Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Roncalli vs Shortridge and other clearly lopsided sectional games

I get it. Enrollment, geography, randomization... I get it. I am still wondering though how Roncalli and Shortridge are going to be allowed on the same playing field in two weeks.

The predictor has Roncalli as a 78.5 point favorite without homefield advantage (game is at Shortridge).

I have always been fascinated by blowouts, especially in high school football, and I am sure many of you are too. I would love to hear feedback on this topic.

8 hours ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

I get it. Enrollment, geography, randomization... I get it. I am still wondering though how Roncalli and Shortridge are going to be allowed on the same playing field in two weeks.

The predictor has Roncalli as a 78.5 point favorite without homefield advantage (game is at Shortridge).

I have always been fascinated by blowouts, especially in high school football, and I am sure many of you are too. I would love to hear feedback on this topic.

As I've been saying for years.......there is a quick and easy fix for something like this.

8 hours ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

The older I get, the more I realize all-in necessitates the blind draw.  Seeded sectionals with all-in would result in dozens of first round games like this one.  At least in a blind draw, Pike Central can draw Washington rather than both of those teams getting blown out by Vincennes and Gibson Southern. (sectional 30)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

The older I get, the more I realize all-in necessitates the blind draw.  Seeded sectionals with all-in would result in dozens of first round games like this one.  At least in a blind draw, Pike Central can draw Washington rather than both of those teams getting blown out by Vincennes and Gibson Southern. (sectional 30)

Correct.

The all-in format is the only way to justify current week 1 blowouts. The second the sectionals are seeded and there's 100+ non-competitive first round games will only open the door to a qualifier which isn't what the IHSAA wants. So instead, teams like Shortridge are the sacrificial lambs. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Correct.

The all-in format is the only way to justify current week 1 blowouts. The second the sectionals are seeded and there's 100+ non-competitive first round games will only open the door to a qualifier which isn't what the IHSAA wants. So instead, teams like Shortridge are the sacrificial lambs. 

Interesting point. The IHSAA is damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they implemented a qualifier and eliminated half the teams from the field, there would be an uproar. And you'd have loss of athletic department revenue. The only solution in my opinion is to seed the tournament with an all-in format. Sure there'll be lots of blowouts, but like they say, get better or get used to it. I just don't like to see good programs like Penn, Carroll, Brownsburg, and Ben Davis pack their bags after the first week. Those hard working programs earned their way to a deeper run. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Correct.

I wonder how they would respond if you asked Shortridge — and others in the same situation — their preference: Would you rather have a 1st round sectional game in which you have no practical chance, and in all likelihood will end your season with a running clock, or a 10th regular season game against an opponent of your choosing and no participation in the tournament?

3 minutes ago, BTF said:

And you'd have loss of athletic department revenue.

Please explain this statement. I’d like to hear how you came to that conclusion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

If they implemented a qualifier and eliminated half the teams from the field, there would be an uproar.

An uproar if a team that finished 0-9 or 1-8 wasn't invited to the postseason? Why? 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

And you'd have loss of athletic department revenue.

Add a 10th regular season game. Allow teams who didn't qualify for the postseason to play an end of the year "bowl game" if gate revenue is the sole purpose for maintaining an archaic playoff format. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out. 

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Please explain this statement. I’d like to hear how you came to that conclusion.

Re-read my post: "If they implemented a qualifier and eliminated half the teams from the field, there would be an uproar. And you'd have loss of athletic department revenue."

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

An uproar if a team that finished 0-9 or 1-8 wasn't invited to the postseason? Why? 

Add a 10th regular season game. Allow teams who didn't qualify for the postseason to play an end of the year "bowl game" if gate revenue is the sole purpose for maintaining an archaic playoff format. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out. 

The 0-9 or 1-8 team is accustomed to playing that 10th game. So yes, there would be some disappointment. I agree with "add a 10th regular season game."

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I wonder how they would respond if you asked Shortridge — and others in the same situation — their preference: Would you rather have a 1st round sectional game in which you have no practical chance, and in all likelihood will end your season with a running clock, or a 10th regular season game against an opponent of your choosing and no participation in the tournament?

I'm sure you'd hear the same nonsensical arguments that you hear from detractors on here.

"Every team starts fresh with a new slate come playoff time"

"Playing our best football right now"

"Kids have worked to hard to have their season end"

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

I'm sure you'd hear the same nonsensical arguments that you hear from detractors on here.

"Every team starts fresh with a new slate come playoff time"

"Playing our best football right now"

"Kids have worked to hard to have their season end"

Don’t forget “Our star [fill in the blank] was injured during the season, but is healthy now.”

24 minutes ago, BTF said:

Re-read my post: "If they implemented a qualifier and eliminated half the teams from the field, there would be an uproar. And you'd have loss of athletic department revenue."

I guess what I don’t understand how there would be a loss of revenue. If you added a 10th regular season game and cut the tournament field in half, you’re still playing the same number of total games. Why would revenue be less?

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I guess what I don’t understand how there would be a loss of revenue. If you added a 10th regular season game and cut the tournament field in half, you’re still playing the same number of total games. Why would revenue be less?

I missed "or a 10th regular season game against an opponent of your choosing" when reading through the posts. The 10th game would solve the qualifier issue with regard to revenue. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Because what would bring in more revenue for Frankfort?:

A.  A 10th regular reason game of 1-8 Frankfort versus 0-9 Marion @ Frankfort.

or 

B. A first round playoff game of 9-0 Kokomo versus 1-8 Frankfort @ Frankfort.

The logical answer would be B.

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Because what would bring in more revenue for Frankfort?:

A.  A 10th regular reason game of 1-8 Frankfort versus 0-9 Marion @ Frankfort.

or 

B. A first round playoff game of 9-0 Kokomo versus 1-8 Frankfort @ Frankfort.

The logical answer would be B.

If the IHSAA read these submissions, then you are in the process of giving them a migraine. 

23 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Because all the sectional teams get an equal split of the gate. A 10th regular season game between two bad teams isn't going to generate anywhere close to that amount. Look at Sectional 30. Washington and Pike Central will still get 1/8 of the gate from all 7 sectional games. The 3 games on the bottom are not going to be great gates (unless WV has a good fan base), but the 3 on the top are big gate games. If GS is in the final (very likely) it will be a big gate no matter who is one the other side.  As bad as it is, the first round match-up between Wash. & PC will likely draw more fans as a tournament game than as a 10th reg. season game bc neither has had many tournament wins (PC 1 & WHS 16). 

• Like 1

3 thoughts about programs qualifying:

1) A lot of teams would do their best to avoid any competition during the regular season. Who would want to play "independent" teams like Cathedral, Center Grove or Carmel? MIC and HCC schools already have a difficult schedule. On top of that, how many teams would want to bail their conference?

2) Programs would have to pick between money and increasing their odds to make the playoffs. If I'm Columbus North, I can schedule Perry Meridian or Cathedral. One gives me better odds to make the playoffs, but it cost our school money. This also goes for struggling programs that actually need the money. 

3) What happens to teams like Zionsville the past two years? I assume 4 win teams won't make the cut. 

Keep everything the way it is. Water will find it's level one way or another. 

We've seen below .500 teams win state multiple times. Some might have made the playoffs in a qualifier format, others not. You're not going to be perfect either way but don't let great be the enemy of good. I think the current system works just fine. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

The uproar in most situations where there's tends to come not from the 0-9 and 1-8 teams, but from 5-4 teams that miss the cut.  

1 hour ago, tango said:

Because all the sectional teams get an equal split of the gate. A 10th regular season game between two bad teams isn't going to generate anywhere close to that amount. Look at Sectional 30. Washington and Pike Central will still get 1/8 of the gate from all 7 sectional games. The 3 games on the bottom are not going to be great gates (unless WV has a good fan base), but the 3 on the top are big gate games. If GS is in the final (very likely) it will be a big gate no matter who is one the other side.  As bad as it is, the first round match-up between Wash. & PC will likely draw more fans as a tournament game than as a 10th reg. season game bc neither has had many tournament wins (PC 1 & WHS 16). 

Sounds like a pretty good description of an incentive program to encourage teams to do what’s necessary to qualify for the tournament. The overall effect being to raise the level of play across the board. 

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

We've seen below .500 teams win state multiple times. Some might have made the playoffs in a qualifier format, others not. You're not going to be perfect either way but don't let great be the enemy of good. I think the current system works just fine. 

Please identify the multiple state champs who would not have qualified for post season play under a format that includes 50% of the teams in each class, determined by a formula that recognizes a combination of W-L record and strength of schedule.

• Like 1