Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Greencastle 84 Brown County 0

What in the world is wrong with Brown County athletics? You think they'd be able to fund a decent athletics program with all of that tourist money. Neither the football or boy's basketball teams won a game last year. The boys basketball team lost to Crothersville, a team called Bloomington Lighthouse, and Columbus Christian. Yikes. This year, though, the football team won against Irvington Prep in their first year of 11-man football.

Edited by roaringthunderdlr

43 minutes ago, roaringthunderdlr said:

What in the world is wrong with Brown County athletics? You think they'd be able to fund a decent athletics program with all of that tourist money. Neither the football or boy's basketball teams won a game last year. The boys basketball team lost to Crothersville, a team called Bloomington Lighthouse, and Columbus Christian. Yikes. This year, though, the football team won against Irvington Prep in their first year of 11-man football.

I don’t think tourist money goes back to the schools.

As someone who goes to Brown County often, I can tell you that there isn’t much school pride there. I’m used to communities with signs in their yards rooting on their local teams but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that in Brown County. You wouldn’t even know they have an athletics program at the high school. There’s just not much support for the teams there. Never has been for as long as I can remember in my 34 years.

14 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I don’t think tourist money goes back to the schools.

As someone who goes to Brown County often, I can tell you that there isn’t much school pride there. I’m used to communities with signs in their yards rooting on their local teams but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that in Brown County. You wouldn’t even know they have an athletics program at the high school. There’s just not much support for the teams there. Never has been for as long as I can remember in my 34 years.

That's weird. I wonder why? Is it a bunch of retirees that live there?

4 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah I believe that’s the case. Lots of folks live there with no previous ties to the county. Seems like a lot of the youth there move out once they become adults.

Yep.  And the county is one of smaller in geographical area, along with population.   And a large portion of the county is taken up by public land like Brown County S.P.,  Yellowwood S.F, the HNF, etc.  Great for tourists, maybe not so great putting down roots.

The situation at BC has been a long time coming. Revolving doors in the AD’s office and from what I understand the principal’s office is what leads to this. I made the comment to some friends after working a MS game over there last year, how long before they give up on Football? It was clearly seen as something to just get over. I’m a Football guy, I want to see Football thrive, and that’s clearly not the case at BC. 

Facebook post from someone with direct knowledge of this game.....

It’s disgusting to hear what Greencastle did to Brown County in Varsity 🏈 last Friday. I taught at Greencastle & it’s a great town filled with wonderful people. 
But this is hard to justify….
-Went for 2 pt conversion up 34-0 in 2nd quarter
-Onside kick to get another possession up 36-0 w/ 9:00 left in 2Q
-Went for 2 pt conversion up 47-0 
-Up 63-0 at Half and starters still playing to start 3Q and they PASS for a TD
-Up 70-0 and they PASS for another TD!

This is not why school records are made. You want to break a school record? Do it in a competitive game. You don’t embarrass people when they’re down. This has no place in high school athletics. 
DO BETTER GREENCASTLE!!!!

• Like 2

Been keeping tabs on this from afar ....and trying to keep in mind that there are always 2 sides to every story - BUT - shouldn't the HC from Greencastle at least have to address how the score got so out of hand?? I find it hard to justify throwing that many TD passes in such a one sided contest?

The score can get out of hand and you can still handle it with class ...ie Coach McDaniel of the Dolphins kneeling on it instead of trying to set an NFL record....

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 10:59 AM, Rodney said:

I agree, the only time you should ever throw the ball is in the last seconds of a blowout win.

its to risky otherwise.

"Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad."   - Woody Hayes/Darrell Royal  (depending on whose story you believe.)

1 hour ago, Trenchwarfare said:

Allegedly GC continued to throw the ball because BC ran an 8 man box so they continued to throw as to avoid additional wear and tear on the varsity o-line/running back. 

🙄

They could have just done the sporting thing,  take a knee three times, running down the game clock in the process, then punt.  

14 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

Are there  any schools with the name “county” in it any good? I know Crawford county is trash from previous posts

im guessing these “county” schools face logistical challenges because so spread out

Not all one-school counties have that kind of logistical challenge.   Blackford county is one of if not the smallest county in the state,  and they haven't been successful in football for decades.