Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

How cold is too cold?

22 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Coldest for me was Nov. 10, 2006. Regional at New Prairie, hosting Norwell. Temps in the low 50s when we got there. We finished our pregame and got dressed. When we walked out of the school, the temperature had dropped 20 degrees and it started raining. We went back in, changed to our cold/wet weather gear and went back out. The rain was coming down sideways from the start and the temperature kept dropping. The field was a quagmire. By the time we got out there for the 2nd half, the mud ruts in the field had started to freeze. There’s cold, and then there’s wet cold. Norwell had a QB named Chandler Harnish who went on to great things at Northern Illinois. On that field, he just couldn’t be stopped. After the game, I took my white knickers and striped socks and just threw them in the trash. 

We were at Pioneer that night for the regional.  All I can say is I was glad I packed for the cold and rain, because most people didn't.  I do remember the Panther stands were nearly empty in the middle of the second half as we ended up winning 40-6.

25 minutes ago, DE said:

How did you get back and forth to school and field in time?  That walk is awful in itself.

Did they at least have a golf cart/gator/dog sled for you 5?

My memory’s not that good. Don’t remember how we got to the field. I do remember we skated back to the locker room on the ice.

If us Texas boys can have a playoff game with 35 degrees at kickoff, 20 mph wind and light but steady rain, and enjoy the heck out of it.....  Another game, quarter-final I believe, was played a day after a bad ice storm.  There was still a layer of ice on the bleachers because it didn't get warm enough during the day to melt it off the aluminum.  Road conditions were not great, but manageable.  They put sand on the parts of the bleachers you walk on and chipped as much ice as they could off of the parts where you sit.  Kickoff temp was 29 with 20-30 mph wind.  Both teams, 2A schools, filled the 4A neutral site bleachers about 3/4 full - both home & visitor sides.  Probably 1/3 of the kids on each team played with bare arms (mostly linemen).  It was one of the best, competitive playoff games I've been to.   Both crowds were super into it and the concession stand probably made a fortune off hot chocolate sales.  Those weren't the only games (mostly playoffs) played in cold, nasty conditions.

If we can handle the above, I'd expect more from my home state.

Edited by Bonecrusher
  • Like 1

My coldest: Regional Championship, 11/10/2017 in Fort Wayne against Luers, back when I was on Reggie Glon's staff at Mishawaka Marian. 24 degrees at kickoff with a nice steady 10mph wind according to the Google. I was on the press box (ON the press box) and it was so cold that the HUDL iPad froze probably a minute into the second half. Considered jumping off the back of that press box several times that night.

Edited by Cheez
Added the preface "My coldest:" to my story

It wasn't the coldest night but the most uncomfortable I was at a game was at Brebeuf last year.  It was 60 degrees or so late in the afternoon and dropped to around 40 degrees and no one was dressed for the dramatic temperature drop.  Not only was it getting colder, but a steady rain turned into a downpour.  Cathedral won the game 21-7, which was the only good thing about that night.

I also remember a night in the playoffs at Bloomington High in 1973.  We passed around a flask and it was still miserably cold that night.  It was the night Cathedral broke Bloomington's 60 game winning streak, so it was well worth it though.

7 hours ago, Bobref said:

Coldest for me was Nov. 10, 2006. Regional at New Prairie, hosting Norwell. Temps in the low 50s when we got there. We finished our pregame and got dressed. When we walked out of the school, the temperature had dropped 20 degrees and it started raining. We went back in, changed to our cold/wet weather gear and went back out. The rain was coming down sideways from the start and the temperature kept dropping. The field was a quagmire. By the time we got out there for the 2nd half, the mud ruts in the field had started to freeze. There’s cold, and then there’s wet cold. Norwell had a QB named Chandler Harnish who went on to great things at Northern Illinois. On that field, he just couldn’t be stopped. After the game, I took my white knickers and striped socks and just threw them in the trash. 

I second this. The coldest I've EVER been. Watching Harnish run wild didn't warm me up either.

On 11/13/2020 at 10:14 AM, PHJIrish said:

Yep!  If it's too cold for you, just stay home.  Because it's football!

Not about me. Its about the children.

Same kids that play soccer and baseball. They postpone due to cold, right?

Whats different about football

I'm just looking for a serious number. How cold before its too cold.

On 11/13/2020 at 2:24 AM, TheStatGuy said:

Id say itd have to be in negatives. 

I hear you. For me?   ....A forecast of 15 degrees or below for a night game?  With temps in the 30s the next day?? 

Move it to daylight the next day.  I think its a realistic thought. 

And its not just the boys and coaches at football games. I would never make my children stand outside 2 hours in 15 degree weather. 

chilly smiles (11-1-19) at LC - 2.jpg

The coldest I've ever been a part of was probably the 2000 Semi-State at Ben Davis. I believe the temps were in the mid 20's with a strong wind. It snowed during the game. 

I think the only way games get postponed (by weather) is in the case of like Biblical rain or snow or in warmer times, lightning.

Edited by BDGiant93

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Not about me. Its about the children.

Same kids that play soccer and baseball. They postpone due to cold, right?

Whats different about football

I'm just looking for a serious number. How cold before its too cold.

Football players are always warm, as they have pads and uniforms to keep them that way.  That's a lot different than baseball, and especially soccer.  Besides, when you're young and fired up the weather is not as important to you as it is the older folks.  That's my honest opinion.

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Football players are always warm, as they have pads and uniforms to keep them that way.  That's a lot different than baseball, and especially soccer.  Besides, when you're young and fired up the weather is not as important to you as it is the older folks.  That's my honest opinion.

Fair enough.

By the way, does the big, green team (Valparaiso) have a chance against the Fighting Irish in 2 weeks? 

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Fair enough.

By the way, does the big, green team (Valparaiso) have a chance against the Fighting Irish in 2 weeks? 

None.  I'm not sure they beat Zionsville.   But assuming they do get by that one, Irish by 21 in the title game. 

11/18/2016 didn't start out as the coldest, but probably became the coldest towards the end in Monroe for the Pioneer vs Adams Central semi state contest. It had been a really warm and nice day, but the travel pushed it to a 7:30 kickoff and that was delayed to the storm that rolled through. We were sent to the school along with Pioneer fans that had made it early. The rest of them had traveled with the monsoon of heavy rain, wind, lightning, and thunder. The wind mixed with the driving rain and a 25 or 30+ drop in temperature made it chilly/pneumonia type weather. Playing probably wasn't too bad, but spectating was not great. I remember not being able to feel my legs as I was trying to walk down the bleachers soaked and shaking. Outside of that, maybe the 2000 semi state win over North White, but I was pretty pumped up as a 4th grade fan for that one with my buddies. As a player, semi state practice in 2005 on a Tues/Wed before playing Sheridan. We actually moved practice to the east of the school to get a wind break.

If you don’t like the cold, play baseball.  I love that Indiana has four seasons and I seriously doubt hypothermia has occurred much.

3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Fair enough.

I think it will be a good one.

15 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I will offer this piece of advice, if you have a kid that plays college baseball or softball in the state of Indiana, buy a good winter coat. 

I was a fast pitch softball catcher in my younger days and I once caught an early spring game in snow showers.  It was hard to pick up the ball at time it was snowing so hard.  It was fun to talk about after the game though.😉