Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Conference Realignment - What's Coming in the Next Round?


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Like I said, I generally get along with all but 2 or 3 people on this site.

Don’t sweat it. Just be better.

You owe too much money for all the space I occupy in your head and I don’t want to jeopardize that.

Sleep well.

I will.  Next to my wife/girlfriend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Nice!!!

I’ve been married all of 16 days, don’t jinx it.

If you're married, you're already jinxed. 😀

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

Usually you say “Lord forgive me for that” after a post like that. I swear to God you do

Normally I would, but I was thinking that my wife would have posted it before me if she had seen it first, so I didn't feel as guilty.  Matter of fact, I know a few guys on this site and their wives and their wives would have beaten them to the punch as well.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Normally I would, but I was thinking that my wife would have posted it before me if she had seen it first, so I didn't feel as guilty.  Matter of fact, I know a few guys on this site and their wives and their wives would have beaten them to the punch as well.

Says one of several women here on the GID. Me of course 

Edited by Warren Central Warrior
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think the Terre Hautes are an interesting topic. Do you really think they'll further split into another school? More likely they'll consolidate into one school. I don't want to have to figure out which ones survive, but I think this is much more the trend in these communities rather than splitting into another 3A.

Edited by BDGiant93
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2022 at 3:49 PM, HHF said:

ADs and Admins would rather get beaten to a pulp week after week than lose football revenue and deep six their entire athletic budget.  It is what it is.  

Looking forward, we have a new generation of admins who are considerably less sportsminded, often times more female, and will likely be more willing to pull the plug on football than would their predecessors.  

Three of the best AD's I've ever worked with have been women. Alice Underwood at Franklin Central, Priscilla Dillow and Heather McGowan at Ben Davis

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

I think the Terre Hautes are an interesting topic. Do you really think they'll further split into another school? More likely they'll consolidate into one school. I don't want to have to figure out which ones survive, but I think this is much more the trend in these communities rather than splitting into another 3A.

The school corp's referendum on the ballot last week failed by a massive margin. It was supposed to raise property taxes and bring in over $200M so the corporation could renovate the 3 high schools. That failed so who knows what happens now. I've heard from people around the city they wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 1 massive high school. Another was combining West Vigo/Terre Haute North into one high school. I'm not sure what happens. I'm not a big fan of the massive high school idea. I don't wanna see WV go away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Three of the best AD's I've ever worked with have been women. Alice Underwood at Franklin Central, Priscilla Dillow and Heather McGowan at Ben Davis

Ditto. Janis Qualizza and Amy Beckham at Merrillville, and Patty McCormick at Lowell come immediately to mind. There are plenty of others.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

Three of the best AD's I've ever worked with have been women. Alice Underwood at Franklin Central, Priscilla Dillow and Heather McGowan at Ben Davis

I have a "crush" on Heather McGowan.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wvigo13 said:

The school corp's referendum on the ballot last week failed by a massive margin. It was supposed to raise property taxes and bring in over $200M so the corporation could renovate the 3 high schools. That failed so who knows what happens now. I've heard from people around the city they wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 1 massive high school. Another was combining West Vigo/Terre Haute North into one high school. I'm not sure what happens. I'm not a big fan of the massive high school idea. I don't wanna see WV go away.

I'd hate to see it too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another interesting school for the near future is Whiteland. Growing incredibly quickly and could possibly get to the size of a Center Grove within 5-6 years (only about a 10 minute drive between Whiteland and CG). You have to think that it would outgrow the Mid-State conference. Not sure how that plays out, but do keep in mind CG will either try to get back in the HCC or create a new conference. From very good sources, I believe a new conference will be formed within 5 years and CG will be at the helm of it. Maybe Whiteland will try and continue that growth and look for something larger.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wvigo13 said:

I've heard from people around the city they wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 1 massive high school.

That would be the worst case scenario. Vigo County would be best served by 4 7-12 grade schools, with West Vigo as the "prototype" so to speak. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

Another interesting school for the near future is Whiteland. Growing incredibly quickly and could possibly get to the size of a Center Grove within 5-6 years (only about a 10 minute drive between Whiteland and CG). You have to think that it would outgrow the Mid-State conference. Not sure how that plays out, but do keep in mind CG will either try to get back in the HCC or create a new conference. From very good sources, I believe a new conference will be formed within 5 years and CG will be at the helm of it. Maybe Whiteland will try and continue that growth and look for something larger.

Yep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

That would be the worst case scenario. Vigo County would be best served by 4 7-12 grade schools, with West Vigo as the "prototype" so to speak. 

I'm curious to see what happens next. With the referendum now off the table, the school corp now has massive questions to answer. The 3 high schools have issues, all need to either be renovated or rebuilt. We could see some programs/activities dropped to come up with the money for the improvements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Another interesting school for the near future is Whiteland. Growing incredibly quickly and could possibly get to the size of a Center Grove within 5-6 years (only about a 10 minute drive between Whiteland and CG). You have to think that it would outgrow the Mid-State conference. Not sure how that plays out, but do keep in mind CG will either try to get back in the HCC or create a new conference. From very good sources, I believe a new conference will be formed within 5 years and CG will be at the helm of it. Maybe Whiteland will try and continue that growth and look for something larger.

I have no "inside" source, but I'm told by multiple people they expect this next year to be "quiet" publicly and then in 23-24 an announcement for some significant changes to the Indy Metro conference landscape.  Most of those people have different opinions on what that will be.  

Personally, I would like to see HCC remain relatively unchanged but see Carmel/CG basically rotate around the HCC football world as semi-permanent non-conf games...that's a voting bloc of one, and I don't actually get a vote. 

My gut tells me there will be more domino's to drop and chairs to shuffle.

 

Edited by US31
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, US31 said:

I have no "inside" source, but I'm told by multiple people they expect this next year to be "quiet" publicly and then in 23-24 an announcement for some significant changes to the Indy Metro conference landscape.  Most of those people have different opinions on what that will be.  

Personally, I would like to see HCC remain relatively unchanged but see Carmel/CG basically rotate around the HCC football world as semi-permanent non-conf games...that's a voting bloc of one, and I don't actually get a vote. 

My gut tells me there will be more domino's to drop and chairs to shuffle.

 

I believe that CG and possibly Carmel will create a new conference. Possibly 2-3 teams will be poached from HCC and possibly a couple from the MIC. These are legitimately conversations that are ongoing. I believe it was a mistake for the HCC not to let them in. 
 

Now, Carmel will be and always will be an interesting factor. Schools do not want carmel in their conference. If CG is smart, they should not tie themselves with Carmel. 
 

you are correct in stating that the landscape of these Indy Metro conferences will be changed. Give it a year or 2 and things will be VERY different.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

I believe that CG and possibly Carmel will create a new conference. Possibly 2-3 teams will be poached from HCC and possibly a couple from the MIC. These are legitimately conversations that are ongoing. I believe it was a mistake for the HCC not to let them in. 

Franklin, Whiteland, Franklin Central, Center Grove, Columbus North, Bloomington North, Bloomington South, Southport. Maybe Plainfield or Decatur Central if they continue to grow, although Plainfield could eventually end up in the HCC with its county rivals Brownsburg & Avon if it tops 2K (which it eventually will). 

Mostly 6As and a few larger 5As. 

Nobody wants to be in a league with Carmel, but they could end up in the HCC given everyone else in their county is in the league. 

What you're beginning to see in the Mid-State is a pretty wide separation - some schools (Whiteland, Franklin, Plainfield) are growing *fast* and are eventually going to be 6A while others (Mooresville, Martinsville, Greenwood) are declining or holding steady and are likely 4As for the foreseeable future. Could very easily see some movement between the Mid-State and Conference Indiana, especially if CI wants to shed the Terre Haute schools. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Franklin, Whiteland, Franklin Central, Center Grove, Columbus North, Bloomington North, Bloomington South, Southport. Maybe Plainfield or Decatur Central if they continue to grow, although Plainfield could eventually end up in the HCC with its county rivals Brownsburg & Avon if it tops 2K (which it eventually will). 

Mostly 6As and a few larger 5As. 

Nobody wants to be in a league with Carmel, but they could end up in the HCC given everyone else in their county is in the league. 

What you're beginning to see in the Mid-State is a pretty wide separation - some schools (Whiteland, Franklin, Plainfield) are growing *fast* and are eventually going to be 6A while others (Mooresville, Martinsville, Greenwood) are declining or holding steady and are likely 4As for the foreseeable future. Could very easily see some movement between the Mid-State and Conference Indiana, especially if CI wants to shed the Terre Haute schools. 

Franklin still has a while to grow. Bloomingtons will stay consistent in where they are at. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

I believe that CG and possibly Carmel will create a new conference. Possibly 2-3 teams will be poached from HCC and possibly a couple from the MIC. These are legitimately conversations that are ongoing. I believe it was a mistake for the HCC not to let them in. 
 

Now, Carmel will be and always will be an interesting factor. Schools do not want carmel in their conference. If CG is smart, they should not tie themselves with Carmel. 
 

you are correct in stating that the landscape of these Indy Metro conferences will be changed. Give it a year or 2 and things will be VERY different.

I expect to see Carmel as a long time independent.

They will start to get the kind of national exposure that is usually reserved for just the very top football schools in the country.  

Dropping back into a conference now would be a step back, which is not their style.  

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, HHF said:

I expect to see Carmel as a long time independent.

They will start to get the kind of national exposure that is usually reserved for just the very top football schools in the country.  

Dropping back into a conference now would be a step back, which is not their style.  

 

 

 

Understood. But just know it’s always better to be in a conference for all sports. Kids get awards, JV and freshmen games can be played, etc. I find it difficult for them to get into a conference in the near future though so I see them independent for a while. Most school I doubt will want to associate themselves with them at the moment. That’s why I still feel CG should not tie themselves to Carmel.

with all that being said, still a shame HCC didn’t let them in. And a total shame the MIC kicked them and CG out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2022 at 1:00 PM, wvigo13 said:

The school corp's referendum on the ballot last week failed by a massive margin. It was supposed to raise property taxes and bring in over $200M so the corporation could renovate the 3 high schools. That failed so who knows what happens now. I've heard from people around the city they wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with 1 massive high school. Another was combining West Vigo/Terre Haute North into one high school. I'm not sure what happens. I'm not a big fan of the massive high school idea. I don't wanna see WV go away.

The superintendent was in Elkhart when it was planned into one big high school. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Terre haute will not build a mega 6A type high school.  They are already on an island and a mega school would further isolate them from their neighbors and force them into independence.  Enrollment is dropping and eventually both THS and THN will be approaching 4A status, with puts them in line with the other 3a and 4A schools in the area and likely WIC membership.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HHF said:

Terre haute will not build a mega 6A type high school.  They are already on an island and a mega school would further isolate them from their neighbors and force them into independence.  Enrollment is dropping and eventually both THS and THN will be approaching 4A status, with puts them in line with the other 3a and 4A schools in the area and likely WIC membership.  

Agreed. They’ll need to do that for their future and will only help them in all athletics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...