 

Jeff has the same problem as last year.....  their NCC schedule. The Pirates should win. 

Yes Westfield is having a special season, but they aren’t THAT much better than Homestead. Westfield by a TD.

The Shamrocks put up a fight for 2 1/2 quarters,  but the greatest team in IHSAA history pulls away for a 17 point win. CG’s 1st of the anticipated 3-peat!

9 hours ago, Bears62 said:

Penn only lost to Elkhart by 1, why do you think they don’t have a good chance? Penn has played better competition.

And homestead beat Snider 33-3, i haven’t watched either team but that’s enough for me to pick them to win again. But I’m sure there have been many examples of similar situations where a team loses by a lot in the regular season and comes back and wins in the tourney.

Chesterton could be a closer game than most expect for Penn, IMO. Elkhart has beaten Columbus East on their turf and also beat Mishawaka. Yes, Penn has played Valpo and Cathedral and they are playing better now than earlier in season. I just think it is Elkhart's year for one reason or another. If both Elkhart and Penn win, Penn will be playing at Elkhart, not sure if that really matters or not?

I would throw out the 33-3 score from first meeting between Snider and Homestead. Don't take me wrong on this, Homestead is definitely the better team and should win. But I think if Snider plays like they have the past four games, get a few breaks and Homestead is a bit "off" Snider may have a change. 

• Like 1

Sectional 1: Lafayette Jeff over Merrillville

Sectional 2: Elkhart over Penn

Sectional 3: Homestead over Carroll

Sectional 4: Westfield Over HSE 

Sectional 5: Carmel Over Browmsburg

Sectional 6: Ben Davis over Perry

Sectional 7: Lawrence North over Warren

Sectional 8: Center Grove Over Columbus East

Regionals:

Elkhart over Jeff

Westfield over Homestead

Carmel over BD

CG over LN

Semi State:

Westfield over Elkhart

CG over Carmel

State Finals:

CG 31 Westfield 14

Sectional 1:  Merrillville over Lafayette Jeff

Sectional 2:  Elkhart over Penn

Sectional 3:  Homestead over Carroll

Sectional 4:  Westfield over HSE

Sectional 5:  Brownsburg over Carmel

Sectional 6:  Ben Davis over Perry Meridian

Sectional 7:  LN over North Central

Sectional 8:  Center Grove over Columbus East

Regionals:

Merrillville over Elkhart

Westfield over Homestead

Brownsburg over Ben Davis

Center Grove over LN

Semi-State:

Westfield over Merrillville

Center Grove over Brownsburg

State Championship Game:

Center Grove 24, Westfield 10

I have a feeling Carroll is going to get revenge on Homestead and take Sectional 3. And with their QB, they could make things really interesting against Westfield or make Caroll the favorite over HSE. Sectionals 1 and 2 should be highly competitive through Regionals. Jeff, The Ville, Penn, and Elkhart are all capable of beating each other.  

On 10/18/2020 at 2:42 AM, Staxawax said:

I agree until an HCC team actually does it, it’s hard to pick them against a MIC team. But if Brownsburg scores 34 points Carmel will not win.  This matchup will also be @ Brownsburg. 

I'm assuming you're saying this in relation to the tournament, and not overall, as the HCC has had success in recent seasons against the MIC in some non-conference games. And remember, Avon went to CG and won as recently as the 2017 regional championship. Fishers blew out MIC Lawrence Central for the 5A title in 2010, after beating Carmel in their sectional. Those are the examples that I can think of for now.

So it has happened.

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

I'm assuming you're saying this in relation to the tournament, and not overall, as the HCC has had success in recent seasons against the MIC in some non-conference games. And remember, Avon went to CG and won as recently as the 2017 regional championship. Fishers blew out MIC Lawrence Central for the 5A title in 2010, after beating Carmel in their sectional. Those are the examples that I can think of for now.

So it has happened.

Son, you don't have to lecture me on the history.  But, yes you are correct.  The fact of the matter is though, last year Avon/Brownsburg were 1 and 3 in the polls.  The Burg took Avon out in game 1, then let Zionsville take them out.  So the biggest opportunity up to that moment to get through the southern semistate was up in flames.  This year until Westfield beat the Burg, we were all waiting for that CG/Burg semistate showdown.  Now, not so much.  But if Brownsburg can't get by Carmel to even get that far, and then CG handles Westfield at LOS, then the HCC is still the not ready for prime time conference.

Yes, Fishers has a state championship. But MIC faithful will argue that it was a down year in 2010, and LC was not in the MIC at that time IIRC, and with the exception of CG and maybe Carmel, the same argument will be given this year.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm not predicting it, but I will not be shocked at all if the Burg takes down Carmel.

I'm surprised being an Avon guy you don't give some love to the HCC.  No, they are not yet top to bottom equal to the MIC in football, but continue to gain.  However, I'd say in all of the other sports combined, both boys and girls, they may be the best conference in the state. 

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm not predicting it, but I will not be shocked at all if the Burg takes down Carmel.

I'm surprised being an Avon guy you don't give some love to the HCC.  No, they are not yet top to bottom equal to the MIC in football, but continue to gain.  However, I'd say in all of the other sports combined, both boys and girls, they may be the best conference in the state. 

I've given Avon plenty of love for the last 20 or so years.  They have a dynamic offense this year, but the defense blows.  In 2015, we took out Cathedral in 2 OT's in the regional and lost to an undefeated CG squad in 2 OT's on the road for semistate.  I'm just glad the 'Rocks are seemingly the new giant in the conference. I doubt we'll ever surpass the MIC in football, or basketball, but as you say with the rest of the sports the HCC is top notch.  Take Carmel out of the MIC and there would be no question who's better.

• Thanks 1

Sectional 1: Merrillville beats out Jeff in a close one for the title.

Sectional 2: Penn gets revenge on Elkhart in the final.

Sectional 3: Homestead handles Carroll again to get to the regional.

Sectional 4: Westfield easily, beating Hamilton Southeastern in the final.

Sectional 5: Brownsburg over Carmel in a barn burner.

Sectional 6: Ben Davis easily.

Sectional 7: Lawrence North gets revenge on North Central in the rematch. 

Sectional 8: Center Grove cruises.

Regionals:

Merrillville over Penn by 2 TDs

Westfield over Homestead by 4 TDs

Brownsburg over Ben Davis by 3 TDs

CG over Lawrence North by 4 TDs

Semistate:

Westfield over Merrillville by 2 TDs

CG over Brownsburg by 3 TDs

State:

CG over Westfield by 3 TDs

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Warren Central Warrior said:

Warren Central wins Sectional 7!!! The Warriors are Regional bound after defeating Lawrence North 21-7.

This.  Right.  Here.  is why you don't count out Ben Davis or Warren Central in the tournament.  Warren, in back-to-back weeks, defeats two of the best teams in Indiana, just after everyone, or most everyone, had written them off.  Now, WC is in the Regional, along with Ben Davis. 

In other news, it's once again a disappointing tournament for the HCC.  1 guaranteed champion in 6A, and that's all they managed.  

• Thanks 1