Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1A Game of the Week: South Adams @ Adams Central

Alright, let's get some chatter about this one started. There's a whole lot to this one as it is a rivalry with bragging rights. Bragging right #1: winner is the county champion of the regular season as both squads handled Bellmont. Bragging right #2: winner is in the driver's seat for the ACAC crown. Adams Central is the 2x defending conference champion currently. 

Disclaimer: I'm a Flying Jet graduate and former player (not a good one 😂). Looking to this matchup from the beginning of the season, I believed South Adams would be the favorite and most likely winner. After watching the first 5 weeks, nothing has changed in that regard. However, the Flying Jets are a lot better than I expected them to be this year. Looking at SA, the offense runs through the QB Arnold. This team is a high flying offense as he throws it all over the field to numerous weapons. WR Stutzman is a favorite target, as is Wanner and Bixler. Do not forget about the H-Back Miller either. South Adams also has two physical RBs in Stuber and Summersett behind a big physical OL. The Flying Jets defense is going to have their hands full to say the least. I'd look for Arnold to take advantage of some size differential between his receivers and the AC defensive backs. As for the Flying Jets offense, not much has changed other than the names. Still a ground and pound Double Wing T offense (splits instead of tight ends though). However, they have thrown in more play action passing that has been very effective this season. Blake Heyerly has been the workhorse on the ground, while Schwaller has hit Neuenschwander, Mosser, and Green to name a few receivers.

All of the news crews will be their for this ACAC showdown. It is the Highlight Zone game of the week. (Could be The Score's as well). I'm sure WZBD has it covered for the local radio, and ESPN 1380 is covering it as well. Thinking I may watch the webcast from The Berne Witness as I may not be able to get to the stadium in time for a good seat. The Airstrip in Monroe will be packed as the Starfires & Flying Jets will battle on the Landing Strip at Rich Minnich Field. For a few hours families will be rooting against one another and showing their school colors of either black and yellow or red, white,  & gray. My family will be no different as I have a mixture of Flying Jets and Starfires making up the majority of my family.

Here's to a great game on Friday and may the best team win!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoachVeatch said:

After having game planned against both so far, I believe these are the best 2 teams in 1A football. And that's not a knock against anyone else. More a complement to these 2 programs, and the jobs Coach Mosser, and Coach Moser do.

I don't want to get the topic off track, but have you seen the Parke Heritage Wolfs play yet? I think they could make a claim to be up at the top of 1A. They are coached by Brian Moore who is in the Hall of Fame and just won his 200th game. 

They run a wide open offense with stud athletes all over the field. Just wondered if you had seen them and how they compared to the Adams county schools. 

9 hours ago, Tanka Jahari said:

I don't want to get the topic off track, but have you seen the Parke Heritage Wolfs play yet? I think they could make a claim to be up at the top of 1A. They are coached by Brian Moore who is in the Hall of Fame and just won his 200th game. 

They run a wide open offense with stud athletes all over the field. Just wondered if you had seen them and how they compared to the Adams county schools. 

You are freaking everywhere!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, BTF said:

Exciting game for sure. What time do the gates open?

My guess would be around 6 but I'm not sure. I remember the 2016 season waiting at South Adams for the gates to open with my grandpa in his wheelchair and having to wait on the gates to open. Hopefully AC has it ready to go as there should be a good crowd awaiting to get in.

48 minutes ago, Basementbias said:

My guess would be around 6 but I'm not sure. I remember the 2016 season waiting at South Adams for the gates to open with my grandpa in his wheelchair and having to wait on the gates to open. Hopefully AC has it ready to go as there should be a good crowd awaiting to get in.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I always though the mascot name "Flying Jets" a bit strange.  Don't Jets already fly because, well, that is what they are built to do?

And what the uheck is a "Starfire"?  Sounds like a superhero name to me.

You’d think they’d pick something normal like Hot Dogs

Edited by Donnie Baker

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I always though the mascot name "Flying Jets" a bit strange.  Don't Jets already fly because, well, that is what they are built to do?

And what the heck is a "Starfire"?  Sounds like a superhero name to me.

Yes the Flying part of Flying Jets seemed a bit redundant. I'd have personally went with Fighting or Fighter Jets. The Starfire is a car from Oldsmobile, though I'm not sure that was the intended naming.  

3 hours ago, NE8Fan said:

This one is going to be a dandy.  

I'm hoping it will be closer than what I expect it will be. If South Adams gets any chance to put big numbers on the board, they will do so after the last 3 years or so.

Based on the little I know it does indeed look to be a very good game.  I'm thinking SA by 2 scores.  No friends/relatives at either school so if I was there I would want to see a close game.  Weather Channel has temp in mid-high 60's and 40% chance of showers.  I would hate to see a good game like this get ruined by a soaked field, so hopefully no rain.

Oh, and back when I played we always referred to them as the Adams Central "Jets".  Maybe it was just us that did that?

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

Is there another game in the state that is bigger than this one?

Learned tonight that gates are opening at 5:45 and both schools sold an allotment of presale tickets. 

8 hours ago, Basementbias said:

Yes the Flying part of Flying Jets seemed a bit redundant. I'd have personally went with Fighting or Fighter Jets. The Starfire is a car from Oldsmobile, though I'm not sure that was the intended naming.  

I'm hoping it will be closer than what I expect it will be. If South Adams gets any chance to put big numbers on the board, they will do so after the last 3 years or so.

I believe they both my hall of fame—kudos.

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what they teams run? Spread? wing-t? Ect. 

Will they play in the sectional?

Who are the studs on both teams? 

What makes both teams so tough?

MAYBE I SHOULDNT HAVE SKIPPED OVER THE FIRST POST, it answers 90% of my questions. Lol 

Edited by Oldbleacherfan

On 9/23/2019 at 2:04 PM, CoachVeatch said:

After having game planned against both so far, I believe these are the best 2 teams in 1A football. And that's not a knock against anyone else. More a complement to these 2 programs, and the jobs Coach Mosser, and Coach Moser do.

I believe LCC and Indianapolis Lutheran would like a word. 

LCC will be your North rep more than likely. 

6 hours ago, Ultimate Warrior said:

I believe LCC and Indianapolis Lutheran would like a word. 

LCC will be your North rep more than likely. 

This is the premier 1A game on on tap this week.... I dont think anyone from lcc would make that claim..... other than they r a threat .... at this point.... 

11 hours ago, Oldbleacherfan said:

Can anyone give me a breakdown of what they teams run? Spread? wing-t? Ect. 

Will they play in the sectional?

Who are the studs on both teams? 

What makes both teams so tough?

MAYBE I SHOULDNT HAVE SKIPPED OVER THE FIRST POST, it answers 90% of my questions. Lol 

Would play in the regional, but had been sectional opponents for the last few years since SA dropped down to 1A. South Adams will have to get by Monroe Central again, while the Jets would have to get by Busco and Southwood. Both Busco and Southwood are tough matchups for the Jets.

Well it's game day finally! For those that can't make it, The Berne Witness does a webcast. It will also be on radio for 1380 AM/103.9FM (Ft Wayne area north otherwise 103.9FM is Jay County for the Adams Co & other areas). I'd have to believe 92.7 FM WZBD (Adams County Radio) has the broadcast as well. Good luck to both teams! GO JETS!