Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Do You Follow @gridirondigest on Twitter?

So we've had @gridirondigest on Twitter since before the IHSAA had an account. We have the unique feature to instantly reshare any tweet we're mentioned in instantly and automatically. This is particularly useful for game updates, scores, feeds, and multimedia. 

Do you follow TGD on Twitter? 

What would you like to see more or less of? 

I tend to only follow on game days while out at a game.  No real preference on the more/less aspect.  I'm normally just checking for updated scores during game time, so as long as folks are posting them, that mainly all I come for on Twitter ... I don't even have a Twitter account.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

I do not have a Twitter account, nor will I ever have one.

As the previous poster mentioned, you don't need a Twitter account to view public Twitter profiles. Thanks for your contributions to this Twitter-specific thread Muda. If privacy is your concern, you can create anonymous accounts with anonymous email servicses using VPNs and browsers which don't track you. If your concern is Twitter's notorious algorithms which control the content you see, that can be disabled.

Anyway, BACk on topic. This will be the first week of 2020 that we will be autosharing instantly scores, updates, and multimedia which mention @gridirondigest or use the #TGD hashtag with our thousands of followers.

• Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

37 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

Thanks for your contributions to this Twitter-specific thread Muda.

You are welcome, hhpatriot.

38 minutes ago, hhpatriot04 said:

If privacy is your concern, you can create anonymous accounts with anonymous email servicses using VPNs and browsers which don't track you. If your concern is Twitter's notorious algorithms which control the content you see, that can be disabled.

Meh, too much work.   And I prefer not to access a service run by Jack Dorsey.

• Disdain 1

10 hours ago, Staxawax said:

I follow it. But typically, just like tonight, a tweet will read:

BC  7

EHS  7

I have no idea who these 2 schools are. And I doubt 90% of GID does either. But it was of great interest to the OP.

BC = Brownstown Central

EHS = Eastern (Pekin)

16 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I’m in the twitter world and use TGD every Friday toggling thru scores. Seems most high schools have a twitter account and post updates as well. I don’t have any suggestions as I get exactly what I need from TGD account. 

Ah, a Cub fan!😎

Often journalists or people posting updates just mention teams' full names in the first post of the "thread" because they assume followers know what game they are updating. Character limits on Twitter also can be a reason. Good practice to use the team or school's Twitter handle to avoid confusion and increase the reach/engagement of your tweets.

13 hours ago, Staxawax said:

I follow it. But typically, just like tonight, a tweet will read:

BC  7

EHS  7

I have no idea who these 2 schools are. And I doubt 90% of GID does either. But it was of great interest to the OP.

Can also be confusing as there are several schools that share the same lettering and, sometimes, there's an inconsistency, across sites, as to how they themselves refer to teams.  Lafayette Central Catholic is usually abbreviated as LCC, which I believe might be unique in Indiana team lettering, but a lot of folks just listed it as CC which could also be Crawford County, Clinton Central, Columbia City, Covenant Christian, Corydon Central, and even Cambridge City Lincoln if folks call it . 

Across sites, it also ends up being an issue ... Chatard, for example, is Bishop Chatard on CalPreps, Indianapolis Chatard on Harrell's site, and  Indianapolis Bishop Chatard on Maxpreps.  Usually gets abbreviated BC, but around the Lafayette area, BC tends to be Benton Central ... although there may be a local Catholic contingent that thinks "Bishop Chatard" when they hear/see "BC."

I think @hhpatriot04 has a good suggestion that can help in clarification as well as, as he states, also increase the reach/engagement of the tweets by using the school's Twitter handle.  Would there be a way to pin on GID the Twitter handle of the various schools so that folks could see them?  Or maybe join them together with the distribution map that would show you the school, their class, and maybe their Twitter handle?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Didn't know you were a Hills fan. 😀

Just kidding!

I'm more of a Mount Vernon fan. If I can't watch them, it's North Central. Every once in a while I'll watch Tri, Tri-County or Tri-Central.

Edited by gonzoron
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Can also be confusing as there are several schools that share the same lettering and, sometimes, there's an inconsistency, across sites, as to how they themselves refer to teams.  Lafayette Central Catholic is usually abbreviated as LCC, which I believe might be unique in Indiana team lettering, but a lot of folks just listed it as CC which could also be Crawford County, Clinton Central, Columbia City, Covenant Christian, Corydon Central, and even Cambridge City Lincoln if folks call it . 

Across sites, it also ends up being an issue ... Chatard, for example, is Bishop Chatard on CalPreps, Indianapolis Chatard on Harrell's site, and  Indianapolis Bishop Chatard on Maxpreps.  Usually gets abbreviated BC, but around the Lafayette area, BC tends to be Benton Central ... although there may be a local Catholic contingent that thinks "Bishop Chatard" when they hear/see "BC."

I think @hhpatriot04 has a good suggestion that can help in clarification as well as, as he states, also increase the reach/engagement of the tweets by using the school's Twitter handle.  Would there be a way to pin on GID the Twitter handle of the various schools so that folks could see them?  Or maybe join them together with the distribution map that would show you the school, their class, and maybe their Twitter handle?

In the past (2010 era) @WCGrad92 and I made a Google Sheet that had each team's website, FB page, Twitter handle, etc... I'm sure that Google Sheet is still on my drive, but teams change FB pages and Twitter handles year-to-year (usually parents or booster clubs come and go without ensuring their account info is properly passed along). Slowly you're seeing Athletic Directors establish "official" accounts and sharing final scores for all sports or for larger sports or if say a team goes on a tournament run, they'll share more frequent updates. Trying to make a list is a bit like trying to herd cats. We have nearly 9,000 followers on Twitter without paid promotions and little unpaid promotion ( @DK_Barons can add a link to TGD Twitter & FB pages on our menus). Probably a quarter or more of those followers are inactive accounts -- parents who only followed a program while their child played. Still, if we're consistent with it, it'll grow and TGD followers will grow it themselves.

• Like 1

Keep it! The more exposure the better imo. Could you link the TGD twitter to auto share with IST? I see most of the local media referencing IST more than TGD.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, foxbat said:

Or having high schools with the abbreviations WC. Which stand for Warren Central, Warsaw Community, Whiteland Community, Winamac Community, Winchester Community, and West Central. 

Edited by Warren Central Warrior
Forgot West Central

Forget same acronyms, several schools across the state have the same name:

- North Central (Indianapolis and Farmersburg)

- Mount Vernon (Fortville and Posey County)

I'm sure there are others, the one that always annoyed me was Hamilton Heights and Heritage Hills when both were ranked in 3A.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:40 PM, hhpatriot04 said:

Forget same acronyms, several schools across the state have the same name:

- North Central (Indianapolis and Farmersburg)

- Mount Vernon (Fortville and Posey County)

I'm sure there are others, the one that always annoyed me was Hamilton Heights and Heritage Hills when both were ranked in 3A.

Eastern (Greentown) and the aforementioned Eastern (Pekin) is another.