Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

21-22 DOE Enrollments

5 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I am legitimately asking this since I am not all that familiar with the area... "White flight" from a school district that's one of the smallest in size geographically? Where are they moving? Literally just a few blocks over to Lake Central or Highland?

Highlands enrollment continues to drop.  The majority of migration in The Region is southbound .  The only schools gaining enrollment in the area are Crown Point and  Hanover Central.  Lake Central growth has flattened out, but still increasing slightly.  Griffith families are moving out after their kids graduate and new families are not moving in to replenish the enrollment.  Highland enrollment peaked at 2300 in the early 80s and is close to 1000 now.  Griffith peaked at approx 1450 and is now 600.  Both are aging communities that are now primarily destinations for minorities who are looking to escape from Hammond, East Chicago and Gary.  If Highland enrollment continues to drop, it may be the next candidate for the GSSC in 5 to 10 years.  

On 1/21/2022 at 4:55 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

You're joking right? There's no reason why the IHSAA would put Ben Dvais in Sectional 8 and move Center Grove to Sectoinal 6 unless I'm completely missing something here. Sorry if I am.

Yes. I'm joking. BD was put in with LC/LN and Warren for two years in 2017 and 2018. There was no sense in that one, either. Avon/BD/Brownsburg and Pike makes sense when it is possible.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:55 PM, temptation said:

I think he was being sarcastic.

Glad you understand me by now. HAHA🤣

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:01 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Using these numbers (and depending on what happens with Cathedral) here are the options I see for 6A sectionals:

With no Cathedral in 6A...

Sectional 1: Crown Point, Harrison (WL), Lafayette Jeff, Lake Central
Sectional 2: Elkhart, Penn, Portage, Warsaw
Sectional 3: Carroll (FW), Homestead, Noblesville, Northrop
Sectional 4: Carmel, Fishers, Hamilton SE, Westfield

Sectional 5: Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, North Central, Zionsville
Sectional 6: Avon, Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Pike
Sectional 7: Perry Meridian, Southport, Tech, Warren Central
Sectional 8: Center Grove, Columbus North, Franklin Central, Jeffersonville

With Cathedral in 6A...

6A South stays the same, you just sub in Cathedral for Zionsville.

Sectional 5: Cathedral, Lawrence Central, Lawrence North, North Central
Sectional 6: Avon, Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Pike
Sectional 7: Perry Meridian, Southport, Tech, Warren Central
Sectional 8: Center Grove, Columbus North, Franklin Central, Jeffersonville

The issue in 6A North with Cathedral in 6A is at least two teams between Zionsville, Westfield, Noblesville, Fishers, HSE and Carmel will HAVE to go to sectionals 1-3 somewhere. There are only 10 schools north of those schools, so 2 will have to go that way for their sectionals. My best guess is the "northern" most of that grouping is Noblesville and Westfield. Noblesville has been in a sectional with Fort Wayne schools in the past, so that makes sense for them to definitely be 1 of the schools heading WAY north. Westfield having to go a long way up Highway 31 to be included in Sectional 3 seems crazy, but the only other logical option would be to send Zionsville up Highway 65 with Laf Jeff and 2 region schools.

2 options as I see it:

Sectional 1: Crown Point, Lafayette Jeff, Lake Central, Portage
Sectional 2: Elkhart, Penn, Warsaw, Westfield
Sectional 4: Carmel, Fishers, Hamilton SE, Zionsville

Sectional 1: Crown Point, Lafayette Jeff, Lake Central, Zionvsille
Sectional 2: Elkhart, Penn, Portage, Warsaw
Sectional 4: Carmel, Fishers, Hamilton SE, Westfield

Anything different than either of these two options would come from breaking up schools that normally the IHSAA has not done in the past. Something crazy like this could work, but doesn't seem likely

Sectional 1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Penn, Portage
Sectional 2: Elkhart, Lafayette Jeff, Northrop, Warsaw
Sectional 3: Carroll (FW), Fishers, Hamilton SE, Homestead
Sectional 4: Carmel, Noblesville, Westfield, Zionsville

See what I mean? That's just really messy. I think they obviously keep these "pods" together when it comes to the North

Lake Central and Crown Point (2)
Penn and Elkhart (2)
Carroll, Homestead and Northrop (3)
Fishers and HSE (2)

That's 9 of 16 6A North schools that I feel like the IHSAA always trieds to keep together. Another random options could be:

Sectional 1: Crown Point, Lake Central, Penn, Portage
Sectional 2: Elkhart, Carroll (FW), Homestead, Northrop
Sectional 3: Lafayette Jeff, Noblesville, Warsaw, Westfield
Sectional 4: Carmel, Fishers, Hamilton SE, Zionsville

I think this will be the serious topic in regards to the sectionals of 6A. It has serious implications. The south is pretty much standard and set if you ask me. The 6 North side of Indy schools makes it very difficult. I find it hard to believe Zionsville and Carmel get split up. But, Westfield is right there as well. It has to be split somehow. 

And this is all assuming Cathedral is 6A which I believe should and will be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Curious, is there any word on if they are freezing it for one more year? Or reclassifying? Needs to be reclassified now!

Haven’t seen anything official, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the IHSAA delays reclassification for one more year.

I don't think I have seen any type of press release officially saying reclassification will take place.  However, based on the most recent minutes from the executive meeting I do think they are going to reclassify.

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/about ihsaa/minutes/2021-22/011322.pdf

23) FOR THE GOOD OF THE ORDER  A detailed report for IHSAAtv.org will be presented at the February Executive Committee meeting.  The IHSAA Executive Committee summer retreat is scheduled for June 21-23 at a location to be determined.  The IHSAA is still awaiting final enrollment numbers from the Indiana Department of Education for purposes of reclassification and realignment.  Regrettably, Rae Ferriell-Woolpy of Richmond High School has resigned her position on the IHSAA Board of Directors for personal reasons. The IHSAA thanks her for her nine years of service and wishes her all the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with one of the ADs on the committee over the weekend at wrestling semi state, he stated that they have the 2nd set of enrollment numbers now from the DOE.  Will be checking them with the 1st set of DOE numbers to see if there are any numbers that do not match up.  If there is no funny business, they should have the new set of classifications by the end of the month or the start of March.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Julio said:

Spoke with one of the ADs on the committee over the weekend at wrestling semi state, he stated that they have the 2nd set of enrollment numbers now from the DOE.  Will be checking them with the 1st set of DOE numbers to see if there are any numbers that do not match up.  If there is no funny business, they should have the new set of classifications by the end of the month or the start of March.

Ah, a 5 minute job in two weeks.  Classic!  🙂. Thanks for the information.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/11/2022 at 4:22 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

Yep. I asked him about it on Twitter and he never responded. However, there’s an IHSAA executive meeting next Friday so I’d expect a decision no later than that. Then again, who really even knows?

Any one hear anything regarding reclassification come out of the IHSAA executive meeting on Friday?

8 hours ago, FlyingHigh said:

Any one hear anything regarding reclassification come out of the IHSAA executive meeting on Friday?

I checked the IHSAA website. They usually post the meeting notes on there. Didn’t find them listed. Either they didn’t have the meeting or they’re delayed in getting the notes up.

I am not sure if I asking this right but here goes.  Why not want until the new school starts to do the reclass.  At the start at the school year all school must report their  numbers.  Then then ihsaa can reclass ever one. I fell this  way you would get more true numbers on kids at the school who could play then using  the years befores numbers where the seniors are already gone, and you get the freshmen class that is coming in to the school.  

34 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I am not sure if I asking this right but here goes.  Why not want until the new school starts to do the reclass.  At the start at the school year all school must report their  numbers.  Then then ihsaa can reclass ever one. I fell this  way you would get more true numbers on kids at the school who could play then using  the years befores numbers where the seniors are already gone, and you get the freshmen class that is coming in to the school.  

Because you cannot wait to reclassify based on enrollment at the beginning of the school year when fall sports would need to know which class they are competiting in that season. Doing so halfway through the school year allows time for sectional groupings for ALL sports to be created prior to the next school year. It would be too much of a time crunch to figure it all out at the beginning of a school year for all sports.

11 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Because you cannot wait to reclassify based on enrollment at the beginning of the school year when fall sports would need to know which class they are competiting in that season. Doing so halfway through the school year allows time for sectional groupings for ALL sports to be created prior to the next school year. It would be too much of a time crunch to figure it all out at the beginning of a school year for all sports.

Do they?  Or is the IHSAA just incapable or unwilling to do it?

Illinois determines classifications, seeding, and brackets in one weekend yet for some reason Indiana can't? 

If we had district play, i.e. everyone in sectional 22 has to play a round-robin schedule or only the top 4 teams from sectional 47 (I'm just using random sectional numbers) qualified, then maybe it would be the case. 

A computer algorithm that would take an input file with 320 schools, enrollments, and locations and would classify by size and then draw sectionals to minimize distance would be college senior-level project for a Computer Science major.  But we wouldn't get Roncalli vs Cathedral or Chatard every first round game if we used a program to determine sectionals.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I mean - I guess you DON'T have to know at the beginning of the season for the fall sports, but I guess I do not think it's a big deal that the IHSAA reclassifies every two years in the late winter/early spring based on that year's enrollments. In the end, it only affects like 20-30 schools at most every year (those schools on each class threshold's).

19 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I mean - I guess you DON'T have to know at the beginning of the season for the fall sports, but I guess I do not think it's a big deal that the IHSAA reclassifies every two years in the late winter/early spring based on that year's enrollments. In the end, it only affects like 20-30 schools at most every year (those schools on each class threshold's).

I hope it didn't come across like I was trying to go all Juwan Howard on you, I am just expressing frustration over the lack of urgency on IHSAA's part to announce classifications.   As Robert said above - seems like a five minute job and they are taking months to do it. 

• Haha 1