Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

2A State Championship: Mater Dei vs Andrean


Recommended Posts

After a 7 year hiatus, the Wildcats are back at LOS looking for a 2nd State Championship.  This will be the third weekend in a row for the Wildcats & their fans to make the long drive to the Indy area for a football game.  So far, Mater Dei has shown no ill-effects from the nearly 4 hour bus rides and the 'Cats are playing their best football of the season. 

Do they have enough left in the tank for one more trip?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, tango said:

MD is peaking at the right time. I'll be looking forward to hearing about Andrean.

We are driving up on Friday.  If you will be in Indy for any of the games, let us know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

After a 7 year hiatus, the Wildcats are back at LOS looking for a 2nd State Championship.  This will be the third weekend in a row for the Wildcats & their fans to make the long drive to the Indy area for a football game.  So far, Mater Dei has shown no ill-effects from the nearly 4 hour bus rides and the 'Cats are playing their best football of the season. 

Do they have enough left in the tank for one more trip?  

I would have thought they looked into "private jet" with the cost of gas currently!

As @Donnie Bakerwould say Madder Days is looking good, I swear to god they are! Or is it Mayder Dei? 🤣😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I would have thought they looked into "private jet" with the cost of gas currently!

As @Donnie Bakerwould say Madder Days is looking good, I swear to god they are! Or is it Mayder Dei? 🤣😂

Or even "Matt-Ter Day" - Yeah, you would think the announcers would at least know how to pronounce the names of the schools involved.....sheesh.  Not too much to ask.  Maybe @DonnieBaker can send them a sound bite so they get it right this week.  He would set them straight, no doubt.. I swear to God, he would.  😎

Edited by MDAlum82
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Or even "Matt-Ter Day" - Yeah, you would think the announcers would at least know how to pronounce the names of the schools involved.....sheesh.  Not too much to ask.  Maybe @DonnieBaker can send them a sound bite so they get it right this week.  He would set them straight, no doubt.. I swear to God, he would.  😎

I kind of like the Mayder Dei! You all could come up with some Mater shirts for State

Mater: Yeah, like “tuh-mater”, but without the...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess almost nobody does the gridiron anymore for 2A. I expected some good opinions and info on the game but almost nothing. I expect MD defense to be ready and control the game. Hopefully put some pressure on the QB and disrupt their passing game. Going to be a tough game and the Wildcats come out on top. 
Go MD!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice human interest article on the Boots family from Mater Dei.  The 3 brothers mentioned are just one branch of this family tree, there are many others.  I don't know the exact numbers but I think there have been nearly 2 dozen young men from the Boots family to pass through the MD program over the decades.  

https://www.14news.com/2021/11/24/boots-family-football-legacy-lives-mater-dei/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Bigsky said:

I guess almost nobody does the gridiron anymore for 2A. I expected some good opinions and info on the game but almost nothing. I expect MD defense to be ready and control the game. Hopefully put some pressure on the QB and disrupt their passing game. Going to be a tough game and the Wildcats come out on top. 
Go MD!!!!

Bigsky, I'm a little to nervous about the matchup to be making any predictions other than it is going to take a monumental effort and some breaks to go our way to win this one. We will have to play our best game of the year no question about that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I have been flip flopping on this one, as well as the 3A game all week.

Andrean has the best player on the field but Mater Dei has the best team on the field.

I think this one is a classic.

I will take Andrean 17-14.

I hope having the best coaching staff will trump the best player and they will have an answer that doesn't leave them vulnerable somewhere else. Both teams play similar games. I think it comes down to which team  handles the passing game. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be interested to see which team controls the line of scrimmage. Both teams have great size up front on both sides of the ball. Andrean has some cats at the skilled positions, so Mater Dei is going to have to be solid in the secondary. Don't know much about their secondary, but they didn't make it to Lucas Oil just because of their front 7 I'm assuming. I like Andrean in a low scoring affair, but that's just because someone has to lose. Could easily go either way. Good luck to both teams, hopefully everyone traveling gets to and from the game safely, and its an injury free fun game to watch. Man I love Thanksgiving Week in Indiana!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Bigsky said:

I hope having the best coaching staff will trump the best player and they will have an answer that doesn't leave them vulnerable somewhere else. Both teams play similar games. I think it comes down to which team  handles the passing game. 

Jimmy’s and Joe’s beat X’s and O’s…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously, Andrean will have the most highly recruited and highly touted player on the field but MD has some players too. Football is the ultimate team sport, so while one guy can make a big difference, he can't do it all. Scheme will come into play as well and hopefully MD has enough Jimmy's and Joe's to get the job done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Spitting Llamas said:

Obviously, Andrean will have the most highly recruited and highly touted player on the field but MD has some players too. Football is the ultimate team sport, so while one guy can make a big difference, he can't do it all. Scheme will come into play as well and hopefully MD has enough Jimmy's and Joe's to get the job done. 

Agree partially, especially at the 1A/2A levels.  Some names are escaping me right now, but how often can you look back on state championship runs at this level and point to one guy that made THE difference on one or both sides of the ball simply because they were so much better than everyone on the field?

Zachary

Smith

Wright

Anthrop

Kiser 

Wilson

 

 

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, temptation said:

Agree partially, especially at the 1A/2A levels.  Some names are escaping me right now, but how often can you look back on state championship runs at this level and point to one guy that made THE difference on one or both sides of the ball simply because they were so much better than everyone on the field?

Zachary

Smith

Wright

Anthrop

Kiser 

Wilson

 

 

Not small school football, but James Banks from Ben Davis.  He was THE difference.

IMSC, was by far the best player on O (QB), D (DB---followed Samardzija all game) and ST (punter---best HS punter I have ever seen).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Putting on my Captain Obvious hat, I think this game can go either way and the team that makes the fewest mistakes, likely wins.  Both offenses can run & pass well enough to put pts on the board and both D's are strong upfront with a crew of LBs who fly to ball and make plays all over the field.  I think Victory will ultimately rest on the Defensive side of the ball.  As another poster already pointed out, this game could come down to whichever team can limits the other's passing game.  

My hope is that MD can find a way to get an extra stop, force a TO, or benefit from a miscue by Andrean and find a way to put 1 more point on the board.  It has been a long drought for the Wildcats at LOS but hopefully we can find enough magic to bring it home again.  MD 24 - 21. 🦁

Hoping all fans travel safely and we get a well-played and injury free game for all involved.  Peace.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Titan Fan said:

I’m not superstitious but the first 3 championship games were won by teams in dark jerseys and 2 of the 3 team colors were maroon and gold. I have to go with the maroon and gold dark jerseys in this one too. Let’s go Mater Dei. 

... also all south bracket teams won... lets hope the north can even things up today !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...