Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Best High School QB you have personally witnessed play in the last decade.

On 5/8/2024 at 5:36 AM, foxbat said:

There are four on the IHSAA career stat site that I've seen in person:

• Chris Mills - LCC
  • Clark Barrett - LCC
  • Mikey Kidwell - West Lafayette
  • Kyle Adams - West Lafayette

Hands down, the best of those four was Mills who graduated in 2009.  For last decade out of those above, I'd have to go with Kidwell who graduated in 2016.

Best I've seen in the past two decades, in no particular order:

Chris Mills, LCC, UIndy

Eric Watt (no relation), South Newton, Trine

Nick Zachery, Sheridan, IU

Jack Kiser, Pioneer, Notre Dame

On 5/20/2024 at 12:32 PM, AG said:

Chris Mills, LCC, UIndy

As odd as it sounds, I was more impressed with Zachery and Kiser, when I saw them both in person, for their defensive play as opposed to their offensive, QB style.  In the LCC-Sheridan game that I saw, I think it was 2011, LCC shutout Sheridan.  If I recall correctly though, that game was not decided until the 4th quarter and the offensive standout for Sheridan that I remembered for that game was a kid whose name I think was Callahan.  He was a kid that everytime he touched the ball, you worried that he could break it ... not from speed, but just sheer bowling people over.  In that Pioneer game, I think Kiser did more on defense to keep LCC from getting traction.  On offense, I remember the Llewellyns being the offensive stars of that game.  You could certainly make a case, in both the cases of Zachery and Kiser, in those two specific games, that they both kept the team held together, playing both sides of the ball. 

Unfortunately, I only got to see those two guys in a single game each.  I think, it's certainly a case that, sometimes, a single game might not be an indication of great careers.  On the other hand, I had a chance to see Mills all the way from 5th grade through high school graduation and kind of the same with Kidwell when he played youth ball at Benton Central and then later on when he ended up at West Lafayette.

Posted (edited)

both Zachary and Kiser were option style power runners….nothing new to evaluate and base opinions for qb play on throwing the ball.  

Zachary (senior year was 2008 btw)believe was 2-0 against LCC both in playoffs and Kiser’s teams played LCC four straight years in playoffs. Kiser scored 16 rushing td’s in those four games. Couple of those games were real classics. 

Edited by RingLeader

I could easily say Brady Allen or any of the other Gibson Southern QBs….but when it comes to QBs that were just “That dude” and unforgettable…

Kenton Crews, Heritage Hills (2012-2016?)

His stats probably were not anything crazy but that dude put the fear of god in me.  GS runs up tempo offenses…I was praying for GS to milk the clock so he wouldn’t get the ball in his hands. 

it’s a decade later and I still think about that dude every time GS plays HH

11 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I could easily say Brady Allen or any of the other Gibson Southern QBs….but when it comes to QBs that were just “That dude” and unforgettable…

Kenton Crews, Heritage Hills (2012-2016?)

His stats probably were not anything crazy but that dude put the fear of god in me.  GS runs up tempo offenses…I was praying for GS to milk the clock so he wouldn’t get the ball in his hands. 

it’s a decade later and I still think about that dude every time GS plays HH

Kenton wasn’t a QB but definitely a game changer.  Might be thinking of Sigler at QB and his running ability?   Or both?

2 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

Kenton wasn’t a QB but definitely a game changer.  Might be thinking of Sigler at QB and his running ability?   Or both?

With the way HH runs an offense who knows lol.  The best athlete on the team is usually the QB so maybe I just assumed he was QB when recalling him playing 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

With the way HH runs an offense who knows lol.  The best athlete on the team is usually the QB so maybe I just assumed he was QB when recalling him playing 

Funny, Kenton's name came up at lunch today.  

The dude would be running fast and people that didn't know any better would say "wow, he's fast", and then he would go up 2 more gears.  He was a freak athlete.  

On 5/22/2024 at 4:37 PM, HHPatriots said:

Funny, Kenton's name came up at lunch today.  

The dude would be running fast and people that didn't know any better would say "wow, he's fast", and then he would go up 2 more gears.  He was a freak athlete.  

He's a conservation officer now.

Imagine being in the woods and thinking it is a good idea to run away from him.

• Haha 2

Luke Goode started as a sophomore at Homestead. After our season was over, we watched them play Carroll for a sectional title. Luke could have easily been a D1 QB. That was his last year to play football though. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 12:32 PM, AG said:

Chris Mills, LCC, UIndy

Could be wrong but didn’t Eric Watt win the Heisman equivalent for D-3 and played NFL Europe. Incredible player/athlete

2 hours ago, RingLeader said:

Could be wrong but didn’t Eric Watt win the Heisman equivalent for D-3 and played NFL Europe. Incredible player/athlete

I worked his last high school game: a semistate loss to Sheridan and Nick Zachary. He was fabulous. Zachary was fabulous-er.

7 hours ago, RingLeader said:

I remember him winning the D3 Heisman. I'm not sure if he played in Europe.

20 hours ago, RingLeader said:

Yes he did play in Italy for a year after college. Lost in the play-offs to former Purdue Running Back Jaycen Taylor.

I can't think of anyone noteworthy that I've personally seen live in the past 10 years. All time for being in attendance would be Rex Grossman. I was at the RCA Dome when he absolutely shredded the Homestead defense for the 5A Title. 

On 6/1/2024 at 9:53 PM, Boilernation said:

I can't think of anyone noteworthy that I've personally seen live in the past 10 years. All time for being in attendance would be Rex Grossman. I was at the RCA Dome when he absolutely shredded the Homestead defense for the 5A Title. 

That was a good Homestead team. I was shocked at the outcome.