Jump to content

Mr. Football


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

Now that the season is over, curious if anyone thinks there is a legit case for anyone other than Charlie Spegal for Mr. Football?  I know I am biased,  but objectively I can't see voting for anyone else. 

From a statistical standpoint,  Charlie is the guy.  In fact, he should and will win.  From a best football player standpoint, there are several players who are on par with him.   One of them is also on NP. The Hook as i like to call him. . Also, Taylor from Chatard, Valpo DE, he is Jr though. Bailey Parker had a huge year.  Archbald from Homestead. Combs from Memorial. Finley from Dwenger.  Carmel LB. DE at New Pal also every bit as important as Charlie.  Cathedral Safety is very good too. I’m sure I’m missing a few but that’s off the top of my head.  However,  Charlie is a once in a generation player who was the perfect player for his teams style of play.   He is also EXTREMELY durable, highly underrated as a blocker and overall football player.  He is hands down the man and if anyone votes for anyone else, they should lose their voting privileges.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brock combs should be nominated

 

I usually don’t like to say this but without Brock combs memorial is not the 4A champion. I know this is a team sport and there are 10 other guys...but... They might not have even made it out of sectionals tbh. Every Friday I was seeing insane highlights. He had a magical post season...

5 games

500 yards rushing 6 touchdowns 

26 total tackle...9.5 TFL

4.5 sacks

1 INT...for a touchdown.

1 Forced Fumble 

7 total touchdowns 

...this is a guy who had 70 yards rushing prior to the playoffs.  Not sure what caused the switch to lean on him as a RB all of a sudden but it worked.  
 

just an insane amount of contribution he gave to this memorial team on a truly special run 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Brock combs should be nominated

 

I usually don’t like to say this but without Brock combs memorial is not the 4A champion. I know this is a team sport and there are 10 other guys...but... They might not have even made it out of sectionals tbh. Every Friday I was seeing insane highlights. He had a magical post season...

5 games

500 yards rushing 6 touchdowns 

26 total tackle...9.5 TFL

4.5 sacks

1 INT...for a touchdown.

1 Forced Fumble 

7 total touchdowns 

...this is a guy who had 70 yards rushing prior to the playoffs.  Not sure what caused the switch to lean on him as a RB all of a sudden but it worked.  
 

just an insane amount of contribution he gave to this memorial team on a truly special run 

I think EM HC knew who his DUDE at RB would be heading into the season. Credit coaches for waiting till week 7 vs Central and the tournament games. Not sure his body would have held up being the feature back all season. Being a physical DE is tough enough without getting hit all season on offense. Plus it really helped develop a kid who IMO will be a stud two way player the next two years. 

Edited by Screagle
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, dmizers3 said:

Now that the season is over, curious if anyone thinks there is a legit case for anyone other than Charlie Spegal for Mr. Football?  I know I am biased,  but objectively I can't see voting for anyone else. 

I think this is the easiest winner in recent memory. Charlie easily could have won this a Junior and probably could have been in the conversation as a Sophomore if it weren't for the SR only rule. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, OldschoolFB said:

From a statistical standpoint,  Charlie is the guy.  In fact, he should and will win.  From a best football player standpoint, there are several players who are on par with him.   One of them is also on NP. The Hook as i like to call him. . Also, Taylor from Chatard, Valpo DE, he is Jr though. Bailey Parker had a huge year.  Archbald from Homestead. Combs from Memorial. Finley from Dwenger.  Carmel LB. DE at New Pal also every bit as important as Charlie.  Cathedral Safety is very good too. I’m sure I’m missing a few but that’s off the top of my head.  However,  Charlie is a once in a generation player who was the perfect player for his teams style of play.   He is also EXTREMELY durable, highly underrated as a blocker and overall football player.  He is hands down the man and if anyone votes for anyone else, they should lose their voting privileges.  

Could not agree more. Lots of great players out there.  I was hugely impressed with Valpo's junior DE and while I think Maxen Hook was probably New Pal's best pure football player this year the award is an easy decision. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Charlie is obviously going to get it but man Brock Combs lead his team to a 4A state championship. Coaching staff wanted him healthy it's why they didn't use him at RB until postseason. I think if he only played RB for  14 could of been 2,000 yard rusher or close to it. He was the best defensive player we watched play all weekend IMO dude just plays hard!!!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, FormerFalcon said:

There are several deserving players, but if Charlie doesn't win the award should be retired

Patiently waiting for the Warren contingent chiming in about how the award should have been retired after last year... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, QB said:

Patiently waiting for the Warren contingent chiming in about how the award should have been retired after last year... 

I get the small school argument, but Jack Kiser would have been a stud at any school. That's where the argument is lost on me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Anyone who doesn't vote for Spegal should just watch the TD run vs. Valpo and the one from last year's State Finals vs. Decatur Central on an endless loop. 

That was impressive!  It looked like his goal was to make sure he made contact with all eleven of Valpo's defenders before crossing the goal line.  I though he was going to turn around and run over the one last guy that didn't touch him on that play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Kizer was a worthy pick last year though the right pick would have been Bell, imo. There's no race like that this year. It's Spegal.

After watching the Freshman year that he had a Purdue I agree that Bell could have won it as well. I just watched Spegal's highlights and just wow. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I lost faith in this award when Russ Yeast did not get it.  He was the best player on the field that year but he did not win and I ask then is this a 4 year award or a senior award for best player. With that being said I do think Spegal is the lead to get it, but are we doing his  value on this year or all four

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I lost faith in this award when Russ Yeast did not get it.  He was the best player on the field that year but he did not win and I ask then is this a 4 year award or a senior award for best player. With that being said I do think Spegal is the lead to get it, but are we doing his  value on this year or all four

 

Either way it's his... IS the record holder of Rushing Yards and TDs, I believe.  It should be the most lopsided vote in history and that isn't to take anything away from the other guys as those guys should get some recognition too... But what Charlie has done and the records he broke... Those may stand for a while. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Either way it's his... IS the record holder of Rushing Yards and TDs, I believe.  It should be the most lopsided vote in history and that isn't to take anything away from the other guys as those guys should get some recognition too... But what Charlie has done and the records he broke... Those may stand for a while. 

It will definitely stand for awhile. It will take a RB starting as a Freshman and starting all 4 years to even attempt to break them. Not only that but they have to average great numbers each year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe I am too lazy to look it up as I am certain it is available, but could someone in the know post Charlie's actual career stats?  I know he went over 10k yards but what are the exact figures in terms of carries, yards, TD's, etc?

(And no I am not advocating it to be a career award as it is exclusive to seniors, so only senior year performances should be used; either way he wins in a landslide.)

Not to beat a dead horse or bring up past arguments but I think that is what rubbed people the wrong way in the past as mentioned two times on this thread.  

I agree that Yeast and Bell had strong cases for the award and possibly "should" have won but many folks looked at the career stats for Johnson (Brownsburg) and Kiser (Pioneer) and voted that way.  I could be completely reaching here but that's how I viewed it anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Maybe I am too lazy to look it up as I am certain it is available, but could someone in the know post Charlie's actual career stats?  I know he went over 10k yards but what are the exact figures in terms of carries, yards, TD's, etc?

(And no I am not advocating it to be a career award as it is exclusive to seniors, so only senior year performances should be used; either way he wins in a landslide.)

Not to beat a dead horse or bring up past arguments but I think that is what rubbed people the wrong way in the past as mentioned two times on this thread.  

I agree that Yeast and Bell had strong cases for the award and possibly "should" have won but many folks looked at the career stats for Johnson (Brownsburg) and Kiser (Pioneer) and voted that way.  I could be completely reaching here but that's how I viewed it anyway.

Carries -1331

Yards - 10867

YPC - 8.2

YPG - 213.1

Rushing TDs- 173

Total TDs - 175

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Temptation said:

Maybe I am too lazy to look it up as I am certain it is available, but could someone in the know post Charlie's actual career stats?  I know he went over 10k yards but what are the exact figures in terms of carries, yards, TD's, etc?

(And no I am not advocating it to be a career award as it is exclusive to seniors, so only senior year performances should be used; either way he wins in a landslide.)

Not to beat a dead horse or bring up past arguments but I think that is what rubbed people the wrong way in the past as mentioned two times on this thread.  

I agree that Yeast and Bell had strong cases for the award and possibly "should" have won but many folks looked at the career stats for Johnson (Brownsburg) and Kiser (Pioneer) and voted that way.  I could be completely reaching here but that's how I viewed it anyway.

For Kiser it was about making history. If I remember right, Kiser nearly swept the 1A and 2A vote to become the first 1A player to win Mr. Football.

  • Disdain 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Carries -1331

Yards - 10867

YPC - 8.2

YPG - 213.1

Rushing TDs- 173

Total TDs - 175

Senior year stats alone:

Games Played -14

Carries - 330

Yards - 3,168

YPC - 9.6

YPG - 226.3

Rushing TD's - 55

Only 3 fumbles all year (lost 1) that is 1 turnover in 330 carries. he only has 5 total turnovers career in 1,331 carries! Amazing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...