Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5A State Championship Snider (12-1) vs. Decatur Central (11-2)

Saw DC play Harrison in sectional championship.  Quick backs with decent amount of misdirection.  Get to the outsides quickly after drawing outside linebackers in.  Outside backers/ends have to play disciplined ball or they'll run up and down the field on you.  Workhorse is Berry and you'll see him a bunch in the middle.  Dodo is really fast and gets to outside quickly.  Just when you've finally figured out what they'll do, Polston takes off with the ball. 

Passing game isn't great ... QB rating's in the 80s, but they are effective.  Don't throw a bunch of long balls, but tend to get a a lot of +1 passes off ... i.e., on 3 and 5, the pass is getting 6 or 7, if it's 3rd and 3, the pass is getting 4 or 5.  Do have to watch for the long ball though as, they do have a play when they get your safeties looking into the backfield after a few running plays in a row and then sneak a back downfield for a long ball.  Matter of fact, Berry put up over 140 yards rushing on Harrison and got his lone TD on a long pass play ... his only catch of the game.

Kicker is really good.  Expect touchbacks most of the night.  Expect 2 out of every three kickoffs to be on-the-fly touchbacks.  Most of the rest are going to see the receiver fielding the ball around the 5 or so.  Leads 5A in the state in both kickoff ranking and kick scoring ranking and is #2 in PAT percentage.

6 hours ago, foxbat said:

Saw DC play Harrison in sectional championship.  Quick backs with decent amount of misdirection.  Get to the outsides quickly after drawing outside linebackers in.  Outside backers/ends have to play disciplined ball or they'll run up and down the field on you.  Workhorse is Berry and you'll see him a bunch in the middle.  Dodo is really fast and gets to outside quickly.  Just when you've finally figured out what they'll do, Polston takes off with the ball. 

Passing game isn't great ... QB rating's in the 80s, but they are effective.  Don't throw a bunch of long balls, but tend to get a a lot of +1 passes off ... i.e., on 3 and 5, the pass is getting 6 or 7, if it's 3rd and 3, the pass is getting 4 or 5.  Do have to watch for the long ball though as, they do have a play when they get your safeties looking into the backfield after a few running plays in a row and then sneak a back downfield for a long ball.  Matter of fact, Berry put up over 140 yards rushing on Harrison and got his lone TD on a long pass play ... his only catch of the game.

Kicker is really good.  Expect touchbacks most of the night.  Expect 2 out of every three kickoffs to be on-the-fly touchbacks.  Most of the rest are going to see the receiver fielding the ball around the 5 or so.  Leads 5A in the state in both kickoff ranking and kick scoring ranking and is #2 in PAT percentage.

Sounds like Snider will have their hands full. I'll go Snider by 6

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Heck yeah

It won't be anything like the 2015 game. I'm thinking whoever scores 28 first wins. Snider's defense in 2015 was probably less than average by Snider historical standards. This one ranks pretty high. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

It won't be anything like the 2015 game. I'm thinking whoever scores 28 first wins. Snider's defense in 2015 was probably less than average by Snider historical standards. This one ranks pretty high. 

Well, I am always pulling for Snider. Unless, you are across the field from us that given Friday night. 

Win, so we can be in 6A together. 

14 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Well, I am always pulling for Snider. Unless, you are across the field from us that given Friday night. 

Win, so we can be in 6A together. 

Not gonna lie. I'd love to see Snider rumble with Penn in the playoffs like old times. 

Snider 28 - Decatur Central 14

I think this will be an excellent game. Decatur likes to run the ball, but is very capable of passing the ball as well. When passing, they prefer the short, quick passes. QB is a capable passer. Defensively, they are quick to the ball. Looks they are vulnerable in the secondary. Like Merrillville, they will try and take Buchanan away, but that makes Billingsley even more dangerous. Snider has sprinkled some option recently, it could get more frequent in this game. I believe the difference in this game is Snider’s defense. We shall see what happens

6 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Back when they would play in the sectionals.  Snider had our number for soooo many seasons...

There's actually a cartoon about that the South Bend Tribune put out regarding that. Overall, Penn has a slight advantage over Snider in the win column, but you're right, there was a period where Penn would blow through the regular season unblemished before running into Snider. The 90's I believe. Ironically, isn't that when Penn was winning state championships? 

This is how fans used to travel......

image.png.338448640c13d3628d2f8b2e0214076e.png

Snider at Penn 2003. Don't really wanna discuss the game though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

There's actually a cartoon about that the South Bend Tribune put out regarding that. Overall, Penn has a slight advantage over Snider in the win column, but you're right, there was a period where Penn would blow through the regular season unblemished before running into Snider. The 90's I believe. Ironically, isn't that when Penn was winning state championships? 

This is how fans used to travel......

image.png.338448640c13d3628d2f8b2e0214076e.png

Snider at Penn 2003. Don't really wanna discuss the game though. 

That was my Freshman year. If you had asked me, I never thought we would score that much on Snider. Heck an onside kick returned for a TD. Everything went our way that night. 

1994 is a great example of Penn going 10-0 and runs right into Snider in the sectional final. Gives up 24 points, in their first challenge of the season. 

Sorry Decatur Central...We will stop fawning over the good old days. lol